Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Time Travel-Is it possible?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 funchesf
Msg: 301
Time-Travel for Humans is IMPOSSIBLE!Page 13 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)

bamagrl68
funchesf- I found this article, interesting reading, I'm curious what you think.
The concept of time travel isn't new, humans are curious, after all.
Really, this article presents a great argument for why it can't happen.
(And then there are the paradoxes.)
Give it a read:
THE GIST

sure ...my pleasure to do so

— Hong Kong physicists say they have proven a single photon cannot travel faster than the speed of light.

— This demonstrates that time travel is impossible, they say.

Hong Kong physicists say they have proved that a single photon obeys Einstein's theory that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light —

my contention was that The Universe "including light" is under the jurisdiction of the laws of physics, and that these laws are not absolute and therefore exist to be broken and by altering manipulating or cancelling out those laws anything becomes possible including exceeding beyond the speed of light , living forever, Time Travel, believing everything on Fox News etc.etc.

demonstrating that outside science fiction, time travel is impossible.

my argument was that one did not have to exceed the speed of light in order to engage in Time Travel, that Time didn't exist as Truth but as a way the conscious mind use to perceive and measure reality which means that the Past Present and Future exist as one within a cosmic mesh that we refer to as "The Fabric of the Universe" and within this Fabric exist a memory of the past in complete detail (imagine a hard drive)

"The study, which showed that single photons also obey the speed limit c, confirms Einstein's causality; that is, an effect cannot occur before its cause," the university said.

Einstein's Causality is something that I don't entirely disagree with, I posted earlier that if one did go back into the past that they would be incapable of changing the future, that the most one would be about to accomplish is to cause a gnitch in time which would instantly reset itself,.... that one couldn't come from the future to change the past because the past is "Predetermine" and cannot be changed to effect the future
 bamagrl68
Msg: 302
Time-Travel for Humans is IMPOSSIBLE!
Posted: 4/13/2015 9:59:45 PM
funchesf- I don't know how you would travel in time WITHOUT exceeding the speed of light.
Actually, small amounts of time (seconds) has been successfully done, but that is not relative to THIS discussion since we are talking about actually sending a person forward or back.
Even with the success of small amounts of time, it was only accomplished by going faster than the speed of light.
As far as I know, nothing has ever been sent forward or back.
Are you familiar with the Philadelphia experiment?
Some people think it proves time travel has happened.
That is almost it's own thread, but I'm a skeptic.
As far as the concept of time as related to actual time travel, I absolutely believe time exists and can be measured, but you aren't the only one who disagrees.
It's an interesting debate, for sure.
Your last remarks, about the past being predetermined and therefore fixed, that I agree with.
I actually had a discussion about this with my son and one of his friends just this past weekend, a point my sons friend made also agreed with us (about traveling to the past).
It was a "wow" moment, I didn't understand any of this at 15! Smart kids :)
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 303
Posted: 4/14/2015 1:06:25 AM
- I don't know how you would travel in time WITHOUT exceeding the speed of light.
----------------------------------------------------------

That only holds for globally hyperbolic spacetimes. Look up the godel metric. It describes a rotating universe with closed timelike curves. The godel metric doesn't describe our universe, but it was the first example of a solution to Einstein's equations that allow travel backward in time. The kerr metric also allows closed timelike curves. It describes a rotating blackhole and those apparently do exist. That leaves the question of time travel open at this time.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 304
Posted: 4/14/2015 6:11:16 AM

If time travel was possible, we would already know about it.

If you do not understand that statement, then you do not understand time travel.
 funchesf
Msg: 305
Posted: 5/3/2015 8:48:36 AM

HFX_RGB
If time travel was possible, we would already know about it.

did you check your Facebook notifications?

bamagrl68
funchesf- I don't know how you would travel in time WITHOUT exceeding the speed of light.

because why does Light Speed have a limit? wouldn't that suggest that the Universe either exist in a vacuum or that there are forces greater than light and by either relaxing or cancelling out these forces that Light Speed would excel

perhaps exceeding the speed of light is just what science-fiction used to give a somewhat plausible explanation as to how time travel could be achieved

let's say one could exceed light speed, how would that get one to the past or future...would it create a warp, or a time portal, any scenario would give rise to the concept of "Predeterminism"..that in order to reach the past or future, that the past and future therefore must exist somewhere in the present and therefore the past present and future exist as one and therefore one would not have to exceed light speed to reach either

but for the sake of argument if Time Travel requires that one have the ability to exceed the speed of light ...then wouldn't one's own "thoughts" have that capability

this is why some will argue the point that the Universe exist as a playground with all the resources in which it is possible to use "thought" to create anything "unimaginable" in which you exist as God

