Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Woman pumps the gas while boyfriend sits in car      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BBEisBack
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Woman pumps the gas while boyfriend sits in carPage 7 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

"Back in the dizzle", when dinosaurs roamed the earth, getting sex took a modicum of skill (the girls weren't just falling over with their legs in the air), and the world still had pointy edges, it was NOT seen as masculine to be chauffeured around by some broad. Young men WANTED to be in the driver's seat. Everyone in my crew had driver's licenses at 17 (even the guys who didn't have their own cars). Nowadays, it is not uncommon for guys well into their 20's not to have licenses (they're suspended, revoked, etc.)

Hey, they get exactly what they deserve. This is what happens when there's no father in the house. No way in HELL my daughter is driving some slacker around.

I spent 35 years pushing Big Rig Trucks around. I probably put miles on per Day, than You do in a Week....
When I got Home, I didn't feel like driving. My late Wife liked to drive, specially a Car with a Manual Transmission.
What She didn't like to Drive was Mountain or Snowy Roads, so when we would go to Reno, I'd drive the Twisties part of the Trip.

If some Dweeb on the Internet doesn't like Our Arrangement, He can Kiss My Lily White AZZ......

You can take Your Judgmental Attitude & Stick it Where the Sun don't Shine.....
 kj521
Msg: 119
Woman pumps the gas while boyfriend sits in car
Posted: 10/6/2015 6:32:49 PM
Chivalry is not dead.....it resides in many individuals and manifests itself at unexpected times.

Here is cute but sad story.....

The day my late husband, who battled two different cancers, woke up confused and not making much sense, I called his doctor. It was decided to bring him in to see the doctor to have him assess the situation. At this point my husband could not stand and required the use of a wheelchair and much assistance. I put him and the kids in the car and, of course, as I drove off....I noticed we needed gas. When we stopped to get gas....bless his heart....my husband was trying to get out and pump the gas. At the time, I did not find it so cute....as I was trying to run into the store to get some things for the kids....pump gas and watch him. I had to have our daughter who was ten at the time....guard the car door to make sure he didn't try to get out. I look back at that very moment and see.....that even as my husband's body was shutting down....as that was the day before he passed away....he was trying to make things easier for me. Imagine that.....he was dying and in great pain but wanted to help me by pumping the gas. That is love and a chivalrous act that happens when you least expect it. Those momemts are what make life worth living, imo. :)
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 120
Posted: 10/6/2015 6:44:50 PM
This thread goes back a few years!

I have never once even thought about having a boyfriend pump gas. If I am driving and I need to stop and get gas, then I get out and pump it. I've never once expected a guy to come around and open the door for me if I was the passenger. I'd also be totally OK with going into a store and picking up something he might need inside. That stuff wouldn't bother me.

However, I do recall one event where I could have used some help and I did not get it. I was out hiking with an ex, we were still friends...and as I was putting on my shoe I lost my grip on the car bumper and fell down on my rear. Instead of reaching down with a hand to help me up, he just stood there and looked at me. THAT I felt. Just needing a helping hand up and getting nothing. And that really encapsulated in many ways why I decided we were better off as friends, not lovers...the fact that he could not "be there for me" when I needed help..it was very symbolic. Just no gesture of caring and consideration offered.

That was the last time I did any activity with him as well.
 south_city
Msg: 121
Posted: 10/6/2015 8:36:17 PM
When I'm in a relationship I would pump gas in my car and she would often pump gas in her car. Not a big deal. It's not strenuous labor. As for getting something in a store, she might know exactly where it is while I may have to look for it. Thus it would quicker for her to get it.
 474bluemoon
Msg: 122
Posted: 10/6/2015 9:18:53 PM
I'm with KJ and Blueeyes on this. We did the who ever drives picks the radio station or pumps gas or runs into the store. It was never a big deal. Then one day we stopped at the store on the way home and he said "can you run in, I feel like crap" so I ran in and bought milk and dropped some money into the bucket the Air Cadets had and grabbed a poppy for Remembrance Day as hubby always did that. We drove a couple blocks home, got settled in and he had a massive heart attack.

So yea, I could give a shit who pumps gas or runs into the store for snacks. In the big picture, do whatever works for you as a couple. I know there are days I sit in my car and would love to have someone pump the gas and I also know I'd love to bark "can't you pick your damn socks up" and have someone respond with a "yes Dear" in a snarky tone back.

Mountains out of mole hills.

