Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > S/he has no health insurance. Dealbreaker?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 clayart
Msg: 51
S/he has no health insurance. Dealbreaker?Page 3 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
FOR SALE

Fake Health Insurance Card $ 5.00 U.S.

Laminated Card with Pocket Clip for Easy Display on First Dates $ 7.50 U.S.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 52
S/he has no health insurance. Dealbreaker?
Posted: 10/23/2011 11:34:58 PM
^^you gotta love an entrepreneur..
 CrazyCanuckz
Msg: 53
Posted: 10/24/2011 6:22:23 AM
Those are real issues. I used to have high blood pressure. I lowered it by consuming extra virgin olive oil and changing my diet.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 54
Posted: 10/24/2011 8:24:06 AM
I guess if you are gold diggin then a health care plan will be a deal breaker...seriously? I just shake my head on this site sometimes....lolololol
 DrummingNut
Msg: 55
Posted: 10/24/2011 8:59:24 AM
I don't consider it a dealbreaker.
But then I am not, no way, getting legally entangled with anyone .. so it's a moot consideration for me.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2011 10:52:58 AM

Yes, there are some shallow people...

but worse than that...

then you guys get replaced by a hot 30 year old...after all she is healthier ...
.... there are some very immature, jaded, stupid people too... JMHO!!! Actually that is the least of our worries.....

Pretty much why I don't put a lot of stock in this site and never really have to be honest. I know what I earn, what I have coverage for. I guess here in Canada, we all have OHIP, so this isn't an issue. But I have to say I find it really really cheesy for someone to factor this into a relationship, should a connection be made...wow!
 Padawan61
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2011 11:37:33 AM

I guess here in Canada, we all have OHIP, so this isn't an issue

No ... OHIP is only available in Ontario. Not the rest of Canada.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2011 12:02:15 PM
Padawan! I stand corrected then! Perhaps I should put this benefit on my profile?
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 59
Posted: 10/24/2011 2:59:07 PM
Well, it *can* make a huge difference in whether a relationship moves forward, or not, whether we like it or not. My first spring into summer/fall on PoF, I was involved with a fine Canuck. He has diabetes; I had a bad spring/summer with arthritis. Alas, his health insurance wouldn't travel with him, and mine (medicare) doesn't travel either.

During our month-long first date, we went out of town to a Pow-Wow, where for some reason, my knees began to *really* act up -- as in shrieking pain and immobility. The only thing that kept me from ER was the lack of insurance. After a couple of days tucked away on the sofa at his sister's, it retreated enough that I could breath/move. But whatever we had going was mortally wounded. I *couldn't* come to Canada, and he *couldn't* come to the US. There was a whole lotta love there, but all to no purpose.

Still makes me sad.
 02hdf150
Msg: 60
Posted: 10/24/2011 3:02:45 PM
Wow, something new to worry about in this dating game. When does the question of health insurance come up in conversation, before or after the blood sample is taken?
 aboutgettingby
Msg: 61
Posted: 10/24/2011 3:11:32 PM
This is obviously a question related to being in a committed long term relationship, but the trite won't sleep with someone because they have no health insurance posts come out. I hope those that treat this subject lightly never get into a life and death situation where it does matter with someone they care about.
 attitude17
Msg: 62
Posted: 10/24/2011 3:22:12 PM
Of course I would get involved with someone without health insurance. I live in Florida, many employers don't offer it. Im a nurse and I pay half of my insurance, which is about $400.00 a month (this includes my paid vacation time), but it is a benefit package and this is how it works.

I have no intention of ever re-marrying, but caring and being there for someone I am involved with, has nothing to do with whether or not they have health insurance...
 trinity818
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2011 3:34:30 PM

Most people that I know are either covered by their employer's health insurance, which has not gone up significantly

I administer my employer's health insurance plan. It goes up each and every year quite significantly. Consequently, every year we are forced to take much higher deductibles, copays and coinsurance. I'm quite sure, within the next 6 months, I will no longer have group health. With pre-existing conditions not covered, individual plans won't help me much. (And who can afford them, anyhow??)

If health insurance is now a dealbreaker along with everything else...I guess a bunch of us are SOOL.
 Ready_Real
Msg: 64
Posted: 10/24/2011 3:53:56 PM

This is obviously a question related to being in a committed long term relationship, but the trite won't sleep with someone because they have no health insurance posts come out. I hope those that treat this subject lightly never get into a life and death situation where it does matter with someone they care about.

To Messengers #71 and #73,

I couldn't empathize -- and sympathize -- more with what you've just shared. And may life always keep the people who think this is "the dumbest question ever posted" by another "shallow" fish, as blissfully (or as sarcastically) ignorant as they currently appear to be.
 kari135
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2011 5:41:40 PM

I was just hoping you had a functioning brain. No wonder so many over 45 are single.