in other words

anything that ever was or ever will be, exist right now, at this exact moment, at this exact point in time in the subconscious ...... funches 3:16
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 306
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2015 9:59:31 AM
^ That has been bouncing around in my head for a while during this thread - I don't see the reaching or exceeding light-speed as having anything to do with traveling in time. Discounting, though, the fact that we're always traveling to the future already (and I mean relatively, not just because the present is always becoming a new present), and only speaking of what we usually think of when talking of time-travel science-fiction-style. Approaching or exceeding light-speed would simply reduce or neutralize the passage of your own time relative to all other systems or frames, but it wouldn't be causing you to travel through time - except, again, that it would effectively take you forward to the future faster but only by increasing the effect of what's already always happening.

Time is subjective to a given frame of reference, and relative in this way. There is no "time" that is common to all. Every given system or frame of reference has it's own time, and defines it's own time, for it and it alone. The only kind of time-measurement that might be common to all would be if we used some aspect of motion at the largest possible scale of the whole universe. And that would only be us using that as our time-measurement, but nothing else. Unless things at the other end of the scale, some aspect of motion of subatomic particles for example, remained consistent and unaffected despite relative motion between systems or frames of reference.

But so, in summary, going really really fast, at light-speed or beyond, only enhances a relative future-traveling which is already always happening, but wouldn't do anything else and isn't otherwise relevant to what any kind of time-travel would be. Or so it seems to me.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 307
Posted: 5/3/2015 3:08:14 PM
drinkthesunwithmyface- I found this article, which has information, we (you, me, funchesf) got some things right.
http://www.businessinsider.com/what-can-travel-faster-than-the-speed-of-light-2015-2
It backs up what I said, that the speed of light can/has been achieved, but not by anything that has mass.
Turns out you and funchesf are also correct that the only likely possibility for time travel would be worm holes and even then, only to the future.
But then there is the BIG issue, how would you stabilize a worm hole?
Read the article, fascinating stuff.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 308
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2015 7:23:56 PM
That article is saying that light slows down in water, but I thought that light appears to bend in glass and water only because it's having to travel a longer distance, but it never slows down. I'm also confused by the idea that space can expand faster than the speed of light because space has no mass, because space is only the distance between objects, which by definition have mass, and they themselves would have to be moving at the applicable relative speed for space to expand. Or else this is more that's just over my head...there seem to be some things about space and quantum physics that I don't know enough about.
 gingerosity
Msg: 309
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2015 1:33:00 AM
^^^ You're getting confused between doppler shift and cosmological redshift. In cosmological redshift, the reference frame itself is expanding.

1;40;00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eogyiTErS_U
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 310
Posted: 5/4/2015 1:42:02 AM
Approaching or exceeding light-speed would simply reduce or neutralize the passage of your own time relative to all other systems or frames, but it wouldn't be causing you to travel through time - except, again, that it would effectively take you forward to the future faster but only by increasing the effect of what's already always happening.
--------------------------------

The above really makes no sense whatsoever. You cannot give something a velocity without relating it to a frame of reference. In any case, to understand any of this requires understanding the difference between a spacelike interval, a lightlike (or null interval in modern terminology) and a timelike interval. Events which are separated by timelike or null intervals can be causally connected. Events separated by spacelike intervals cannot be causally related because spacelike separated events have no intrinsic time ordering.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 311
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2015 4:00:58 PM

The above really makes no sense whatsoever.

Well that sucks.

Ok so...spacelike interval, lightlike and timelike interval, Doppler shift versus cosmological redshift...gonna go try and teach myself what this stuff is...still trying to get some linear analogue something or other at the planck or quantum level that andyaa spoke of a while back.

Gosh darn it all. Why's it gotta be so complicated. Derned ole whipperschnappers over yonder.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 312
Posted: 5/4/2015 6:17:11 PM
drinkthesunwithmyface- I'm not a genius, not even close.
When I don't understand something, I HAVE to understand it, that is my nature.
So I read and I research and I read some more.
I found this............
http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2012/07/26/empty-space-has-more-energy-than-everything-in-the-universe-combined/
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 313
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2015 5:37:50 PM
Oh thank god - now that you're here...I think that you once mentioned a book that was comprehensive and explained these things for people like me, and I just can't find what I wrote down nor where the post was. Can you re-recommend?

So the math implies negative time?? What does that mean? I didn't think that you could technically arrive anywhere at an earlier point in time no matter what else you do...but maybe you are talking about a phenomenon for the traveler that's a different matter from what time it is in the rest of the universe (?).

