Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  > Statements in profiles that make you say "NEXT!"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mateo45
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Statements in profiles that make you say NEXT!Page 5 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
Or at least the conservative guys says HELP! when the liberal comes out with the whips and chains!

LOL!! Which reminds me of that joke:
Q. What do you call a conservative guy begging for half an hour?
A. "Foreplay"!
 RockDr.
Msg: 102
Statements in profiles that make you say NEXT!
Posted: 12/28/2011 11:57:11 PM
Hiya Zac, how are you doing?

I think what makes me say "NEXT" is not so much a particular statement in a guy's profile but it's more the way the profile is written overall. If it's written with little or no concern for correct spelling and proper grammar (not counting the occasional typo), I have to think the guy will probably display the same lack of effort when he arrives at our first meeting. But...don't rush out and clean up the mistakes in your profile. A lot of women like that unshaven, sweaty, dirty-hands, type of guy. Depends on what kind of partner you're trying to attract I guess.

Fancy
 JamesHermes
Msg: 103
Posted: 12/29/2011 5:53:16 AM

Let's not go overboard. I'm all for gun control, but you don't report someone to the police for wanting to learn how to shoot a gun.

I agree that there's nothing wrong with "I'd like to learn how to shoot a gun" on it's own that would require reporting anyone to the police.

But that's not what was said.

The problem is "I'm having marital problems and I'd like to learn how to shoot a gun." That's reasonable cause to report someone.

That's like saying "I want to kill my spouse, can you help me?"
 JamesHermes
Msg: 104
Posted: 12/29/2011 7:01:40 AM

I think what makes me say "NEXT" is not so much a particular statement in a guy's profile but it's more the way the profile is written overall. If it's written with little or no concern for correct spelling and proper grammar (not counting the occasional typo), I have to think the guy will probably display the same lack of effort when he arrives at our first meeting. But...don't rush out and clean up the mistakes in your profile. A lot of women like that unshaven, sweaty, dirty-hands, type of guy. Depends on what kind of partner you're trying to attract I guess.

You could be passing up a really great guy who simply has a learning disability. Or, like me received a crap education and had to basically teach myself outside of school. My education in school was reviewing the same stuff every year from the 3rd grade all the way threw high school. Anything new I ever learned was self taught. The internet is great, Dictionary.com for English, Google Maps for geography, yahoo news for social studies or current events, ect. These are just examples. Point is lack of spelling and grammar does not equal lack of effort...

Unless of course they type like a texting teenager over using abbreviations like saying "u" instead of "you" then it's a lack of effort.
 RockDr.
Msg: 105
Posted: 12/29/2011 9:55:02 AM
Lack of spelling and grammar might not equal a lack of effort in the scenario you describe James but, it would seem to indicate poor judgement. A person should not pick a dating platform that by its very design showcases their weaknesses. I certainly would not show up at a tattoo convention and think I was going to be a hit with my unadorned bare skin.

Sorry to hear about your educational experiences but congrats on rising above it on your own. What statements in a woman's profile makes you want to say "NEXT" ?

Fancy
 RunningFool7
Msg: 106
Posted: 12/29/2011 6:52:33 PM
"I hate drama." <--tells me you're surrounded by it. No thanks.
 JamesHermes
Msg: 107
Posted: 12/30/2011 5:59:04 AM
I certainly would not show up at a tattoo convention and think I was going to be a hit with my unadorned bare skin.

They'd probably assume you wanted to get your first tattoo or that you had tattoos in places that can't be seen in public. In any case a convention of any kind isn't going to be for everyone but everyone needs to find love right? And part of that is accepting their flaws as well as their strengths. Again that means over looking spelling and grammar.

What statements in a woman's profile makes you want to say "NEXT" ?

I only have one. If I see loves tattoos and/or piercings in her profile I go NEXT! Though that's usually not a statement, I can see in her profile picture if she has any unless they're in places that can't be seen in public.

They just creep me out. I have friends who are like that which is fine but I can't get intimate with someone like that.

I don't even like ear piercings but it's more easy to accept them. I don't have to touch them. Long hair kind of covers them most of the time. I doubt I'll find many girls who don't have them. Having piercings anywhere else on her face then I can't even look at her without being slightly creeped out. I ain't touching that.

