Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Time Travel-Is it possible?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gingerosity
Msg: 226
view profile
History
Time Travel-Is it possible?Page 10 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)

If you looked at Earth from 65 m light years away..... you would see dinosaurs.

A couple of suggestions for dinosaur-viewing locations below. The nice thing about these is that they are also easily observable with a basic scope from here, so you can see their dinosaur-like photons without leaving your backyard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messier_109
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGC_584
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 227
Time Travel-Is it possible?
Posted: 11/5/2014 7:30:44 PM

If it was, we would know about it.

If you do not understand that, then you do not understand time travel.
 billingsmason
Msg: 228
Posted: 11/5/2014 9:11:47 PM
Says the glasses wearing man.

Movember.
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 229
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2014 2:05:31 PM
.won thgir emit hguorht sdrawkcab gnilevart m'I
 AlienHumanHybrid
Msg: 230
Posted: 11/21/2014 10:26:43 AM
So... If the past or future did exist to be visited (which is unlikely, as it would require constant addition of all material every instant [ as would every decision or occurrence causing a separate universe -so I don't go for that, either]), it would probably be easiest to travel to a certain point as an emergent pattern made up of negligible material at any given point in time (because the future is just a rearrangement of the past, I'm just doing a bit of mental exercise).

I suppose it would be similar to a transporter from Star Trek, but rather than deconstruct and reconstruct a person, the pattern would be used to construct a person from non-original material.
Sort of a cross between a transporter and a replicator.
This would also allow for programmable instant clones -because it would not be necessary to deconstruct the original... Which might be somewhat possible at any given present time.

But then you could end up with multiple selves and might feel bad about deconstructing them after they served their purpose.
Or.... What if you replicated yourself and found you didn't really like yourself?
I wonder if interacting with yourself from the perspective of another you would be different than pictures or film.
I could probably learn a lot from myself.
You could repair yourself by scanning the original, editing, replicating and then deleting the original.

Whoah

Anyway..... The process of mapping the physical and mental state of a person at a certain point in time might prove more difficult than finding a way to replicate the pattern.
 AlienHumanHybrid
Msg: 231
Posted: 11/21/2014 4:13:51 PM
Meh -no, thanks -too much work even to think about

Also, superposition may be a known phenomenon -but not fully known -and they take it way too far in their theories.
I'm admittedly a newb, but I'd imagine they'll eventually find that one thing can only apparently or effectively be in two places at once -similar to the two sides of a propeller seeming to make a full circle when spinning (and effectively making a full circle should some slow bird try to fly past as if it was not spinning), or keeping two basketballs from hitting the ground with only one hand. Just depends on your perspective -and ours is one of being very big and slooowwwwwww compared to what we observe at that level.

It's fun to think about time travel and many universes, but I'm still not with all that.
 AlienHumanHybrid
Msg: 232
Posted: 11/21/2014 8:27:38 PM
Just some random thoughts.....

I don't know why we would assume that an entire complex life form could possibly exhibit the characteristics of tiny particles and somehow negate or suspend the characteristics of everything else which made up that life form. Their characteristics are a part of us, but the combined effects of all characteristics of all parts defines what is possible for the whole.

I was thinking..... If we could map ourselves and make a copy of ourselves, we might seem to exist in two places at once -but the other would not actually be our self. The other would be another instance of the same mapped pattern, but composed of a rearrangement of other material.

What seems to be in two places might only be affecting two places -or one might be a sort of reflection of the other -or be oscillating between two places so quickly as to appear to be present in both -or be something which is apparent by its effects, and its effects lead and trail it, etc...

I should really give this physics thing a look-see. It's fun to think about this stuff, but I really don't know what I'm talking about -especially with the specific terms.
 babiebird
Msg: 233
Posted: 11/22/2014 5:31:49 PM
No idea......+
 AlienHumanHybrid
Msg: 234
Posted: 11/23/2014 7:23:46 AM
I'm just a non-bullshitist.

Some theories are like a really effective sales pitch -based on some truth, but a complete lie which leads to a waste of money, time, effort and opportunity to have fun being a monkey -doing things which are of value rather than placing value in bullshit. Even the salesman thinks he's ahead of the game, but does no lasting good.