I've always been excited to know what we find out from the higgs boson and higgs field, because I've entertained the notion that understanding gravity a lot better, or at least other things that we didn't know about which we learn along the way of trying to understand gravity which reveal that it's not even a matter of gravity in the simple way that we might have previously thought, would be key to our next major advancements.

But anyway it really sucks for me, because I've developed a kind of "condition" or "disorder"...I used to read so much all of the time about so many things, it being a regular thing for me to come out of the public library with a stack of books as long as my arm on a certain subject, for maybe a decade and a half...so that a few years ago I found that the very act of looking at a printed page for very long literally hurts me physically almost. It's like I just can't do it anymore, for physiological reasons. (The same would go for any electronic tablet, and reading short casual bits in places like the pof forums don't count.) So it's so hard for me to do any of that anymore. It's really weird. And it sucks. (bamagirl - I could almost get through the link you gave. Thanks btw.)

But, direct me to a book or two again just in case? (Oh and gingerosity I think you suggested something too...what was it?)
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 314
Posted: 5/5/2015 11:17:56 PM
Books which are very good include (increasing order of difficulty);
Black Holes and Time Warps - By Thorne - very easy to read, good physical intuition
Spacetime Physics by Taylor. - Introductory Level
A First Course in General Relativity by Schutz - upper level graduate/intro level grad student, not much math is assumed beyond a little calculus
Gravitation by Misner, Thorne and Wheeler. - Intro level graduate student, one zillion pages
General Relativity by Wald - somewhat advanced graduate level

Any decent book on differential geometry
 gingerosity
Msg: 315
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2015 4:35:41 AM

A good book on this subject is Black holes and Timewarps, Einstein's Outrageous Legacy by Kip Thorne.

What would you suggest for particularly eloquent books on these things?

The link in msg 370, a book by Kip Thorne is you're best bet, he's your leading authority on wormhole research.

I think that you once mentioned a book that was comprehensive and explained these things for people like me, and I just can't find what I wrote down nor where the post was. Can you re-recommend?

Black Holes and Time Warps - By Thorne - very easy to read, good physical intuition

I really can't remember which book you were referring to...

funchesf
Msg: 316
Posted: 5/12/2015 6:59:31 AM

bamagrl68
Some people think it proves time travel has happened.
That is almost it's own thread, but I'm a skeptic.

the Philadelphia experiment could be used as an example of how time travel is possible without exceeding the speed of light, but then again "String Theorists" might argue that the type of field generated during the experiment caused everything within that field to vibrate at the speed of light

bamagrl68
As far as the concept of time as related to actual time travel, I absolutely believe time exists and can be measured, but you aren't the only one who disagrees.

it depends on which theories you're willing to add to the equation, for example, if you're into Black Hole theory, supposedly around and within a Black Hole light slows down and is even pulled backwards, ....therefore if Time is truly relative to light speed this would give rise to the belief that a Black Hole offers a way to travel through time...but wouldn't it also means that "Time" within a Black Hole would not be in sync with the rest of the Universe...and therefore Time is not a Constant and certainly does not exist as a Constant throughout the Universe

that is the reason why I stated that Time doesn't actually exist but is only used as a mental tool to measure a given reality, in other words if someone wish to measure or explain the happenstances within a Black Hole they would use the concept of "Time and Numbers" as a tool to possibly do so

bamagrl68
Your last remarks, about the past being predetermined and therefore fixed, that I agree with.
I actually had a discussion about this with my son and one of his friends just this past weekend, a point my sons friend made also agreed with us (about traveling to the past).
It was a "wow" moment, I didn't understand any of this at 15! Smart kids :)

that's because they have not been assimilated, resistance is not futile, they are not Borg

unlike them our generation was bombarded with the concept that only way that Time Travel could be achieved is by exceeding the speed of light, the most widely acceptable explanation among "laypersons" was when Superman flew around the world at super speed and as he did so, the rotation of the Earth would start slowing down, then the Earth for a brief moment would completely stop and start rotating in reverse and amazingly Superman would be in the past or "vice versa" the future

some kids would say wow cool effect now let's move on with the story, but some kids would ask themselves, if he can travel to the past or future, wouldn't this means that both past and future exist somewhere in the present ...and this would steer them to the concept of Predeterminism
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 317
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2015 4:28:06 PM
Ok so, me getting back to a couple things...

Without having read-up on these things and at the risk of only getting a technical "see, like this" which is over my head, I don't see time-travel as possible simply because of what I think that time is and isn't. That is, some time in the past no longer exists, for example. To travel there, it would have to be there, but I can't imagine there being any "there". It was only here, but matter and energy was in a different state and configuration. It has since changed. Moreover, when presenting time as a literal dimension such that all points in time simultaneously exist, doesn't seem to jive.

