Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 16
how many of you could walk on by after seeing this Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
WTF is wrong with these people!
You wouldn't leave a dog laying like this. This is so disturbing....

............................................................................................
 MikeWM
Msg: 17
view profile
History
how many of you could walk on by after seeing this
Posted: 10/18/2011 1:01:56 PM
Being objective here, but its CHINA

Its their culture, and although we might not agree with it then its really none of our business at the end of the day

If China was trying to tell UK women they shouldnt breed so irresponsibly we'd tell them to **** off and mind their own business quick enough, so its a bit rich to do the same to them really

And considering the planet is already overpopulated and still growing China is the only country so far thats actually taken ANY steps to try and address that problem

When we have done at least something to try and control our own birth rates maybe we might earn the right to criticise other countries approaches to a problem we havent even had the balls to think about yet never mind actually doing anything about it
 MiaCat74
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/18/2011 2:25:33 PM
Im just watching it on the news just now

I just cannot imagine how people can just walk on like that
 MikeWM
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2011 2:52:03 PM
To be honest here its one child

During the 8 years or so the US and UK maintained trade restrictions into Iraq an estimated 200,000 infants per year died from malnutrition, lack of clean water and lack of medicines as basic medical supplies and food stuffs were also blocked by the sanctions (do the math)

How many were even aware of that or lifted a finger to stop it?

The EU used the threat of stopping all foriegn aid into third world coutnries if they carried on using DDT in the 1970s or thereabouts, which saw the annual deaths worldwide from malaria rocket by almost 1000% in less than a decade to over 2 million per year, many of whom were children, infants, babies (do the math here too)

Anyone even aware of that? Anyone do anything to stop it?

But one child gets run over which is brought to your attention and its a big deal?

Several million unnecessary deaths as a direct result of our own countries government though, yeah, thats ok as long as we dont hear about it

Perspective is an interesting concept
 Strider886
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2011 2:35:01 AM
It seems to me that the "leave it to someone else" attitude is just as prevalent around the world as it is in our own country.

We live in a society where we are conditioned to do just one thing with our lives, anything else is someone else's problem, someone else's job.
I think people who are vastly multi-skilled/multi-talented, are (usually under paid) much more likely to lend a hand should an unforeseen situation arise, such as the one seen in that video.
 andy1961
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2011 3:58:47 AM
Remember China is being held aloft as an example to us all of great economy. Ignoring all its human rights abuses for the sake of a dollar.......sad world we live in.

Completely agree!

And the only two things that both the american and british governments (and other european countries) are concerned about are; 1. Doing business with China. 2. And hoping that China doesn't take over the world economy (which it's fast on the way to doing).

Only after sorting out business with China do you then get the likes of Hilary Clinton happening to mention nicely to China that they should sort out their "human rights problems".
The double standards and hypocrisy are scandalous. Still, no surprise there.

I personally resent this country doing any business at all with China, regardless of whether it's creating jobs or not. And as for their state visits to this country, including meeting the Queen - it's all wrong. They shouldn't be allowed in!

(Can't watch the news link - it would make me too angry)
 Strider886
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2011 3:37:09 AM
Just a thought here, but with it being China and knowing their history of detaining and torturing innocent people for crimes they did not commit, is there any real surprise that the van driver(s) carried on and other people walked on by??
 Strider886
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2011 5:46:08 AM

Sometimes it just takes a single symbolic incident to exemplify an underlying issue and incite enough of an uproar to prompt change.

Here's what'll happen.....
They'll start a riot, people will get shot, someone will stand in front of a tank and they'll all go home disappointed.
 MikeWM
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2011 2:07:27 PM
I noticed a lot of criticism of the passers by, the drivers etc etc

But what about he parents? What was a 2 year old doing unsupervised in the first place. That IMO is, or should be the PRIMARY point of criticism, because if that had been rectified no drivers would have been able to run her over, and no passers by would have had anything to look the other way about to begin with
 MikeWM
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2011 2:25:41 PM
I think the "smart alec" response has already been said

7 MINUTES

However the scenario is dressed up the mother was negligent enough to not be ANYWHERE near that child.

That cant just be dismissed as "an accident" then turn around and criticise the drivers as I doubt they set out that morning with the intent of running over small children, nor that it was a hobby of theirs

Chances are they were traumatised when they realised what had happened as is often the case with drivers in RTA's

Parental negligence was infact the cause of the entire incident, everything else that happened is secondary by quite a large margin IMO

And I'll be honest, I wouldnt have gone over to the child. I dont like blood at the best of times. Had it been my own child then I would have. But I wouldnt want to see those kind of injuries on a stranger under any circumstances. But I would at the very least phone an ambulance which cant be known how many of the passers by might also have done too
 MikeWM
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2011 3:00:07 PM
Its even easier to not see them in the road where you wouldnt expect a child of that age to be too

So are we saying its the childs fault then as nobody else, not even the parent is responsible for a 2 year old being out unsupervised? lol

I'm sorry, but "its easy for a child to wander off" is a total cop out IMO, it IS easy for that to happen when you arent paying attention and if you havent taken enough precautions for times when you know you have to pay attention to something else

Either way though, theres a lack of attention, or a lack of attention to precautions. No matter how its dressed up that is the only way a child can get out of your sight as last time I checked theyre not known for teleportation, falling through dimensional worm holes which is where all the odd socks go and cant make themselves invisible

It might not be touchy feely, or politically correct to blame the parents. But its nobody elses fault

And if someone else, lets say a teacher had been looking after that child I doubt ANYONE, not even the parents would have been so forgiving if it had happenned then.

