Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Woman pumps the gas while boyfriend sits in car      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 51
Woman pumps the gas while boyfriend sits in carPage 3 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

I don't get this...why can't a woman pump gas? It is not a dirty endeavor...nor does it work better when it is pumped by a man :) It's nice for a man to offer, but I would never feel slighted if he didn't.

If it was HIS car, and he ordered me pump his gas...well that's different. I would probably be laughing too hard to insert the nozzle.

Spot on.

I never mind when a man opens a door for me or displays other niceties. However, I have told men whom I was considering dating that I just mowed the lawn or cleaned the gutters on my house and they said, "If we were together, I would do that."

Whoa! I like to mow the lawn and I am capable of cleaning my gutters! Isn't whether or not I do those things MY decision?
 jojoaus
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Woman pumps the gas while boyfriend sits in car
Posted: 4/24/2012 4:48:59 PM
When we are in my car, I put in the petrol and pay for it. When in his, vice versa. Often he will clean my windscreen while I am busy paying or whatever, but not always. Sometimes we get petrol when he is driving my car (it is a manual and he enjoys having gears to play with occasionally.... lol) and I STILL do the necessary. I have never stopped to think about the gender politics of it all. Still can't quite understand the issues, but have enjoyed reading some funny replies :)
 singmespanishtechno
Msg: 53
Posted: 4/24/2012 5:27:01 PM
I prefer to gas up my own car too. Like it's some big huge freaking gift if he does it for me... not. It takes 30 seconds. If you want to help me out, go play with my son for a couple hours. THAT's helping me out.
Also it may sound odd but this reminds me of times I have been annoyed by people I was dating who always tried too hard to go out of their way to do silly trivial things like opening doors or pulling out chairs for me. A few times, fine. I mean if we are already dating and known each other a while, you dont ALWAYS have to do these things. I'm not some fragile little thing that's going to cry if i touch the door handle. Yet this one guy could never, ever understand why that would sort of bug me after a while. It was like enough is enough already. It was a habit and he could never stop doing it. Am i too picky, probably. But that and a few other things got really, really annoying over time :S
 Maleman999
Msg: 54
Posted: 4/26/2012 9:49:15 AM

Hell, I could'nt get my wife of 10 years to fill up her own vehicle, let alone pump my gas, while I sat in the car.

Same with me. Not only that, anything to do with her or my car- getting oil changes, repairs at a shop, washing, etc.-was my responsibility since it's a man's job (her words). I made the horrible mistake one day of doing the laundry, since I had the day off and she was working. All hell broke loose when she found out, because in her mind, men don't know how to do laundry and only women can do laundry properly. Laundry is a woman's job (her words).
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 55
Posted: 4/26/2012 10:55:52 AM

What is going on here?

Feminism in action.
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2012 5:50:43 PM
Feminism in action.

Why? Because a guy is putting down another guy for sitting in the passenger seat when the driver is pumping gas? This has absolutely nothing to do with feminism. Do you even know what feminism is or how ridiculous the original post sounds?

Like it's some big huge freaking gift if he does it for me... not. It takes 30 seconds. If you want to help me out, go play with my son for a couple hours. THAT's helping me out.

Well said. It's a freaking big deal because of an inferiority complex to some.
 cajuncooker
Msg: 57
Posted: 4/26/2012 9:30:42 PM
* she dosent pump her own gas
* she dosent load and unload groceries at all
*she dosent move heavy objects even though she can
* she dosent put on her own coat or take it off
* she dosent walk on the outside
* she gets her plate and takes the first bite of the meal.
* she dosent take the garbage out
*she dosent light her own smoke
* she dosent open her own door
* i pull out her chair
* she dosent fall asleep on the couch with out either being carried to be and tucked in or without being given a blanket and pillow and tucked in on the couch
* if its cold she get the jacket
* if she leaves or comes to a table I stand up
* never kiss and tell
* i try to never cuss in front of her and ask other men not to do the same.
those are just some of my rules i put on myself, weather she lets me or not another whole subject lol
 singmespanishtechno
Msg: 58
Posted: 4/26/2012 10:50:25 PM

she dosent fall asleep on the couch with out either being carried to be and tucked in or without being given a blanket and pillow and tucked in on the couch
* if its cold she get the jacket
* if she leaves or comes to a table I stand up

omfg........ that's all by her choice, or yours??

good god some people need to get a life. i would cringe if someone did those sorts of things for me. i cringe just reading this list....... lol
 vampyreshadow
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2012 2:26:26 AM
You sure all these times were a girl with a boyfriend, not just a guy friend, I drive allot of males around. Not a darn one of them is my boyfriend, never been intimate, etc, sometimes Ill go in and buy snacks, they don't want to come in so they sit on their butt in the car and wait, if I am pumping gas, its my darn atm, so they (no matter how much they offer) aren't doing my gas. I know quite frequently someone has commented that one of these guys is my boyfriend, despite the fact that we are just talking and hanging out. (Not that I would be to upset if I had to pump my own gas with a boyfriend, I do it all the time, its not that hard)

Actually pork rinds and mountain dew it very likely could be me and a male friend going to a lan party :P
 Della D
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/27/2012 6:18:41 AM
Guess I'm kinda late posting here.

However, I've never wasted a thought on this issue. If I drive my car, I fill the tank, regardless who's on the passenger seat.