Traveling into the future...I have different feelings about. When you go really-really fast, you effectively go into the future - increasing your time dilation difference, which already happens though anyway to an unnoticeable degree. That's why I don't think of that as really time traveling, which is why I otherwise don't see how needing light speed is relevant to time travel. That's part of what I meant when someone said that I made no sense. Arg!

Note: When talking about what time is, that it is or isn't a natural phenomenon, that it disappears or takes on a new meaning at the quantum level - I want to clarify what I and maybe some others really mean when trying to define time. When I explain or define time the way that I've done in the past, I'm not necessarily saying that that's what time is absolutely, or that it is real or isn't real. What I'm saying is that this is what we're thinking about; this is a thing that happens per our perceptions and experience, and we're simply giving it a name, which is Time. And I figure that remembering this approach is what would help when getting into the quantum world - that time isn't really doing anything weird at all at that level, because it was only a description of a feature of our perception and experience in the macro world anyway, that's all, and when things work in a whole different way in the micro, then we can't expect to observe things there that we see here, on top of the fact that we're built to operate in the macro world and so it'll be like looking into another fantastic hallucinogenic dimension or parallel universe which has completely different physics than how we're built here.

Now, if someone tells me that none of this makes any sense, I'm going to go break something and cry.
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 318
Posted: 5/12/2015 5:15:00 PM
Without having read-up on these things and at the risk of only getting a technical "see, like this" which is over my head, I don't see time-travel as possible simply because of what I think that time is and isn't. That is, some time in the past no longer exists, for example.
----------------------------------
Nature does not have to agree with human perception or common sense. Quantum mechanics, for example, made no sensevto physicists who were classically trained, but the fact that it's predictions have always proven correct required people to think differently.

-----------------------------
Traveling into the future...I have different feelings about. When you go really-really fast, you effectively go into the future - increasing your time dilation difference, which already happens though anyway to an unnoticeable degree.
--------------------------
What does it mean to "go really fast?? That concept is meaningless without specifying what your velocity is relative to.

-------------------------
Now, if someone tells me that none of this makes any sense, I'm going to go break something and cry.
-----------------------
It doesn't because of some basic conceptual problems. Buying Spacetime Physics by Taylor and Wheeler, and working through it should fix that. If you understand the pythagorean theorem, you can understand relativity. Relativity is just the pythagorean theorem in 4 dimensions with the sign changed in one of the dimensions, i.e.,
d^2 = x^ + y ^2 + z^2 - t^2
 bamagrl68
Msg: 319
Posted: 5/12/2015 5:25:36 PM
drinkthesunwithmyace- You have actually done a great job of imagining different perceptions of time as relative to the object and at what speed it travels.
Time is real, and measured, but not all the same..............
Start by looking up time dilation, this term explains how two different measurements of time can EACH be correct, depending upon the object and how fast it is traveling.
Einstein has TWO theory's of relativity.
According to the special theory, the faster an object moves relative to another object, the slower it experiences time.
For example: GPS satellites going around the earth at nearly 9,000 MPH, this effect cuts seven microseconds off their clocks daily (relative to earth).
The GPS time and earth time are different, but each are correct as relative to their their speed when compared to another object, so what you are saying, is VERY close to accurate.
@funchesf- As our knowledge grows, we will only discover new things by daring to challenge the status quo and saying, what if? Or, let's try this. It is only by testing the bounds of what is known that all things that were once unheard of or thought of as impossible are now proven to be fact (and so on it goes, as with all discovery) :)
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 320
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2015 6:18:25 PM
bamagirl - I know all that. It has been part of what I've expressed previously on this subject. Which btw is why I don't understand why someone says to me something like "What does it mean to "go really fast?? That concept is meaningless without specifying what your velocity is relative to", for example. What you're talking about is just what I was talking about when malefeasance said that it didn't make any sense. I mean, to an extent I just got finished saying what you're now informing me of like I don't know that basic stuff ; /

