Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  > Should Guys pay the full amount on the first Date/Meet?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bayareaguy0427
Msg: 234
Should Guys pay the full amount on the first Date/Meet?Page 10 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
LOL! Indeed, when the woman offers to pay I think DOAH! she's not interested. I think its just the social norm here.

I think just keep the upscale dates for when you know there is some possibility of a relationship forming. If its a lets get to know each other meet up then a lighter more fun environment is likely better anyway.
 rod1919us
Msg: 235
view profile
History
Should Guys pay the full amount on the first Date/Meet?
Posted: 6/22/2012 7:21:57 PM

Its "balcony" "stadium" and its "Machu Picchu" respectively in your captions to your pics..

LMAO, my bad, typos happen. Thanks for the heads up.
 rod1919us
Msg: 236
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 7:30:53 PM

If the words balcony, stadium and Machu Picchu are breaking a man's spelling ability, he shouldn't be posting on forums in the first place. Just my two cents

Hey, typos happens. I will say however, whatever I may "lack" in spelling I make up in math. lol
 rod1919us
Msg: 237
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 7:34:38 PM

Why don't you mind your own damn business about how much others want to spend on dates. That's my two cents to you.

It was just an approximate figure. No need to get emotional. lol
 foxonatrain
Msg: 238
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 10:35:44 PM

Hey, typos happens. I will say however, whatever I may "lack" in spelling I make up in math. lol

No worries, just giving you a hard time. Although, I do think $150 is too steep to be realistic. If you go on 1 date per weekend, 4 dates a month, that's $600 a month. You personally might be doing well enough for that but I don't think the average guy is raking in enough to spend that much just on 4 days of the month. Specially with the economy the way its been for the past 5 years or so.
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 239
Posted: 6/23/2012 12:19:38 PM
I think spending 150 bucks on a 1st date is nuts! Unless you guys have been building up a relationship on line, phone, cam, texting etc and live a distance from eachother! You should be just doin meet n greets for a 1st meeting coffee tea walk at the park something like that. Any guy that does that when hes never even met me I would think hes either trying too hard or mismanages his funds. Even if he was a trust fund baby I think its still a lil inappropriate.
 rod1919us
Msg: 240
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 1:42:02 PM

No worries, just giving you a hard time. Although, I do think $150 is too steep to be realistic. If you go on 1 date per weekend, 4 dates a month, that's $600 a month. You personally might be doing well enough for that but I don't think the average guy is raking in enough to spend that much just on 4 days of the month. Specially with the economy the way its been for the past 5 years or so.

I'm not balling like that. lol I used $150 because well...lets face it. Many guys have had you know what at some point on the first night. Wasn't trying to get too graphic. So if you count the cost of a room then a date may very well come out to $150. That's why I said "AT MOST". As for giving me a hard time...no biggie. I have a sense of humor so I wasn't offended or anything. lol
 rod1919us
Msg: 241
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 1:46:59 PM

I think spending 150 bucks on a 1st date is nuts! Unless you guys have been building up a relationship on line, phone, cam, texting etc and live a distance from eachother! You should be just doin meet n greets for a 1st meeting coffee tea walk at the park something like that. Any guy that does that when hes never even met me I would think hes either trying too hard or mismanages his funds. Even if he was a trust fund baby I think its still a lil inappropriate.

I told the other guy why I wrote $150. My first dates usually consists of a movie, maybe something to eat. Sometimes a few drinks. Well $150 is a little steep for any date. I probably should have wrote $75 dollars. No, wait..$60 at most. A movie & dinner date would be approximately $60 for two people. lol
 Jazzplenty2012
Msg: 242
Posted: 6/24/2012 10:46:40 AM
On a first dated it should ALWAYS be Dutch, I think. But in most cases, I've had the men want to pay. On my last date, I had to talk him into letting me leave the the tip! I never expect the men to pay even after the first date. I think it should be Dutch and once in a relationship, whomever invites should pay for the date. I have no problem with this, especially if he is good company.
 whatsmyname1234
Msg: 243
Posted: 7/7/2012 7:11:55 AM
Why are you taking women out on expensive dates? Do NOT spend more than $40 total on a date. Zero is optimal. NO EXCEPTIONS. By the way, the more money you spend, the less likely it is that you will get laid. Women don't respect men who spend a much of money on them; it shows that you lack confidence and you need to spend money to make up for that. If you want to spend a bunch of money on a woman, hire a prostitute. At least that way, you'll get what you paid for. Check this out. www.blowmeuptom.com. Listen to Leykis 101 on Thursdays from 5-7 PST. Or go to shoutcast.com and search "Tom Leykis Show"
 rdeffley
Msg: 244
Posted: 7/20/2012 2:16:20 AM
Let's face it. In an ideal world, men and women would take turns paying for dates. However, when you bring up taking more of an active interest with sharing the driving responsibilities, date planning, ans financial aspects of dating to women you are dating, it always falls on deaf ears. So what I did is circumvent the system. Start researching cheap and free date activities. Spend some time scouting locations and planning them. That way when you meet a woman you want to know, you have a whole slew of dates that cost little to no money. Then when you want to treat a woman who deserves it to a nice date every once and awhile, it won't effect your bottom line.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 245
Posted: 7/23/2012 2:25:26 PM
Hey skipper so who does the invite on the second date ????
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 246
Posted: 7/26/2012 7:13:57 PM
Nyla007 in a way I can see where you are comming from. It is nice when someone shows you they are intrested in you. In a way when a guy pays for you be it $3 or 60 it shows he is intrested in you and wants to impress you. How often do you think a woman would actualy pay her half if she thinks she is not intrested in the guy?? Most of the time they would let the guy pay for it . Next day they would let him know that they dont think they are a match and wish him good luck. Thats the reality of it. How do you suggest a woman show her intrest in the guy???
How long to you email back and forth and text before you think you know the other person??
You see I would rather set up a date in a few days and meet the person. Hey dont ask my opinion ask other women and you would hear that as soon as they meet the guy in person he is totaly diffrent then how he came across while emailing and texting... Trust me ask many of the guys and they would tell you same thing about the women and meeting them in person.

