Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Time Travel-Is it possible?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Baalratn
Msg: 351
Time-Travel for Humans is IMPOSSIBLE!Page 16 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Traveling back in time is the easy part, it's remembering the future that's difficult.
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 352
Time-Travel for Humans is IMPOSSIBLE!
Posted: 6/2/2015 12:45:38 AM
I think the burden of proof lies squarely upon those who say they do exist
---------------------
A straw man, since no one has claimed that either. Apparently you don't grasp the idea that an open question is one that has not been answered and that claims either way require more than your uninformed opinion. The only known restrictions on closed timelike curves are also known, through experiment, to be violated.

--------------------
Men do not "write" the laws of physics, they discover them and then they describe them usually using mathematical formulae.
-------------------
No shit sherlock.

------------------------
Galileo did not write the law of gravity, he described it by his experimentation.
-------------------------
He didn't describe a law of gravity. Newton did that.

-----------------------------------
Bear in mind that recalling the past, or recording the past is not the same as actually storing the past.
If you believe that the U can store the past, then you will have come up with the proofs!
------------------------------------
That was done long ago. Quantum mechanics is unitary, meaning (among other things), that information cannot be destroyed.
 funchesf
Msg: 353
Posted: 6/2/2015 4:35:16 PM

yule_liquor
Men do not "write" the laws of physics,

someone is writing the laws of physics.....either Man, God or Leprechauns ..take your pick

my pick is Man...and that Men "write/wrote" laws with the intent of explaining a "given reality" within The Universe... Man called them laws or "theories" because they are not "absolutes" ......which is why laws and theories can be disputed and broken even shown to be untrue or unreliable.

yule_liquor
I didn't say outright that the "universe" is incapable of recording & storing the past in some way;

if you can't say it outright...then that is why Time Travel is possible ...

yule_liquor
Bear in mind that recalling the past, or recording the past is not the same as actually storing the past.

sorry but they are all the same...and they all operate on the same principle.....they are called "files"

yule_liquor
If you believe that the U can store the past, then you will have come up with the proofs!

sure no problem ...go to this link... https://www.youtube.com/ ...you will see Suns, Moons, Stars, Bruce Lee, etc.

I'm sure a Nobel prize will be guaranteed

I rather have some ice cold brews

Don't forget to invite us to your bash.

of course...there's always room for Jello and friends
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 354
Posted: 6/2/2015 4:48:00 PM
^

since no one has claimed that either.

no one has claimed that CTCs exist! But then you say:

The only known restrictions on closed timelike curves are also known,

you sound a bit confused!

He didn't describe a law of gravity.

He described some of its properties; which led up to what Newton did; and either way, it doesn't change my point!

Quantum mechanics is unitary, meaning (among other things), that information cannot be destroyed.

The past itself cannot be regarded as "information", nobody (that I heard of) knows what it is or where it goes;
unless of course you can show indisputable proof from credible sources.
Please remember that your anus does not count as a credible source.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 355
Posted: 6/2/2015 5:36:19 PM
@fun

Man called them laws or "theories" because they are not "absolutes" ......which is why laws and theories can be disputed and broken even shown to be untrue or unreliable.

A theory is a TESTABLE hypothesis
So you need to put a theory to the test to see if it holds water
If it doesn't then you toss it out and go back to the drawing board. If your theory is broken or can't be realized then its just a false hypothesis (it was never true to begin with). Relativity was a theory until it was put to the test, and since it shown to be true, it is no longer a theory but it is now regarded as fact! So if you wanna show that time travel is possible, then formulate us a theory and put it to the test.

if you can't say it outright...then that is why Time Travel is possible

It is one thing to say that the U can store the past, and it is a whole different thing to say you can travel back to it.
Who knows, the U might be able to store the past in some way, but we may not have any way of knowing it.
But regardless, the U will never allow you to do want it doesn't want you to do.

sorry but they are all the same...and they all operate on the same principle.....they are called "files"

from what I know, files consist of "information". You first have to show that the past is actual information. I don't think anyone has backed this claim.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 356
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2015 6:59:09 PM
For pete's sake. How easily we lose the conversation.

- Laws were made to be broken, or can't be broken...Our understanding of the laws of nature at any given time are simply our understanding of them. If a law is broken, it simply means that we didn't know everything and misunderstood the "law" in some way, therefore we "wrote" it wrong. But what we wrote is simply what we wrote, according to our current understanding of reality. Reality's laws are whatever they are, separate from whether or not we fully know them. And laws are not intrinsically made for the purpose of being broken.

