Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > who has more rights?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 IR_SomeBuddy
Msg: 196
who has more rights? Page 10 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Grace did public or Government money fund this building? If not then it is most certainly considered private property in Canada. All I am stating is that business owners have the right to refuse service to anyone as long as its not for reasons listed in the Human Rights Act. Whether its good business or not is irrelevant.

I saw a Chinese lady kick a man in a wheelchair out of her restaurant... she yelled at him, " Get out, you get out now! " She didn't give him a reason but I suspect his chair took up extra space and was blocking the aisle to the kitchen. My new date and I looked at each other when we saw this, and without saying a word to each other we both got up and left. I have not been there since and its been 15 years. She didn't get sued and she didn't have to tell him squat why she wanted him out.

Like I said before I do not condone what the B&B owners did nor I personally discriminate against people myself unless they are total ass hats, and then out the door they go regardless of their sexual orientation, etc.. Anyone who thinks there are laws to make me do business with them if I do not wish to are mistaken and have not substantiated their facts one bit.
Also as the Lawyer stated a Business owner doesn't have to give you any reason why they refused service and asked you to leave.

I proved every one of my points by posting the Lawyers advice on the topic at hand. Some people chose to ignore the facts stated by a Lawyer in black and white plain English words, and yet insist continuing with tirade after tirade thrown in with personal attacks, and unsubstantiated claims. These self righteous people who insist that I must kiss their asses and serve them just cannot admit they are wrong. Obviously Business and Law are not their strong suits as well as comprehension for some.
 mungojoe
Msg: 197
who has more rights?
Posted: 8/4/2012 7:18:30 PM

All I am stating is that business owners have the right to refuse service to anyone as long as its not for reasons listed in the Human Rights Act.

It is all fine and dandy that you say that, but that is not what you originally stated...

What you stated was:

you can ask anyone to leave or refuse service to anyone you want as long as you don't say it is due to sex, religion, race, etc.

Business Owners in the know will just say, "Please leave my establishment immediately". When asked why they are being refused access to the establishment or services all the Business Owner has to say is, "Because I want you to leave". That's all they have to say and they have every legal right to invoke this policy without fear of a lawsuit.

You are suggesting that all one has to do to discriminate is to not give the real reason for refusal, just make up an inocuous excuse and you can get away with it...

You then went on to further state:

You cannot force a private business into doing business with you no matter how loud you scream to the human rights commission. You live in a dream world if you think there would even be a case. If the human rights commission ever did inquire I would simply state to them, "Because I didn't feel like working at that moment", or "I had to go take a poop".

Now, I don't care how you want to spin it... That is clearly saying that you can escape a human rights complaint by lieing about it...

I proved every one of my points by posting the Lawyers advice on the topic at hand.

No, you didn't... What you quoted didn't say one word about having the right to be deceptive to accomplish discrimination as you clearly advised as a means to avoid a suit... I can pretty much guarantee that if you lie to the customers or the courts about the basis for your refusal, and get caught doing it, you will lose your case...
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 198
view profile
History
who has more rights?
Posted: 8/4/2012 7:51:25 PM

Grace did public or Government money fund this building? If not then it is most certainly considered private property in Canada. All I am stating is that business owners have the right to refuse service to anyone

The ownership of a property used for commercial purposes has absolutely no importance in deciding who gets to enter it during business hours. You can own the property, own the business, but during business hours it must be open to everyone. This is from the registry of Alberta, you know the place that set you up with your business number and everything you needed to know to open your store...

This address must be accessible to the public during regular business hours,
and must either be a street address or legal land description

That's a no brainer.

But look at how crazy you are Buddy...

All I am stating is that business owners have the right to refuse service to anyone as long as its not for reasons listed in the Human Rights Act

Ok. Well done. You get it now. The reason you refuse someone service has to be something other than those listed as personal characteristics in our charter and commission's description of discrimination. Beautiful.

But then.......

Also as the Lawyer stated a Business owner doesn't have to give you any reason why they refused service and asked you to leave

Arg! Now you're back to saying you can refuse service with no reason at all. Gawd! You're maddening. The charter of rights and the human rights commission say you need a reason other than personal characteristics to refuse servcice. End of story. Quite being wrong. If the person you refused service to for no reason decidess to file a complaint against you you will have to provide a reason.

I proved every one of my points by posting the Lawyers advice on the topic at hand

So funny. The lawyer you quoted from some "Ask Geeves" sort of site may not be a lawyer at all. What is for certain is that he wasn't talking about discrimination issues. He was talking about a fired bartender. And as we have seen from first hand experience here, lawyers are not the best and brightest to say the least. Why don't you just read the laws as quoted for you here in this thread and then if you still say business owners in Alberta do not need a valid reason to refuse service to someone you're absolutely crazy and we should just move on.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 199
view profile
History
who has more rights?
Posted: 8/5/2012 2:50:02 AM
I'm just glad to hear that the bed and breakfast is out of business now. Good that it turned out the right way this time. They f***ing deserve it.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 200
view profile
History
who has more rights?
Posted: 8/8/2012 11:25:07 AM
here's a good one for youse folks to debate (there's already a thread about this on the uk
forum but as you lot cannot road trip i think its a valid story for here.) as it ties in with the
topic of this thread.

now is THIS business allowed to pick and choose who they allow on their premises
or do youse lot think that a court case should be brought and the business fined and
brought to its knees in a christian bed and breakfast type stylee?