I know beauty is only skin deep and it's what's on the inside that counts but I don't think that applies when you permanently alter your appearance. I prefer natural looking women. I don't like make-up either but that's not a permanent change so I'm not against it... well as long as she isn't wearing cheap nasty tasting lip stick. :P

Oh... I just found another one. Girls, don't put up pictures of yourself with a man standing right next you in the bathroom and expect anyone to want to date you. Seriously what was this woman thinking posting that picture. Well they were both drinking so I guess she was still drunk when she uploaded it. Yeah she's totally single, NOT!
 fra59e
Msg: 108
Posted: 12/30/2011 1:22:53 PM
Funny thing that one detail missing from these posts is the fact that is expressed by the old cliché - behind every man there is a good woman. My son is married to an Italian woman and it is pretty obvious that she devotes a great deal of her time and effort to help move him forward. A man who can find a woman like that is lucky indeed. Because she is part of his life, he is achieving much more than he ever would without her. It seems he knows he has married a jewel and my guess is they will never part. They are both doing way better than they would without working together as team.
 RockDr.
Msg: 109
Posted: 12/30/2011 5:52:40 PM

Funny thing that one detail missing from these posts is the fact that is expressed by the old cliché - behind every man there is a good woman. My son is married to an Italian woman and it is pretty obvious that she devotes a great deal of her time and effort to help move him forward. A man who can find a woman like that is lucky indeed. Because she is part of his life, he is achieving much more than he ever would without her. It seems he knows he has married a jewel and my guess is they will never part. They are both doing way better than they would without working together as team.

Another missing detail from all the posts is the fact that although the sun is larger than the moon it is further away.
 matchlight
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2011 12:12:39 PM

A lot of women like that unshaven, sweaty, dirty-hands, type of guy.

Unshaven, sweaty, dirty-hands women, maybe? A match made in heaven!
 KAKI3152
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2011 3:44:09 PM
T o get back on topic:

Bad grammar and poor spelling...
Inked and proud of it (not crazy about tattoos)
White only. Counts me out...
Looking for a generous man...
Talks about politics and religion.
Looking for my last first kiss. Overdone
 mateo45
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2011 5:08:22 PM
Any kind of "legalese" or attorney-generated "fine print" in their profile! And no doubt down the line, that probably means there'll be a "pre-nup" too!! ;-p

Same goes if I have to go thru some sort of "authorization" or "security process" just to call or send 'em an email. BTW, which also kinda reminds me of the ones who have a Restraining Order on their ex (you know, the type that doesn't "create" drama... they just happen to "attract" it)!!!!!
 JamesHermes
Msg: 113
Posted: 1/1/2012 12:51:18 AM
I thought I'd list this one just because I sent a message to a girl who in her profile says she always responds to messages. I figure that means I have a chance or even if it's a rejection message she'll still send me something rather than just ignoring it. Well it's been over a month and I haven't heard from her so that's a lie.
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 114
Posted: 1/1/2012 2:33:47 PM
James, don't let that get to you, man. Just keep going forward.
My pal lent me a book on how to make it with women, kind of creased-up and smudged on the chapter dealing with the sex part, what's up with that? But anyway, the book says that women like to have fun, so for us to be attractive to them, WE have to be fun too.
POF is all about words and photos, right? I wasn't blessed with so many good looks, so I have to use words. Just be cute, and sweet and FUNNY !!! Girls like that, even the sixty-somethings that write to me, they like it too!!
So be cute and charming, and write to a whole bunch of them. It's not like POF charges you by the message. If that were true, I couldn't afford to actually meet anyone. My percentage is about a 2, but I send a lot of messages, so eventually I get lucky.
Try it, Dude,, and have FUN with it.
 tedhpeterson
Msg: 115
Posted: 1/1/2012 3:21:26 PM
I hate the fruitcakes that say they will "put God first". Hey, fruitcake, how can you put something that doesn't exist FIRST before a REAL PERSON?

Big, huge turn-off.

I can't date people that have imaginary friends, anyhow.
 RockDr.
Msg: 116
Posted: 1/1/2012 4:20:11 PM

I hate the fruitcakes that say they will "put God first". Hey, fruitcake, how can you put something that doesn't exist FIRST before a REAL PERSON?
Big, huge turn-off.
I can't date people that have imaginary friends, anyhow.

Whoa, that should get a few responses!
Mail Settings (To message tedhpeteron you MUST meet the following criteria.)
Must not have imaginary friends.
Must not be made mostly of fruit.
 tedhpeterson
Msg: 117
Posted: 1/1/2012 5:16:49 PM

Whoa, that should get a few responses!
Mail Settings (To message tedhpeteron you MUST meet the following criteria.)
Must not have imaginary friends.
Must not be made mostly of fruit.

