Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Cross Fit and Extreme event athletes?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RobertinStages
Msg: 201
Cross Fit and Extreme event athletes?Page 9 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
Too cool modivin your enthusiasm is contagious so please post often. I have not done any extreme events and really kicked myself for not knowing about this Tough Mudder until after it happened. I saw his Facebook post. I really think I'm in shape to at least attempt one. Go study .. school too. Damn I feel proud of you.
 modivin
Msg: 202
Cross Fit and Extreme event athletes?
Posted: 11/15/2011 7:14:03 PM
Oh...it is even more exciting then I imagined! I have brilliant doctors teaching our classes....and am looking in to possibly staying here a little longer (slight possibility)....two things that have my interest....staying on to receive a specialty in rehab/sports chiropractic and possibly research. Who knows...so many doors

The beauty of TM....it comes every year. Check out their website. I know they are coming back to NJ....if not somewhere in New England.

I swear...I will do my best to keep posting. You and CPR are the best!
 CPRLADY
Msg: 203
Posted: 11/16/2011 4:34:24 PM
Hey modivin/Robert,
Its been awhile. Miss talking to you guys. just caught up on all your happenings. You guys are shaming me, dang. What is this tuffmudder thingy? never heard of it.
Well I started back to Crossfit this Monday and today I met with my trainer. OMG-he kicked my butt and I am now feeling it-so bed is calling my name. We did 3 rounds of 50 squats/35 leg lunges than 65# 20-SDLHP. My goal is to drop #s before January. Its hard when you work long hours like I do. My eating sucks some days-so thats where I need motivation.
So keep posting all. I am passing on the next 2 PowerLift meets in Dec/Feb but will compete for State in March and Senior Olympics in May. training starts in January-so Cf for now.
All the best.

CPRLADY
 RobertinStages
Msg: 204
Posted: 11/17/2011 4:02:45 AM
Hiya CPR! I'm surprised you have time to train the way you do. That's awsome! My eating sucks too BUT really trying to get it on track. Just like the water, I have to make it a goal or I won't do it. So weird cause most people don't have problems with such basic things. Oh well.. nobody's perfect.

KEEP POSTING your workouts and feelings. Please? Misery and Happiness needs company. ;-) Oh almost forgot. Look up the Tough Mudder on the web. They have a site. I'm just learning about it too. It's very interesting. It's an obstacle course ot sorts and they claim its not just a race. Participants help each other at times through the course.
 RobertinStages
Msg: 205
Posted: 11/17/2011 5:33:36 PM
Had to take another rest day today. My knees are killing me from the treadmill. I ran for an hour and can't believe how bad my knees feel. A friend told me that treadmills are bad on the knees especially for men.
 CPRLADY
Msg: 206
Posted: 11/18/2011 5:58:26 AM
Yeppers Robert getting older is not for sissies.
Did a tough Crossfit today w/ my trainer. For time: 5 rounds of 12 Deadlifts @ 95#s, than 9 65# Power Cleans than 6 45# Push Presses-TIME overall 10:15, my best yet.

But I know my body will be barking back later. And tonite its off to dance than a volleyball tourney all day tomorrow-so check in w/ me by Sunday and see if I can still move.
Be well all
CPRLADY
 RobertinStages
Msg: 207
Posted: 11/18/2011 4:21:59 PM
Great point bigflick! Big thanks for the article. I agree with what you have summarized here for us. AMEN! I have trained in other sports by some really good even great coaches. These persons came from years of experience and I believe helped me avoid SERIOUS injury and excel at the sport. I do not feel that this sport has had enough maturity to have enough qualified coaches to meet the demand. Just cause you know how to do something does not mean you are a good coach. When I first looked at CrossFit around last Spring I knew that this was NOT something I could just jump into. CPR is a competition lifter and modivin has been a competitive athlete for years. These women in my book have what it takes to excel in this sport. As for me, I have not done MANY of the Crossfit routines, exercises, intensity, etc.. in years and with some things not at all. I know that I have to warm up to Crossfit before I DIVE in. By warming up I mean I am practicing each thing I am not familiar at a pace my body can handle. I want very good technique before I go for intensity/time. There are goals so I think the author missed something there. I do believe this also. When I have warmed up.. I'm going to have a blast going for it. And when I have had my fun with this I'll be looking for the next fun thing to do. I'm so glad there are people being creative with new sports. Makes intense workouts fun and I believe most people do NOTHING cause it aint fun.
 modivin
Msg: 208
Posted: 11/19/2011 9:59:34 AM
Wow....vacation is over!

