Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Quadrewple
Msg: 165
Should Guys pay the full amount on the first Date/Meet?Page 7 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
If guys should pay for a woman's meal then what is implicit is that the guy is less valuable than the girl, because it's not enough that he wants to see her and she wants to see him.
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 166
Should Guys pay the full amount on the first Date/Meet?
Posted: 2/28/2012 1:35:09 PM
Ms. Tarte - Thanks for all the valuable info. I shall now grow more pubic hair, have my car serviced and fueled, save up my money, and not discuss sex at all.
Then maybe I too can pay for all dates and enjoy your company beyond the platonic.
R
 LinRVT
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 1:57:25 PM
I am more comfortable going "dutch" on the first meet/greet. Second (or what I would call the 1st DATE) is on the guy :)
 q714
Msg: 168
Posted: 2/28/2012 8:30:05 PM
There should be no such thing as "dutch". I understand some may say that women wanted equal rights, then they need to have equal responsibilty. I disagree. This train of thought is part of why chivalry is near extinction.
 angel.ss
Msg: 169
Posted: 3/1/2012 5:57:37 PM
Today's woman say that they are independent, self-supporting, who wants a man for companionship. It boggles my mind that they still think the man should pay for the date. The bill is usually left on my side of the table. Rarely would a woman say that she will pay for her share. Not once has a woman paid they bill.
Why don't they pick up the tab?
 seki1949
Msg: 170
Posted: 3/1/2012 7:58:01 PM

Not once has a woman paid they bill.

You'se Shoulda Date a Besser Classe of de Babes!

I usually pick up the first tab and let her pay the tip. If we meet again, we alternate tab and tip for a while. After a while, we fall into whatever pattern is natural for us as a couple.

So for the times that there is a no 2nd date, it is a net lost for me. Hey, it's dating, not accounting.

Really Bad Accountanting, Seki
 shezabritelite
Msg: 171
Posted: 3/1/2012 9:11:50 PM
Don't go to expensive restaurants! Quit complaining about this already. Geez.
 seki1949
Msg: 172
Posted: 3/2/2012 7:51:03 AM

Don't go to expensive restaurants!

D*mn, now I have to cancel our reservation!

Disappointed, Seki
 francoamericaine
Msg: 173
Posted: 3/3/2012 3:32:49 PM
I wouldn't go to an expensive restaurant the 1st time but I always offer to pay my part. Most of the time I have been told to put my credit card away and I never argue
 a_Libra_rising
Msg: 174
Posted: 3/6/2012 4:23:14 PM
i love the contentious responses to this thread. all this really cracks me up. anytime money is at the forefront of any concern, it automatically creates riffs.

my response to the question that is of this thread is, yes. why? because you're a gentleman who appreciates the company of a lady and you know that she put in effort to nice look and be nice to you, so you offer a simple gesture. it's meant to keep things on the up and up and maintain some pleasantries. if you cannot afford somewhere expensive, take her somewhere inexpensive. women like men to be decisive and have a sense of chivalry. men like to appreciated and needed. the women who say they don't need a man to do anything for her, well, she should stop lying to herself and the world. maybe she should enter in a nunnery or something.

to be honest, i don't know why there's so many people who are bitter, act bitter, and like dwelling on their sorrows and bitterness and then HAVE to wear it on their sleeves when they go out in public/meet new people. why not just take things as they are, try to enjoy each other's company and if there's no sparks, move on. too much pressure is placed on a single meeting and it seems so contrary to how everyone tries to act cool and blasé but end up being b*tchy about one date that didn't lead anywhere.

truly a laugh!!!
 Scriv2012
Msg: 175
Posted: 3/6/2012 5:36:49 PM

There should be no such thing as "dutch". I understand some may say that women wanted equal rights, then they need to have equal responsibilty. I disagree. This train of thought is part of why chivalry is near extinction.

Amen! I've had women offer to pay their part, but I've never let it happen. For a select few, chivalry is still alive and well.
 Aura1shine
Msg: 176
Posted: 4/1/2012 4:24:26 PM
Yes on the first meeting not the date. But first meeting should involved with a low cost or none at first face to face to see if you like each other and want to meet again particularly in this economic down turn. If a woman insisted a particular place that you known it will break your bank account....run away as fast as you can. She wants your pocket more that you as a person. If a man could not afford a few bucks for her coffee, tea, and snacks....to my interpretations: 1. he is selfish not even allow a few bucks to fly off his pockett and want to fish with a bear hand. 2. he has such a poor manner that even offering something cost a small amount to a woman...a class different in social living.
IF he pays, she should offer part of her share or a tip at least and alternate the pay as some posts on here has suggested.
 1womanman33
Msg: 177
Posted: 4/3/2012 7:21:50 PM
I swear, it's like some of these men never had home training before! If you don't want a large bill on a first date, do something SIMPLE...go for a drink, meet at a park, go bowling or mini-golfing or a free museum where you can talk about the exhibits and each other. If you are already hedging your bets (which I can understand...it's the FIRST DATE), then don't put yourself in a spot to be left with a large tab. A first date shouldn't require these types of questions! If I'm going to do something special, it's because I think that woman has special potential...and since I'm a slow burn that way, if she's at that level, then what she'll provide me will potentially far exceed an extra $30-40. Women want to be treated like women...if you DO that, your chances are better than they were before that she'll make you feel like a wonderful man. Then again, I'm a big picture person...if I'm not secure with who I have met in the sense of who I think they are, I won't ask her out.
 1womanman33
Msg: 178
Posted: 4/3/2012 7:26:33 PM

You'se Shoulda Date a Besser Classe of de Babes!

