Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Time Travel-Is it possible?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 robaustralia
Msg: 251
Time Travel-Is it possible?Page 11 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
MSG 347

Why don 't you do some research and look up the function of the Hippocampus. The maths doesn't' add up? Do some more research and you might actually learn about the computing power needed to simulate 1 second of human brain activity.

I'm not interested in quantum consciousness, purely because it is pseudo science and it is not backed up with any shred of evidence. No one knows how Human consciousness came to be. One thing for sure is the Universe doesn't give a continental about Human consciousness and long after humans are gone, matter will still undergo quantum
Events.

That is why the whole notion of quantum consciousness and how it is linked to the Universe is a myth.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 252
Time Travel-Is it possible?
Posted: 12/9/2014 3:17:55 PM
K.I.S.S.

The original question asks,

"Time Travel-Is it possible?"

The original poster already answered her question:

"There are too many problems with the concept.
First, photons can not travel faster than the speed of light. This is fact means anything of mass could not be projected forward or backward in time."

Basically, you can't travel faster than light.
The Laws of Physics does not allow it to happen.

andyaa ,
The impossibility of asking Leonardo Da Vinci is silly and irrelevant.
Sure, in the past, we never thought we could go to the moon BUT going to the moon never required the breaking of any Laws of Physics.

Fantasizing about all the "theoretical concepts" is fun and all … but the answer is still NO!

drinkthesunwithmyface,
what you are referring to has nothing to do with the OP's question.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 253
Posted: 12/9/2014 7:02:05 PM
Ok, this has gone beyond me, so I will leave you all with:

http://i.imgur.com/70i90IB.jpg
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 254
Posted: 12/9/2014 7:17:16 PM
To ALL future posters...

This thread has taken off on other tangents.
Feel free to continue with a dead thread.
The question was actually answered in the first post by the Original poster and has been answered a few times already.

The answer is NO.
It is a physical impossibility.

All other contrary opinions are just entertaining "theoretical" ideas.

Time Travel is NOT possible.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 255
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2014 6:49:19 AM

...BUT going to the moon never required the breaking of any Laws of Physics. [versus time travel]

Fantasizing about all the "theoretical concepts" is fun and all...

The idea is to really know the laws of physics. Our understanding of the laws of physics might change. And then we might do something which we previously thought broke the laws of physics, but doesn't really.

Of course, so far, I myself think that backwards time travel is impossible, and would break "laws".

I don't know about 'fantasizing', but musing over and discussing theoretical concepts should not be looked down upon.

drinkthesunwithmyface,

Now that's just odd.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 256
Posted: 12/10/2014 8:38:35 AM

The idea is to really know the laws of physics.

^ This statement suggests that I really don't know the laws of physics and you do?
On the contrary, I believe that stating that Time-Travel is impossible because it breaks the Laws of Physics is sound.

Our understanding of the laws of physics might change. And then we might do something which we previously thought broke the laws of physics, but doesn't really.

Might....
You propose that we "might" do something
based on a feeling that the Law of Physics "might" change?
Is this your idea of really knowing physics?

And after all that guessing you say this?

Of course, so far, I myself think that backwards time travel is impossible, and would break "laws".

Really?
Why would you say that?
After all, you're guessing that an impossibility of time-travel might occur despite the fact that it would break the Law of Physics.
Under what authority....or make that.... just what scientific background/evidence are you pulling from to make such personal opinions? These suggestions would just make for long-winded "personal opinion" debates of "sci-fi" what if scenarios.

I don't know about 'fantasizing', but musing over and discussing theoretical concepts should not be looked down upon.

Don't read emotions into something that doesn't do so.
There's no negativity attached to the use of the word fantasizing. It is an indirect synonym of musing.
Note: "discussing theoretical concepts" < Theoretical does not make it a possibility. And it is not theoretical, as there are no "theoretical" Laws of Physics that prove Time Travel is possible.

drinkthesunwithmyface,

Now that's just odd.

A statement without evidence?
drinkthesunwithmyface,
you are "musing" about a question that the OP already answered and concluded was an impossibility.
Laws of Physics prove Time Travel is impossible.
You, drinkthesunwithmyface, are going off on tangents, musing about the impossibilities that "might" exist.

Sulu,
chart a course to the Musing galaxy, warp factor 9... engage!
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 257
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2014 1:46:58 PM
Talk about misinterpreting, or not following...

The idea is to really know the laws of physics.
This statement suggests that I really don't know the laws of physics and you do?

I was talking about the endeavor of science - is to know the laws of physics. As in...we might think that something would break the laws, but we might find out that we're wrong because we didn't fully understand everything about how nature works.

