Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > S/he has no health insurance. Dealbreaker?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TNBinLV
Msg: 101
S/he has no health insurance. Dealbreaker?Page 5 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

Divorces can be messy, expensive and traumatic. The lady in question is just now going through her own divorce proceedings.

In general, it's called poor planning and not willing to let go of the past. It's just that many people experience a bad divorce the first time around. Some learn from their past mistakes and some do not.

One guy was a millionaire three times over. "How come?" How come he had to start over three times? Well the guy had been married three times. You would think that he would learn, but maybe he was your brother in law. You should of helped him out a little bit.

If the guy was telling the truth, why did he have to start over 3x? Good question. Why didn't he have a trust? Why didn't he have a prenuptial/antenuptual agreement? Why did he comingle funds? Was he so arrogant, full of himself, and/or ignorant that he didn't learn from his first divorce? Perhaps, he refused to listen to others then decided to blame everyone else instead of taking the blame himself. Perhaps, he just confided in you since he didn't have to tell the complete side of the story. And nope, he wasn't my brother-in-law since nobody in my family has been divorced 3x. What about your family? Still bitter about your own LA divorce?
 bodypro88
Msg: 102
S/he has no health insurance. Dealbreaker?
Posted: 10/27/2011 12:00:15 AM
It was a summary dissolution. She's from Thailand. You're a sharp guy. Figure it out.

The three time millionaire? Who knows, who cares? He left a decent tip.

It's a good thing to know it all, it's probably not a good thing to act like you do.
 Ready_Real
Msg: 103
Posted: 10/27/2011 8:36:47 AM

Then if someone is actually willing to date you after that then have them see an attorney about the cohabitation agreement, then the antinuptial/prenuptial agreement. I guess if the "date" makes it that far, the "date" is a keeper, at least for a while anyway.

My point about the %##@$&@##$% insurance situation these days (and, "Giggles," your post brought a tear to my eye: here you are battling cancer, and you also have to find the strength to do battle with the medical system!! Good God, I'm so sorry. . . )
is this: long-term terminal illnesses such as MS, ALS, TBI to name a few, have the very real potential to soak up every single asset except those basic necessities. True. You are allowed to keep your house and car. But the amount of $$ you are allowed to keep makes it impossible to pay your mortgage, taxes, and car payments --- not to mention groceries and heat. So essentially, the immediate family's standard of living becomes that of welfare recipients.

If you had an aging parent with whom you have always been blessed to have a wonderful child/parent relationship, and s/he ended up needing long-term care for ALzheimers, or stroke, of course you'd do everything humanly --- and financially --- possible to give your mom or dad the best care possible. But this could also potentially break your assets down to nothing. So meeting a person with no health insurance these days, is not something to consider lightly -- unless you are going to: keep the relationship light, or be prepared for the possibility that your second (or first or whatever!) love of your life will age sooner than later, and the risk of long term costly medical treatment is considerable.

Personally, dying while on the toilet may not be so bad. If the "King of Rock" can pass away while on the toilet, I couldn't see why it wouldn't be fitting for most anyone.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Thanks for giving me a real deal chuckle for today:) We all need to laugh as much as possible these days:)
 TNBinLV
Msg: 104
Posted: 10/27/2011 11:51:06 AM

LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Thanks for giving me a real deal chuckle for today:) We all need to laugh as much as possible these days:)

No problem. I agree.
 amethystdancer14
Msg: 105
Posted: 11/2/2011 11:18:19 PM
Wow I feel so bad for Americans, here in Australia we have a public health system. Okay its not brilliant but private health insurance is a choice rather than a must.

But I can certainly see the point of view as to whether its a deal breaker. I'm currently recovering from chronic fatigue syndrome and I'm totally up front and honest about that to anyone who may be a potential date that this is where I am at in life. And I would totally understand if someone felt they didn't want to take on someone who wasn't healthy. If you meet someone who has chronic health issues, it can be something very big to consider that you may possibly end up being this person's carer. It's different if you've been together for 10, 20 years and the person develops cancer or has a heart attack but in the beginning its something that can be very daunting and I wouldn't blame someone if they decided they didn't want to take it on.

On the other side of the coin though, if you fall in love with someone, accept that this is part of the person and decided its something you can deal with, well its your choice to go into this being aware that this is what you could be up for.

At the end of it, I guess its personal choice isn't it?
 IslandRaven
Msg: 106
Posted: 11/3/2011 2:39:28 AM

Wow I feel so bad for Americans, here in Australia we have a public health system. Okay its not brilliant but private health insurance is a choice rather than a must.