Some of us feel the same way. I personally would add that it would be bonus points to not be stood up - a call cancelling would be a good thing, at the least...
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2011 7:18:12 PM

All Canadians have health insurance .....
NO PREMIUMS
NO DUDUCTABLES.
NO CO-PAYS

This is a NOT an issue in Canada ...

Our health cards have our PHOTO on it ... and holograms to pervert duplication....

Whoa!!!! Back up the bus!

You live in Ontario. Just because you might think Ontario is the centre of the Canadian universe there are other provinces in Canada besides Ontario. Every province and/or territory administers their own health care services. The term "universal" only comes into play in that ALL Canadians are entitled to receive a basic standard of health care and all provinces/territories are entitled to assistance in their funding of the provision of universal health care via transfer payments from Ottawa.

NO PREMIUMS: Not necessarily - British Columbia has premiums.

YOUR health card may have your PHOTO on it but let me assure you that my Alberta Health Services card does not have MY photo on it nor is there a hologram on it.
 Padawan61
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2011 8:10:59 PM
Padawan! I stand corrected then! Perhaps I should put this benefit on my profile?

If you do include the benefit of OHIP on your profile, Moonchild, you'll have to put up with all the deathly ill POF Ontarians hitting you up for a date.

I thought you women only needed blood tests, criminal records, 401 K statement, Loan papers, credit card balances, credit report, last Physical, bank statement, Educational paperwork, business license and accounting reports, Mortgage balance, Clear titles on the home and properties,... and now this!

Hey ... don't give them any ideas. A urine sample might be next.
 bodypro88
Msg: 68
Posted: 10/24/2011 10:32:09 PM
^^^ I can be even more smug because I'm an American born Canadian national. Dual.
 kari135
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2011 8:11:55 AM

This is hard to believe because most people get health insurance with their jobs. In the old days, you got it for free. Now you have to pay a premium, and the cost of those has gone way up. Perhaps people are refusing to pay the premiums? It should be a priority. Before having a nice car or any car. Before going out to eat several times a week. Before having a lot of other things Americans think are a 'necessity.'

The last time I looked for a job - any kind of job at all - it was page after page of part time jobs. It was cheaper for an employer to hire 2 part timers than to have to offer one any benefits. Less than a certain number of hours/week and there are no benefits - specifically, no health insurance. That's why the lucky ones now are working 2 and 3 jobs, at least they can pay for utilities and feed their children. And pray like blue blazes nothing happens and none of them get sick.
 trinity818
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2011 8:28:24 AM

This is hard to believe because most people get health insurance with their jobs.

As Kari said, because health insurance has gotten so expensive, employers are more frequently opting to use part-time labor or pay overtime to existing employees. Most employers, (if they even offer health insurance) pay a maximum of 50% of the employees premium. Spouse and dependent coverage is usually paid 100% by the employee. The rates are unaffordable for any type of policy with decent coverage. Most people are having to settle for catastrophic plans. Whereby the only benefit would be if you suffer a major injury or illness.

I guess this is one way to deal with the social security shortfall problems. Kill us off before we can collect.
 kari135
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2011 9:15:31 AM

I understand that this is happening to a lot of people. But 5 out of 6 Americans living like this, like what you have described? That is hard to believe. That would make America a third world country, and I know that is not the case.

Parts of the US are very much third world. For the most part, people are either very wealthy (not many) or very poor (a lot) - they have health insurance of one kind or another. The middle class finds it harder and harder to get by. They are the ones without benefits. They are the ones who have to choose which bills to pay - and I don't mean the car they can't afford. I mean choosing between electricity/gas and food to feed their children.

The last time I had health insurance - and it was the second best offered at that time in the town where I lived - it was supposed to have a 20% co-pay on some things, a 500.00/year annual deductible for a family (and I had to pay extra for that). Right before I had to quit, I had a root canal and crown. My 20% was around 1,000.00, while the insurance company's 80% was around 250.00. Lots of explanations of why they weren't going to pay any more, and I was stuck with the bill. And at the end, the dentist told me "That's just a temporary crown, come back when you have more money."
 Ready_Real
Msg: 72
Posted: 10/25/2011 9:41:03 AM
I have "good" dental insurance. It was so good that it did not pay a cent for a crown. And a year later when the nerves under the crown had died making it necessary to pull what was left of the tooth, it paid for the oral surgery. But not for any pain killers. Don't get me wrong: I'm as tough as the next person. But not tough enough to satisfy my dental insurer apparently. $500 out of my pocket and a year later, I'm praying I don't lose the molar next to it. Then it's implants. Which apparently are an arm? a leg? both?