I usually pick up the first tab and let her pay the tip. If we meet again, we alternate tab and tip for a while. After a while, we fall into whatever pattern is natural for us as a couple.

So for the times that there is a no 2nd date, it is a net lost for me. Hey, it's dating, not accounting.

Really Bad Accountanting, Seki

Agreed, except, I don't quantify it as a 'net loss'. I have been on dates where it wasn't going to go further, but I still had a good time. I don't connect equality with chivalry. I'm a man...I asked her out, I'm buying. Besides, if you're keeping score (not speaking to you directly my man) chances are you PROBABLY shouldn't be dating. Frugality is cool, but being cheap will never get you far. And the little secret is...she's bound to probably do much more for you down the line if she's as good as you think she is. That's across the board. Dating should not be the rat race folks are making it out to be...
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 179
Posted: 4/3/2012 7:52:51 PM
^^^^^^
"Dating should not be the rat race folks are making it out to be..." Keyword "should."
Well I'm not gonna say you're wrong,,, But I would like to ask you if you feel the same way this time next year.
You have been a member of our esteemed group for just a brief time. It's very possible that your opinions may temper with more "experience."
R
 1womanman33
Msg: 180
Posted: 4/3/2012 8:09:57 PM
Haha...I respect that. But believe me, after the 3 1/2 years I've had, dating is like dealing with house money. I shouldn't be so pious about some things though, I'll grant you that.
 1womanman33
Msg: 181
Posted: 4/7/2012 12:12:01 PM

^^Pious? I'd say you were spot on, great attitude. I suspect you reap the rewards more often than not. ;)
Well thank you, I'd say so far so good :)
 irish_smackie
Msg: 182
Posted: 4/10/2012 7:14:31 AM
I hate when people complain about the expense of dating after THEY choose the venue. No one should plan a date they can't easily afford, and whomever does the inviting should pay.

That said, I always go prepared to pay for myself. I've only had one man accept.

I also agree that a good woman will reciprocate the generosity over time.
 LastSunset
Msg: 183
Posted: 4/21/2012 1:20:13 PM
What are we talking about? A first time meet and greet over a cup of coffee? Is the price of a muffin and a cup of coffee going to break you? Meeting at a bar can get expensive. I'll buy the first couple rounds of drinks. After that, it her turn to pick up a round. If there is still an interest and you ask her out to a nice dinner, you should pay. Period.

If you've been dating for a while and she asks you out to a movie, she should pay. Especially if it's a chick flick.
 tigerray11
Msg: 184
Posted: 4/23/2012 3:37:41 PM
I was raised in a traditional way, men that are asking the woman out should be expected to pay for the meal, movie, or whatever they're doing, open the door for her, etc. If a man asks a woman out, and doesn't discuss the date with her before hand then he should plan to foot the bill it's that simple. It's not rocket science, you asked her out. If it's the other way around, and she offers to take him out, then it goes the other way. I've always been of the premise that the person offering to take the other person out takes the responsibility. If you've had issues in the past and just don't feel you can afford the nice french restaraunt with the imported champaign then either choose something else or discuss it with your date before hand.

Most people understand these issues and don't have a problem with adjusting to make things more comfortable. I'd be willing to bet there's not nearly as many ladies out there that expect a man to pay for everything all the time as some guys think.
 BEACHFOUNDED
Msg: 185
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2012 5:40:25 PM
babe meet for a soda not a meal!
 BEACHFOUNDED
Msg: 186
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2012 5:44:12 PM
great answer!!!!! I agree if you want to be with a lady and I mean a lady then stop whinning!
 MZzIndependent310
Msg: 187
Posted: 4/24/2012 5:56:05 PM
Oh the joys of dating...when a man starts complaining about his money maybe he needs to rethink his dating practices
 AppleScruff88
Msg: 188
Posted: 4/26/2012 3:17:43 PM
Hahaha I love this one,
Men should always pay for the 1st date, Regardless. But I love it when a girl at least offers, I'll always decline but the offer to go half or just to pay is a turn on for me at least, it shows that shes independent and not a free loader. I never regret paying for my friends or my dates. but the offer really means something.
I dont do well with women who feel intitled to everything I treated her too. unless it's my girl.
haha good luck fishies!!!
 nice2no
Msg: 189
Posted: 5/12/2012 5:43:27 AM
If you suggest the date then do the right thing and pick up the tab. Dont complain
Show ALL Forums  > California  >