Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Padawan61
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Anyone else unable to find a job?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Oh ... I see your "profession" is marketing. Fancy title for someone who is good at flapping their gums to earn a living ... rather than performing real work

So; you obviously have no clue what marketing is

If you think Dilbert is awesome and made such a lame statement in the same breath ... then you obviously can't comprehend Scott Adam's mockery of "marketing".

Lemma guess; a "real job" is that, like ditch digging that works the sh*t out of you; and that you can complain about every night when you come home to the wife and kids?

Real work is where you have to move a few brain cells. Something you haven't done in a while, eh??

You also opposed to things such as: happiness, peace, achievement, self realization, love, and freedom?

That one ... yes!!

You basically come off as the 20000/yr manager type, who hates everything and everyone; and who expects your workers to give more, accept less; and quit their whining

Multiple that figure a few times and you might be in the ball park. They're not my workers and I don't control how much they're paid. They are expected to complete their assignments in a reasonable amount of time ... something you might wanna aspire to.

Recently, my boss asked me to make the judgment call on a new hire. You can bet your marketing "degree" that I chose someone who had those hard skills ... not someone with the gift of gab

Shoulda grabbed the fell awith those hard skills, some contacts, AND a gift for the gab. Of course; that may make you a bit nervous about your own spot there...right? BTW GOOD FOR YOU....YER IMPORTANT!!

Another ranter with a streak of envy, I see. Everyone at the company can advance in whatever capacity they chose. I'm secure in my own worth that I see no threat from my co-workers. I just have to keep ahead by learning new things and becoming more valuable. However, I have encountered people who are quite nervous of any sort of competition ... being evasive with information. They try to hide that fear by making the same pointless rants you seem to be making.

I'm so glad your boss "let" you do something big and important, like adding your call to a new hire, which the boss had already decided on anyway

Makes all those years of bootlicking and getting the rage out in the closet when noones looking worth it hu!?

Considering that I haven't been at the company for very long ... what years are you referring to?? Ah ... another know-nothing person making assumptions, I see. Ya know ... you might actually be able to make a coherent post if you quit with that dull sense of "merriment" you seem to be carrying across the forums.

don't email 53 y.o. men looking to date whose "profession" is marketing

Hmmm.... I see. The little smiley clown that you put after this sentence in your post makes me think that perhaps your inclination ranges to much, much younger?

Well ... not many would want a wrinkly 53 y.o. But wait ... Jerry Sandusky might be looking for ya!!! He had a change of preferences in recent days ... until the heat wears off.

So... back to the righteous companies and their position against people with sociology degrees. Have you done a cubicle survey to know this

Of course.

I'm secure in my own worth

Dat a boy

Thanks!!

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
 timetogo3223
Msg: 36
Anyone else unable to find a job?
Posted: 11/13/2011 7:22:56 PM
Pada....

don't email 53 y.o. men looking to date whose "profession" is marketing.

Hmmm.... I see. The little smiley clown that you put after this sentence in your post makes me think that perhaps your inclination ranges to much, much younger? I mean, that's how that sentence with the creepy killer clown reads. Just might want to think before you emoticon.

Speaking of marketing.... this post would make a wonderful addition to the POF Anger Management forum. I think I'll cut and paste it there, if you don't mind. I'll remove the clown for your own protection.

So... back to the righteous companies and their position against people with sociology degrees. Have you done a cubicle survey to know this, or did Dilbert whisper in your ear?
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 37
Posted: 11/13/2011 7:26:44 PM
I'm secure in my own worth

Dat a boy

trinity818
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2011 4:21:41 PM

Anyone else in this predicament??

According to statistics, there are a whole lot of young people graduating from college that can't find work.

I've worked with many people over the years who work in fields not related to their degrees. Years ago, a friend worked for a national bank and was told she could not be promoted beyond a certain point without a BA. They didn't care what the field of study was, just that the degree was required.

I suggest you look for ANY work you can find. Continue looking for opportunities after you get employed. It helps alot to do some networking. Friends can help friends and acquaintances with employment opportunities.

Why did you set your education level on your profile to High School?
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/15/2011 4:53:59 PM

PT job working at a consignment shop - the plus is she can balance the books, understands profit margins, actively solicits new accounts, has customer service experience and runs the shop when the owner needs a break. Not too bad for a 19 year old.

Look at all those TRUE skills and responsibilities that were pulled from A CONSIGNMENT JOB..for a resume.

She understands that when she graduates she will have to take a low paying grunt job

*cough*

Or not.....

Not everyone even recognizs what is entailed in their position, and how it relates to what the clients want......even after being in their position for 15 years. Good bosses will notice this skill/job component recognition skill. That matters when your job becomes multi-dimensional, with a multi-tasking and each skill done on a mass scale. Heck; she may be able to scout talent that a lock step; just do it type would not.

That skill she, ok you, showed off is what I was referring to above; and is THE reason I received several positions and interviews which I otherwise would not.