: D :D

What pisses me off is that PoF doesn't have the choice of "atheist". Instead, all they have is this "non religious" garbage. Who DOES that? So now, there's these lunatics that believe in a god and then choose "non religious" because they think they AREN'T religious: They just believe in their invisible sky-daddy.
 mateo45
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2012 5:32:01 PM
Come on Ted, aren't you being just a bit too hard on the "believers"? They've got a right to want what they want too, and in fairness, is a belief in a "sky-daddy" really any different than believing that there ain't one?! After all, unless you're an agnostic instead of an "atheist", then it's the same issue regardless whether it's a fundamentalist christian or a "fundamentalist" atheist... they're both still basically just "beliefs", with no real "proof" to back up either of them?!
 JamesHermes
Msg: 119
Posted: 1/1/2012 8:31:51 PM

What pisses me off is that PoF doesn't have the choice of "atheist". Instead, all they have is this "non religious" garbage. Who DOES that? So now, there's these lunatics that believe in a god and then choose "non religious" because they think they AREN'T religious: They just believe in their invisible sky-daddy.

Atheist IS non-religious. If someone believes in God but puts down non-religious anyway I'd call that person a liar.

Come on Ted, aren't you being just a bit too hard on the "believers"? They've got a right to want what they want too, and in fairness, is a belief in a "sky-daddy" really any different than believing that there ain't one?! After all, unless you're an agnostic instead of an "atheist", then it's the same issue regardless whether it's a fundamentalist christian or a "fundamentalist" atheist... they're both still basically just "beliefs", with no real "proof" to back up either of them?!

Actually Agnostics are more based in "belief" than Atheists are. I just think that people need something higher than themselves to believe in to get them threw the crappy moments in life. There is proof that God doesn't exist, people just choose to ignore it or won't accept it.

That being said he is a little bit harsh on the believers as he said he wouldn't date them anyway. I don't have any problem with them as long as they don't insist that I follow their religion. I read in some woman's profile last night that a man needs to have strong religious values or don't even bother messaging her so I didn't.
 heart2cook
Msg: 120
Posted: 1/1/2012 9:21:14 PM
What makes me say NEXT:

"i get annoyed by ppl who type lke this. they dnt hve tyme 2 use prpr grammer, shft key, spellng, pnctuation, and dnt care 4 there self img."

Okay really, I did that on purpose. Abbreviations are okay from time to time, slang is even alright, but when the whole profile looks like the above "sentence", it makes me think whomever typed it isn't serious about why they're on POF in the first place.
 RockDr.
Msg: 121
Posted: 1/1/2012 10:36:47 PM

"i get annoyed by ppl who type lke this. they dnt hve tyme 2 use prpr grammer, shft key, spellng, pnctuation, and dnt care 4 there self img."
Okay really, I did that on purpose. Abbreviations are okay from time to time, slang is even alright, but when the whole profile looks like the above "sentence", it makes me think whomever typed it isn't serious about why they're on POF in the first place.

When I said that poor spelling or bad grammar makes me say 'next', some people jumped to the defense of the writer of this type of profile and say we could be passing up great guys. I think the part that gets to me is the intentional use of short cuts to the point of being a little difficult to read. I've noticed that someone that has a profile like this: "
if ur down 2 earth n arnt bout drama n have a since of humor if u enjoy life if u wanna talk 2 sum 1 real n not completly full of sh*thit me up.im in 0503 sliing ink if wanna chat or get a tatt hit me up.619 xxx-xxxx"
sends a message that is very similarly written. I'm wondering if everyone can see the wiggly red lines highlighting misspelled words here at POF?
 heart2cook
Msg: 122
Posted: 1/1/2012 11:04:07 PM

When I said that poor spelling or bad grammar makes me say 'next', some people jumped to the defense of the writer of this type of profile and say we could be passing up great guys. I think the part that gets to me is the intentional use of short cuts to the point of being a little difficult to read. I've noticed that someone that has a profile like this: "
if ur down 2 earth n arnt bout drama n have a since of humor if u enjoy life if u wanna talk 2 sum 1 real n not completly full of sh*thit me up.im in 0503 sliing ink if wanna chat or get a tatt hit me up.619 xxx-xxxx" sends a message that is very similarly written. I'm wondering if everyone can see the wiggly red lines highlighting misspelled words here at POF?

Good point. I believe the red lines under misspelled words vary based on which browser you use. Also, I'm not sure if they show up in Mac products, as I'm on a PC. The correction feature can also be turned off. But I'll tell you what, it annoys the heck out of me when I post something that has a red line under it, much less a whole paragraph of red lines.
 tedhpeterson
Msg: 123
Posted: 1/2/2012 12:42:44 AM
[quote=mateo445]Come on Ted, aren't you being just a bit too hard on the "believers"?

Just expressing myself...

They've got a right to want what they want too

I never said they didn't.

and in fairness, is a belief in a "sky-daddy" really any different than believing that there ain't one?!

