Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Cross Fit and Extreme event athletes?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ZachariahTicer
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Cross Fit and Extreme event athletes?Page 2 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)

Cross Fit is designed for all levels of fitness to participate. .... So with this in mind, there will always be all levels of fitness, just like a gym. Not every single person you see in a gym is at minimal body fat. The same goes for CF.

Exactly.

This is the accurate understanding.

If you think you are above CF then by all means be beyond it.

But why on earth are you making fun of the unfit people joining CF to get fit??...
 ZachariahTicer
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Cross Fit and Extreme event athletes?
Posted: 10/12/2011 1:58:20 AM

happy that I found out recently that pullups will not be a problem.

How much do you weigh?

How many did you do?

Pullups are so awesome :)
 modivin
Msg: 28
Posted: 10/12/2011 7:50:58 AM
Robert..talking about Winter already? I live in Iowa...which means long, cold Winters....but not as cold as Chicago I bet my email settings prevented you from emailing. Let me give it a go and see what the result is. Rain is perfect to get in a grueling WOD! Or..you can do a WOD and then run outside after.
 modivin
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/12/2011 7:55:51 AM
But why on earth are you making fun of the unfit people joining CF to get fit??...

Maybe they had nothing else to contribute and rather then leave it alone, made comments to draw attention to themselves.

Pull ups are awesome! I suck at them so I'm working my way up to do 10 regular pull ups with jumping pull ups....a lovely goal is in 6 months to be balanced...as in strong upper and strong lower. Right now my legs are incredibly powerful but my upper is lacking.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/12/2011 8:05:11 AM
not making fun, just asking a question, I guess that is not allowed?

I think CF is great for people who need to be part of a herd; require validation from a group of other like-minded/'brainwashed' people.

I myself am just totally NOT into that type of scene..

"Drink the Kool-Aid" as your T-shirts proudly proclaim. Greg Glazzhole IS the new God ;)

BTW why is Glazz-hole addicted to alcohol?

Paleolithic Man never drank alcohol in large quantities to my knowledge?

VV

ah, so now as well as a chiropractic expert, dietitian, workout & training expert, etc. you are also now a qualified psychologist/psychiatrist?

you have indeed achieved much in your fairly short life--you can analyze a person's "problems" based on a fairly brief internet post ? :)

bravo! :)

ah yes maybe you are right, the better mode is to believe everything one is told? esp.
by anyone posing as an 'expert'/authority figure?

perhaps, perhaps..question nothing..

modivin = chiro./psych./trainer/MD/RD, etc., etc.

you don't address the alcohol thing..are CF'ers banned from discussing Greg's addiction?

"Get Fit, Even if it Kills You" --weird slogan to me..

quote from Glassman: (NY Times)"But for Mr. Glassman, dismissals of his extreme workouts merely help him weed out people he considers weak-willed. "If you find the notion of falling off the rings and breaking your neck so foreign to you, then we don't want you in our ranks," he said."

"kipping" pullups are also known by most people as "cheating" pullups? (not real pullups) -most CF'ers seem focused on slamming through the workout in any way possible rather than using good form?

thanks Flamingo :)

VVV
 modivin
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/12/2011 8:20:57 AM
Of course you were making fun, just like you are now.

Sounds like you have some serious unresolved issues from childhood to handle. Heck, maybe you tried a class and didn't like it because it was too challenging for you. Either way, its pretty sad to have such a bitter and angry outlook on the world. You truly are going to miss out on a lot if that is the judgement you want to carry with you at all times.
 FlamingoKisses
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/12/2011 8:29:46 AM
For me, my remark is because the few I have seen into the whole CrossFit thing were the same people who were drinking all the time ( beer ) and were heavy. Sorry, I do not see where people who are clearly fat can brag about how Athletic * looking * they are. Like on here, * athletic * is for BODY TYPE. And clearly, no offense Modivin, especially in the green shirt, I beg to differ on body type. I get pissy because I am SO tired of people who say one thing, show up to a meeting clearly looking another way.

Crossfit, body building. Wrestling, whatever one's passion is, is great. I do not expect everyone at a gym to be ripped or lean. I do however do not get people who never seem to improve, who do all this * hard work * to continue looking the same or even worse. And for the love of God, all the chubby trainers has got to stop.

