Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Cross Fit and Extreme event athletes?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 modivin
Msg: 76
Cross Fit and Extreme event athletes?Page 4 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
What is your nutrition intake? Since you said you gained 5 lbs, that's why I asked.

Remember....if your legs are too sore...rowing won't be any easier. You should be using legs with that too!!
 RobertinStages
Msg: 77
Cross Fit and Extreme event athletes?
Posted: 10/19/2011 6:49:42 PM
I WAS a terrible eater.. when my kiddo comes to visit I eat much better. I jumped on the scale a month ago and was withing 5lbs of my college wrestling weight.... without dieting! Yikes I thought.. so I'm cooking more and freezing it so it's easy to heat up after I'm tired from biking, working out etc.. I used to just lay down and go to sleep and barely ate the next day too.. and the pattern went on all summer long. I would eat once a day. Since that weigh-in, I started making some cookies, eating ice cream, and started having bread again with food. I don't count calories anymore.. WHY.. cause I don't have to.. LOL

I have an old StarCraft 12' foot heavy aluminum boat with three benches so you can't really use your legs.. all back and arms.
 modivin
Msg: 78
Posted: 10/19/2011 7:10:18 PM
Am I reading this right

You still eat cookies, ice cream, and bread frequently?

And you gained 5 lbs since you can't cycle outside?
 RobertinStages
Msg: 79
Posted: 10/19/2011 7:16:18 PM
In the last month I started eating cookies, ice cream, bread and you can add donuts too. Until about a month ago I could cycle 6x a week.. now I'm lucky to get in 3.
 modivin
Msg: 80
Posted: 10/19/2011 7:30:11 PM
Ok. Well, either substitute something in for the cycling, like running......or treat the sweets as a treat, moderation vs several times a week. Makes sense why you gained 5lbs in the last month. Cookies, ice cream, bread, and donuts....not exactly ideal choices.

Actually...if you like sweets....

What I do if I really crave something sweet....as in ice cream sweet...

Since I always have fruit on hand, be it frozen or fresh...the best desert I came up with is microwaving 4 slices of peaches (microwaved from frozen), sprinkle granola, and vanilla greek yogurt.
I don't have a massive sweet tooth but to me, that always tastes better then ice cream.
 RobertinStages
Msg: 81
Posted: 10/19/2011 7:42:48 PM
SOUNDS YUMMY! Good idea. I really don't eat sweets or fruit either. I just thought I should eat some sweets cause I was kept losing weight and was getting a little scared on what I weighed. I will say this though.. when I eat ice cream.. I LOVE IT! I just rarely buy it and hit the local homemade place for some good stuff. The same goes for sweets, I just don't buy/bring any in the house. I probably should have waited for winter to hit before I overeacted to my weight. The lower weight has helped with my pullups.
 RobertinStages
Msg: 82
Posted: 10/19/2011 7:46:11 PM
Good idea on the running. I used to run cross country in high school and ran a lot in college. But not much if at all since then. I haven't liked treadmills but need to try it again. Was just so boring.
 RobertinStages
Msg: 83
Posted: 10/19/2011 7:51:20 PM
I'm trying to gain a few a pounds btw.. not lose it. I just think I'm overeacting. I should just wait for the weight to come on naturally which it will because of the less cycle times.
 modivin
Msg: 84
Posted: 10/19/2011 7:54:34 PM
Ok...makes sense now.

Do you have access to a gym? If so, and if you have not done it, have someone qualified do both a taping and BF% analysis. The taping will give you a something to go off of for each measurement. The BF% will also give you an idea of what your weight breaks down in to.

Weight on the scale is just a bunch of numbers. Knowing what the numbers mean will give you an idea.
 RobertinStages
Msg: 85
Posted: 10/19/2011 8:09:28 PM
You absolutely right! I just joined a gym at the end of last month. I'll ask if they can do a BF%. What is taping? Measuring chest, waist, etc.?
 modivin
Msg: 86
Posted: 10/19/2011 8:38:26 PM
If you are trying to put weight on and build muscle, taping (measuring body parts (arms, legs, neck, waist, chest, etc) will give you a more accurate reading then the scale. It will show you which part of your body has gone up/down. If you joined a gym that has personal trainers, they should be able to do an assessment at no cost since you are a new member. Gyms typically have one of two things for BF% calculations.
1) calipers: measuring skin folds at specific parts of your body. The more places measured, the more accurate the reading.
2) a hand held body fat monitor

Between the two, the caliper method is more accurate. It is not 100% accurate. But for the testing that is out there and having access at the gym (hopefully) it is the more ideal situation. Be sure when you are having someone do this, that they are properly trained and they do the measurements 3 separate times for a higher accuracy. When you get remeasured about 6-8 weeks later, hopefully the same person will remeasure you.

