Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Time Travel-Is it possible?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 276
Time-Travel for Humans is IMPOSSIBLE!Page 12 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)

Doesn't mean it is true or does exist either..

Correct!

That which is hypothetical is something that is proposed to exist or be true but may not actually exist or be true.

And currently,
all the links you posted andyaa state that humans won't be able to travel time.
Until someone throws out some other mathematical gymnastics that doesn't rely on imaginary wormholes .... it will not happen.

But hey, let's look at what your links stated and maybe you can explain how humans were going to travel time andyaa.

1. Need a worm hole.
2. We haven't found one.
3. If we find one, it's not within our solar system.

So andyaa, how are humans supposed to even reach the imaginary wormhole?
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 277
Time Travel-Is it possible?
Posted: 12/13/2014 10:10:09 AM

how are humans supposed to even reach the imaginary wormhole?

See msg 370

msg 370
Via 2 entangled wormholes.

Put one in a rocket accelerate to 90% speed of light on a 1000 light year round trip. It will arrive back on earth in 1000 years but only 11 will have passed on the rocket therefore the other entangled wormhole.

The wormholes are entangled temporally.

Step into the one 1000 years in the future and you will pop out the one you left behind, +11 years from its construction.

Step into the one left behind on earth and you will pop out the one 1000 years in the future.

You cannot travel back to a point any time before its construction.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Holes_and_Time_Warps

page 504

Your msg 37o does not explain how are humans supposed to even reach the imaginary wormhole.
Why don't you just type your answer instead of posting links that are just wild goose chases?
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 278
Time-Travel for Humans is IMPOSSIBLE!
Posted: 12/14/2014 9:51:26 AM
IgorFrankensteen,

Time travel for humans currently requires the hypothetical worm hole.
We have never observed a worm hole, as it is a mathematically imagined thing.

If we found one, it's not within our solar system.
So we we are still STUCK with the issue of just travelling a distance way out of our reach.... for a long, long, long, long, long ..... .... .... long, long long time.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 279
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2014 6:15:06 AM
This

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Holes_and_Time_Warps

reminds me...

The double slit demonstration stuff and multiversus etc still seems fishy to me. What would you suggest for particularly eloquent books on these things? Not just books on the subjects, but specifically well-communicated works. (Without doing an Alan Alda's Flame Challenge.)
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 280
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2014 9:41:51 AM
Btw -

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/#r/archive/segment/542b402178c90ac92b0001ce?cps=gravity
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 281
Posted: 12/15/2014 2:19:31 PM
LOL
Couldn't write an answer eh?
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 282
Posted: 12/15/2014 4:05:16 PM

However, there is nothing in the physics to say we cannot form any these phenomena artificially, given the right materials and technology.

AND there is nothing in the physics to say we can form any of these (wrong word >phenomena) imagined worm holes artificially, given the right materials and technology.
So far, science uses the word "exotic material" to explain away what the imagined worm hole would be built from.

As for the existing?
You're talking about a black hole that we cannot reach.

I'm not opposed to you enjoying "imagination" andyaa.....

Reality.... humans cannot travel time.
 funchesf
Msg: 283
Posted: 12/23/2014 7:39:21 AM
within the Universe or even on the Earth exist all the resources one might need to create the technology needed to manipulate the laws of physics to make time travel possible in which one would only be limited by their imagination and/or creativity ....or for some.... money

but for the sake of argument let's say one could go back or forward in time and one choose to explore the past, in the past you yourself would represent the Present, your presence in the past would represent the Future which would only mean that your existence at that point in time would be an indication that the past present and future existed as one or not at all which would give rise to the concept that all existence within the Universe and/or under the jurisdiction of the laws of physics is "Predetermine"

under the concept of Predeterminism if you did go back to the past of into the future your presence would be incapable of manipulating the outcome of either and that the most your presence would be able to do is cause a Glitch or a "Happenstance" and after the Glitch took place "What was to be would be again"

this is why all existence under the jurisdiction of laws of physic lack "Free Will" along with the inability to control their destiny unless or until they found a way to cancel out those Laws
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 284
Posted: 12/23/2014 9:17:44 AM

within the Universe or even on the Earth exist all the resources one might need to create the technology needed to manipulate the laws of physics to make time travel possible in which one would only be limited by their imagination and/or creativity ....or for some.... money