To Diagnose Flick as a child is not right either. However you tried to diagnose Bnong too. SO what was my issue as a child, the fact I am Ukrainian and adopted by Americans , does that make me something as well??? :: eye roll :: I cannot wait. I am sure I will be accused of Steroids so I will stop you right there. I have some HUGE genetics. If I did not eat right I'd be a heifer. SO you will need to whip out your medical dictionary and come up with some other diagnosis. Or Psych book....:: hair flip ::

Not everyone will agree with everyone, which is fine. I am aware people who work out here and there and eat like shit * think * they are fit. I also know I am not built for everyone's desire either. However, I bust my ass on nutrition & training, and do not sit around with rolls of fat, slinging back beer claiming to be ripped. LOL

People comment on experiences and what they see. I have yet to see some super fit cross fit person. And that is not the point. The point is for me on HERE, people need to be honest about BODY TYPE. And there might be some people who are very fit who do this. I'd love to see it ~

Flick is not negative, he is just saying what he feels. Not everyone will agree with everyone. But to sit and diagnose people? Good God.

I think for most of us, *body type* is what Athletic selection is about on here. And a lot of people FKN LIE !!!!

modivin
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/12/2011 9:09:58 AM
What is your real issue flaming?

Is it people using body type to describe themselves and they aren't who they say they are? Create a discussion on another thread. Rant is not related to CF.

Are you making wild assumptions about CF because you've seen maybe a handful of people do it and not be in ripped shape? Go on You Tube and look up CF videos. Plenty of ripped people there. Look up Cross Fit games. Again...very ripped people there.

As far as the rest of your ranting, it is totally unrelated to the topic so there is no point in me commenting. I would suggest however you keep the responses related to the discussion and other people not related to the discussion out of it.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/12/2011 9:15:43 AM
^^

As far as the rest of your ranting, it is totally unrelated to the topic so there is no point in me commenting. I would suggest however you keep the responses related to the discussion and other people not related to the discussion out of it.

says the person who gives unsolicited, negative psychological evaluations to posters..

tells them they are childish, and/or must have have abusive experiences in childhood..

the arrogance of CF is a bit much for me.. cross-training & "conjugation training" existed a LONG time before Glazzman packaged & marketed it with a brand-name & logo -acts liek he is 'God' -perhaps the guilt is what caused him to guzzle booze to cover it up.

funny how there have been photos of Glazzman with his fat, porky gut hanging out on the 'net but most have been taken down now, CF doesn't like the bad image (even if it's the truth) 5'7" & 185 lbs., a bit porky, he wan't even that great of a gymnast in reality, but brags about it ..did OK at the high school level only.
 umm...Dave
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/12/2011 9:19:20 AM
The issue most other athletes have with crossfit is this quote from Glassman "We do your stuff almost as good as you, you can’t do our stuff at all and we do stuff neither of us does way better than you can." and the ego associated with somebody who would say that.

The fact of the matter is that no crossfitter, training only crossfit, is going to come anywhere near what I do. Ever. And while I can't do kipping pull-ups I can do real pull-ups just fine, hand stand push-ups are easy, squats are easy, running is hard :( and I have sucked at skipping since I was a child. And I have no idea how I would fare at things I don't do... cause I don't do them.

But everybody I know that has a problem with crossfit (which is a few people) has that problem based on the attitude of the members. It's a fine little program for getting into decent shape, that's all.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/12/2011 9:26:52 AM
^^

many of them fantasize that they are total bad-azz Special Forces, Navy SEAL/Delta Force military operatives or SWAT team members.. because some of those people use CF as part of their training. and maybe the macho allure might rub off a bit>?

*yawn* ;)
 modivin
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/12/2011 9:27:29 AM
Unresolved childhood issues
-not diagnosing
-not calling you childish
-not negative

Those are your assumptions or what you are taking out of it. My comment to you was a point. You have this crazy notion in your head that you painted in your prior comments. My comment was indeed related to the discussion at hand. You seem to have no problem at all throwing stones at other people, making up random nonsense. But the second a comment is made about you, you say it is unsolicited. You are the only one hell bent over Glazzman, his appearance, and what he does. That is your issue Flick as is your issues with people enjoying Cross Fit. Get over it. Move on. Try and enjoy life.
 modivin
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/12/2011 9:39:05 AM
Do you really think that quote is taken seriously by every single person out there? I laughed when I read it. Its not an ego associated with it. I see it as trash talking, to tempt people to try CF out. Great marketing....because what happens. Someone tries cross fit out, either loves the challenges or could care less. If they love it, they start doing it and recruit more people.

