Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Cross Fit and Extreme event athletes?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 modivin
Msg: 251
Cross Fit and Extreme event athletes?Page 11 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
Are you near any lakes? If they get too cold, you could always swim in a wetsuit....or find a YMCA or facility with a pool....if not a high school/college that allows the public to use their pool.

I worked on sprint drills today....and ran my booty off. Surprise cardio hell day from my trainer who had just finished rugby practice and had me do part of what they did. I almost hurled but kept it down
 stephano717
Msg: 252
Cross Fit and Extreme event athletes?
Posted: 11/30/2011 11:33:52 AM
I go to crossfit gym but not exclusively!! I love the bodyweight exercises like handstands, pullups, and muscle up which they do on the gymnastic rings and all of major Power exercises like clean and snatch, back squat, front squat, running and many other different types of athletic exercises! But I also do body building and other routines!
 RobertinStages
Msg: 253
Posted: 12/1/2011 4:42:58 AM
Welcome stephano! Feel free to post your daily routines, ups/downs,gains/pains etc.

I live on a lake. It's about 50 feet from my back door BUT I aint gonna jump in there even if I had a submarine to do so. LOL I'm not made of that modivin stuff that can go diving at 130 feet and feed some sharks on her way down. ;-) I've been staying off the knees "some" until they heal. I've been doing 2min on the bike then off for about 10 min. I can already tell my knees like me for doing that. I think when all is better I will do the "some" motion training AND definitely the bike. I would like to reintroduce some running on the treadmill but not anytime soon.
 modivin
Msg: 254
Posted: 12/1/2011 1:27:13 PM
Robert:

When is the last time you changed your shoes? Are they specific for running and if so, did you have a proper fit at a running store (not a sports store)?

Have you had anyone look at your gait when you run to see if you have an issue with your form that would be causing issues?

Do you have more developed quads in comparison to your hams? Most people say yes. If the answer is yes, do you stretch properly, how often, and have you tried foam rolling your quads?

Many times knee pain is coming from the quads being tight. Since the muscles in the upper leg attach to the lower part of the leg (and cross over and around the knee to get there) common pains are due to tendons becoming tighter as the muscle belly becomes tighter.

If you have access to a trainer that can watch you run to check your gait, as well as show you some things with a foam roller, it most definitely would be worth it.

And yes....not everyone has my swagger style
 RobertinStages
Msg: 255
Posted: 12/1/2011 3:42:24 PM
1) I have old shoes and they really aren't for running or much to do with athletics. They are "Ecco" comfort tennis shoes for walking around town.
2) I will have a trainer look at my gait.
3) My quads are bigger than my hamstrings. I do work hams but not as much as my quads.
4) I do very little stretching before I do any exercises and never tried foam rolling my quads. I look up the foam rolling on youtube.
THESE ARE GREAT POINTS!!!!! THANK YOU modivin!!! I will correct the above and reassess.

Today I did the stationary bike for 2 min intervals inbetween doing my regular leg workout. My knees felt way better today than they have in the past.
 modivin
Msg: 256
Posted: 12/1/2011 5:36:46 PM
Definitely invest in better shoes.....depending on how many miles you put on shoes, you should be tossing them every 6 months to a year since they break down quickly. The more miles, the quicker they go. I'm sure that is something a trainer can recommend for you based on your performance goals, etc.
Stretching is also such a huge factor and foam rolling...as much as it may hurt in the beginning, it feels sooooooooo good once you are done. Your muscles become happy and say thank you for loving me!