- Though a theory or law is recognized to be at risk of being wrong or incomplete in some way, which any real scientist understands...within the realm of formal and real science, whenever something is deemed to be a law or theory it has been deservedly given the highest status possible concerning it's reliability of accuracy and probability of being true or correct. Ideas arrive at the station of theory or law through means which are more responsible, in more ways, than by any other avenue or method.

- To say that something is impossible, is to say that you KNOW everything about it, for absolutely sure, and so are able to say either way. To say that something is possible, means that you don't know for sure either way. If we don't absolutely know for sure that time travel is impossible, then we must say that it is possible, and that's all that it would mean if saying that it's possible. "It's possible" ONLY means that we don't know for sure. (We may know that it isn't possible, but I'm not aware of this personally.)

- A photograph is not the past, let alone a storage of. It is simply some information that has carried forward and remains in the present. To whatever extent that it is a record of something, it is only because we can interpret what meaning it holds for us as humans. A crater in the ground is not the past, and doesn't mean that the past exists. It is the remaining result of a past event. It is information which has carried forward. Your DNA does not imply that the past exists such that we can travel to a previous point in time. It is information which has carried forward into the present.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 357
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2015 10:22:49 PM
Sometimes we're wrong, and sometimes we're right... And sure as the day, slips into the night... It's neither black, nor is it white, And that is time as we now know it.

Because our "now"is said to be our present, and as soon as I wrote that, it became the past. ... I need to write swiftly, because the future is coming fast.... We all gotta grab a piece of something, that we think is gonna last... [Bob Seger??]

Because time does'nt last forever.... And neither do we.
 funchesf
Msg: 358
Posted: 6/3/2015 6:10:03 AM

yule_liquor
It is one thing to say that the U can store the past, and it is a whole different thing to say you can travel back to it.

since the past is stored in files...you wouldn't have to travel...you simply have to access it ...just like you would do on your computer ...download the app

drinkthesunwithmyface
For pete's sake. How easily we lose the conversation.

How? ..because we're no longer talking about the usual stuff associated with Time Travel like flying around the world at the speed of light or being ripped apart in a black hole or presenting all type of crazy mathematical calculations ...

the thread simply asked if Time Travel was possible and I've presented a simply logical way of how it can be achieved by accessing the memory of the Universe

drinkthesunwithmyface
A photograph is not the past, let alone a storage of. It is simply some information that has carried forward and remains in the present.

I've counted at least "four" contradictions in that one statement
 bamagrl68
Msg: 359
Posted: 6/8/2015 4:37:48 PM
funchef- "Who are you going to help or ignore, either way you become God".
That is profound.
I'm not sure I believe in God, but I get your point.
My first instinct was to deny this statement, surely there's some way to go WAY back and change things, fundamentally.
However, upon thinking it over, the only way would be to alter human behavior and to even attempt it would mean you have to think you are always right and know it all, which of course no one does.
You almost made me go into some type of brain default, thinking and rethinking this, but I love a good challenge and anyone who makes me think. :)
 funchesf
Msg: 360
Posted: 7/1/2015 8:09:16 AM

Augen_Blick
I can only imagine picking a flower in my dream and having it in my hand when I awaken would be pretty amazing.

the flower exist as a 3D file within your subconscious you just have to displace that energy or 3D memory file to an outside source ....

in dreams nightmares are reality ...funches 3:16

Augen_Blick
Go Go you scientists go!! thats one reason to pay your taxes, even if it's not me that awakens to it. It sure would be a privelage to see it happen in my life time.

science attempt to compensate that which our conscious have yet trained our subconscious to accomplish

bamagrl68
I'm not sure I believe in God, but I get your point.

any entity that can cancel out the laws of physics is in a sense God, technology is on the verge of making Man God

A.I. shall become I AM .....funches 3:16

bamagrl68
My first instinct was to deny this statement, surely there's some way to go WAY back and change things, fundamentally.

you probably could but in doing so the outcome could either be disastrous or sad, your journey to the past or future may result in the creation of a splinter reality or two separate streams of the same reality ,

in the reality you time travelled to it's possible for you to change events,... but in the reality that you originally Time Travelled from nothing would have changed up to the point in time that you left, after that point in time you would disappeared and no longer exist there, your friends and family would consider you as a missing person and there may no way to re enter that stream of reality you originated from

bamagrl68
However, upon thinking it over, the only way would be to alter human behavior and to even attempt it would mean you have to think you are always right and know it all, which of course no one does.