Then everything collapses to zero.
 funchesf
Msg: 235
Posted: 12/1/2014 12:18:06 PM
anything that ever was or ever will be, exist right now, at this exact moment, at this exact point in time within the subconscious.....funches 3:16

according to theory, belief or perhaps rumor, energy supposedly can not be created nor destroyed, for the sake of argument I'm going to debate the point as if the theory is true...if so therefore energy must also contain memory

because how could time travel even be possible if energy did not contain memory of the past ...or what some refer to as "The Fabric of The Universe" where the past present and future exist as one...or perhaps not at all

therefore everything that is made of energy is therefore composed of this memory....the memory of everything that ever was or ever will be

think of the fabric of the universe as a Computer Hard drive composed of energy which in this example I will call "Silly Putty" that can bend shape and mold itself into anything and everything, any circumstance any happenstance, anything imaginable or unimaginable, and to the past present and future or beyond....

now all you have to do is access that memory ..and since you yourself are composed of this memory, you therefore can access it using the subconscious where inherent knowledge supposedly lies..

and this is why "according to the theory" that energy can not be destroyed nor created time travel is possible without using any technology beyond ourselves ...
 robaustralia
Msg: 236
Posted: 12/4/2014 9:38:56 AM
The fact that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed is not a theory, belief or rumour.It is a law of physics. Human memories are anatomical changes in the brain and as such are not stored in energy.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 237
Posted: 12/5/2014 5:49:13 AM

The long and the short of it, we don't know how memories are stored in the brain.

but we do know that memories are not the memories of the events but the memories of the last time we remembered.
 funchesf
Msg: 238
Posted: 12/5/2014 7:05:58 AM

The fact that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed is not a theory, belief or rumour.It is a law of physics.

not a "law" of physics but perhaps more like a "commandment" of physics ...because such a claim falls in line with religious belief

because it energy exist, it therefore had to be created from a source other than itself....unless of course you are of the "belief" that neither Energy nor God had a Creator and both popped out of nothingness...

Human memories are anatomical changes in the brain and as such are not stored in energy.

could anatomical changes even take place without the memory "inherent knowledge" stored in energy before one's conception?

but anyway since the topic is about Time Travel let's go with your theory that anatomical changes "memory" are not stored in energy...therefore time travel would be an impossibility...because how could one go back to the past if there are no memories of the past stored within the Energy of the present?
 robaustralia
Msg: 239
Posted: 12/5/2014 12:08:32 PM
MSG 329
Memories are stored as molecular changes at the synapses between neurons. Therefore thoughts and memories alter neural circuits hence the brain is anatomically changed. Your brain is constantly adapting to new information. Studies have shown that when children are learning to read their neural circuits change significantly.
Neurologists are now suggesting that elderly people at risk of dementia learn a new language as it livens up the neutrons and may prevent dementia.

MSG 332

It is called the 1st Law of Thermodynamics. It has nothing to do with religious belief.
If you went back in time your brain would create new memories, however you would also have memories of the future. Time travel is theoretically possible, however relativistic speeds need to be achieved. Which is almost considered impossible.
 funchesf
Msg: 240
Posted: 12/5/2014 1:36:18 PM

It is called the 1st Law of Thermodynamics. It has nothing to do with religious belief'

the 1st Law of Thermodynamics applies only to "the Conservation of Energy'" and states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed within an "isolated system or a vacuum", ..to make a claim that the law also apply to everything beyond that vacuum especially since the laws doesn't imply that, is what constitute it as you turning it into a religious belief..

If you went back in time your brain would create new memories,,

you keep reducing it to only brain memories, if you went back in the past then the past must also supply a memory of everything that existed at that point in time, a memory of all the trees, ,cars, wombats and people including all the memories in their brain

so if you believe that time travel is possible then explain " how or where" a record of the past would be kept if energy is not compose of memory

Time travel is theoretically possible, however relativistic speeds need to be achieved. Which is almost considered impossible.

oh oh...trekkie alert
 robaustralia
Msg: 241
Posted: 12/6/2014 12:48:29 PM
The Universe is an isolated system and by definition is everything so as far as we know the conservation of energy law applies everywhere.
Memories of the past are stored in libraries and also passed orally from one generation to another. So where do you think they are stored? Do they ride around the electricity network?

Trekkie alert? Do yourself a favour and familiarise yourself with Relativity.
 funchesf
Msg: 242
Posted: 12/6/2014 2:35:24 PM

The Universe is an isolated system and by definition is everything so as far as we know the conservation of energy law applies everywhere.

well the "1st law of existence" is that nothing can exist unless it is first created ....therefore energy was and/or can be created...