I think that I only don't make sense because of what I don't know. But that other stuff I do know.
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 321
Posted: 5/14/2015 5:50:43 AM
I have located a compendium of topics on relativity which should be of interest. It offers good physical insight with not much math:

http://www.mathpages.com/rr/rrtoc.htm
 Kissfromarose77
Msg: 322
Posted: 5/15/2015 6:20:54 AM
I've heard of the theory that gravity may been space and time into an endless arc. But I don't don't understand the concept of being able to travel to the future if the future doesn't even exist yet. Unless it exists in an dimension or another plane of being.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 323
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2015 6:43:46 AM
^ Well, we just need to understand what "traveling into the future" really means. From what I understand, this is what would apply - If you could somehow travel really fast, like in a hypothetical spaceship close to light-speed (relative to a "stationary observer", malefeasance, der.) then what's really happening is your "time", aboard your ship and for your body etc, moves slower compared to that stationary observer, whose "time" moves faster, compared to yours. Time is really about relative frames of reference...if I'm using the terminology correctly. So, in your light-speed ship, you have "time-traveled" into the future: Something which already happens, but you increased the effect and made it more noticeable, such that you may think that it's 2015, but it is 2020 for the rest of the universe. The future "didn't exist yet", but that's not what's happening or relevant to what's happening anyway.

Now, going into the past is completely different. Very different. That is a case where the past really would have to "still exist", in order for you to go there. Talking about time-traveling into the future, and into the past, are not similar just because they're both about "time-traveling"...it's like a difference between flying a plane though the air, and painting a wall in your house. Wholly different. One can get confused when talking about time travel if going into the future and into the past are thought of as the same subject.

Of course, this is just according to my understanding, which is probably incomplete or inaccurate in some way(s).
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 324
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2015 4:32:30 PM
Oh and by the way, thought I'd go ahead and add this too -

Bamagrl68:

...time dilation...two different measurements of time can EACH be correct, depending upon the object and how fast it is traveling...the faster an object moves relative to another object, the slower it experiences time...The GPS time and earth time are different, but each are correct as relative to their speed when compared to another object

For about, maybe 3 years or so in here, while I've been trying to discuss "time" and attempt to define it (or rather, clarify what many of us are thinking about which we just call "time"), I would explain exactly this dynamic...and for some reason most people (whom I had the impression were at least a little big knowledgeable on the subject) called me a crackpot crack-smoker and they were so confused as to what I meant -

The approximate way that I'd word it is that any given system has it's own time. You can only measure or know what that time is by comparing to another system, but each has it's own time. That time is meaningless otherwise, concerning some idea of a universal "what time is it". That each given system's time is not indicating any kind of time for anything else but itself. We can use anything in order to create some time-organization for ourselves, but that's all that is, and otherwise that given system's time is nothing more than it's own...

...So what's it mean that time can run at different rates for different systems relative to each other? How does something's "time" run slower or faster? What is it anyway that is running at a certain rate? How I answered this was that everything is always "happening". There are always "events". An incense stick used as a clock burning...the burning is an event. A clock's hands ticking around is an event. The actions which are being monitored in an atomic clock are an event. And all events boil down to energy transformation. Energy is constantly transforming in order for anything to ever "happen". So now...to speak of "time"...time is the RATE of energy transformation. (Or one could say the rate of one given system compared to another, depending on what we're trying to talk about).

And I figure that time dilation can just be thought of as a "quirk" due to the nature of how everything works and is put together - when one given system is in some motion at some velocity that is different than another given system...That speed difference between the systems has an effect on how the speed of energy transformation WITHIN each system compares...kind of bends it and messes with it.

Once IgorFrankensteen said he didn't understand how using his flashlight often made the time of his batteries go faster because the batteries ran out faster...and I just tried to say that it's because we're used to adding more to what we think time is - time IS simply that battery usage rate, FOR THE BATTERIES AND THEM ALONE. Time isn't anything else otherwise. The time for the batteries ran fast. But only the batteries will know. We wouldn't experience it, only the batteries would, and even then the batteries would have to be sentient and make the comparison with something else in order to even know a difference -

- but that part, the batteries, is the part where I might be wrong, and where it starts to sound a bit wacky. The batteries aren't in some motion at some speed different than another system, but is that the only applicable incidence when speaking of what time is?

P.S. - I understand very well that the mystery and lesson of quantum physics and more recent scientific models really changes much of what I've said here...but this is all only to explain what we're experiencing or believe that we're perceiving which we're in the habit of calling "time" in our realm.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 325
Posted: 5/26/2015 6:25:53 PM
@kiss

But I don't don't understand the concept of being able to travel to the future if the future doesn't even exist yet.

You can't understand it because the notion of traveling to a point in time that has yet to exist is an absurdity. Time dilation is not true time travel.

Unless it exists in an dimension or another plane of being.

Backward time travel pre-supposes that the past still exists. If it does, it would have to exist in a wholly different dimension(s); thus we'd first have to talk about traveling to other dimensions (which is in the realm of Sci-Fi per se). The mental masturbators will unfold their math equations and say that there is nothing preventing time travel(as though they know what the past/future is comprised of and how it can be accessed/located).
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Time Travel-Is it possible?