So the article....
Decent article. But I had a feeling it would end as it did when it started the way it did.

The specific case of the potential life threatening injuries....that is like saying that if you play football you will have a broken neck....or if you ride a horse and get thrown, you will break your C1 (Christopher Reeve) and become paralyzed. Why? Because individual cases had this happen. Bottom line, there will be risks in anything you do. However, I personally would rather take the risk of training and conditioning rather then sit on my butt and get fat.

Cross Fit in general is an excellent program if you are not wanting to train for something specific (event specific). For me, last year it shaved off 2 minutes of my 5K time. Happy because that was the first time I ran a 5K since I was in the car accident.
However, there are goals that are measurable, so in that aspect, the author was not correct. It is not like working with a trainer where you lay out specific goals. CF seems to be more of an accountable thing....if you have a goal to achieve, then set it and achieve it.
I do agree that not everyone is qualified to teach. You can be great at the program but teaching is another element. My first exposure to CF was from my trainer but it was not a certified CF gym...and he actually created programs that were more difficult BUT was a stickler for PROPER FORM. I've been to a couple other CF gyms who were not focused on form. I would never go to a gym that does not correct your form since it is pointless to do something with sloppy form. You can injure easily doing so!

Thanks flick for the article!
 MandyLOVESCandy
Msg: 209
Posted: 11/19/2011 12:53:26 PM
Thank you modivin, I am going to try out cross-fit next week; I am in fairly good shape now, but could always use motivation to get to the next level!

VVVV

aw, thank you modivin, very sweet of you! not every girl that is a little pretty is all stuck up either, though some believe so I think!

VVV
 modivin
Msg: 210
Posted: 11/19/2011 1:01:10 PM
Anytime MandylovesCandy!

Oh and I saw that you attempted to get a couple thread discussions up. Sorry they were taken down...I wanted to respond to a couple but it seems you might be intimidating to some of the folks on here for being a natural beauty. All I can say is we are not all like that and in this CF thread, I've met some very inspirational and wonderful people who love motivating each other through sharing their stories.
So...you are always welcome here!
 RobertinStages
Msg: 211
Posted: 11/19/2011 4:21:17 PM
I looked at your profile Mandy and 32 years of age is your best bet for surviving CrossFit. At 52 years of age that is my worst enemy for surviving CrossFit. Now I know they say I'm supposed to scale down for my age and all. BUT STILL it's not for the weak at heart. As for motivation! I'm your best cheerleader.. LOL. I have to be cause I'm still in pre school. ;-p I do not discriminate against "natural beauties". If I did why would I be talking with CPR and modivin?

Honestly, most days we are suffering here and not feeling very "pretty". But then there are days like when CPR had her Power Lifting Competition and volley ball tournament (Another one this weekend) , modivin started school and Crossfit again!! AND THEN WE FEEL PRETTY! LOL

Welcome and please post often!
 modivin
Msg: 212
Posted: 11/19/2011 5:23:57 PM
Remember, age is just a number! The oldest American to climb Everest was almost 80 or close enough to it! Never discredit what you are doing.....everyone has to start learning to practice safe and proper lifting methods.