Anytime Robert!! I need to get back to studying.....Work out was awesome. A few issues were triggered I thought I was past. New things to work on....always fun improving and breaking down more walls!
 CPRLADY
Msg: 257
Posted: 12/2/2011 7:33:09 AM
Hey Gang,
Its been awhile. Hope all is well with everyone and they had a great Turkey Day. I played hooky. Went to Texas and crossed off a bucklist moment dancing on the bar at Coyote Ugly-alot-lol. I can get on the bar and jump off too.
Trying to catch up on all your posts, and Robert modivin is so right on-shoes- the right ones-please go to a running store not an athletic outlet. The running guys know their stuff. My neice is a runner and CF gal and she lead me to the right path.
As for the foam rollers use them, they hurt like hell, but they work. Once again modivin is right on again.
But need to let you all know after my VB tourney my foot hurt-sure enough stress fx-yikes, so going slow w/ stuff-frustrated, my trainer is helping me and is adament about being so careful. So we are modifing my CF routines. More upper body for the next 4 weeks. But still so bummed. Today we did an AMRAP for 12 mins. 10 45# Straight Presses and 30# KB swings . I did 8 + 9. My arms will be talking back soon enough.
Thanks for all your good vibes and encouraging words, keep it up. Hope to PL still just lower weights/more reps.

All the best
CPRLADY
 RobertinStages
Msg: 258
Posted: 12/2/2011 4:30:28 PM
You are such a TROOPER CPR! How we deal with our injuries is just as IMPORTANT as a GREAT workout. I'm the worst at dealing with injuries BUT my knees and now your foot has given me a new opportunity to change my behavior. I love to workout at an intense level and if I don't deal with the injuries as they come I will lose out in the long run. So I'm gonna treat my body with more respect as I deal with injuries. I had great full body workout today. Focused on chest and arms with dumbells and pulleys. Practiced the snatch and overhead presses with a 70lb bar. Cardio: 5 minute intervals on the stationary bike inbetween exercises for a total of 30 minutes. Some hamstring /glute work on one of those machines that you stand and push back with one leg. Total time 1 - 1/2 hours.

I just googled foam rollers and their uses AND it's definitely worth my time to try it out. THANKS for that one!
 kramdraw
Msg: 259
Posted: 12/2/2011 10:27:02 PM
Where is there a cf place near Burbank?
 modivin
Msg: 260
Posted: 12/2/2011 11:49:06 PM
kram

If you go to crossfit.com, go on the left hand side and click on affiliates, then affiliates finder map..type in location. It looks like there you have a large amount to choose from which is always good. My recommendation is look at every one that is convenient for you so that you know you will be there. Although, by taking a look at your pictures and looks like profession, I know you wouldn't make an excuse like driving 5 minutes further is too far.....especially in SoCal.
 RobertinStages
Msg: 261
Posted: 12/7/2011 4:22:00 AM
Hope everyone is enjoying their workouts. Got in two days rest over the weekend and really helped with the knees. Mon/Tue were good full body workouts and easing into a cardio routine that wont hurt my knees. I've decided to keep with the stationary bike at intervals with less than 30min total time until I know my knees are back in good shape. Then I'll go shopping for shoes, etc.. Having fun with deadlifts, snatch and jerks with low weight (70-80 lbs) and lots of reps. I have incorporated kettleball with 18,20, 22 kg weights 20 reps each set at least twice a week. I feel very strong with my pullups and gonna start going for more reps. I have been doing them "my way" which is very strict, no kipping, and hanging, rotating and working the core a lot. My total workout time is an hour and at least twice a week an hour and one half.

Hope you are all hitting it too and ENJOYING it!
 CPRLADY
Msg: 262
Posted: 12/7/2011 6:20:00 AM
Robert,
Good to hear you are laying off with the knees. Like I tell everyone, getting older is not for sissies when you workout at our level. My foot is healing slowly, so my frustration level is high, which sucks, but not giving up on working out. I have done Mon/Wed upper body workouts intensely and then cardio for 30 this week so far. The only cardio that does not put pressure on my foot are the bikes, so thats what I am sticking with. I can still bench. In fact my bench workout today w/ my trainer was so intense, I can feel the soreness setting in as I type now-lol. As for KBs I do those almost weekly and I use a 30 or 35# ball, so I expect nothing less from you-ha.
I miss deadlifting tho, might try this week, very low weights ugh. My competion is now March 17th for State, which means I need to start training first week of January, so I am hoping my foot will be back to normal.

Be well and safe everyone.