I agree , I am Canadian and having health insurance or not being able to afford healthcare is not an issue. Certainly our system is not without flaws but we are leaps and bounds ahead of The US in regard to healthcare among other things ....That said I can name every state and capital because we learn that in school......I'm still taken back by how little Americans know about Canada. I could name all the states and capitals because we learn that in school , im not sure a lot of Americans would know what direction to go to get here it is just something that has always puzzled me ....That said I agree with some of the posters. I don't think that someone else s health is your responsibility nor is knowing for sure someone is 100 percent healthy realistic. Many health issues come on quickly or are not diagnosed early on.
 SoBayNative
Msg: 107
Posted: 11/4/2011 1:38:48 PM
It doesn't have anything to do with falling in love in the US. It was just a bizarro post.
I remember 10 years ago I had a mammogram and there was a lump in my breast (btw the mammogram was requested one week and done the following week.) The doctor called me two days later had me come in the next day and walked me across the hall to the surgeon's office. This was on a Friday. I had a biopsy (i.e. the mass removed) that Monday. Two days later. The entire episode took less than 2 weeks. Canada can't come anywhere near that quality of care, nor the speed.
I'll stay with our system thanks. We just need to work on access for all.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 108
Posted: 11/4/2011 3:43:23 PM
Okay okay people, let's not turn this in to a battle of the countries thread or it may get axed.

Well renowned hospitals are found in several different countries,
reports of excellent above and beyond care can be found in several different countries,
etc. etc.

Yes, "having medical insurance" can be a different issue in different countries..
but how that may or may not effect a relationship,
or would we let it effect our outlook when 'looking' for a relationship,
is the subject here.

I'm not looking for a relationship from here at this time, but if I surprisingly meet someone I 'like' when I'm out and about, which has happened now and again.. I am not thinking "do they or don't they have medical insurance".

If a relationship grows between 2 people.. I kinda think each situation is individualistic and full of many variables.

But to those who say they would ask soon off and NOT think about a relationship growing if there were no health insurance.. well, you have the right to put a stop to it and that's your choice/preference, nothing wrong with sticking by our beliefs and choices.
 IslandRaven
Msg: 109
Posted: 11/5/2011 12:45:47 AM

Canada can't come anywhere near that quality of care, nor the speed.
I'll stay with our system thanks. We just need to work on access for all.

No problem , we can agree to disagree
 albinosquirlz
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2011 9:06:57 PM

Thank God for socialized medicine.
I love my OHIP!

We don't have socialized "medicine" in Canada...we have socialized medical "insurance".

The entire episode took less than 2 weeks. Canada can't come anywhere near that quality of care, nor the speed.
I'll stay with our system thanks.

You've been listening to too much propaganda.

First of all, it works on a triage system. My mother recently went through the same procedure as you, and it also happened in less than 2 weeks.

And if the US health care system were so superior, then how do you explain lower mortality rates for all cancers combined in Canada?

Never underestimate an American's ability to demand the most effed-up version...of anything.
 laskoboo
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2011 1:25:54 PM
Ready Real, if you already have a group insurance policy on yourself and grown children, adding him won't be much if any more, should the relationship go to marriage.
 Ready_Real
Msg: 112
Posted: 11/23/2011 2:11:23 PM
Many people over 45 have made the decision not to marry.
You're right though: for those with insurance who are hoping to re/marry this topic is moot.
 LuvADKs
Msg: 113
Posted: 11/23/2011 9:09:49 PM

This is one of the stupidest questions I have ever read on this.

Agreed.

What's next? If someone has bad gas after eating rice and beans - Dealbreaker?

OP - Go back to whatever planet you came from.
 albinosquirlz
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2011 10:29:52 PM

For us American's healthcare is the big debate at the moment. There are many out there who are not insured for one reason or another.

The "debate" is really just a way to make sure it is deluded to the point of being ineffective. The compromises involved render it useless.

And the problem is not confined to just all those people who have no health insurance. There are those who have to little coverage, as well as those who have too much. Then there's the transitory/temporary aspect of it.

If it is going to work, it needs to cover everyone, 100% of the time. And the only way to make that work is to have a single-payer system that does not have a profit motive. And the only way to have a single-payer system without a profit motive is to make it a public insurer.

In other words, the "people" have to decide to self-insure.

Overhead eats up 31% of the health money spent in the US system.
Overhead eats up 1% of the health money spent in the Canadian system.

Just consider how much time, effort and money is spent by your private health insurer to find ways to disqualify your claim, even when you have insurance. Then there are your doctors, hospitals and pharms that try to maximize your treatments. That's why the profit motive doesn't work in regards to health care.

Americans simply put too much blind faith in the idea of Capitalism, and that it is best when it is applied to absolutely everything. But the truth is, we are best off when some things are taken off that table....and health care is probably the most important one.

But Americans are always last to clue into anything. They still haven't switched to the metric system for christ's sake....so I don't see them jumping on the universal health care bandwagon. Too many Americans actually see it as "evil". But how do you talk sense to someone who thinks the planet is only 6000 years old and talks to imaginary, omnipotent beings.
 IslandRaven
Msg: 115
Posted: 11/24/2011 12:02:47 AM

Never underestimate an American's ability to demand the most effed-up version...of anything.

Indeed !
 htownmilkman
Msg: 116
Posted: 11/24/2011 5:05:32 AM
When will these relationships stop being a business deal and start becoming love deal.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2011 5:11:53 PM
In America, everything is an "issue".....do you have health insurance? How GOOD is your health insurance, blah, blah, blah, blah!

In the USA, only "people who are perfect in everyway" (seemingly) deserve relationships.

Canadians don't have these worries...
 12percenter
Msg: 118
Posted: 11/30/2011 11:04:47 PM
Sounds like it's another "about the money" thing to me.
 Paderic
Msg: 119
Posted: 12/1/2011 6:14:07 AM
Health insurance wouldn't be the issue. However, the issue would be with the underlying reasons behind them not being able to afford health insurance. At my age, it would be very difficult to go forward in a relationship with someone whose finances weren't in good shape.

When I was in my 20's and 30's, I wouldn't have given it any consideration.
 RIPTIDE59
Msg: 120
Posted: 12/1/2011 6:55:23 AM
No worries? The government can't even deliver the mail. Should you really trust them with your life/medical records?
 Ready_Real
Msg: 121
Posted: 12/1/2011 4:07:07 PM
This is one of the stupidest questions I have ever read on this.
Agreed.
What's next? If someone has bad gas after eating rice and beans - Dealbreaker?
OP - Go back to whatever planet you came from.

Earlier this week I learned of yet another hard-working middle class person -- a widow/er with four young adult children --- who is currently spending a good chunk of the family's income on housing. They are renting a house.

Why? Because after his/her insurance ran out, there wasn't enough money left to buy private insurance right away. Ironically two of the children needed medical care within the two years that the family had no medical coverage.
To the cost of over $30,000. S/he didn't have that kind of money.

The outcome??? The medical bills were paid. Their family house was what paid the bills. As s/he said, "They -- the doctors, the ambulance, the hospitals, the medical labs They have the right to get paid. And they don't hesitate to get their payment on their timetable. I just couldn't keep up with all the payments they expected."

And so they lost their house to pay their $30,000 medical bills.

And now two of the young adult children (like so many other adult "underemployed" or "unemployed" or "part time with no benefits employed") have had to move back home because they can't make it on their meagre job salaries. Like over 1/3 of all young adults in their 20's in this country these days.

Yes. This is happening. Here today in the US. On Planet Earth.
 911love
Msg: 122
Posted: 12/1/2011 4:46:26 PM
If health care cost keep increasing here it wont be an issue anymore cause no one will be able to afford it! If cost keep rising at the current level by 2014 it will cost a family 25,000 grand a year for insurance and a single person will be paying over 1,800 grand a year! If congress does not pass the Affordable Care Act we will all be in danger of no coverage. It will only be for the rich! Look it up here...
http://www.kff.org/
 alln2000
Msg: 123
Posted: 12/8/2011 12:22:58 PM
look if you think that h/s is about to kill over try and get some life insurance so it will make you fill better about going out with that person. so you will have some cash to heal your broken heart so you can start looking again....my god people can't we just live our life with out pouting more stress in it. if you like that person go out with them just dont buy there meds
 alln2000
Msg: 124
Posted: 12/8/2011 12:33:07 PM
look the government cant fix anything they try and tell stupid people that but the people dont want to hear what they are saying.its comeing to a point that you will ask the government how long you can live
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2011 12:47:14 PM
If you like them enough otherwise, just marry them and add them to your insurance. Problem solved.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > S/he has no health insurance. Dealbreaker?