Actually, that has already been proven wrong by the great minds of astrophysics.

but for the sake of argument let's say one could go back or forward in time and one choose to explore the past, in the past you yourself would represent the Present, your presence in the past would represent the Future which would only mean that your existence at that point in time would be an indication that the past present and future existed as one or not at all which would give rise to the concept that all existence within the Universe and/or under the jurisdiction of the laws of physics is "Predetermine"

Not quite.
There would be "two of you".
The "you" that was in the past.
And "you" who came from the future.
The past you wouldn't know his future changed.
"You" would return to your time to find that it changed.

under the concept of Predeterminism if you did go back to the past of into the future your presence would be incapable of manipulating the outcome of either and that the most your presence would be able to do is cause a Glitch or a "Happenstance" and after the Glitch took place "What was to be would be again"

If "pre-determinism" existed, what you stated might be true.

this is why all existence under the jurisdiction of laws of physic lack "Free Will" along with the inability to control their destiny unless or until they found a way to cancel out those Laws

Rubbish.
Laws of Physics does not control "Free Will".
The future of anybody's life is NOT predetermined.
Unless the Laws of Physics has already put an apocalyptic asteroid's trajectory into our path.
 funchesf
Msg: 285
Posted: 12/23/2014 3:08:03 PM

Actually, that has already been proven wrong by the great minds of astrophysics.

which great minds are you referring to?...the ones that write for cartoon network?

an astrophysicist can no more disprove time travel than they can disprove that the tooth faerie farted out the Universe

Not quite.
There would be "two of you".

sorry but nope, if you went back to the past there would only be "one of you", if you believe that you met yourself in the past it would be nothing more than a clone due to the fact that each of you would be individuals with two separate minds and therefore two separate persons that might have the same DNA like Twins....

Laws of Physics does not control "Free Will".

then use your "Free Will" to live forever ...but if you can't ..then it should be a wake up call as to how the laws of physics controls your "Will" and "Destiny"

whether it's by accident, old age, suicide, homicide or matrimony in the end it will be the laws of physics that kills you

and that is why Time Travel and Living Forever is possible if one has the ability to manipulate alter or cancel out the laws of physics
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 286
Posted: 12/23/2014 7:24:07 PM
funchesf,

I rather not copy and paste my posts that I started on page 14, so if you think you can counter anything I have posted,
Please feel free to copy/quote anything I wrote that you disagree with and write something that is a logical challenge to it.
 funchesf
Msg: 287
Posted: 12/24/2014 7:59:22 AM

I rather not copy and paste my posts that I started on page 14,

cool..so you're not into torturing us again with them .... Thanks

so if you think you can counter anything I have posted,

I've already done that..you said "NO" time travel is not possible I said "YES" that time travel is possible...all that is left is "MAYBE" time travel is possible

Please feel free to copy/quote anything I wrote

I'm not into torture either ..especially self-torture

that you disagree with and write something that is a logical challenge to it.

a logical challenge to what?.. so far all you have been doing in the forum has been creating a series of posts and threads about how theories are "hy-po-thet i-cal" while amazingly at the same time "presenting your own "hy-po-thet i-cal theories" as to why time travel is impossible which means that all your posts are nothing more than contradictions ..er...hypothetically

all I've presented was an alternative argument, that it is self-evident that the Universe and The Earth contain all the resources needed to create anything and by altering manipulating and/or cancelling out the laws of physics anything imaginable becomes possible ...including "Living Forever" and/or Time Travel
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 288
Posted: 12/24/2014 11:12:35 AM

I rather not copy and paste my posts that I started on page 14,

cool..so you're not into torturing us again with them .... Thanks

Cunning exit strategy to avoid the pain of thinking.
Not surprised that you avoid logical debate.

so if you think you can counter anything I have posted,

I've already done that..you said "NO" time travel is not possible I said "YES" that time travel is possible...all that is left is "MAYBE" time travel is possible

No, you pulled the "Monty Python" 'Argument Clinic' routine.
Funny but that belongs in the humour section.