And OP, how do you know whether the person on the passenger is in fact the b/f of the driver/gas pumper? Maybe it's a coworker or acquaintance whom the driver just gave a lift?
 starofgaia
Msg: 61
Posted: 4/27/2012 6:36:51 AM
Pork rinds and Mountain Dew, eh? What is it you're really trying to say, sir? hehe.
 Maleman999
Msg: 62
Posted: 4/27/2012 8:16:49 AM

if I am pumping gas, its my darn atm, so they (no matter how much they offer) aren't doing my gas.

Good point. A lot of people (me included) don't use cash when buying gas. Other people, no matter who it is, should never get your card PIN number.
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2012 1:48:56 PM
I only have one rule and that is to treat people with respect and be kind to them when it comes from your heart REGARDLESS of their gender and without expecting anything back in return. That is super hot!

Whether you are a woman or a man, if you are going to open the door for someone, give your jacket to someone, treat some one for a drink or lunch, pump someones gas... do it for both genders and only because you want to give, because you know it would be appreciated, not because it’s expected or because it makes you feel good about yourself without any consideration to the other persons preference or need.

Simple really.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 64
Posted: 4/27/2012 2:13:49 PM

Why? Because a guy is putting down another guy for sitting in the passenger seat when the driver is pumping gas? This has absolutely nothing to do with feminism. Do you even know what feminism is or how ridiculous the original post sounds?

Do you even know what a humorous commentary is?

The OP asked what was going on there, as if a woman should never, or is incapable of, doing the things that he considered a "man's job." To the best of my recollection, part of feminism maintains that women are just as capable as men in whatever they choose to do.
 Jerilyn
Msg: 65
Posted: 4/27/2012 8:03:52 PM
Chivalry is dead. I've seen this and many things along the same line, including men standing by to watch while a woman is struggling to lift/carry something heavy as if it doesn't even occur to them to help her. My mom always looked to her father as an example of a real man, and said that real men don't exist anymore. I have to agree... or at least to the fact that they are a dying breed.

There IS something sickening about seeing a man sit on his butt while the woman is doing certain things, and waiting on him needlessly ... no matter how some women will try to justify it... it's just nasty.
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 66
Posted: 4/27/2012 8:40:44 PM
OP _ its not about chivalry - its about a guy being lazyyyyy

pumping the gas and so forth is in my book, akin to open doors for a gal...you're the guy...just do it...
 jojoaus
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2012 10:11:13 PM
I wonder what the OP thinks of me changing the oil in my own car while my SO watches on and hands me rags etc??? (I do it because a) I am too mean to pay someone else to do it and b) because I can :D )
 ArticLife
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2012 6:26:35 PM
I don't like the typical gender roles. Whatever works for that couple works for them.

If you prefer a more traditional role, that's fine. There are plenty of girls who want to be taken cared of too. I'm just glad that's not all there is to find out there anymore.
 bay_shore
Msg: 69
Posted: 4/29/2012 10:59:41 AM
If it's my car, I will usually pump the gas. Regardless of who is in the car with me. Besides the male passenger isn't necessarily her boyfriend or husband. It could be a co-worker, relative, neighbor, a platonic friend etc.
 playfulpete
Msg: 70
Posted: 4/29/2012 1:13:42 PM
I knowl what you are saying and your right.The way i look at is if it is her car,its her job to put the gas in,also check oil and all that good stuff that comes with owning a car.If a ladie doesn,t want to do that then don,t drive.As for her getting the bofreind his goodies,he should get up off his bum and do it himself and she should tell him
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 71
Posted: 4/29/2012 1:55:18 PM
If it's my car and I am paying for the gas, I'm doing the pumping. If it's his car, he can pump his own gas. If he offers to pump gas for me when we're in my car, that's fine, polite and welcomed. No big deal.

I really love to drive so it would usually be my car if we're going on a road trip. Past SOs have said how refreshing it is for them to be in the passenger seat, looking at the scenery for a change, instead of being expected to do all the driving.
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2012 3:41:46 PM

The way i look at is if it is her car,its her job to put the gas in,also check oil and all that good stuff that comes with owning a car.If a ladie doesn,t want to do that then don,t drive.

Why? If a "ladie" pays for the services she can choose to have her gas pumped for her and have her oil checked or she can do it herself. She can do anything she likes, whenever she likes it, however she likes it, as often she likes it. Checking oil is not a fricken big deal. However, if you don’t know how to check your oil you can do the same. You could also hire someone to proofread your posts before posting them if punctuation and spelling is not something you were able to learn in high school.

As for her getting the bofreind his goodies,he should get up off his bum and do it himself and she should tell him
Or maybe you could speak for yourself and let people be happy with what they choose to do.
 playfulpete
Msg: 73
Posted: 4/30/2012 2:12:09 PM
I am more then happy to help a ladie out,any time i can.To me me that is what a man is for,how ever a lady should know how to fill up her car and at least know the basics.Just like a man should know how to cook and clean.If i am out doiing laundry becouse i don,t have a washer/dryer does a women do it for me.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 74
Posted: 4/30/2012 4:56:36 PM
Have you ever considered the fact that there are women in the world who refuse to let a man pump gas for her?
 Texan_Gal
Msg: 75
Posted: 5/1/2012 9:28:14 AM
This is actually the first I'm hearing of it actually being expected for a guy to pump the gas for my car. Wow. When I was in a long-term relationship, never did I expect for my boyfriend to get out and pump my gas for me. If we were in my car, I was paying and I was pumping. If we were in his car, he was paying and he was pumping. The only time I've ever thought I might need some male assistance when pumping gas is that darn compressed pump at Shell where you need to push down hard on the nozzle and keep it pushed.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Woman pumps the gas while boyfriend sits in car