Sexism row as children's play centre bans fathers and all boys aged over nine

Branded 'disgusting and sexist' for 'no men rule'
Equality watchdog will investigate the centre's policy
Decision made for 'cultural reasons' in the interests of the 'predominantly Asian' community

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2185041/Fathers-banned-play-centres-women-decree.html#ixzz22yolWX4d

oooo dear every ism and ist and ophobe included in that little belter of a story.

play nice now
 LoveMyDog55
Msg: 201
who has more rights?
Posted: 8/8/2012 1:16:53 PM
Geez, I say let them have their play center ~ is that the only play center around?

What if they allow men and older boys to come in and all the women and girls leave? haha

"We're not staying if some stinky men are coming around to spoil our fun"

Then it will be an all male play center. Ah, well. It was fun while it lasted
 matchlight
Msg: 202
view profile
History
who has more rights?
Posted: 8/8/2012 1:39:42 PM

We're not staying if some stinky men are coming around

But maybe it was the stinky women there who attracted them. Stinky women are not my thing, but chacun a son gout.
 LoveMyDog55
Msg: 203
who has more rights?
Posted: 8/8/2012 1:44:05 PM
Of course it was!!! They could smell them stank wimmen from miles away.

What a dilemma

mungojoe
Msg: 204
who has more rights?
Posted: 8/8/2012 2:10:53 PM

But maybe it was the stinky women there who attracted them. Stinky women are not my thing, but chacun a son gout.

And STILL you haven't been able to answer to your contradictions...

Have you managed to figure out some way to weasel out of this yet...?

""OK... Let's just see if I understand your argument... States are free to pass any laws the majority sees fit to pass as long as they don't violate the Constitution (as written and understood at ratification or the date the amendment was ratified if applicable, original intent, strict interpretation and all that)... The states have a right to 1) enforce moral sanction and exert moral suasion, supported by the majority, by way of law and 2) Allow or disallow whatever discrimination the majority chooses to allow or disallow by way of law and that there is no tyranny in either of these and that it is, in fact, the proper role of the state (you've argued both of these points on numerous threads about same-sex marriage, sodomy laws, transvaginal ultrasounds, etc)... And yet, somehow, it is an anti-freedom, anti-Constitution, statist practice to exert moral sanction/suasion through laws against discrimination...

Somehow, it seems as though your understanding of the issue is determined by the extent to which you wish to see a group discriminated against..."

Can you explain that contradiction...? I suppose you could try some evasive nonsense about "how federalism works" (not that you actually understand the concept)... Oh, but wait, this is a provincial jurisdiction issue (that's like a "states' rights" kind of thing for the 'Bill and Ted's Most Excellent School of Law' crowd) not a federal issue... Darn, guess you won't be able to weasel your way out that way...

We're quite excited to hear how you will attempt to justify such a blatant and obvious contradiction..."

It seems rather obvious that you cannot "worm your way out"...

It is interesting how rabid, right-wing conservatives never seem to want to answer for their contradictions... It is as if they understand that their lies have no basis and they are too lacking in "testicular fortitude" and personal responsibility to admit their errors...
 Tigmorevad
Msg: 205
who has more rights?
Posted: 8/8/2012 3:36:27 PM
Any business owner should have the right to do business with whomever he or she chooses.
 matchlight
Msg: 206
view profile
History
who has more rights?
Posted: 8/14/2012 12:59:38 PM
gays are a protected cadre because the Jews control the banking and media etc. and favour them in their war to exterminate the White race.

It must be all those non-white Jews who are waging the war to exterminate whites.

Legally means nothing anymore in the USA or Canada.

I don't know about Canada, but laws mean quite a bit here in the U.S. Every day, lots of people who break them are made to realize that.

Normal people have no rights in a sick society.

If so, the U.S. can't be a sick society, because lots of perfectly normal people have all sorts of legally enforceable rights here.

gays never were tolerated anywhere in History

You might want to read a little about ancient Greece.

these insane Zionist states attack innocent countries.

Yes, it's shocking. Those mean, insane Israelis are getting ready to attack the plants the poor, innocent Islamic jihadist Nazis who rule Iran have built to make atom bombs. And why? All because those poor, innocent jihadist Nazis hate Jews and have sworn to wipe out Israel with those bombs as soon as they get them.

Meanwhile the folks at home are kept fat and stupid like human cattle.

I take it you don't count yourself and your friends among those folks. As for myself, I may be stupid, and I can be bull-headed at times--but I am *not* fat.

yet heteros have been deprived of the sex fun people had in the 70s.

They have? I take it you are speaking for yourself.

Gays spread disease and should be banned.

What form should this "banning" take, in your opinion, and just how should it be accomplished? I hope you're not calling for anyone to break the law.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > who has more rights?