Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you pay for safety?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 26
Would you pay for safety?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
With that in mind, how safe are you being when you do meet someone or start dating? What kind of safety measures do you have in place other then meeting in a public place? Do you ask for a background check before getting serious with someone? I'm curious, to those who are the seasoned pof lifers...would you ever pay a membership fee of maybe $20 a year to have an annual background check done to see if it matches up with what you are saying. Almost like when applying for a job.

Wow. Well, safety procedures shouldn't be applied any more than someone else you meet thru a friend of a friend or at a bar, etc.

I can't imagine having kids and dating because I would be so incredibly protective of them.

Stop living in fear. :) Are you fearful to drive from 4-6PM because of an accident may occur (as opposed to just disliking traffic jams)?

Dating is not a dangerous game -- only dangerous for broken hearts, not limbs, if anyone's a decent judge of character. Now, if you're going to date someone from DudesInPrison.com or something, then yeah, you might want to have a lot of safety checks.
 Walts
Msg: 27
Would you pay for safety?
Posted: 10/28/2011 3:05:19 PM

What are you doing to protect yourself and your family?

I use my brain????? I don't know where people get the idea that "checks" of any kind are a guarentee of "safety" or "confirmation". Give somebody else some $$$$$ so they can come back and tell ya,,,,well, what are they telling ya????? Honestly, WHAT are THEY telling you????
 TDH49
Msg: 28
Posted: 10/28/2011 3:14:54 PM

That was Jason. But he was having an off night.
It was halloween night and he broke down on his way to a halloween party.
 mamamugg
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2011 3:28:23 PM

What every happen to good ole common sense? today especially in America before you go out on a date you will soon need a DNA sample, Psyche report, Clearance from Municipal, state and FBI, Homeland and the CIA , Doctors report and Credit bureau and toss in behavioral analyst from the Feds.

cdn iceman you forgot the question of whether or not one has health insurance as another thread is discussing, LOL!

All kidding aside, it all boils down to common sense...plain ole' simple horse sense as my grandma use to say...intuition, and go with your gut feeling!

One can always find that one in a million horror story...it is close to Halloween...
 SpringsDiver
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/28/2011 3:59:54 PM
If you share photos taken with a cell phone (and some cameras) that is GPS enabled, the location information can be embedded in the photo as what is known as EXIF data. So if you take a photo while at your house and share that photo, it is possible someone can access the EXIF data and obtain GPS coordinates of that location. It would be best to either disable the geotagging feature of the phone, or take your photos somewhere other than around your home, or only share photos that are taken with a camera that does not have a GPS function.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/28/2011 4:33:20 PM
"I'll be right back! (In my best "Scream" voice)....

Hey, if I can drive all over New England and DJ in nightclubs, bars and a few questionable places till all hours of the night and make it home OK after 25 + years, I think I can handle dating a guy here and there.

I can't imagine what it must be like to be a parent these days though.
 SpringsDiver
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/28/2011 4:56:52 PM
I did a test, and apparently when you upload a photo to POF, the EXIF data mentioned in the post above is deleted from the photo. It's still something to keep in mind if you share photos in other ways. Now if you really are concerned with safety, check out message 22 in this thread:

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts14053303.aspx
 bucsgirl
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2011 5:53:15 PM
Women can be just as dangerous as men. So both genders should employ reasonable safety measures, IMO.

It's not just meeting at a public place, it should be a place that you'd be comfortable going to and leaving alone. I leave the person's name and contact info with one of my grown kids, and contact them when I get home. I think this is important, to tell someone else where you're going and who you're meeting. And to call, or send them an email/IM/text when you get home.

If you can get someone's last name, then you can check on the sex offender database for free, or do a criminal background check fairly inexpensively. For a first meet, that may be a bit much, but if it's someone you're interested is continuing to see/date, then it'd be adviseable IMO.

One of the best safeguards is following your instincts. If something doesn't sound quite right, if you get that gut feeling, stay true to that. You should not only feel safe, but comfortable and if you're not, don't ever think it's being paranoid. It's a risk that's not worth taking.
 bodypro88
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/28/2011 6:03:36 PM
"Women can be just as dangerous as men."

I started a thread on this years ago and many women were saying the same thing. Why, I don't know. Maybe it made them feel better. Maybe women CAN be just as dangerous as men, but generally they are not and I will not supply the link; I won't even Google it. Yeah, I'm alert on the street, out in public. Because of my life, because of the jobs I've had. It's automatic, but big deal.

I'll tell you where women ARE particularly dangerous and that is as instigators.

I'm already sorry I posted this.
 DudeistPriest
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/28/2011 6:05:37 PM
Well, there's safe and there is paranoid and a fine line divides them, Where that line is is up to the individual. Everyone is entitled to take what steps they need to to feel comfortable
 bucsgirl
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2011 6:23:28 PM
"Maybe women CAN be just as dangerous as men, but generally they are not".

I totally agree, in fact, it's not opinion, it's easily statistically a provable fact. Thing is, that men can't just assume that women can't possibly pose a threat. Generally speaking, men tend to be a lot more unconcerned, or even lax in even considering their personal safety.