Did you ever see Anger Management? If not, hope this works

http://youtu.be/Kmv3WlKa6U8

Oh and Mandy....I just have to brag a bit...I went back to school to be a Chiropractor. So the first year I will have taken the equivalent of 4 years of credits in one year....31 credits this trimester. Add on this week I started conditioning with a new trainer. Was already doing Cross Fit but what I am doing now is more intense. I told Robert it is like CF meets Bob Harper.......and I love every second of it!
I don't know if I told you CPR and Bob, the other day I was doing dead lifts (95#) and working on proper form. Kind of getting annoyed because my butt kept sticking out just a bit vs being in the best form. My new dude was critiquing when I was setting up to do 1 legged bench lunges). Some girl who was watching us walked over to the dead lift bar, tried to lift it...screamed (like a girl....ahhhh!) because she couldn't even move the weight off the ground. She looked at me and said..no way....too heavy for me!
I smiled and secretly laughed because it was the typical girly girl...concentrating on cardio rather then a total body work out. And at the end of working out, some guys I know asked what I was training for because I was doing some pretty serious stuff......ironically, was the only other girl in the weight room as all the others were either doing zumba, volleyball or running.
Ah yes.....my legs are a powerhouse and I intend on just continuing to ramp up the power. Rugby....I may not be in the zone of wanting to hurt someone else...but I don't want to be pushed around either.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 213
Posted: 11/20/2011 12:30:21 AM
Cross fit is awesome. You can do anything from entry level stuff on up to things that make what I went through over a decade ago in a real Army boot camp look like a cake walk.

I am dong the "Grey-skull linear progresion" aka GSLP program. Wow it is really effective. I think I will exceed my goals for gained muscle mass.
 RobertinStages
Msg: 214
Posted: 11/20/2011 5:43:45 AM
Welcome Patrick! That sounds evil. LOL Grey-skull, huh. Would love to hear more about it. What I like about this thread is hearing what people are doing, how they are doing it, ups and downs, likes and dislikes if any, etc.. really anything you like. For me I get inspiration from others and you CAN'T have enough inspiration in my book.
 CPRLADY
Msg: 215
Posted: 11/20/2011 9:42:25 AM
Hi Gang,
Bigflicks- thanks for the article. I agree to disagree with some of the writers points. One I agree my age might be a factor-NOT-but like Robert said you can scale down the workouts to fit your needs. And Patrick/Candy welcome-we love to hear other peoples points of views.
My trainer is a Certified CF dude and a power lifter, so I have the best of both worlds and believe me he has been doing this for a very long time. When we did our WOD this week and fatigue sets in, Chris ( my Trainer), knows when to step in and stop me and talk about proper techniques. It does help that I have been in training/comp mode for 2 years for doing all the crazy stuff on CF-but once agian my trainer is right there with me to avoid any injuries. CF has helped my with endurance in my competitive mode including playing high power volleyball, my overhand serve is back- with mostly youngins these days. I don't fatigue as much, actually hardly at all.
Infact played in a vb tourney yesterday-played 20 games, made it all the way to the finals, lost by 3 points-but who cares. I was the oldest competitor (male/Female) and still have game. Ok- yep my body is barking back today-so I know when to REST.
Be well all

CPRLADY
 CPRLADY
Msg: 216
Posted: 11/20/2011 9:48:53 AM
AND PS: Modivin-you are so right -AGE is just a number
Robert -your are right as well-we give each other encouragement w/o being biased.
I need it as well.
Thanks everyone for all your advice/stores/inspirations.

Welcome any and all. Back to icing the knee.

CPRLADY
 modivin
Msg: 217
Posted: 11/20/2011 10:22:26 AM
I firmly believe in living life FULLY rather then being cautious about EVERYTHING I do hahhahaa

I think it stems from having some a-hole doctor tell me I would never run, cycle, or do any sports again.....as well as live a day without pain. Then again, he was a glorified drug pusher, shoving needles in my spine to inject epidural steroids to mask the pain.

Its amazing what the body is capable of.....if you have the mindset to support it you can do anything (within reason....as in, not defying natural laws ie gravity). And for me, if you say I can't do something and I know I can, I will do everything in my power to be able to do it.

Which is why so many of my friends are inspired by my drive and persistence. Once I set my mind on something, its already considered done. Just a matter of walking the steps to complete it.

Happy Sunday all...back to studying!
 modivin
Msg: 218
Posted: 11/20/2011 2:43:28 PM
Nice flick!! You're right too...bigger cities have more choices vs smaller cities.