Do what works for the two of you and to hell with what some stranger at a gas station thinks.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 123
Posted: 10/7/2015 2:08:09 PM
RDtoo- I've never considered it a "mans job" to pump gas.
Usually, whoever is driving pumps the gas.
If we are getting something other than gas, I will usually go in and buy whatever we need and pay for the gas.
If I'm the one driving, they do the same.
The only thing I can count on is having doors opened for me, but I'm in the south. :)
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 124
Posted: 10/7/2015 2:37:29 PM
474bluemoon---where'd she go!?!---

I know there are days I sit in my car and would love to have someone pump the gas

I go to the 'Full Service' pump. A friendly person pumps my gas, washes my windows, checks my oil and tire pressure.
And Thanks ME! (Of course I thank them, too)

I get my pampering where I can~ ;-)
 BBEisBack
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2015 3:47:35 PM

RDtoo- I've never considered it a "mans job" to pump gas.
Usually, whoever is driving pumps the gas.
If we are getting something other than gas, I will usually go in and buy whatever we need and pay for the gas.
If I'm the one driving, they do the same.
The only thing I can count on is having doors opened for me, but I'm in the south. :)

If we were out & about, most the time I would pump the Gas, if my Wife was driving.....
Most times I would go into the store with her, too.....
I wanted to pick out my own candy bar, they might have one that most places don't carry anymore....

As for 17 yo males, yeah I wanted to do the Driving... It was all new & Exciting, then.....

When I got Older, it was Nice to let someone I trusted, shared the Driving Duties...
If We took My Big 4x4 Pickup, then most likely, I'd do all the Driving.....
If it was snowing or had snowed, I'd be Driving, I was better at that part......

ETA: We went to the self serve lane, because it was that much cheaper... Why pay someone else for what I can do easily?
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2015 4:37:24 PM

Ok, I know for a fact that I am old school, but here is something I do not get. For about the 2000th time today, I watched a woman pump gas while her boyfriend sat on his butt in the passenger seat. I have also watched women go into a convience store and pick up pork rinds and mountain dew for her boyfriend sitting in the car. What is up with this? What happened to chivalry? Maybe I am just outdated at 49 but I have never sat in the car and had a woman pump gas, no matter if she was driving, or go in the store and buy me snacks. What is going on here?

Really, these days it should be a good thing if a woman is treated as an equal such that her man doesn't think that her pumping the gas and going into the store is something to notice as out of the ordinary. What would irk a woman, and justifiably so, is a man thinking that she isn't supposed to do that or isn't just as capable. If it's not a case of the man being lazy or inconsiderate...just isn't offering to do something...but instead it's just that they both think of it neutrally and don't care who does what and are both willing to do whatever needs to be done at any given time, then that is a good state of things.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 127
Posted: 10/7/2015 6:49:18 PM
BBEisback- You should see some peoples reactions when I drive up in my Ford F150.
I love my truck, it has no a/c, but it runs and it's paid for, besides, no a/c gives me an excuse to ride with the window down and my radio playing my favorite songs. ;)
 Blackwood85
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2015 7:55:37 PM

Really, these days it should be a good thing if a woman is treated as an equal such that her man doesn't think that her pumping the gas and going into the store is something to notice as out of the ordinary. What would irk a woman, and justifiably so, is a man thinking that she isn't supposed to do that or isn't just as capable. If it's not a case of the man being lazy or inconsiderate...just isn't offering to do something...but instead it's just that they both think of it neutrally and don't care who does what and are both willing to do whatever needs to be done at any given time, then that is a good state of things.

This.

Really who cares who pumps the gas? And grabs the snacks? I hear things like chivalry coming from the older generation and then I find out those same guys cheated on their wives and girlfriends but hey it all good because they held the door open for them, that's the damn decent of them I guess.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 129
Posted: 10/7/2015 7:58:07 PM
A man being chivalrous is probably the only reason to bother with men. It warms our heart and shit. Women can do everything else for themselves today, and we do. Nothing was sweeter than when an old gentleman who had trouble walking, held a door for a young broad like me. For real... I make my own money, drive my own car, and an orgasm is achievable in two minutes without leaving the damn house.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 130
Posted: 10/7/2015 9:12:07 PM

A man being chivalrous is probably the only reason to bother with men. It warms our heart and shit. Women can do everything else for themselves today, and we do. Nothing was sweeter than when an old gentleman who had trouble walking, held a door for a young broad like me. For real... I make my own money, drive my own car, and an orgasm is achievable in two minutes without leaving the damn house.

So tell me, what would be a man's only reason to bother with women? We make our own money, drive our own cars, and orgasms in the solitude of the house are just as achievable (and many are more enjoyable).

I already know the answer, and it isn't favorable for women.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 131
Posted: 10/7/2015 9:19:49 PM
^^^Dunno... to have kids and continue the bloodline?
 BBEisBack
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2015 9:31:43 PM

Funny, I had a GF tell me, that her shower-head & toys weren't as much fun, after She was with me......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22QYriWAF-U
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2015 4:19:07 AM

A man being chivalrous is probably the only reason to bother with men

what would be a man's only reason to bother with women?...

Real sad. If you don't have any other reasons for wanting to be with a man/woman...real sad.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 134
Posted: 10/8/2015 9:55:29 AM
And the problem is? ? ? ?
 ClooneysMentor
Msg: 135
Posted: 10/8/2015 11:13:56 AM

an orgasm is achievable in two minutes without leaving the damn house.

That's way too fast!

I'm sure your pearl polishing techniques provide for more quantity then my quality stalactite producing maneuvers.