Uh, you just went to two extremes. There's the position where you're without belief in one (atheist). If I ever say there is no god, I only can say it with as much certainty as I can say there is no Peter Pan or Tooth Fairy.

After all, unless you're an agnostic instead of an "atheist",

You can't be an agnostic "instead" of an atheist. Everyone is either an atheist or a theist, one or the other. Agnosticism is a modifier only.
 tedhpeterson
Msg: 124
Posted: 1/2/2012 12:45:31 AM
Said by JamesHermes:

Atheist IS non-religious. If someone believes in God but puts down non-religious anyway I'd call that person a liar.

I agree. However, many people think they can have a god without being religious.
Thus, we have the need for an atheistic choice.

Actually Agnostics are more based in "belief" than Atheists are.

First off, agnostic and atheist are not proper nouns, so they aren't capitalized.
Second, agnosticism has to do with knowledge, and theism/atheism have more to do with belief.

I read in some woman's profile last night that a man needs to have strong religious values or don't even bother messaging her so I didn't.

Yup, saw versions of this all over. I get disgusted.
 JamesHermes
Msg: 125
Posted: 1/2/2012 2:16:22 AM

Just for the sake of my argument here I'm going to ignore spell check just in this one post.

if ur down 2 earth n arnt bout drama n have a since of humor if u enjoy life if u wanna talk 2 sum 1 real n not completly full of sh*thit me up.im in 0503 sliing ink if wanna chat or get a tatt hit me up.619 xxx-xxxx" sends a message that is very similarly written. I'm wondering if everyone can see the wiggly red lines highlighting misspelled words here at POF?

To be fair I did say there is an exception for someone who types like a texting teenager because they're most likly doing it intentionally instead of because they have a learning disability or just a poor educational background. As you can see with the way I'm typing right now I'm not as bad as the two extremes you two posted abouve.

Good point. I believe the red lines under misspelled words vary based on which browser you use. Also, I'm not sure if they show up in Mac products, as I'm on a PC. The correction feature can also be turned off. But I'll tell you what, it annoys the heck out of me when I post something that has a red line under it, much less a whole paragraph of red lines.

And yes the red lines are being generated from your browser not the forum. I've never heard of any internet forum with a built in spell check. Most people tend to use the default web browsers that computers come with like internet explorer or netscape neither of which have spell check on them. I'm using FireFox which is the only browser I'm currently aware of that has the spell check feature. If you're using something other than FireFox I'd like to know what it is.

First off, agnostic and atheist are not proper nouns, so they aren't capitalized.
Second, agnosticism has to do with knowledge, and theism/atheism have more to do with belief.

They're names aren't they? A name is a proper noun. Anyway, agnostics or Agnostics however you want to spell it want to believe in God but there is no proof to support that there is a God or if there is a God which religion is the right one. I'm an athiest not just because I believe there isn't a God but because I know there isn't a God.

There was a time when I was younger that I was Agnostic and belived there was a God but wanted proof of his existence. Instead what I found was proof that he doesn't exist. I figure that people need something to believe in to help them threw the difficult times in life so I don't really try to hard to prove he doesn't exist. When they're ready to accept it they'll figure it out on their own. I don't wanna convince someone that their coping mechanism isn't real and then find out they committed suicide the next day.

Yup, saw versions of this all over. I get disgusted.

Point I was trying to make was that I don't even look at what religion a person is when I'm checking out their profile. I don't care. But when they talk about it in their description like it's the most important aspect of a partner then I say next.

You make it sound like you wouldn't date anyone unless they were a strict athiest so really you're no different than they are. I'd be more likly to date a girl who said that in her profile because I am Athiest myself but when anyone else says it that means either I have no chance at all with them or if I do date them they're going to spend the entire time trying to convert me and it's not going to work out. If I'm going to date a religious girl she's going to respect that I'm Atheist and I'll respect her religious choise just the same. If she wants to try to convert me then she would have better luck on a different web site that caters to her religious needs. On here you gotta be open to other people or lower your expectations.

Finally in case you missed it at the top of this post I'm intentionally ignoring my spell check to make a point. This is how I use to write before FireFox and this is actually an improvment. From 7 years ago when I first started using internet forums. Actually you can browse this site. http://heros-vilans2001.fanspace.com/ which I created and havn't edited in a while that may still have some spelling errors in it. Obviously the web address itself is spelled wrong but I didn't figure that one out till 2004-2005 and can't change it. (Actually sense I forgot my password I can't change anything about that web site.)

Anyway next post it's back to using spell check again. ;)
Show ALL Forums  > California  > Statements in profiles that make you say "NEXT!"