I don't really feel like unweaving the rest of your jibber jabber. It's getting ridiculous.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 258
Posted: 12/10/2014 4:24:07 PM
Jibber-jabber?
LOL
Is time-travel possible?
NO!
I kept it simple.
YOU decided to jibber-jabber on and on about other matters that YOU weren't clear about to begin with.

K.I.S.S. drinkthesunwithmyface
and realize that science knows that the Law of Physics proves that time-travel is impossible.
But you go blabbing on again about someone who "might think" that something would break the laws ... "might find out they're wrong" ...
drinkthesunwithmyface, you're not talking science....you're "musing" sure, maybe this and maybe that and you know what....the Laws of Physics is pretty logical. Scientific formulas don't have a "might" in them.

You know, I watched Interstellar the other day.
I quite enjoyed that "fantasy sci-fi" movie.

They were actually able to leave the galaxy because WOW!!!! a wormhole magically appeared in our solar system.

So yeah, we "might" be able to hurdle some Laws of Physics IF wormholes exist and we "might" be able to do it IF a wormhole "magically" appears nearby.

LOL
I'm sorry if I mistook your philosophical musing for scientific answers.
Let us return to the ridiculous tangents that this thread has become.
 robaustralia
Msg: 259
Posted: 12/11/2014 2:33:07 AM
MSG 351

Comparing a computer to a human brain which has about 100 billion neurons is like comparing apples and oranges

I don't care if the article you quoted is peer reviewed.Doesn't mean it is true.

So if the scientists you mentioned were discussing whether there are fairies in their gardens, would you believe that there are fairies in their gardens?

MSG 358

So you are saying that the 1st Law of Thermodynamics is not true and I have to prove it is? You don' even understand the mechanics of a black hole. When they suck in energy and matter their mass increases. When they evaporate they give off Hawking radiation. So at no point do they violate the conservation of energy law.

Big deal if satellites or spacecraft unexpectedly sometimes speed up or slow down. There are many possible explanations for that, but one is not that they magically gain energy from nowhere.

I won't even bother with your pseudoscience about magical photons and particles that know you are watching! However I'll give you a hint 'observing' in scientific terms does not always mean a Human observer.
 funchesf
Msg: 260
Posted: 12/11/2014 6:28:04 AM

So you are saying that the 1st Law of Thermodynamics is not true and I have to prove it is?-

first thing you have to understand is that Laws are not "Absolutes" are therefore are not True or Truth, laws only apply in certain situations and not all situations ..in other words "Laws are made to be Broken"

but anyway let's go with your "belief" that the first law of thermodynamics is truth through-out the Universe, for you to prove that to be Truth you first have to prove that the Universe is an isolated system ..but unfortunately so far that is perhaps only belief theory and/or rumor ...because there is no indisputable proof that it is

but if you wish to use "no proof" as Proof that the Universe is an isolated system thereby making the first law of thermodynamics " Absolute Truth" I can perhaps steer you in the right direction

Genesis 1:1
In the beginning God created The Heavens and The Earth as an isolated system
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 261
Posted: 12/11/2014 8:29:52 AM
OK all you musing time-travel experts.... with all your talk that you need proof....... where is your proof that man can travel-time?

Oh wait, it is all theoretical.... unlike the current Laws of Physics that states otherwise.

Leonardo didn't have thew technology to go to the moon BUT he still had the Laws of Physics on his side.

Quantum physics . . . . . . . meh.... sure there are some great theories and we have made some great leaps and bounds in technology.
Star Trek...oh my, they had communicators and WOW look, so do we!
We have come around and invented and made things that only existed in our sci-fi TV shows. WOW!
And that is supposed to open the door to ALL the "musings" we dreamed up?

Gotta love the cup half full gang....keep drinking the Kool-aid.

Anyone have proof that we can time = travel?

Anyone?

Going once...

going twice.....

.... and once again, the thread is dead because there is NO proof that man can travel time.....

. Oh..... but please do carry on and flex your Einsteinian egos.... it's not all boring.... sometimes rather entertaining
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 262
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2014 10:19:43 AM
What the hell is awesomefiftyman talking about??
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 263
Posted: 12/11/2014 10:25:25 AM
Posted By: drinkthesunwithmyface on 12/11/2014 11 : 43 AM
Subject: Time Travel-Is it possible?

Don't fret drinkthesunwithmyface(toodrunktofacethesun),

Logic isn't everyones' cup of tea.
Remember, I'm all just jibber jabber to you.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 264
Posted: 12/11/2014 8:20:46 PM
You have English comprehension problems andyaa.

I stated that we have invented things we had on Sci-fi TV.
Sure the concepts were already in place but we didn't have communicators like Star Trek at the time Star trek was made...but the yes the theories already existed.

Time travel is still impossible.

