Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Occupy Wall Street      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 1076
Occupy Wall StreetPage 44 of 53    (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53)
Watching Corzine was pretty funny from the stand point that the Right keeps telling us how these guys are SO much smarter than the rest of us, and totally deserve their 300% more than the worker pay scales, their massive Golden Parachutes, and not being prosecuted for their theft and fraud.

If I went to my boss and told them a hour long stream of "I dunno", "I can't remember", and "It's not in my files", I'm pretty sure my parachute would hold an anvil.
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 1077
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/9/2011 2:04:48 PM
Corzine pfft , and you know why I hate Wall street cronies , I wonder how much money his best friend Christopher Flowers hid for him? maybe the FBI should investigate Flowers?
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 1078
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/9/2011 2:10:57 PM

So, what would people think of a compromise that looked a bit like this:

Federal government cut taxes drastically across the board and allow the states to pick up more responsibilities. If federal taxes were cut by 15% and state taxes were increased by 10% how would that change the balance of power?

Hey...an actual idea/suggestion...this is good!

The problem with reducing federal income taxes 15% and raising state taxes 10% is that it equates to a massive reduction in taxes...for instance...here in Connecticut the state tax is roughly 4%...a 10% increase would make it 4.4%...let's say the effective federl tax average is 20% (I really don't know the average effective rate)...a 15% reduction woud make the effective rate 17%...so there would be a 2 .6% reduction in income overall...would a .4%increase in state taxes make up for the lost federal revenue???I don't know (said like Corizine)
 Aries_328
Msg: 1079
view profile
History
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/9/2011 2:19:47 PM

4%...a 10% increase would make it 4.4%...

Your right... Flaw...
I actually meant, the reduced amount in federal goes directly to state. Not a direct 10% of state current.

or however this works out..

In made up numbers...
My 15% reduction saves me $1000
I keep $200 and give my state $800

I do computers not math :)
 OyVay...
Msg: 1080
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/9/2011 5:41:02 PM
So that's it?? That's what makes him bad? A "D" behind his name! Hahahahaha!!

You don't get it, and probably never will.

Look at the long list of them, Robert Rubin, Hank Paulsen, Gensler, Corzine, all of you may continue the list as you will, but those names are both republicans and democrats.

All good crooks to a man. Do you know what they all have in common? They all come from Goldman Sachs!

You guys will never get it! Hhahahaha!
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 1081
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/9/2011 5:41:37 PM
Yeah Paul, that'd be the one. See, I dont' play favorites. I'm an independant.

The GOP has been telling us that guys like Corzine DESERVE all that money and power. Because they're so much smarter than the rest of us (300% smarter?)

Seems to be that they're just scum. And if you can get over your partisanship for 5 minutes, you'd have to admit for every Corzine, theres more with an R after their name.
 Aries_328
Msg: 1082
view profile
History
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/9/2011 5:49:02 PM

They all come from Goldman Sachs!

Come on... a little further... what would a single company have to gain by collapsing the system? You’re giving credence to the 'corporate personhood'. "The corporation" did it because it was bad and needs to be spanked. If you don't belive in corporate personhood then this must keep going.
 OyVay...
Msg: 1083
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/9/2011 7:46:58 PM
Gawd!! Some of you are dense!

"what would a single company have to gain by collapsing the system?"

Absolutely nothing! Do you think they go into government service to wreck the system? NO!! They go into it, to advance the agenda they believe is best for them, and the companies they work for..It's not their going into anything that wrecks the system, it's their giant ego's that allow them to bet the ranch, that wrecks the system.

After all, it isn't their money on the line, it's those who invested in that company. When asked, then pressed, after he apologized for the debacle of MF Global, Corzine said in answer to one question "Will you and the directors put the full force of your personal wealth on the line, to make sure customers were made whole?" He said "I don't think I will be doing that" or words to that effect.

This is but a case study in minature of what happened in 08, when banks gone wild, got their way with the system. If one is good 50 must be better, if 50 are better than 50,000 will be great and on and on! Stay in the left lane, and keep your foot on the gas, nothing can stop me, I'm a master of the universe!

Then even when it starts to look like it will fail, invent ways to bet against the thing you drove too far, and make money the other way, when the market collapses. Screw all the people who's lives you just ruined, remember to get yours first!
 Aries_328
Msg: 1084
view profile
History
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/9/2011 8:18:38 PM
You are the one that said, "Do you know what they all have in common? They all come from Goldman Sachs!"