Under ideal conditions, caliper-tests predict fat percentage within plus or minus 3.5 percent of your true body composition, as defined by ACSM.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/339058-accuracy-of-the-caliper-test-for-body-fat/#ixzz1bHyozxAp
 RobertinStages
Msg: 87
Posted: 10/20/2011 5:54:23 AM
It would be interesting to know what my body fat level is for sure! I'm really not trying to build muscle. I like the way I look now. As it is now most of my clothes don't fit anymore. I wanna build strength and endurance for CrossFit. I want a "healthy" body fat level and will look at the 3.5% of true body composition you provided. THANKS! What's so funny is that I never worried about body fat. I have been a little over 200 lbs at times in college but it was off season. Dan Gable, an icon in the wrestling world, said, " The amount of skin you can pinch on your forehead is the amount you should be able to pinch on your waist". Those were the days! Scary thing is that Iwas within five lbs of my wrestling weight and that is not a healthy weight to have for long.
 modivin
Msg: 88
Posted: 10/20/2011 8:55:00 AM
Well you did say you wanted to gain rather then lose. Definitely better to gain muscle then gain fat. I would say start with the numbers and evaluate your goals from there rather then what the scale says.
For me, if I ever want to be down to high school track weight, I have to lose muscle...and quite a bit of it at that. I would rather not pay attention to the numbers on the scale and go off how I feel, how my clothes fit, and most important...how I am active wise. I know once I am in triathlon mode, I will be losing muscle just from the type of training, but won't be losing a ton.
 CPRLADY
Msg: 89
Posted: 10/20/2011 12:50:44 PM
We all do get sore form Crossfit. Tells us we are working it hard and hopefully doing it right. I bet you guys could kick butt right now. Keep it up. I miss it and getting back into it in a few weeks will be tough at first. As for KB swings, I left at 35#, so that going to suck when I start all over again. Geez.
As for the lake Mr Robert, well rub it in, but you can kayak like I do-I have 2 of them, but it's already to cold for me somedays, cause I don't have the winter gear as of yet. But it is a great upper body workout for me, as I like to push myself sometimes.

Biking is one sport I never got into-I wish I did.
As for my dog, MY PICKLES is 14, so I had her first-lmao. Everyone copied off of me.

My competition is November 5th, in Granite City, Il. You can go under USAPL/MO, look for founder Rick Fowler. He has postings, not a real website per/say. He does post after meets as well, so you can see how well everyone has done.

Off today, squats tom-pray I don't drop them again-starting later in life and w/ a repaired R ACL makes it harder for me to squat. I can get down, but pushing up is tough.

Be well go save a life today.
CPRLADY
 modivin
Msg: 90
Posted: 10/20/2011 8:04:18 PM
If I could marry Cross Fit...I would

hahahhaa
 RobertinStages
Msg: 91
Posted: 10/21/2011 2:49:45 AM
LOL .. you know I've never been in a relationship with a athlete. I wonder what the challenges would be? Hmmmm

I'm gonna look up the site CPR! The 5th is coming soon and I hope you can update us on mind and body, often, until the event. I love to use "updates" as inspiration for my own quest for glory. ;-) Makes for great reading too! hee hee You know.. I don't think I have ever been in a canoe??? Always wanted to try one.
 CPRLADY
Msg: 92
Posted: 10/21/2011 5:00:10 AM
Check out our website. CPR-N-MORE.com. Would love for the world to be trained, any age.
2 weeks and 1 day to go, for our competition.
Just left the gym w/ trainer. Great squat set today. Hit all 5 sets of 3 reps at 140#s.

Tom is deadlift workouts with the big boys-send good vibes.
Have a great day all.
Go save a live

CPRLADY
 RobertinStages
Msg: 93
Posted: 10/21/2011 8:51:58 AM
You know what's so weird modivin is that it really is possible to get really close to any weight as long as your height hasn't changed.. BUT HIGH SCHOOL is out of the question for me! LOL I have gained a lot muscle since then and would have to cut my head off for a chance at that number.. hee hee What did events in track did you compete in? I tried the javelin in college but got bored of having to go get it after every throw. lol

November 5th! Cool beans CPR.. have a great rest day! I'm going in today and that will make it 5 on and going to take Sat/Sun off. I really am thinking though to change it to 3 on 1 off.. I'm really really sore. I'm gonna give this some time though cause I am working things differently with the CrossFit routines. Today gonna do burpees and boxjump along with kettle ball, pullups, air squats and anything else I can work in the hour.
 modivin
Msg: 94
Posted: 10/21/2011 8:56:20 AM
True. For me it would require shaving down muscle from my legs. I happen to enjoy having power.

HS Track: 100 sprint, unofficially broke the record running it in just over 13seconds

Played softball also for 5 years. And before HS I played soccer for 6 years.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 95
Posted: 10/21/2011 9:03:32 AM
^^

I am trying to get back to my original weight:

8 lbs, 3 ozs.. : )
 RobertinStages
Msg: 96
Posted: 10/21/2011 9:17:52 AM
LOL Don't tell mama .. I pretty sure she wants you stay where you are...
 modivin
Msg: 97
Posted: 10/21/2011 11:56:35 AM
Lol Robert...that would be a rude awakening.....and a new twist on momma I'm coming home
 RobertinStages
Msg: 98
Posted: 10/22/2011 6:51:22 AM
LOL .. you're a funny girl!

Well I made it through the week.. 5 days straight, working it hard .. I will will tell you I wanted a rest day every day doing it. Two days rest now.. but DAMN.. the weather looks like it is gonna be GREAT for a bike ride!!! Oh man .. what to do????
 modivin
Msg: 99
Posted: 10/22/2011 7:36:17 AM
I say go for a bike ride at least one day and rest the other!!

I may just bike ride today and tomorrow!!
 RobertinStages
Msg: 100
Posted: 10/22/2011 7:42:52 AM
I'm with you!!! Gonna go pumpkin picking with my kiddo this afternoon so I think I'll rest today, which I need, and bike tomorrow. Yippee!!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Cross Fit and Extreme event athletes?