Memories of the past are stored in libraries and also passed orally from one generation to another. So where do you think they are stored?

you yourself stated that time travel was possible if one travels at super speeds....so now according to your post all you have to do is travel real fast to the library and jump in a book and magically you will be transported back in time

if that is not what you meant....then can you be so kind as to explain where "'the past" would be located at to make Time Travel possible?

1.as your post suggested is the past located in libraries?
2.as your post suggested is the past orally passed down from one generation to the next?
3.or as my post suggested is the past possibly stored in the memory of energy?

Do they ride around the electricity network?

BY GEORGE, I THINK HE'S GOT IT ...finally...close but no cigar...but at least you're getting close to the concept I'm trying to get across to you

Trekkie alert? Do yourself a favour and familiarise yourself with Relativity.

whether you mix Matter with Anti-matter or little elves sprinkle faerie dust on you and send you back into the past ...since Time Travel is only theory...then it's all Relativity.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 243
Posted: 12/7/2014 11:36:41 PM

No.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 244
Posted: 12/8/2014 6:19:19 AM

No.

and if it was possible we would already know about it.

if you do not understand that statement, then you do not understand time travel
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 245
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2014 11:30:04 AM
All here should read some earlier parts of this thread.

Answering the thread question requires one to know what time, and time travel, really is. Forget "possible"...time travel into the future already happens. Everyday. All of the time. Time travel into the past requires one of a few things which so far seem to be pretty implausible just from the nature of reality, not any technology to do so.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 246
Posted: 12/8/2014 6:01:17 PM

All here should read some earlier parts of this thread.

Answering the thread question requires one to know what time, and time travel, really is. Forget "possible"...time travel into the future already happens. Everyday. All of the time. Time travel into the past requires one of a few things which so far seem to be pretty implausible just from the nature of reality, not any technology to do so.

Answering the question as to whether time travel is possible does not require anyone to read the earlier parts of the thread.

The statement that time travel already happens, as pertaining to "the normal passage of time" is silly and simply avoids the actual intent of the question.

As for forgetting "possible", sorry, the question is based on whether time travel is possible.

I stand by my simple and correct answer that NO, time travel is not possible.

HFX RGB clearly supported my simple answer.

HFX_RGB Posted: 12/8/2014 719 AM

No.

and if it was possible we would already know about it.

if you do not understand that statement, then you do not understand time travel
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 247
Posted: 12/9/2014 5:19:33 AM

'No, it is not possible to fly to the moon else we would be there already"

Nope you missed the point of the statement.

If time travel existed we would already know about it because we would have already travel back in time and thus the cat would be out of the bag.

Unless in the future we turn out to really be total**** and decide not to do anything about atrocities committed in the past and or give some people a heads up as to bad stuff coming, along with putting to bed the whole sky wizards debate.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 248
Posted: 12/9/2014 6:17:12 AM

It may be the case that all those atrocities in the past HAD to happen in order for you to exist, the further you go back the greater the 'butter fly effect'. Do you think you would have been born if WWII had never happend

Exactly that 'butter fly effect' would be part of our history and we would read about how our future generations screwed stuff up by trying to fix it. (as per human nature)

...Do you think you would have been born if WWII had never happend

Probably not, but not because of one single big event, but trillions upon trillions of small ones related to it.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 249
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2014 8:17:11 AM

The statement that time travel already happens, as pertaining to "the normal passage of time" is silly and simply avoids the actual intent of the question.

I was not referring to the normal passage of time. Again, understanding more about what time, and time travel, really is...would have enabled you to understand my meaning.

I was referring to the fact that the rate of time-passage itself is dependent upon your frame of reference...it's a matter of relativity. Something is always traveling into the future relative to something else...not in the sense that time is always marching forward "normally", but in the sense that would qualify as "time traveling into the future" faster than would be normal and natural. Except that this is the normal and natural way by which it all happens.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 250
Posted: 12/9/2014 2:16:27 PM

Memories are stored as molecular changes at the synapses between neurons.

Should be noted that when I recall a memory I am not recall the memory of that event, but recalling the memory of the memory.

So I do not remember so much of the event, but remember the last time I remembered it, so we are constantly rewriting our memories each time we recall them.

Which is why our memories are really not that accurate, because it is like we are playing the telephone game with ourselves.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Time Travel-Is it possible?