You may be surprised how many women are packing, or carry some type of weapon/mace/pepper spray and don't always use them in the way they're intended to be used. Another thing men don't even think about is the possibility the woman they're meeting may be involved and her boyfriend/husband/SO may just find a message or text. That's a potentially much more serious threat.
 Sahasrara
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/28/2011 8:04:21 PM
Wow, you sound like a fun date, Modivin. What do you tell guys on the second date? "Hey, I'd love for you come over and watch a movie but... would you mind first signing this release form so I can run your name through the bestiality sex offenders registry? I wouldn't ask but... you really can't be too careful these days, and... my dogs are female and they're in heat and flirtatious and very very cute... I guess you could say almost sexy to look at... I mean, from the right angle. So, do you need a pen and something to write on?"
 modivin
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/28/2011 8:23:26 PM

Wow, you sound like a fun date, Modivin. What do you tell guys on the second date? "Hey, I'd love for you come over and watch a movie but... would you mind first signing this release form so I can run your name through the bestiality sex offenders registry? I wouldn't ask but... you really can't be too careful these days, and... my dogs are female and they're in heat and flirtatious and very very cute... I guess you could say almost sexy to look at... I mean, from the right angle. So, do you need a pen and something to write on?"

That's actually on the 3rd date...right before we get down and dirty...see...its ok for the cat to be loving on me and for gerbils to be used during sex...but the dogs are strictly
NO PLAY ZONE

WanderingRain
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2011 9:43:41 PM
as women, the only sure fire weapon you have is time.
Just don't go leaping into anything. That's how a lot of bad things happen.

Time allows you to think clearly, reflect on your current situation....

If you're not in a rush, hucksters, liars and everyone in between will eventually slip up and show their true nature. Nobody can keep up a false self for very long. Eventually, they give themselves up.

But since this is a world which expects instant results, be prepared to be disappointed a lot.
 Sahasrara
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/9/2014 3:09:18 PM
Bump for convicted kitty molester sex offender background check consent release form dating info.
And badly needed dark comedy relief.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/9/2014 4:37:30 PM
Meeting in a bright, open, and busy public place is really all the safety measures that I ever needed.
I always parked my vehicle around the corner and typically arrived early to the date.
If anyone was to absurdly request last name, DOB, employer, SS#, and similar...I would burst out laughing. :-)
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/9/2014 4:42:11 PM
Bump for convicted kitty molester sex offender background check consent release form dating info.

Please sign at the X.

And badly needed dark comedy relief.

Dahmer, party of one?

(tortured animals as a child)
 sigungq
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2014 6:55:15 PM
OP, Americans are already paying DEARLY for their safety......... With their freedoms........
 gtomustang
Msg: 44
not always in terms of money
Posted: 8/10/2014 9:09:08 AM
recently, I've been toying with the idea of getting a Tshirt made that states: "Psychology is nice and all, but sometimes the problem is...you're an A$$hole." We are our own enemy, trying so hard to get what makes us feel good, we ignore reality right in front of us. many of the "what do I do with this guy?"questions can be answered with, "well, what do you do with an average looking guy treating you this way?" Or the guys whining they can't get laid could solve that problem...by getting rid of the superficiality.

don't risk what you can't afford to lose. I wouldn't have pics of my kids up, b/c that's not worth attracting some pedophile to my house. Its a low risk, but if it happens...its devestating. As for background checks, the best one is to shut the mouth and open the ears and don't be judgemental. Its amazing what people confess/unburden themselves with once they know you'll listen. they'll convince themselves you are in agreement, b/c you seem like such a cool dude, so you must be like them. Or they'll tell you their job, you figure out from experience what the pay is, and then listen for clues they are living within their means...or way past them.

the more you respect yourself, the safer you are, b/c you don't take the easy paths in life. you inconvenience yourself, not just in monetary ways, by passing up the easy lay, or going after the guy who seems too good to be true, or by doing something else that ignores the reality right in front of you to pursue a dream that doesn't exist.
 south_city
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/10/2014 10:19:26 AM
A complete background check would require SSN and other personal information. I'm not giving that info to a virtual stranger on a first date / meeting. I'm sure people that wanted a background check on their date wouldn't give their personal info to a virtual stranger either. A background check may not always be effective anyways. A person could have used an alias or is criminal that never got caught.
 sigungq
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2014 1:32:49 PM
Anyone who wants a BG check on me, can go to DISCO. I have a security clearance with the US government. The BG checks are quite thorough for those.
 Vannili
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2014 11:38:24 AM
Yes I would pay for safety dating POF guys, I will have 2 Bodyguards that are hunks and HULKs..

Just kidding!!!
 forums1
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/21/2014 7:19:47 PM

Anyone who wants a BG check on me, can go to DISCO. I have a security clearance with the US government. The BG checks are quite thorough for those.

Heh, had one a decade ago at an old job, but it's lapsed past the 5yr "fairly easy to reinstate" phase now and my next job I didn't need it... but yeah, in the words of Arlo Guthrie (Alice's Restaurant):

"Somewhere in Washington, enshrined in some folder, is a study in black and white of my fingerprints..." (and my life story/history, in great detail probably).
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/25/2014 1:10:12 PM

I just came across the profile of one 47 year old woman who would probably answer "yes".

In her About Me, she clearly states, " I like to do background checks".

NEXT !
 Jacob_2007
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/2/2016 6:35:25 AM
I have a question. A woman has asked me to sign up for safe date. Does anyone know if it's legit?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you pay for safety?