Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Re: "God Fearing People"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JLarsson
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Re: God Fearing PeoplePage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
It always suprising to me how something that brings so many people so much joy without hurting anyone, can bring forth so much animosity and hate. And yes I know you can bring up 200 year old which burning and 1000 year old crusades. The fact that so many feel the need to tear at something that only stand to benifit and enrich society and replace it with nothing is proof enough for me.
 kari135
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Re: God Fearing People
Posted: 11/19/2011 11:15:14 AM

It always suprising to me how something that brings so many people so much joy without hurting anyone, can bring forth so much animosity and hate. And yes I know you can bring up 200 year old which burning and 1000 year old crusades.

Let me give a more recent example: I had nothing but "good Christian neighbors" for 3 years - they all made a point of telling me so. But since I declined to attend any of the churches they recommended, I was shunned. No one but store clerks spoke to me in all that time. Well, except for the one man who stopped while walking past my house one day to tell me I was the Spawn of the Devil. If there was any way someone could take advantage of me - preferably financially - they tried. When I had more than enough of all that, I left and rented my house to someone who claimed (big surprise) to be a "good Christian" - she left without notice after 4 months, and I was finally informed by someone that my house is now a biker crash pad. So now I get to let it be repo'd, at the expense of my credit rating, because there is no way in hell I'd ever go back there again. If I did believe in a God, I'd pray to be preserved from all Southern Baptists. And I do hope their God brings them much joy, no matter how much they did their best to hurt me personally. Fortunately, I'm not that easy to hurt.
 Aries_328
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2011 11:30:25 AM

If he is being faithful out of some idea of duty or moral value, that's no good to me.

I think that this type of thinking is a bit short sighted. Moral value isn't the value you get when things are going well. It is the moral value when a challenge occurs. Let's say for the sake of argument that you have been married 20 years. You are 20 years in, things a really kind of predicable and maybe for the last few months there are some external factors that have put some strain on the romantic type of feelings. It would not make any guy a bad guy to be attracted to someone else at this point. It would be totally natural and instinctual. Pretty much the best you can hope for would be some form of being faithful out of a sense of duty or moral value. Without some form of moral compass which direction would you expect this to go. If that moral compass comes from a belief in God that doesn't make it any less of a dedication to you.

If the opposite case were true and the reference was to either the man or women not having a sense of guided principles for moral values then when the time comes where there will be a strain in the relationship what would be the chances of the relationship continuing.

So, having a sense of moral value should be a good thing. The differences in a base for that moral value are another topic. For this topic religion and God would be that base and that is typically what is meant by ‘god fearing.’
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/19/2011 11:37:09 AM

So now I get to let it be repo'd, at the expense of my credit rating

Or you could take it back. (and charge a small; but fair rent amount for the time it has been used)

Take witnesses and make sure all in the home know that they're al recorded. Also let themknow that there is no anomosty; but you just need your home now. Chance are; they're not as scary or mean and unfair as you think. Heck; chances ARE that these 'bikers'....are in actuality very church going Christians.

Dont wanna?

Call the Sheriff, and tell em you want your house unoccupied

(Now you got yer house back)
 kari135
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2011 12:06:35 PM

Dont wanna?

No, I don't wanna. I don't want to waste the money to travel 1,000 miles to visit a place, however briefly, that made it utterly clear that I was not wanted.

I also don't think all Christians are evil. I have many friends who actually are good Christians. What I don't like are organized religions of any flavor. They easily become mobs - well intentioned, maybe, by their own lights, but a mob is a mob, and mob mentality can be ugly. Think Westboro.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Re: "God Fearing People"