Please feel free to copy/quote anything I wrote

I'm not into torture either ..especially self-torture

Yes you already mentioned that thinking hurts you.
Or is it 'cognitive dissonance' that that pains you?

that you disagree with and write something that is a logical challenge to it.

a logical challenge to what?.. so far all you have been doing in the forum has been creating a series of posts and threads about how theories are "hy-po-thet i-cal" while amazingly at the same time "presenting your own "hy-po-thet i-cal theories" as to why time travel is impossible which means that all your posts are nothing more than contradictions ..er...hypothetically

all I've presented was an alternative argument, that it is self-evident that the Universe and The Earth contain all the resources needed to create anything and by altering manipulating and/or cancelling out the laws of physics anything imaginable becomes possible ...including "Living Forever" and/or Time Travel

Right and wrong.

Right, worm holes don't exist.
They were imagined and then the math was built to prove that hypothetically they could exist to travel time, if some "exotic material" existed to construct them.
But then their math also proved that humans wouldn't survive a trip through the imaginary worm hole.

Wrong.
I did not present anything of my own.
I just pointed out what others already studied and scientifically hypothesized.... see above paragraph. ^

Your argument is flawed.
Self-evident requires evidence. You produced none and that is why the scientists said "exotic material". < Meaning "we have no idea what it is but hope it exists."
The Universe may contain all the resources but that does not mean that we have the ability.

Keeping it simple.
Explain to me how we will reach this imaginary worm hole, in order for humans to travel time?
 funchesf
Msg: 289
Posted: 12/24/2014 1:36:38 PM

The Universe may contain all the resources but that does not mean that we have the ability.

the thread didn't ask if we have the ability, the thread asked if Time Travel was possible ...and since your post just acknowledged that the Universe may contain all the resources......to then present your argument that Time Travel is impossible would be a....." contradiction"
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 290
Posted: 12/24/2014 1:47:59 PM
Explain to me how we will reach this imaginary worm hole, in order for humans to travel time?
 funchesf
Msg: 291
Posted: 12/24/2014 2:30:08 PM

where in any of my posts did I mention or use the term wormhole? ...

but anyway perhaps a wormhole can be reached by flushing one of those hospital toilets, those things have enough suction to suck you into another dimension ..other than that I have to watch "Dr. Who" to find out

my goal was to get you to acknowledge that Time Travel was possible and that has already been acheived
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 292
Posted: 12/24/2014 3:07:51 PM
LOL
funchesf ,
why not pick a goal for yourself that you can achieve?

Of course YOU haven't mentioned "worm holes" funchesf.
But myself and others did mention it because, so far, it is the only thing that scientists have been able to dream up to have their math give some credibility to it.
You are avoiding it because it was the only feasibly "imagined" way for human to travel time so far that they backed up with math.... but their math still proved that it was impossible for humans to survive the trip through the wormhole.

Feel free to dream something else up and then work the numbers to give a mathematical hypothesis for it.
Maybe you will succeed where all the other scientists have failed so far?

Buuuwahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa!
Ahem, you are too funny funchesf.

has already been acheived

So I understand your want to avoid the imaginary "worm hole" hypothesis lest yee face having to admit that your "beliefs" are wrong.
But entertain us, who has achieved time travel?
 robaustralia
Msg: 293
Posted: 12/24/2014 4:10:26 PM
Time=Motion.

Therefore if Humans were to travel to the past or the future, would mean reversing or speeding up all the matter in the Universe as all the matter in the Universe is in motion. No one has the ability to perform that magical feat.
 funchesf
Msg: 294
Posted: 12/26/2014 8:14:49 AM

posted by "awesomefiftyman" location MSG 402

as I stated before..."your quoted post above"... is you acknowledging that given all the resources Time Travel is a possibility ...

this is why any furtherance of you posting that Time Travel is impossible...is actually you traveling "forward in time" and contradicting yourself....or perhaps contradicting the person you once was
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 295
Posted: 12/26/2014 11:01:57 AM
No.

If it is a possibility, where is your evidence to support the claim?
 funchesf
Msg: 296
Posted: 12/26/2014 2:41:53 PM

If it is a possibility, where is your evidence to support the claim?

when it comes to this forum...my evidence is your post below

need I remind you that you yourself started a thread in this very forum about English Comprehension? ...and now I find myself in a vicarious position in which I must now help you comprehend your own post....is this what Karma is? ...it's almost like getting a belated Christmas Present

but anyway in the post (msg 402)you clearly indicate that if given all the resources Time Travel is a possibility ...

awesomefiftyman...this means that you are now a honorary member of the Dr. Who "Time Lords" POF club

don't you now wish that you can "go back in Time" ...er.."no pun intended"...and rewrite post 402? .....I'll start up "The Tardis" for you
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 297
Posted: 12/26/2014 6:09:42 PM

but anyway in the post (msg 402)you clearly indicate that if given all the resources Time Travel is a possibility ...

Nope.
Open yours eyes.
I did not use the words "is a possibility".

I realize you want to argue the..... inability does not translate into impossibility debate.
Good for you.
Works nicely in a debate but in reality....time travel is still an impossibility for humans.

Just how do you think humans will travel time?
Remember, we humans don't have access to any worm hole.
Spare me the "debating gymnastics" and write me a logical explanation of how humans "will" travel time
that is based in reality with "phenomena" that truly exists.
 robaustralia
Msg: 298
Posted: 12/27/2014 7:31:07 AM

Right, worm holes don't exist

You are making the claim, so the Burden of Proof is all yours.

It is totally irrelevant whether a wormhole may or not be a vehicle for time travel. I need your proof that they don't exist.

This doesn't count.

Wormholes don't exist.
Wormholes don't exist.
Wormholes don't exist.
Wormholes don't exist.
Wormholes don't exist.
Wormholes don't exist.
 funchesf
Msg: 299
Posted: 12/27/2014 8:00:04 AM

I did not use the words "is a possibility".

but you did use the words "The universe may contain all the resources" and that is you acknowledging possibility ...

perhaps you should take the time and go read your thread on English Comprehension, it's like you were writing an Autobiography, in case you can't "Englishly Comprehend" what I'm referring to here's the link to your thread
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16313533.aspx

it's simply no way you can post your way out of what you posted in MSG 402

if you're going to try and run with the big dogs...at least take responsibility for what you post especially so we won't have to hold anymore English Comprehension 101 classes
 bamagrl68
Msg: 300
Posted: 4/12/2015 4:31:55 PM
funchesf- I found this article, interesting reading, I'm curious what you think.
The concept of time travel isn't new, humans are curious, after all.
Really, this article presents a great argument for why it can't happen.
(And then there are the paradoxes.)
Give it a read:
THE GIST

— Hong Kong physicists say they have proven a single photon cannot travel faster than the speed of light.

— This demonstrates that time travel is impossible, they say.

Hong Kong physicists say they have proved that a single photon obeys Einstein's theory that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light — demonstrating that outside science fiction, time travel is impossible.

The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology research team led by Du Shengwang said they had proved that a single photon, or unit of light, "obeys the traffic law of the universe."

"Einstein claimed that the speed of light was the traffic law of the universe or in simple language, nothing can travel faster than light," the university said on its website.

NEWS: Warp Drive Engine Would Travel Faster Than Light

"Professor Du's study demonstrates that a single photon, the fundamental quanta of light, also obeys the traffic law of the universe just like classical EM (electromagnetic) waves."

The possibility of time travel was raised 10 years ago when scientists discovered superluminal — or faster-than-light — propagation of optical pulses in some specific medium, the team said.

It was later found to be a visual effect, but researchers thought it might still be possible for a single photon to exceed light speed.

Du, however, believed Einstein was right and determined to end the debate by measuring the ultimate speed of a single photon, which had not been done before.

"The study, which showed that single photons also obey the speed limit c, confirms Einstein's causality; that is, an effect cannot occur before its cause," the university said.

"By showing that single photons cannot travel faster than the speed of light, our results bring a closure to the debate on the true speed of information carried by a single photon," said Du, assistant professor of physics.

"Our findings will also likely have potential applications by giving scientists a better picture on the transmission of quantum information."

The team's study was published in the U.S. peer-reviewed scientific journal Physical Review Letters.
DISCOVERYnewsletter

Recommended for you
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Time Travel-Is it possible?