So you see you have to meet the person to get to know them and that means someone ends up paying for it most of the time.

You see its not that as a guy we pay for the woman. But that its expected of us to pay for the woman cause if the guys dont pay, We won't stick in her memory in a good way. We would rather pay for someone where we know its not a one time date.
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 247
Posted: 7/27/2012 5:40:48 PM
Re: #378:
So the more money a man spends on a woman, the more of a gentleman he is?
I disagree.

Even if a man pays her $1,000, she's still a prostitute, and that won't make him a gentleman.
 surfaceofficer
Msg: 248
Posted: 7/29/2012 3:10:45 PM

So the more money a man spends on a woman, the more of a gentleman he is? Interesting.

What goes into being a LADY?

That's not too bad a question. I pay dates as a matter of personal standards (in other words...its just how I was raised. It has less to do with her than she may think), but then too...where is the mutuality in that ratio? What is the ROI?

What should we men be looking for as the defining characteristics of a LADY worth keeping around?
 70foolio
Msg: 249
Posted: 8/3/2012 9:09:32 PM
On a first date a woman should take cash and offer to pick in, if not then she is looking for free meal and not a mate.
 70foolio
Msg: 250
Posted: 8/3/2012 9:16:42 PM
I think as women we always pay our way when we lunch with girlfriends it should be no different on a first date. I am glad some of us women can still pay our way.
 RIDENHI
Msg: 251
Posted: 8/4/2012 3:30:29 AM
Be a tad more selective but yes a gentlemen pays and not making a big deal out of it ..Just quietly pay the bill .
 RIDENHI
Msg: 252
Posted: 8/4/2012 3:32:01 AM
Be a tad more selective but yes a gentlemen pays and not making a big deal out of it ..Just quietly pay the bill .
 Aura1shine
Msg: 253
Posted: 8/4/2012 12:47:52 PM
Thinking this way....is $3.00 for a cup of coffee invested into "getting to know" a date too expensive for the future of romantic encounter? Well $3.00 is not even paid for a cheap movie sometime! If you can not afford to pay $3.00, what else would you pay in a future if she end up in a long term relationship with you? Seem like you are the a gold digger of a man version in my opinion whom just want to take but no giving in return.
 w1l_Mega
Msg: 254
Posted: 8/5/2012 8:16:30 AM
Honestly, I always pay for the meal. I mean it would be nice if the girl would help. But I don't expect it. I just make a point to go to a nice or reasonably priced restaurant. I have made the mistake of going to a fancy restaurant before. Haha
 Aura1shine
Msg: 255
Posted: 8/5/2012 10:32:02 AM
Thanks Nyla007! RIDENHI....you are the last dying breed of the gentleman version. In down economic time, first meet should not get involve with too much spending trying to impress the girl to check out chemistry. If you could not even ditched out a few bucks to meet someone, the action in itself already speak a volume of whom you really are.....a cheap skate and selfish one whom not even allow any penny jumping out of his pocket to invest for his own relationship. Beware....he is a taker!
 matchlight
Msg: 256
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2012 12:28:29 PM
If I invite someone, I'm buying, and it doesn't matter if it's an old buddy or a new date. But if I ever get a sense a woman I've just met and barely know thinks I owe her much more than a drink or a snack--and unfortunately, quite a few times I have--it turns me off. For me, liking a woman and feeling she's a nice person is part of being attracted to her. If I feel I'm with a self-centered woman who thinks I owe her a favor right from the start, just for gracing me with her company, I probably won't be thinking about kissing her, no matter how good she looks. I'm sure women like to feel their dates are interested in them just for who they are, and for me at least, the same is true the other way around.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 257
Posted: 8/5/2012 12:47:44 PM
I agree with Aura too.
If a man doesn't shell out some dineros to prime the pump, how is he gonna get some?
 Aura1shine
Msg: 258
Posted: 8/5/2012 1:54:58 PM
^^^^GreenThumbz18....you have hit the top of the nail that most women on this forum trying to let the men understand that women use his behavior as a meter to see if she needs to get involve. Of course, reciprocation should be as well. If you pay then your date should offer to pitch in at least a tip. It is up to you to decide to accept part of her contribution or not. Again she could take you out or give you a treat in other way to show her character that she is not a taker. It is a manner speaks!
Show ALL Forums  > California  > Should Guys pay the full amount on the first Date/Meet?