When I started using it last year, I was someone who was a cardio + weight training person and had knowledge of a few plyo moves. Being introduced to this, my trainer knew I would love it and I did.....still do! While training for a triathlon last year, I realized I was not ready yet as I was still recovering from a serious car accident. I did a 5K instead and in 2 weeks knocked off 2 minutes off my run. Big accomplishment...swimming and cycling, I'm fast. Running distances...not yet.

My suggestion is learn about what you actually do in Cross Fit rather then focus on the "ego" you think people have. While you're at it, at least recognize you have an ego as well as you should. You train specifically for what you do while others train specifically for what they do. If someone has a problem with the attitude of CF members, maybe take a moment and look at yourself to see wherein that lies and how you project yourself to others.
 umm...Dave
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/12/2011 10:00:32 AM
Oh I completely have an ego, it is an ego that I have earned through competition, but my ego ends at what I can do, when it comes to things I cannot do or things I don't know about I have markedly less ego I still go in with confidence but no proclamations of inherent greatness because of the style of training that I do. I am not saying you do this, but many crossfitters that I have met DO have that attitude.

As to that quote, when the founder of something makes a statement like that he is attacking other training styles, people get defensive when they are attacked.
 modivin
Msg: 40
Posted: 10/12/2011 10:40:30 AM
Think of it this way when making a general statement about a certain training group. Not everyone has that attitude. Not even many have that attitude. It is a stereotype being created by the fewer amount of people who have that attitude. You know there are stereotypes for many different athletes or training styles. As well as stereotypes for professions and genders.

Bodybuilder: meatheads who lack any intelligence and take steroids
Softball players: all lesbians
Football: if they are the meatheads, not intelligent. If they are a quarterback, smarter.
Rugby: big fall down drunks (from another topic that I believe was removed)
Soccer: a bunch of girls

For the record, these are not my personal beliefs but are stereotypes that have been created due to a certain amount of people are like that OR other athletes trash talk and make these comments. Your perception is your perception.
One person or a handful of people although can give you the idea that many are like that, its not the case at all. Of the 4 CF gyms I've been to and of the many people I know that do CF, they do not carry the attitude of my s*** don't stink and you suck.

And if someone makes a comment or statement, why get upset over it? Is he being affected by you or anyone you know being upset? No. The only one being hurt in that case or allowing your energy to be wasted over something so trivial....is yourself. There are far more important things in life to be upset over for when the time comes.
 umm...Dave
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/12/2011 10:56:49 AM
The stereotypes that you posted are made by people outside looking in and making judgements, the holier than thou crossfit attitude is one that starts from within crossfit and is projected out towards other people. If a prominent bodybuilder, lets say arnold schwarzenegger, made the bold statement that all bodybuilders are stupid and steroid users then that statement holds weight. If the president of the united states says that americans hate france, even if you personally don't, people in france are going to get upset at americans.

I am going to be competing in the SPF in december, I have reservations about this because they are known for their lax judging. If I happen to set a new record during this competition people from other federations are going to be critical of its legitimacy because of who and what I associated myself with regardless of the quality of my lifting. The onus will be on me to prove that the quality of my lifting is beyond refute.

As the saying goes, if you lie down with dogs, you wake up with fleas. I am going to have these fleas based on where I am competing, just like you have them based on statements made by the founder of crossfit.
 modivin
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/12/2011 11:12:44 AM
Well then I guess I am laying down with the Cross Fit dogs.

My point was that stereotypes, regardless of where originated, are stereotypes. Its far easier and more convenient for people in general to buy in to a stereotype or make assumptions rather then take initiative and learn as to draw their own conclusions.

Best of luck in your competition!
 umm...Dave
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/12/2011 11:33:06 AM
Thats the thing with people though, we judge a group by how their leaders conduct themselves. I don't lump you in with the other crossfit people because you clearly don't think crossfit is the answer to every goal, you have not drank the proverbial kool-aid. Crossfit is a good gpp program, the people who follow crossfit will be healthy (barring injury) and able to do endurance and bodyweight athletics with little effort which is what most people are looking for, so it is a good fit for a wide swath of people.
You clearly realise this and as such I find no fault in you or your choice to do crossfit (not that me finding fault with something should have any sway over you at all)
 modivin
Msg: 44
Posted: 10/12/2011 11:45:21 AM
LOL.....there are a couple things I have learned and learned a long time ago...