CPRLADY
 modivin
Msg: 263
Posted: 12/7/2011 2:30:52 PM
I've been working my booty off, 2x a week with my trainer....and 2-3 on my own, dependent on time/schedule. Its funny seeing the look on peoples' faces in the beginning because it is one of....holy cow....that girl is intensely kicking butt...and getting her butt kicked!!!!

It is a must need for me to have some sort of stress reliever and because my body is already used to working out as well is properly nourished, she responds well to what is being done. When I was younger, I always said...I don't want big muscles. However, I've learned to embrace big muscles because I'm built for power rather then endurance. And..it comes in hand when playing hooker on the field.

Not only that, I would rather have defined muscles then a super soft appearance. Some things I cannot help nor change much (like my chest)....everything else though, definition is my friend

Robert, I was thinking another thing that would help is taking Procosa for joint support. I swear by that stuff (and fish oil) and love the effect it has on my joints/ligaments/tendons.
 CPRLADY
Msg: 264
Posted: 12/7/2011 4:30:48 PM
Keep it up modivin.
I have one question for all of you.
When someone says they are athletic-what does that term mean to you?
 RobertinStages
Msg: 265
Posted: 12/7/2011 6:20:38 PM
Great to hear you are working around your foot CPR. Way too cool! I'll be sending the good vibes out that your foot heals so you can begin training in January. Keep updating me on the foot. I'm thinking when someone says they are "athletic" they do sports. BUTTT in these days of online dating people fudge a lot! LOL

Hitting it hard are you modivin.NICE!!! I definitely love what "working out" does for stress. I just feel so calm after a great workout. It really is amazing how good it is for you. As far as looks go, I work what I was given so that I feel good how I look. You got the right attitude there. I really do need to protect my joints better and definitely my tendons. I will try Procosa and fish oil. I'll Google it so I know where to get it. THANKS FOR THE RECOMMENDATION!

Took a rest day today to put up the Christmas tree lights. Yippee!
 statemachine500
Msg: 266
Posted: 12/7/2011 6:30:49 PM
"When someone says they are athletic-what does that term mean to you?"

It means they swing golf clubs and want to show up in a search for athletic people.

Although if most of us compare ourselves to kramdraw we might feel lacking.Looks like fitness is a must for his profession.
 modivin
Msg: 267
Posted: 12/7/2011 9:37:27 PM
I guess it depends on when the word athletic is being used and the location. For example, I've noticed on this dating site, people putting athletic on their profile but have never done anything near a gym (except maybe drive by it in their car). Their justification is that they are considered in shape by their appearance yet if they were to ever go to the gym and work out...they could be labeled as out of shape...or my favorite group of people when I was a trainer....the skinny fat people. The women who would spend 2 hours on a stair mill, barely working up a sweat or raising their HR....just so they could maintain their skinny appearance without creating any muscle definition. Frequently would have the dimpling on their thighs.

Then there are those who are the weekend warriors....or the weekend athletes. The ones who get on a bike one Sat a weekend, pedal 25 miles, and call themselves an athlete or a cyclist. They are both to some extent. I would call them the weekend warriors because they do nothing all week except maybe eat poorly and have stressful conditions and then on the weekend, find an activity they like to do for a few hours...play golf, go running, etc. Good for them on getting out and doing something even if it is only 5 hours a week.....but those are the weekend warriors for you!

Athletic to me is more along the lines of someone who is an athlete, whether or not they ever competed for awards, etc. Someone can go from being the highschool, college track star....have an injury that takes them out of the game for a few years.....rehabs...recovers.....and trains to get back in to shape. They are athletic because of their built in training ability they learned from day 1...back in their youth.

You could also just blanket cover people who compete in something, team sports, individual sports (weight lifting) and they are athletic.

I say in the end, it comes down to level of intensity (when training), skills they have, and mindset that makes someone athletic.

@Robert.....

With the amount of stress I'm under with school and taking a ton of tests every week....I look forward to those days of getting hammered in the ground since it is a lovely distraction. Even though I was a trainer when I lived in San Diego....I get an even better workout when I have someone in my face yelling and telling me that I don't have permission yet to stop running....etc. Pushing me past my limits and resetting new ones to break later. LOVE IT!!