Can you really see a parent turning to a teacher in charge of their child when they wandered off and got killed and saying

"dont beat yourself up about it, kids do that all the time its impossible to keep an eye on them" ?

Seriously, can you?

And lets not forget that if it IS so widely known that kids wander off, thats actually worse rather than better. And would only be a defence for the first few people who observed this unbefore known beahaviour of toddlers

After that its should be pretty much covered as an normal every day part of parenting to avoid and take precautions against

And if that had been me and my child nobody else would need to blame me, I would already know it was my fault to begin with
 MikeWM
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2011 5:34:44 PM
I'm not saying it does make people walking past "right" but them walking past also doesnt alter why the child was there on their own and unsupervised to begin with either

It just seemed that theres been blame placed everywhere from the passers by all the way up to the chinese government and culture yet barely a whisper of culpability for the parents

Why is that?

As I said, had it been a teacher in charge of the child when it happened I very much doubt that even the parents would have held back from blaming the person who WAS supposed to be responsible for the child nor most people infact

Yet because its the parent it seems to create a kind of blindspot of responsibility, like a teacher would or should be viewed differently for doing the same thing which I find intriguing

Infact forget just blaming a teacher, chances are they and the school would probably be sued and would probably face criminal charges too

Just seems a bit "odd" to have such a disparity in blame culture
 try1more
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2011 11:54:15 PM
china:
that link seems to be flogging religion as better than some misguided idealism, like it's the only choices available.
so those that are not religious are bad because of that.
is this country so different? when those charged with the care of children don't dare comfort them, give them a cuddle when they're upset?
when strangers don't dare approach a distressed child because they are likely to be branded a paedophile, and could risk a kicking?
our own government is and has been removing responsibility from all, but what have they got to replace it with?
the way things are going parents will soon have to call social services if their child refuses to do what they are told, who will then decide if what they are being told to do is ok or not.
the laws on smacking for instance are a one size fits all that is not working.
violence towards children is wrong but everything has a place, and without it kids can grow up thinking their behaviour will have no consequences, which we all know is not the way life is.
it's no surprise that people are confused when defending you or yours could land you in prison, but your government can start a war that is not in response to an act of aggression.
then they talk about collateral damage ( dead and maimed men women and children) like it refers to some property.
using those terms the dead victim of a mugging or whatever is simply collateral damage innit?
anyone else remember the police or was it cpso's that wouldn't attempt to save a drowning child i think it was, because the rules said they shouldn't?
i just tried and failed to find an article about the teacher? that got in trouble for picking up a child to get them out of the road, maybe someone else can remember it.
even in this country if you go to the aid of someone and without realising cause them any other or further injury you can be in trouble.
the two police women that were taking it in turns to look after each others kids? threatened with dismissal or was it prosecution? or both?
you cant or couldn't leave your kids in the care of your parents unless they have qualified and are registered?
the list goes on, maybe some have been dumped i don't know, but government interference is more about headlines than solutions.
i've not looked at the video and don't plan to, but is this a one off in a country of 1.3 billion according to google?
or is it a daily occurrence?
 kasandroid
Msg: 54
Posted: 12/19/2011 9:13:24 PM
I watched a documentary on China a couple years back, and because of the baby girl laws, that law is lifted or will soon be lifted because there is not enough women for the men of China to find and marry. It will be even worse in the near future, by massive numbers.

It's not China's fault a little girl got killed on the road. Yeah lots of people don't give a crap everywhere about lots of things. EVRYONE IS SELF-ABSORBED EVERYWHERE. Didn't you notice on the horrid video clip lots of passerby where busy on their cellphones? Maybe some had earphones on and were not looking in her direction.? Maybe drivers were on their phones as well. The traffic is highly congested and not many would probably even see a small child lying on the ground, not like they had x-ray vivion at that level when they are concentrating on the vehicles in front of them. And what was the driver of the van's excuse for not stopping? Just curious if theres an answer?

Betcha the street lady who stopped to help the toddler wasn't texting away on some phone.

So maybe technology is a big part of the factor of whose to blame.

If China is completly evil, how did the video even make it out for the rest of the world to see?

Remember back when toys in China were full of lead, and children where getting sick all over? Well one of the men at the top of one of those toy companies, was so distraught and guilty over it he commited suicide.

Also maybe if we had some population control over here in the Western world, people wouldn't get away with having so many by how many parents just to live off of government assistance. Yet on it goes. Food probably wouldn't be so damn expensive. Oh yeah sure blame it all on the economy, but hey yeah maybe a little less breeding would help. Like seriously one kid isn't expensive enough these days? Yet it's like a fulltime hobby for some, just keep popping them out, then run to the food bank after you spend your check on your fancy @ss new furniture or booze or whatever. Obviously not birth control. Really it sickens me how some of these welfare families have nicer furniture then someone who didn't breed and is on ODSP and can't work.

Allan Anger
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/30/2011 11:33:56 AM
I have no desire to watch it. Reading some comments, and I have my first grand baby,,,I dont think I could bare harm to a child. Therfore, I wont watch it.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >