Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > S/he has no health insurance. Dealbreaker?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 valenciacityx
Msg: 126
S/he has no health insurance. Dealbreaker?Page 6 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
"I am not a fan of the IRS, btw. Give me health issues, those are much easier to deal with."

You should be reconsidering the new ObamaCare Bill then, as the IRS is the data key holder, administrator, and regulator of policies, premiums, fines, and collections.
enjoy.
 barbiebabeRN
Msg: 127
S/he has no health insurance. Dealbreaker?
Posted: 12/10/2011 3:16:07 PM
Concider another thing, it is not all about being healthy, accidents do happen, lets say a skiing trip and you break a leg or hit by an uninsured motorist, even insurance plans have pay out limits. Dating someone without insurance is not a deal breaker for me. Honestly I would have to add it to my list of must haves. Emergency rooms have to treat you if they bring you in to the hospital either way. The hospital will put you on a payment plan to get their money. Co-pay or not. Hopeful they have the resourses to pay the bills.
 Mon Cherie
Msg: 128
Posted: 12/12/2011 10:34:37 PM
Wow, a new reason to turn someone down.

Luckily, in Canada, everyone can get healthcare if they need it.

Personally, I would not turn down someone who didn't have healthcare. Heck, if we got serious and moved in together I'd put him on my plan and visa versa anyways.

Vision is not 100% perfect, but other than that, we are both healthy. We do not smoke, are not overweight, and do not have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or anything life-threatening.

That's what we thought about my friend who passed away from breast cancer last year.
 astrosky
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2011 5:26:19 PM
Who says you have to get married? People can still have relationships of all kinds without legally binding themselves to that person, financially or otherwise. So if I fell in love with (or got very fond of) someone who had a bunch of ticking time bombs like health issues, unpaid debts, etc. I could still enjoy them as a person without "owning" their issues or trying to save them from their doom. We do have a choice as to what type of relationships we are willing to participate in - from FWB to dating every other weekend to cohabitation...none of which require us to go sit on someone else's time bomb or volunteer to be legally responsible for their hassles.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 130
Posted: 12/26/2011 8:15:23 PM
I have met a lot of men from here who are...
1) seriously unhealthy (terminally ill, heart attacks, strokes, needing major surgery)
2) bankrupt or in foreclosure
3) unemployed
4) dealing with legal issues (lost driver's license, owes $$ in child support)
5) living with a friend or about to be kicked out by current girlfriend/roommate...
and I can have compassion for what they are going through, and I will be their friend, but I am not about to date them because they are not ready to date, they are only ready to be distracted from their problems. They need to take care of their business first. It is not your job to fix their problems.
 hotmerlot
Msg: 131
Posted: 12/28/2011 5:53:23 PM
Why would you care? They don't send medical bills to girlfriends.

I would be more leery of getting involved with someone that is 'at risk' becuase of the heart break, not the bills.
 crackersnbed
Msg: 132
Posted: 3/15/2012 7:29:19 AM
Well you could move to Canada but I NEVER use my mediacal card-you can have it if you want it.
The chance of bad things happening to you is nil. Stay away from doctors and you will stay healthy...oh and eat well, walk everywhere, get some sun on your face and laugh everyday.
And dont worry-worry and fear will make you sick.
 bronzcoco
Msg: 133
Posted: 3/15/2012 9:41:59 PM
I am a Canadian, so this issue of no health insurance is not a concern for me. Unfortunately, OHIP does not cover every necessity, but it does cover a whole lot. Now, my choice is to meet someone whose health is not "at risk", but in all honesty, nobody knows what will happen to our bodies as we age. As a healthy woman with very healthy parents, I can assume that I will be able to maintain my health as I mature, but the body will do what the body wants no matter how mindful we are of our health.
 Balsamica
Msg: 134
Posted: 3/15/2012 10:08:51 PM
If you plan on marrying them, just add them to your family policy.

If you don't, its their concern.

I don't understand what the question is.
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 135
Posted: 4/7/2012 9:57:35 PM
There are no guarantees when it comes to health. They could be a superior athlete and and have a debilitating car accident. They could be a marathon runner and drop dead of a heart attack. You can't make assumptions based on body shape or size either. I'm a plus sized gal yet I've had one cold in 5 years. If a guy is looking at me as a future burden he needs to remember that I have managed my life just fine without him for 49 years.
 Lionesse19
Msg: 136
Posted: 5/11/2012 5:49:43 PM
if such a thing as health insurance stops you from pursuing a relationship with a great person you are pretty shallow and who is to say that you would have to pay their medical bills anyway?? If they are unhealthy it is usually their own doing and their own responsibility unless there is a genetic predisposition. High cholesterol is not the bogey man it is made out to be and high blood pressure can be medicated. If your children are on your health insurance, that is not a potential partner's business or concern. Why bother to think about marriage anyway at your stage of life? You must be American lol!
 GoldieLox0818
Msg: 137
Posted: 5/12/2012 11:07:17 AM
Not all of us can afford the insaine cost of health insurance! Just because we are on a date with you or show an interest doesn't mean we are looking for you to provide us with health insurance. Deal breaker??? That's absurd! The deal breaker should be that you have the nerve to post something so stupid!
 Sunshinelady555
Msg: 138
Posted: 5/12/2012 12:23:00 PM

At this st/age of your life, do you decide you can afford to pursue a relationship with him/her?

This would be a problem if you were going to Marry the Man. This is One of many reasons people do not
choose to Marry. I am not saying it is OK...but we all make our own Personal choices in Life. IMO
 OutInTheWoodSimpleLife
Msg: 139
Posted: 5/13/2012 10:48:00 AM
I agree. Healthy lifestyle, although highblood pressure can simply be genetically and age related. Excercise (not 'just the gym') but being active!

Proper diet: sounds good in print yet in practice is diffuclt to find. As an example; had one fellow tell me he doesn't eat any meat without the USDA stamp of approval! The food industry is in a mess with USDA/FDA approval. Having health insurance can not protect you from the grocery store shelves.

What is involved? As seperate individuals, one's health insurance or lack thereof has little to do with the other. When legally involved it very well may. I think you'd have had 'a few dates' before the issue of health insurance comes up - so what is the involvement?
 chrylann
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2012 5:13:03 PM
Not everybody who passes 45 is at risk for those things. It lifestyle that determines those illnesses in some cases. I'm 52 and always have normal blood pressure and always have normal cholesterol.
 Paderic
Msg: 141
Posted: 5/14/2012 5:56:01 AM
Not everybody who passes 45 is at risk for those things. It lifestyle that determines those illnesses in some cases. I'm 52 and always have normal blood pressure and always have normal cholesterol.

I had a heart attack last year at the age of 54, despite the fact that my risk factors were all very low. It can strike out of the blue.

The fact that I had health insurance saved me from some pretty substantial bills. My prognosis is excellent because of the treatment I received (also a little bit of good luck).

If I was without health insurance, it would have taken more than a few years to recover financially. I probably would have been reluctant to go to the hospital when I experienced the symptoms, which would have been a lethal mistake.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 142
Posted: 5/14/2012 7:25:47 AM
I don't think it's a deal breaker - there are many circumstances where this happens and some are temporary.

Some self employed people don't have health insurance as it's pricey and even though here in Canada, the cost can be written off against the business, there is of course the requirement to pay that money out first. I do have Health Insurance but there was a short period of time following my marriage split, where I did not. Plus people change jobs too - so again, there are times when they might not be covered until the new benefits kick in.

But by dating someone, you are not committing to take on their financial commitments. You are merely committing to spending some time learning about that individual. It's only after getting beyond that stage that this would even come up for most people, IMO.
 geoweb
Msg: 143
Posted: 5/14/2012 7:31:09 AM
I am going to take a big risk here, and attempt to hijack the thread back to the original topic.

No, Health Insurance should not be a dealbreaker, in the context of a first date! Yes, it could become a dealbreaker if the dating evolves into a relationship and the two of you cannot reach an agreement about how to deal with health issues. As any relationship develops, our individual circumstances such as housing, health care, employment, nationality, etc. become important and the ability to discuss and resolve such issues as a couple is critical to the longevity of the relationship. Any discussions of health insurance can wait until you at least decide if you like each other!
 BlokeInSydney
Msg: 144
Posted: 5/14/2012 6:15:50 PM
What a dreadful place to be in when you have to worry about the health insurance status of a prospective mate?

I'm not talking about the OP's attitude, I'm talking about the fact the US doesn't have a system of universal health care. If they did, the OP's concerns would be a moot point.

In Australia we have it and, although not perfect, it works and the situations the poster describes just don't come into play.

As for the poster, 58? I don't believe it, what a great profile pic. Active in mind and body, that's the way to be for sure!
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2012 8:57:25 AM
Unfortunately, we have to worry about whether or not our SO has health insurance, is paying child support, raising grandchildren, in foreclosure, etc., etc., etc.
 starofgaia
Msg: 146
Posted: 5/15/2012 9:15:24 AM

Vision is not 100% perfect, but other than that, we are both healthy. We do not smoke, are not overweight, and do not have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or anything life-threatening.

This can all change in car accident. Do you think you're less worthy of love once your SO splits because he doesn't want to keep his promise to you, after you became unhealthy?
 starofgaia
Msg: 147
Posted: 5/15/2012 9:17:10 AM
Because in the USA, people are viewed as commodities, not as deserving, living people - hence, the thoughtlessness of posters who pride their health as if it were one more accolade they could shelve. What an insidious state of affairs in which my USA is.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 148
Posted: 5/15/2012 7:35:04 PM

This can all change in car accident. Do you think you're less worthy of love once your SO splits because he doesn't want to keep his promise to you, after you became unhealthy?

Not at all. I simply chose not to get involved with a person that was currently unhealthy---which is a totally different situation than if my mate or I become unhealthy later in our relationship. Sure, there are no guarantees in life---but that doesn't mean I have to enter into a relationship where the odds are already stacked against us.

Because in the USA, people are viewed as commodities, not as deserving, living people - hence, the thoughtlessness of posters who pride their health as if it were one more accolade they could shelve. What an insidious state of affairs in which my USA is.

Perhaps if more people did take pride in their health by eating right and getting enough exercise, the state of affairs in the USA would be even less insidious---certainly, it would be a hell of a lot easier on the taxpayers.
 Paderic
Msg: 149
Posted: 5/16/2012 6:34:49 PM

When you love you love.

You get to decide how you love, and have no say in how others choose to love.
 Ready_Real
Msg: 150
Posted: 5/16/2012 7:13:20 PM

How about the "thoughtlessness" of smoking, alcohol and drug abusing, processed food consuming "living people" whose health is shot to hades by the time they hit their 40's because they've made the choices to embrace what is 100% clearly an unhealthy lifestyle for decades? Sure: they can choose to abuse their bodies in a democracy. But in abusing their bodies they continue to drain the health care system in the USA which is rapidly running dry.

I'd say it's these people who view themselves as "not deserving" ------ apparently of lives less prone so such physically debilitating (and yes: economically catastrophic) self-inflicted health conditions as lung cancer, liver disease, heart disease, and diabetes.

Perhaps if more people did take pride in their health by eating right and getting enough exercise, the state of affairs in the USA would be even less insidious---certainly, it would be a hell of a lot easier on the taxpayers.

Amen. It would also be a hell of a lot easier on the loved ones of these people.

And to clarify -- crystal clear clarify --- this post has absolutely nothing to do with those individuals whose health has been compromised by things out of their control, including accidents and genetics and things mostly still unknown such as ALS with which my loved ones lived up close and personal until the death of our PALS. So yes: some of us have indeed walked the walk and know only too well that talk is not all talk.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > S/he has no health insurance. Dealbreaker?