P.S. As of a week ago, new reports online and off included statistics on "underemployment and/or unemployment" in the US as follows:
approximately 38% of college grads (called our new "lost generation") between 2008 and 2010 are either underemployed are unemployed. Which means that they have no health insurance. Unless they're "lucky" enough to have some baby boomer parent/s still employed with family health insurance options. In which case their parent/s can keep them on their insurance policies. Until they turn 26. At which point, if they have a catastrophic illness or accident, god -- or the US government -- only knows what's ahead for these 20somethings and anybody who loves them. Including, most likely, their parents, many of whom are on sites such as these hoping to meet Someone Special.
 satx78218
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2011 10:08:28 AM
"the laws that drove the rates up"

no laws drove up rates up. The for-profit health insurers and the care providers figured they could raise their rates and claim they had no choice due to ACA. That's huge lie. They've been raising rates for 20 years, well above inflation, simply because they can.

USA's for-profit health care is huge scam, a racket, sucking wealth out of citizens' pocket, costing twice the rate per capita as health care costs in other countries that have better health and better health care outcomes.

The average cost of health insurance for a family of four is about $14K/year, estimated to be approaching $25K/year by 2020. But note that real household incomes have been flat for 30 years.

Assume the family of four is together 25 years, that's nearly $400K for health insurance, NOT for health care. Insane, and there's no stopping the insanity from getting worse indefinitely.
 asalloutdoors
Msg: 74
Posted: 10/25/2011 2:03:48 PM
Re dental and many other med costs, folks, look REAL hard at medical tourism. I went to Costa Rica for a dental bridge a couple of years ago and was so astonished at the prices that I had a bunch of other things done on that trip. Plus, I got a free trip to Costa Rica. The air fare was appx $250 round trip – yes, you have to take the dates that no one else wants, but that will save you $750.

My USA dentist wanted $1000 to pull a tooth and another $4000 for the bridge. My CR dentist charged $1140 total.

A CR colonoscopy cost me $450 – dunno what it costs in the USA.

A CR rabies vaccine (I am a wildlife biologist and caver, and need that protection) cost me $25. It costs $275 in the USA.

The EKG in CR cost me $35 vs $150 in the USA.

The next time I go there for medical reasons, I plan to get another rabies, shot plus a shingles shot and my third (last) hepatitis C shot. Dunno what the shingles and hep C shots will cost in CR, but in the USA they are $275 each.

They make it super easy for you. I will walk you through what happened to me: I emailed a hotel that specializes in medical tourism. A local who speaks excellent English phoned me and walked me through the process to get cheap air fare. She then made reservations for me at the hotel and the clinic. Arriving at the airport, a ‘handler’ speaking excellent English met me, took me directly to Clinics Biblica (it’s online) for initial meds, EKG, etc., walked me from med office to med office because many of the docs/nurses don’t speak English, then drove me to the hotel. I chose CheTica Ranch (hotel - it’s online) that was out of the city, as I am not a city person, and it was a gorgeous place with gardens, way cool wildlife, etc. CheTica is composed of detached bungalows similar to the log-cabinish ones Out West, and very comfortable. The next day my handler drove me into the city to the dentist and afterward drove me back to the hotel when the operation was completed. The handler drove me to the airport when that time came. You will be thankful for handlers if you are unaccustomed to San Jose rush hour traffic and the narrow San Jose street system, and if you don’t speak Spanish.

The only tips I paid were for the cooks and the fellow who brings firewood to the room’s fireplace, overall less than US$20. The hotel cost me US$80/day (4 days), and that included included three square plus transportation.

Cost comparison: I paid a total of appx US$2240 for the Costa Rica medical work, including hotel and air fare. That same medical in the USA would have cost me appx US$6225. But don’t take my word for it. Search the Internet for ‘medical tourism” and see for yourself.

And don’t gimme no crap about third world sanitation, robbery, incompetence, bribery, or any of that other nonsense, ‘cause I have been there and that just isn’t a problem. For example, my CR dentist was educated at Baylor University in Texas.
 asalloutdoors
Msg: 75
Posted: 10/25/2011 2:25:30 PM
Re "the laws that drove the rates up."

Nope. Here’s something I bet you didn’t know (I know it because I was a stock trader for 6 years). Before the Bush-Cheney (the crooks who destroyed the stock, credit, banking, and mortgage markets) administration, insurance companies made more money reinvesting your insurance premiums in the stock market than they did from your insurance premiums. Now that insurance companies and other Deep Pockets are standing back from the stock market, due to the common belief that it is due for major leg down, insurance companies need to make money off you and me, and that means higher premiums.

Furthermore, many people think insurance is supposed to pay for EVERY thing (similar to a free lunch). Sheesh!

Too, catastrophes like hurricanes and earthquakes used to result in merely BIG insurance payouts, but now with hideous overpopulation, catastrophes result in ENORMOUS payouts. People continue to build within the Mississippi River (and other rivers’) floodplains. People continue to build condos and mansions along beachfront even though the sea is rising. San Francisco builds on soft sediments overlying earthquake faults.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > S/he has no health insurance. Dealbreaker?