Yeah, it's the whole bottle of wine and lubriderm vs. first date cost benefit analysis...
 sealady111
Msg: 136
Posted: 10/8/2015 3:48:48 PM
The few occasions where when I have driven into the petrol station and the man in my passenger seat has pumped the petrol are so rare that they are notable.

It feels lovely.

The men who have done this for me have been, without fail, country boys.
The sort who get out to open a gate.
It is just the norm.
Age is not a limitation.

They also automatically open a door and walk on the road side of the walkway.
Automatically pick up and carry shopping or anything heavy.
Light a fire, row the dinghy, do the anchoring, chop the wood. .
Offer to make a cup of coffee, pour a glass of wine and take over the BBQ.

It is such a pleasure to be in their company.

One of the many reasons I love men.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2015 4:11:54 PM

You easily could have held the door open for an old man who can barely walk. I'm hoping you at least assisted in opening said door.

Personally I hold the door open for everyone because that's the polite thing to do not because they have lady parts. If someone behind I'll hold the door open for them. If someone is behind me at a checkout line and they only have one or two items they can go in front of me, if I'm buying a bunch of shit.

As for pumping gas, it's never something I paid much attention too, some people don't want you messing with their cars, some people don't care and some people do. If it's my car and she's driving I'll put my own gas in, if it's her's she'll pump the gas, maybe the other person goes inside and pays for it unless we're using a card at the pump. Buying snacks is whatever. She's not helpless, I think she's capable of putting gas in her own car and going inside and buying herself a bottled water and a bag of chips.

My car door unlocks and locks by remote entry, so I don't open the door for them, I hit the button, door unlocks and they get in. Now if I'm already in the car then I'll reach over and unlock it for them. I'm not laying my jacket down to cover a puddle, just step over the puddle or avoid it completely, now I'm out of jacket that's been on a dirty street covered in water with a footprint on it and I liked that jacket that I spent a lot of money on and now officially wasted money on on top of that I'm ****ing cold now because I don't have a jacket on because it's dirty, damp and I'm freezing my balls off because I don't have a jacket but hey your feet aren't damp, it's all about you isn't it? ALL about you?
 NJgirl116
Msg: 138
Posted: 10/8/2015 4:54:14 PM
No, I didn't. At that moment, he wanted to be a man, not a grandpa.

Clooney: no lubricant no wine, I'm on a budget.
 Kay9876
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2015 5:07:18 PM

Msg. 220: …He was trying to make things easier for me. Imagine that.....he was dying and in great pain but wanted to help me by pumping the gas. That is love and a chivalrous act that happens when you least expect it. Those momemts are what make life worth living.

KJ, your story is heartwarming. Thank you for sharing.

I’d give about anything to be in a loving relationship with a man like that. Love and romance are seen and secured not in grand gestures, but in day-to-day moments.
 Brisco414
Msg: 140
Posted: 10/8/2015 5:16:00 PM
My dad owned a service station. All four of us girls thought it was fun to pump gas and learned before we could even drive -- probably not a good idea due to everyone smoking and all. That was back in the day when it was full service and the car ran over the bell for the service guy to come out and do it for you.

I never thought about having a man get out and do it for me, it's just something that is normal for me to automatically do. But have to say, the men that have been in my car have always been a gentleman and pumped the gas.
 BBEisBack
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2015 5:33:42 PM

The men who have done this for me have been, without fail, country boys.
The sort who get out to open a gate.
It is just the norm.
Age is not a limitation.

You have 3 Cowboys riding in the front bench seat of a pickup truck......
The smart one is Riding in the Middle........
Cause he doesn't have to Drive, & he doesn't have to Open the Gate...... :p

walk on the road side of the walkway.

I walk with the lady on My Left, doesn't matter where the Road is......
When asked & explained, none have ever had a problem with this.....
I'm Strongly Right handed, & My Right Arm is My Sword Arm....
My left Arm is used to move Her to a Position of Safety....
Moving thru a Crowd, I hold her hand in My left, & use my Right hand to part the Seas....

If that makes me, not a Gentleman, so be it.... I was & will always think as a Military Man.....

ETA: I would hope that My 29 yo Daughter would get up & give Her Seat to a Elderly Gentleman, on Public Transportation, or such..... If He protested, I would Hope She would remain standing. Because one part of the Equation is the respect shown by a Man to a Woman... The other part is the Respect of a Younger Person, shown to the Elderly....
 Blackwood85
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2015 6:40:07 PM

No, I didn't. At that moment, he wanted to be a man, not a grandpa.

He is a man but he's also a grandfather.

My grandmother is a 68 year old breast cancer survivor who has arthritis in her wrist, she can't do the same things she did 20-30 years ago

On my Dad's side is an 83 year old man, who worked at a dealenrship for 40 years as a mechanic, he liked to fix up cars and sell them on the side. He always tries to do things by himself and he's been getting himself hurt a lot, he's a man but he's an elderly man in his 80s. What good is it to try and feel like a man when afterwards you need help getting back up because you hurt yourself trying to do something physical that you really had no business doing?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Woman pumps the gas while boyfriend sits in car