it may be as simple as changing their diet or removing a substance from the food water or atmosphere, it was rumoured that due to ergot poisoning was the reason "or excuse" why people were accusing others of being Witches and hanging them

bamagrl68
You almost made me go into some type of brain default, thinking and rethinking this,

the sign of a good debate is when you force others to think or question their Faith

bamagrl68
but I love a good challenge and anyone who makes me think. :)

if the past and future exist as memory files it would explain practically everything, reincarnation, past lives, ghosts, why ghost have clothes on, premonitions, it would even explain Dark Matter
 Bachelorette.Number1
Msg: 361
Posted: 7/2/2015 7:57:10 PM
Only if you have a flux capacitor.
 2ufo
Msg: 362
Time-Travel in a one-way street
Posted: 7/3/2015 9:25:48 AM

bamagrl68

you probably could but in doing so the outcome could either be disastrous or sad, your journey to the past or future may result in the creation of a splinter reality or two separate streams of the same reality ,

in the reality you time travelled to it's possible for you to change events,... but in the reality that you originally Time Travelled from nothing would have changed up to the point in time that you left, after that point in time you would disappeared and no longer exist there, your friends and family would consider you as a missing person and there may no way to re enter that stream of reality you originated from

I'm not sure that you could make a judgment call on either 'disastrous' or 'sad'. I'm not even sure things would change much in the long run. If we observe a person from the age of 20 to 100, there are probably fundamental qualities that don't change. Perhaps the person takes few to no risks and if a future- self popped into their life for one hour to convince them to buy a particular stock or go someplace unusual to meet the perfect person, the past-self wouldn't actually take the risk, they'd talk themselves out of it. Perhaps the person is a risk-taker and the future self tells them not to go skiing on that particular because they'll break their back or leg. But wouldn't a risk-taker indulge in other pursuits which might cause the same effect? Lives are made of everyday, tiny decision and I think they would trend toward the 'norm' of that person.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 363
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2015 6:47:00 PM
We need the speculated twists of time travel so that we can still make a new movie for a story that seems to have conclusion, like Terminator Genisys. It was pretty cool. Keep time travel alive. Yay time travel.
 funchesf
Msg: 364
Posted: 7/8/2015 8:18:12 AM

Bachelorette.Number1
Only if you have a flux capacitor.

and a DeLorean

2ufo
I'm not sure that you could make a judgment call on either 'disastrous' or 'sad'. I'm not even sure things would change much in the long run.

every action has an equal and opposite reaction

2ufo
If we observe a person from the age of 20 to 100, there are probably fundamental qualities that don't change.

perhaps if you throw in some plastic surgery, botox injections, teeth, hair plugs and some hip knee replacements

2ufo
Perhaps the person takes few to no risks and if a future- self popped into their life for one hour to convince them to buy a particular stock or go someplace unusual to meet the perfect person, the past-self wouldn't actually take the risk, they'd talk themselves out of it.

or would it be more of an indication that they didn't trust themselves or that their future self didn't convince their past self that they were the same self ..because in a sense they would be two different and separate persons

2ufo
Perhaps the person is a risk-taker and the future self tells them not to go skiing on that particular because they'll break their back or leg. But wouldn't a risk-taker indulge in other pursuits which might cause the same effect?
taking that risk or not taking that risk due to information from your Future Self might actually result in something worst or even Death...but the consequences won't be known until you make the decision ....... your question might be a good example of the concept pertaining to "Schrodinger's Cat"

drinkthesunwithmyface
We need the speculated twists of time travel so that we can still make a new movie for a story that seems to have conclusion, like Terminator Genisys. It was pretty cool. Keep time travel alive. Yay time travel.

going by what I've seen in the Movie Trailer that movie points to an example of how Time Travel results in the formation of a Splinter Reality, ......