Where's your blueprint for that Time Travel machine?
Where's your science to show that a human can do it?
Forget theoretical. Seems the theoretical being tossed around here is the big "IF", "might" and "when" we can figure out how to send a human/object with mass through time....... until then

equations don't automatically transcend into reality

awesomefiftyman
Msg: 265
Posted: 12/11/2014 11:31:20 PM
According to Einstein's general theory of relativity,
as an object moves faster,
its mass increases,
while its length contracts.
At the speed of light,
such an object has an infinite mass,
while its length is 0
— an impossibility.

Yeah, kind of makes time travel for humans impossible.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 266
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2014 6:15:56 AM

You can only travel back to the point that you first built the machine.

Really? How's that work? (I probably missed it if it was touched upon in here. (Going back over this particular part might clear some things up for folks.))
 robaustralia
Msg: 267
Posted: 12/12/2014 11:04:37 AM
MSG 367

You are correct.Even an object with mass travelling at 90 percent of light speed would have infinite mass and require infinite energy and we all know that according to the 1st Law of Thermodynamics, that the Energy in the Universe is finite.

Einstein was a party pooper as he proved mathematically the above to be correct.So yes time travel is technologically impossible.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 268
Posted: 12/12/2014 2:43:36 PM
andyaa,

Where is your proof?
You know, your theory that contradicts Einstein's general theory of relativity.

And worm holes?
They don't exist.
Currently wormholes are just physic equations.
We've never discovered any.

If we did discover a worm hole, it's not within reach of humanity.
If a worm hole was within reach…
…anyone trying to pass through the wormhole would die.

Once again,
even though the original poster answered her own question of whether Time Travel-Is it possible?…and stated it wasn't…
and others, myself included…

Humans cannot travel time.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 269
Time-Travel for Humans is IMPOSSIBLE!
Posted: 12/12/2014 4:14:30 PM
And once again....

getting back to the nitty-gritty of this thread.

Time-Travel for Humans is IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!

Wormholes are allowed to exist in the math of "General Relativity"

In reality, they don't exist ….
If they do, they don't exist within reach of humanity to use...
AND If a worm hole was within reach…
anyone trying to pass through the wormhole would die.

Anyone here going to continue to suggest that humans will travel time?

Unless you have proof… like knowing that a worm hole will appear within reach….like in that "Science-Fiction movie Interstellar… you're just typing nonsense.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 270
Posted: 12/12/2014 5:39:53 PM

We all know this, not sure why you keep banging this drum, wormholes don't exist today in the same way space ships didn't exist in Leonardo days, but that doesn't mean they can't exist, which by default means they're not impossible.

^ Really?
andyaa, this area is Science/philosophy not fantasy.

Spaceships are man-made.
Wormholes?
You are suggesting that we will build wormholes?
Give it a rest andyaa.

And you didn't say anything about how humans would survive going into a wormhole.
Keep it real andyaa.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 271
Posted: 12/12/2014 6:10:34 PM
and just where is the nearest kerr black hole andyaa?
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 272
Posted: 12/12/2014 6:17:27 PM
Thanks for the links andyaa.
They support what I have been posting.
That time travel for humans is impossible.
It's OK to be wrong andyaa....it's just silly of you to deny being wrong.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Holes_and_Time_Warps
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_machine
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormhole
A wormhole, officially known as an Einstein–Rosen bridge, is a hypothetical topological feature of spacetime that would fundamentally be a shortcut through spacetime. A wormhole is much like a tunnel with two ends, each in separate points in spacetime.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypothetical
hy·po·thet·i·cal adjective \?hi-p?-'the-ti-k?l\
: involving or based on a suggested idea or theory : involving or based on a hypothesis
: not real : imagined as an example
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 273
Posted: 12/12/2014 8:12:34 PM
You don't know what I've been reading andyaa?

Did you read my post?
Check the links?
The link you gave me is what I read.
And then I read the other links that your link gave me.

Did you read the part about "wormholes" being hypothetical andyaa?
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 274
Posted: 12/12/2014 8:19:29 PM
Keep posting links andyaa.

All you are doing is continuing to prove that I am right and you are wrong.
So you are wasting your time and looking silly.

Do you know that your links continue to call worm holes hypothetical and never observed?
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 275
Posted: 12/12/2014 9:23:36 PM

anything that has never been detected is hypothetical. Doesn't mean it is false or doesn't exist

Doesn't mean it is true or does exist either.

Like I keep repeating, the physics is sound so there should be no reason why in the future a time machine couldn't be built.

Yes andyaa,
I've noticed how you keep repeating that "the physics is sound".
Yet all the links to physics that you've posted for me
states that the physics doesn't support the "imaginary", "hypothetical" concept that humans will travel time.
So this future time machine will just keep making for great movies.

As for knowing what hypothetical means?
I posted the definition more than once.
Did you not read them?
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Time Travel-Is it possible?