So, you didn't mean it? So now it was all the 80's. What’s the point of flip flopping all around when it's not a mystery what it was. The thing I don't buy is your assertion that it was just done to make a few guys rich. That’s not enough. Not for it to actually be a global crisis. Not for it to be causing worldwide protests. Not enough to be destabilizing governments across the world. Sorry, I think it's a bit larger then 'the 80's' and Goldman Sachs. But I'm starting to get comfortable wearing my tinfoil hat. My next trick is going to be buying MRE's. With Russia now starting up... We are not done yet. 2012 Here we come. You know what they say… “Even a broken clock is right twice a day.” Give me a reason why the conspiracy guys are ‘wrong’. Other than because they are ignorant fools…

Yeah, I am being a bit on the facetious side with the conspiracy. But you know what... When it starts making more sense than anything else... maybe there is a problem. Sure as hell makes a lot more sense the saying a bunch of republicans did it.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 1085
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/10/2011 10:29:29 AM

Yeah, I am being a bit on the facetious side with the conspiracy. But you know what... When it starts making more sense than anything else... maybe there is a problem. Sure as hell makes a lot more sense the saying a bunch of republicans did it.

Oh, yes! That makes a lot of sense! A bunch of thieves, most of them Republicans, stealing as much as they can because 2012 is coming!

Whatever you want to think or believe, they are still a bunch of thieves. They should be thanking their god that the protests are still peaceful.
 hoopsnhikes
Msg: 1086
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/10/2011 1:06:36 PM

No offense Viper, but CNN has been leaning right for a while now. They're like FOX light.

Is that the same CNN that felt obliged to run the "fact check" on the Saturday Night Live skit poking fun at President Obama to make sure he wasn't being treated unfairly? How right wing of them. I must have have missed it when they did a similar service for all those Bush and Palin skits.
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 1087
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/12/2011 6:51:58 AM
Well SAN, the Federal reserve is a creature of Congress and where do you think the majority of the Federal reserve profits goes?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 1088
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/12/2011 8:42:09 AM
Is that the same CNN that felt obliged to run the "fact check" on the Saturday Night Live skit poking fun at President Obama to make sure he wasn't being treated unfairly? How right wing of them. I must have have missed it when they did a similar service for all those Bush and Palin skits.

CNN is like all corporate news networks and operate on pretty much the same agenda.

They are nothing more than:

Rich People employing -
- other Rich people -
- to tell the Middle class -
- to blame it all on the Poor people.

I think it is called class warfare and currently the top is winning hands down.
 Aries_328
Msg: 1089
view profile
History
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/12/2011 7:00:44 PM

Why would any decent bunch of people legislate such a monster into existence, that can be clearly seen will devour the wealth of the world & destroy the world ???

No decent people would that, only corrupt people.

Shame on such terrible evil !

And shame on the blood soaked hands of those who gave it it's existence.

Now, this one is going to make people want to hit me. I totally agree with you but can't agree. It is what you say but it shouldn't be thrown out.

The world has grown too large to support itself on a truly backed currency. I fully acknowledge that our money is fantasy and based on debt like a black hole. However, that was the only way that enough could be generated to support the growth of what we live in today around the world. There is just not enough real 'limited resources' to divide up.

The problem is that it has been abused. Everyone knew that it was capable of being abused. It was easy to do. But, I don't see an answer in returning to gold as a standard. The world would literally explode.
 Aries_328
Msg: 1090
view profile
History
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/13/2011 10:14:33 AM
told you would not like it.

You say 'absolute nonsense'. But that means nothing. There would only be two ways to pull off a complete change over.

1 - all money is dissolved simultaneously and recreated on a new value system with a limited resource as its basis in weight... So, a pound is a pound..

2 - Total replacement of all money by a single currency with equal value across the world and most likely backed the same as current system...

So, it’s easy for you to declare sheeple when you have nothing but dreams as alternatives. As far as I know about the banker conspiracies option 2 is the goal. And if anti sheeple people had a clue they would see that in order to obtain this goal it requres a total collapse of money everywhere to start the rising up of the population to demand a fix. Oops... thats you...
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 1091
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/13/2011 10:24:39 AM
This is why history should be taught in schools.

The Fed was created in the wake of a financial crisis in the early 20th century. J.P Morgan essentially stopped a run on the banks and a Wall Street meltdown. The President and Congress realized that relying on the public mindedness of Mr. Morgan probably wasn't good public policy. So they set up the Fed.

And when the UK went back to the gold standard, it was one of the primary causes of the Great Depression. It didn't last - even in the 30's a modern economy couldn't run on a currency backed by the shininess of a metal. Gold doesn't actually have any intrinsic value - it's just shiny and pretty.
 OyVay...
Msg: 1092
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/14/2011 7:40:20 AM
So Time magazine named "protestor" the man of the year! Not only meaning the arab spring but the OWS folks as well.