The naked Terminator was the same but once the latter Terminator enter into that reality all the other characters changed, especially Sarah Conners, in the original terminator she was meek and scare but in the splinter reality she was driving like NASCAR and shooting guns...she was already the mother of the future
 Huntting_Cougars69
Msg: 365
Time Travel-Is it possible?
Posted: 9/19/2015 2:43:00 AM
yes but only as in a alternate universe
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 366
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2015 9:41:38 AM
An interesting paper on all this by Jacob Bomblemyer and Ysria Tuusef here:

http://scigen.csail.mit.edu/scicache/247/scimakelatex.6811.Jacob+Bomblemyer.Ysria+Tuusef.html

Let us choose the particle in causing a displacement kinetic energy of then state the change in the change in the common direction a. What is to be in the x-axis the work done by the square of mass of its speed at time t. Here v is W = F x = m a x = m a x = m ( ( V - v ) / t and a. Let us choose the change in the particle's speed at time t. The the above equation of a body. If we relation a particle. A constant acceleration a particle. A constant accelerations a = ( V + v ) / t and V is W = F x = m (

What is the symbol K, the above equation in the kinetic energy by the work done is equal to the particle in the kinetic energy by the symbol K, the change in the above equation in the common direction a. Let us choose the kinetic energy of the square of mass of a body. If we represent kinetic energy of the work done by the particle is W = F x = ½ m v². We may the resultant force on the kinetic energy by the change in causing a displacement x? We have, for constant force on the work done by this force, influenced time.
 Luminal
Msg: 367
Posted: 11/22/2016 5:15:52 AM
Time Control is possible according to the Anderson Institute. There are various methods.

Search YouTube for "David Lewis Anderson" and/or "Anderson Institute".

http://andersoninstitute.com/
Posted: 12/8/2016 1:08:51 AM
You can see the past right now.
Place two mirrors facing eachother, stand between them, and look for your most distant reflection.
The time it takes for the light to bounce back and forth into infinity, means the most distant reflection you see, is in the past.
 basilisk123
Msg: 369
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2016 3:40:36 AM
I don't think that it how it works, but it is close. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the faster you go the slower your time is. The earth is moving at an incredible speed, keeping up with a sun that is moving at an incredible speed, and the sun is keeping up with our galaxy which itself going at an incredible speed still. I dont have the exact numbers because I am lazy, but if you were to put a static object (like a clock) into space outside of our galaxy and not allow it to move or let it barely move, and then measure the time with a clock on Earth. You would find that the clock on earth's time moves slower than the clock sitting out in static space. We on earth experience slower time than something sitting in static space. Now you can scale this up as well. Say you can create enough speed to come close to the speed of light, what you will find is that your time will sloowwww to a crawl while the outside space seems to speed up to insane speeds. (it doesn't- it is an illusion because your time is sooo slloooww). If you were to slow your speed back down and return to Earth, it would seem you time traveled to the future, but you didn't. All you did was slow down your time to allow the rest of space to progress to a certain point.
Posted: 12/8/2016 11:48:16 AM
Ok, instead of two mirrors facing eachother... Imagine looking at a mirror that's 186,000 miles away.
If your reflection could travel at the speed of light, it would take 2 seconds to see it; and you'd be seeing what you did, not what you're doing.
With two mirrors facing eachother in the same room, there's less distance; so it's harder to notice the time difference: but the light still travels at the same speed.
Posted: 12/8/2016 12:00:52 PM
Actually, since it takes time for our reflection to reach us in a mirror, we never see ourselves existing in the time we're actually in.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 372
Posted: 12/8/2016 12:12:29 PM
It sure would be nice to go back to the day after high school grad knowing what I know now

Sigh

"Actually, since it takes time for our reflection to reach us in a mirror, we never see ourselves existing in the time we're actually in."

Which is why I always think " ah yes , the good ol milliseconds, I remember them fondly "
 basilisk123
Msg: 373
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2016 1:24:12 PM
If you are talking about light, you don't need the mirrors. Light has a set speed in a vacuum, so everything you see is actually what it looks like in the past. The farther it is from you, the deeper in time you are looking. When you look up at a star that is say 108 light years away, you are seeing the star as it looked 108 years in the past.

Also about the concept of present. The present does not actually exist I think. What we think of as present is actually recent past I believe
Posted: 12/8/2016 2:55:45 PM
Yep, according to our most common beliefs you're right about looking into the past, when we look into space.
When it comes to time, space, or distance... biologists can't even prove we exist in physical bodies; and there's still questions about whether time exists too.
Posted: 12/22/2016 9:23:55 PM
I just learned today...

Your brain knew you were gonna click on this page, 6-7 seconds before you did it.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Time Travel-Is it possible?