Procosa...I can send you a link to your inbox since procosa is something specific (vs a specific vit/mineral, etc).
 RobertinStages
Msg: 268
Posted: 12/10/2011 8:57:40 AM
Just ordered the procosa and fish oil. Thanks Modivin! I'm suffering from the flu. :-( So taking mandatory rest days. Second rest day. In a way I am glad. I haven't taken a good break in awhile and the joints probably could use the rest.
 modivin
Msg: 269
Posted: 12/10/2011 6:09:19 PM
Anytime Bob! You will notice a difference with the procosa. I know when I take it, I feel awesome and if I miss a day and work out I try to figure out why my ankle is achy again....and remember, oh yea....the Combo of Procosa and Fish Oil helps lubricate and bring down inflammation! YAY
 modivin
Msg: 270
Posted: 12/13/2011 6:57:06 PM
Robert and CPR....

Funny moment of the day.....while grumbling doing a 5 minute warm up on the stair climber....at a very high pace...my trainer asked...would it help if I sang the Rocky song for you? I started laughing....so he broke out in to song....as loud as could be....the eye of the tiger!!...dun....dun dun dun....dun dundunnnnn
 RobertinStages
Msg: 271
Posted: 12/13/2011 8:07:33 PM
That is funny!!! Great new photo modivin! Can't wait to get back in the gym. Still not gonna happen tomorrow. :-(
 CPRLADY
Msg: 272
Posted: 12/14/2011 8:19:29 PM
Now I will have to ask my trainer to sing to me too-lol funny story modivin.
Love the new pix. Robert go slow otherwise I know 2 women who will and can kick your tush-lol.

I had a good workout today-good hard benching w/ trainer than a small Crossfit workout-V-sit and Sit-ups, on 20 seconds than switch to 10 second V-sit/ 8 rounds. I ended up w/ only 79 situps total, but still not bad, than a 20 minute Cardio on bike. Still not able to do any strength w/ deadlifts/squats. Foot is only 3 1/2 weeks out from this fx, which is driving me nuts.

Well off to slumber cuz I get to do it again in the AM.

Be well and safe everyone.

CPRLADY
 CPRLADY
Msg: 273
Posted: 12/16/2011 7:03:53 AM
Hope all is well, trying to get more cardio in since I have to be somewhat lame-gosh I hate this holding back crap.
But good news is, I learned how to do Ring dips today-loved it-hard as heck-I can do a whole 4 before I can't hold myself up anymore. and yes I use a band for me knee. LOL
Training starts first week of January-I am ready now.
How is everyone else doing?

Be well and safe

CPRLADY

PS Thanks for all the responses on my asking about being athletic, if one more a$$ hole tells me I am not, becuz I am a bigger women. ( your to big, you possibly can not be athletic). So now you know why I was asking. Just makes me want to workout even more.
 RobertinStages
Msg: 274
Posted: 12/17/2011 6:33:39 AM
Ring dips! Too cool. What has helped me with pullups is going to the lat and shoulder machines right after my pullups. I can adjust the weight and push those areas harder. Still fighting a cold here. Been a week. My joints should be nice and rested.

What's nice about what "a$$hole(s) tell" you is that it's a great filter. I try not to educate people on what they say so it's easier for the next person to screen them out. ;-)
 CPRLADY
Msg: 275
Posted: 12/21/2011 2:08:38 PM
Happy Hannukah to all that celebrate. Had a great Crossfit and lift day today.

Crossfit:
Rowed 500 meters
40 Air squats (must break plan of knee)
30 1 legged push-ups
20 sit-ups
10 pull-ups ( I suck at this part) Time 7:42

Than
5 45# Overhead press
5 50# Overhead Press
5 60# Overhead Press
5 75# Overhead Press

Than fatigued on Push Press-I was done for the day-woohoo

Be well and safe. Have a safe holiday. Get to CF tom am too.

CPRLADY
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Cross Fit and Extreme event athletes?