Someone asked who will remember?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 1093
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/14/2011 10:50:59 AM
Um, I think that was a Newsweek cover about 40 years ago. And the scientists quoted said that the writer got it wrong immediately after it was published. I know you guys like to keep bringing this up, but I was alive then and it didn't cause a ripple in the public psyche. The notion of a nuclear winter did cause concern a few years later though - maybe that's what you were thinking of.

The whole point of the protest was to get some issues into discussion. Issues which are of concern to the vast majority of people, but which were ignored by the right wing mainstream media. Most of the mainstream coverage has been about the nuisance factor, but a little tiny bit of the issues which brought people into the streets has made it into the 12th paragraph of some of the stories.
 Aries_328
Msg: 1094
view profile
History
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/14/2011 11:18:11 AM

which were ignored by the right wing mainstream media.

Is it possible to stop saying this completely stupid line? It means nothing anymore since all that happens is both sides say the other owns the story. I do not know a single 'right wing' person that believes "right wing' media is at all prevalent. Just as most on the left think claim that every media outlet is in some from a 'right wing' controlled outlet.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 1095
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/14/2011 11:31:41 AM
I know the right in your country doesn't see the right wing bias in the media. They keep trumpeting how left wing it is. But the fact is that none of the issues important enough to bring people from all over the country into the streets got any coverage before the protests. That demonstrates a bias in what stories get covered. On the other hand, fewer than a dozen people could gather in a "Tea Party" protest somewhere and their concerns got extensive coverage.

Lets go back to the massive protest in Seattle over a decade ago now. Did you hear about it before it happened? Do you know what their concerns were? Literally hundreds of thousands of people came from all over the country without anyone in the mainstream media having the slightest notion it was happening. And their concerns weren't explained at all.

Compare that to the Tea Party. Widespread coverage for months beforehand, ginning up involvement. Fewer people across the country, much less in one place at one time. Yet we heard ad nauseum all about what they wanted and one of the major parties is now beholden to them.

Global warming is as much an issue of dispute as the Holocaust. Yet while we don't see Holocaust deniers given equal voice on CNN, any discussion of global warming includes someone (usually more than one) who claim that the world scientific community is actually an evil cabal who are secretly plotting to bring down capitalism and America.
 OyVay...
Msg: 1096
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/14/2011 11:42:13 AM
halftime, your talking about the demonstrations at the WTO meeting. You notice they no longer meet in the USA.

Besides all that, most right wingers don't even know who this is!

As for Time having seen "better days", gee I guess a circulation of 20 million (largest in the USA) is bad? Funny, if they wrote about a right wing cause being center stage, we would be hearing it out the a..! Hahahaha!!

Gotta luv the folks who want to minimalize what has happened!
 OyVay...
Msg: 1097
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/15/2011 9:51:03 PM
Hmmmm, absurd??

The fourth was held in Qatar, the fifth in Cancun, the sixth Hong Kong, the seventh and eigth were in Geneva in fact the 7th was in 2009 and the 8th is going on as we speak.

Now call me crazy, but none of those were here in the USA. For that matter the mini meetings were held in Geneva, Paris and Potsdam germany.

Do you really believe after what they have accomplished in the last 16 years, in terms of jobs, the WTO will meet here in this country, in this current job and political climate?

Frankly pointing out the number of countries seems absurd, since outside of the roughly 10 industrial leaders, home to the multi-national companies who's interest the WTO represents, most of them are merely labor for REAL cheap.

Now THAT'S absurd!
 hoopsnhikes
Msg: 1098
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/17/2011 8:31:45 AM

You're right Skoochie..the ad homenims are inevitable when the occupy haters have nothing. TTG seems to have been on here over the years with several different persona, usually obsessively focused on labels..ie "drum bangers" this time, obsessing about the less than 1/100th of 1% of the 99% who actually banged a drum.

Is that % higher or lower than the % of the Tea Party who have ever actually "tea bagged"? Because I have passed through both Tea Party and OWS gatherings, and have seen drum banging at the latter, but never any tea bagging at the former. But you've never seemed to have a problem with resorting to the ad hominems and labels for the Tea Party that you now appear to be condemning when it's done to the Occupiers.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 1099
view profile
History
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/17/2011 11:28:17 PM
I saw an article claiming that CEO pay has gone up by over 30% during these recent hard times, IE since the 2005 collapse. This indicates that the total disconnect between pay for the people at the top of the corporate ladder continues to have NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the health or accomplishments of the companies they are responsible for.

One more good reason for SOME sort of protest or opposition against such.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 1100
view profile
History
Occupy Wall Street
Posted: 12/17/2011 11:54:32 PM
I really don't understand why a group would call themselves the "tea party" after the Boston tea party which was based on an anarchist revolt movement against their government. I don't think whoever came up with that name really didn't think that name through clearly. lol
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Occupy Wall Street