With Candy..Mandy...one of my friends owns a bakery/sweet shop and recently lost a ton of weight. Constantly eating and I'm guessing using food as a comfort rather then what it is designed to do (provide nutrients). She started working with a trainer and his group and has dropped I think 70+ lbs....is doing all kinds of things, like running events and even her first triathlon. And..she is a mom, wife, has responsibilities at home but makes it work since it is a priority in her life now. No matter how old you are or the circumstances, if you make your health a higher priority, you will find a way to make it happen.

I just love reading what everyone is doing on here. Like our own little accountability club to check in.......welcome to the family flick
 RobertinStages
Msg: 219
Posted: 11/20/2011 8:02:31 PM
CPR... Twenty games!!!! Did you say Two Zero???? The last time you were in a VB tournament I didn't think it would take TWENTY GAMES to get to the finals. Holy Toledo!! Damn your team is good. I'm in awe. Lost by three huh? That sounds like an exciting final. LOVE IT!

Congratualtions CPR!!!
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 220
Posted: 11/21/2011 12:18:32 AM
Robert I would look at a book titled starting strength and decide if you want to start with that before doing GSLP. Both are cross fit but geared to getting gains in size and strength. The GSLP can be eased directly into but during the starting over/novice gain time frame starting strength is as effective and less complicated. GSLP throws your body some wicked change ups so you wont plateau.

If you are looking for detailed reviews of programs there is a crossfit.com forum.. It's great talking here but on there the guy who originated a routine could chime in.
 RobertinStages
Msg: 221
Posted: 11/21/2011 5:23:12 AM
Hi Patrick. I see what your saying. Makes sense that someone would take XFit and gear it up like you say. I don't wanna gain size but I do strength training. I manage to figure out my body and know when to ease up so don't gain size. I'm staying from crossfit forums for now. Once I'm in the program myself I will start joining in over there. I do go to the site for all the excercises, videos, WOD, etc.. getting familiar with the program. I'm having a blast doing my own "preschool" that I geared toward me. I pick a Xfit excersise that I feel I don't do enough of and start working on that BUT keep what I love to do in a gym and that's EVERYTHING. I have some crazy good routines I do with dumb bells. Over the years I've learned a lot of fun routines and I just pick 'em as I want while listening to what my body can take. Starting this week I wanna start developing good technique with Olympic Lifts. Gonna start off with very low weight and incorporate those in my regular workout. Kettleball, pullups, burpees, Ball to the Wall, Box jump are already part of my regular workout week.
 MandyLOVESCandy
Msg: 222
Posted: 11/21/2011 10:12:37 AM
Thanks for the welcoming spirit , modivin. you are a true sweetheart, so encouraging to other people - I can see that about you!

for you , girl friend ---->
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 223
Posted: 11/21/2011 12:01:14 PM
Modivin, we do that at our club, not every one can do it and take a while to get into rhythm , I do them and some of my teammates does them before hockey.

Have you tried it?
 CPRLADY
Msg: 224
Posted: 11/21/2011 12:50:10 PM
Yep Robert ,20 games TWO/ZERO-and iced all nite long, have to hit the gym today tho and will go slow and easy, cuz for some reason, my right knee and foot are still barking back.

Remember folks, I blew the foot years ago in sand VB, so there is a pin in that and than blew my right knee out in 2006 doing a Class 5+ whitewater trip on the Gauley River in WVA. What a way to go, complete ACL tear, pins in that so w/ age as well , my trainer and I know when to ease off. If I had only heard about all this stuff years ago.
So onward and upward. I still have to get the eating under control-really suck at this part.
Keep me posted on all that your doing. Thanks for the tips-could use some in the eating department-ugh.

Be well and safe.

CPRLADY
 modivin
Msg: 225
Posted: 11/21/2011 4:13:18 PM
Aww..Mandy, you're incredibly sweet for saying so. I'm definitely one who believes in service through helping others achieve their full potential. Hugs back at ya girl!

Iceman..what are you referring to?
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Cross Fit and Extreme event athletes?