humility goes a long way
it is no one's place to judge.....(although with an internet community such as this, you see more judgement then not)
the body is capable of doing more then we give it credit...
you don't know what you don't know (until you learn it and therefore know)

Cross fit and every goal....
While I believe Cross fit should be incorporated in to training programs, especially for sports that require speed, quick movements, and endurance, I do know that others have their way of training. I choose CF any day and every day of the week over what I was doing in the past. I also know that a personal goal I set for myself in 6 months will be answered with Cross Fit and eating clean. But those are my choices.
 RobertinStages
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/14/2011 5:07:29 PM
I'm totally lost on what the issues are here??? LMAO I am a recent wanna be XFitter and find the program a challenge to say the least. All the XFitters I have met have been GREAT PEOPLE! Not trying to start a fight.. but just what I observed. To each his own I guess. There are so many badass things to do these days.. pick one and just do it! Shit at my age I'll be lucky to survive this... not looking for anything tougher! BTW... I practiced kettleball yesterday and I am having trouble lowering myself to the toilet.. the last few inches are just a drop.. LOL
To answer a question.. I'm doing arm pullups no kipping yet and about 50. The weather was pretty good here until the last couple days and what I add to the pullups is 18-40 miles a day on my bike. I also add 200-500 park bench pushups. You'd think I would be in shape for XFit with all that work... NOT!!! Lord help me. :-)
 RobertinStages
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/14/2011 5:09:54 PM
oh.. and I have two days rest which should be tomorrow and Sunday... BUT if the weather is good... I'm on MY BIKE!!! Sure gonna miss it this Fall/Winter :-(
 RobertinStages
Msg: 47
Posted: 10/14/2011 5:39:51 PM
Oh and btw.. modivin... YOU ROCK! I would be honored to assist you in any adventure you attempt.. BUT my assistance would be very limited because YOU are the REAL DEAL and I could not keep up with you.. but it sure is fun watching and knowing the BEST!
 modivin
Msg: 48
Posted: 10/14/2011 6:58:07 PM
For some reason I cannot get the image out of my head of you Robert.....lowering yourself to a certain level and then falling on the terlet. I know exactly what you're dealing with. Just be grateful you can pee standing up!

I know a few of us are looking in to getting a group to do GoRuck challenge either here in the quad cities or in Chicago (March).

I certainly appreciate the compliments as well. Thank you. I am being the best I can be and am aiming for better at all times. No half assing anything here.

Today....I was slightly pissed for a heated moment because I was trying to get best of 3 sets of 500 meter row. First two rounds, same time. Third round, 2 seconds slower. Right around 350 my quads were fatiguing....I had my roommate next to me saying...come on...was telling myself...cut the crap...and PUSH through it! Still 2 seconds slower. At the end I said well dang, I could have stopped at the first but I'm too competitive with myself to accept it the first was the best time.

Love Cross Fit.
 RobertinStages
Msg: 49
Posted: 10/15/2011 2:41:56 AM
LOL.. I'm finding out now that crawling up to the "terlet" is much easier than lowering.. especially if you want to hit the target before it's too late. As for peeing my arms are so sore I can't hold it.. not that it weighs that much..LOL

Ok.. random fact about me. I have the attention span of a gnat and any post too long I just skip.. but I'm kinda laid up now and bored so I read what the "issues" are. I never knew who this Glassman was or is and don't care. I am glad he likes to drink, hopefully it's a good beer too... add a cigar and I'm in heaven. No.. I'm not gonna kill myself or die and any other stupid motto someone thinks of. I love to work out! What attracted me to this sport was the women. There are some really cool women in this "sport" and I love their attitude!!!! You really can partner with them and they are so damn inspirational. The choice easy for me. Pick a "sport" with women you can partner with or one with mainly meatheads... no brainer. Last but not least the women I've seen in the sport, even the "chubby ones", are very sexy!
 Playing with Madness
Msg: 50
Posted: 10/15/2011 8:17:21 AM

Last but not least the women I've seen in the sport, even the "chubby ones", are very sexy!

This is so true in my eyes. I have yet, to see an attractive female body builder or Iron Queen.

I am not sure why people are bashing on Crossfit to be honest with you. They are summing up the experience, the reasoning by it, the benefits of it based on a guy who likes to drink. Wow!
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Cross Fit and Extreme event athletes?