P.s. Best of luck to your daughter!
 Bishopboat
Msg: 41
Posted: 11/19/2011 12:06:24 PM
Sounds like another case of someone wasting there time in college for a worthless peice of paper.
 Casper66
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2011 2:14:02 PM
Unfortunately OP you and alot of other young people are finding there are fewer jobs out there and you are also completing with older more experienced potential candidates because they have lost their jobs aswell and some are working 2-3 part-time positions to makes end meet.
My advice is stop sending out generic resumes, customize your resume to the job and only include education that qualifies for the position requirements or you can be seen as overqualified, put down as many skills as you can that make you stand out, be professional, make sure there is proper spelling and grammar and don't make it long, short and to the point is better. Use the resources available by your school, I got my first job out of University listings and they can teach you how to do up a proper resume and coverletter. Go to the local job bank and online to job search engines, be open to opportunities that might not be in your field but might interst you, if you can, be willing to re-locate for a job. My last job, I phoned to see if they had any position openings, it turned out they had 2 people leaving, I've been here for almost 8 years now, try in person aswell, some places get swamped with resumes,sometimes it is just luck, internships are good too. Good luck with the search.
 runningman40
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/19/2011 3:16:09 PM
I just watched this news report on the big frackin oil boom up in North Dakota. They have a lot of jobs to fill and a lot of them are just grunt labor--perfect for someone your age. It's not what you had in mind when you went to college I'd guess, but they're paying solid wages and you could get out from under your student loan debt in a couple of years, by which time hopefully the job situation will be better. At worst, you could look at it as a character building experience.

You should probably pack a sweater.
 TheCoolGreenMoss
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2011 6:28:08 PM
My suggestion would be to put more effort into finding a position than you did into this thread. MIA after a single post...?

Otherwise, join your Sociology Association(s) - network with business/organizations that utilize people with your skills. You won't (really) find the job you're looking for on the net.. Not using 'traditional' Monster.com type sites - there likely are more specific sites out there though.
 Fleuron
Msg: 45
Posted: 11/21/2011 10:31:36 AM
Munkeechi, honey, your story touched me. Hang in there.
 lotustemple
Msg: 47
Posted: 11/21/2011 11:46:48 AM
I'm self-employed and love it. Before though, if i wanted a job i did not go thru the regular channels. I asked to speak to whomever was in charge, bypassing personel too if necesssary, and basically told the person how i felt they would benefit immensely if i worked for them with elaboration. This approach worked everytime.
 Padawan61
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2011 9:19:48 PM
I think anybody who judges someone for being unemployed without trying to understand their situation really needs to open their eyes to what's really going on in the world

I don't think anyone is judging the OP without understanding his situation. He clearly said he has a degree in sociology ... an educational field that makes it difficult to find a job in any economy ... much less a crappy one. He believes his 3.77 GPA should be sufficient reason for an employer to hire him ... which is totally false. Employers want experience and relevant skills. Depending on where the OP has been applying, he may not have those skills ... or as another poster have said ... he's also competeing against older and more experienced candidates who have also lost their jobs.

I got my license in Alberta and I've been applying there as well.. with no luck

That's not surprising. Alberta has a surplus of teachers too and many have been laid-off because education funding has being cut.

Problem I'm stuck with now is people see my 2 university degrees and won't hire me or consider me for an interview because I'm either overqualified, or they're afraid that I won't stick around

That's a legitimate concern an employer (outside your field) would have when they see your teaching degree. They know you'll be out-the-door once a teaching position opens up. Nothing wrong with that ... just something an employer doesn't wanna deal with.

If you're applying to receptionist/admin assistant jobs ... tailor your resume and don't mention your teaching degree at all. That way, they won't know you'll skip out on them when something better comes along.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2011 3:55:19 AM

If you're applying to receptionist/admin assistant jobs ... tailor your resume and don't mention your teaching degree at all. That way, they won't know you'll skip out on them when something better comes along.
Exactly!

I'm one of those people that has sifted through thousands of resumes looking for candidates that ranged from entry level positions to extremely experienced and there were a variety of things that would cause me to toss the resume aside - being overqualified was just one of the reasons you would never pass my desk to the next level of review.

Keep in mind that too short or too long of a resume will also get you tossed from consideration. We had a gentleman send us a pristine resume, the man was absolutely perfect for the position according to his credentials and CV... he didn't even make it for an interview as he sent in an eleven page resume. Eleven fking pages... that screams high maintenance.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 50
Posted: 11/23/2011 4:51:05 AM

hundreds of hours looking the Net

Get out and network with REAL people face to face.
Take a job..any job for now.

If you can only get a deli job, be the best dayum deli person there is and treat everyone like they are special.

You never know who you are slicing that pastrami for.
Talk to people.

You want a good job you need to know people and impress them with your attitude and work ethics.
 viper1j
Msg: 51
Posted: 11/23/2011 6:18:08 AM

Exactly!

I'm one of those people that has sifted through thousands of resumes looking for candidates that ranged from entry level positions to extremely experienced and there were a variety of things that would cause me to toss the resume aside - being overqualified was just one of the reasons you would never pass my desk to the next level of review.

Lying may work to get you in the door, but if they make you fill out an app as well as submit a resume, there's a little piece of fine print, just above where you sign that says: "I understand that if submit false information, or omit pertinant information, I will be subject to immediate termination."

The only thing you can do is to lie to get in, and work as much overtime as possible before they find you out.
 Padawan61
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2011 6:55:45 AM
^^^^^Yes we know the standard drill ... but that's only if you must submit an application and IF they investigate your past. Just don't give them any reason to. And for a non-career type position ... fine print isn't something to lose sleep over. In today's economic climate ... a person has to do what they must to get a job.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2011 6:07:06 PM

Lying may work to get you in the door, but if they make you fill out an app as well as submit a resume, there's a little piece of fine print, just above where you sign that says: "I understand that if submit false information, or omit pertinant information, I will be subject to immediate termination."
Omitting things on your resume is not lying, it's tailoring the resume to the position which is pretty standard for most places.

I'm not saying one should embellish their resume, I'm saying they should structure their resume to match the position.

As for the "I understand" statement, that's generally on application forms, I haven't filled out an application for a job since I was a teenager... I don't know any business above food service / alcohol service or factory that still has applications for people to fill out...
 Padawan61
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2011 11:49:43 AM
^^^^^Yes we know the standard drill ... but that's only if you must submit an application and IF they investigate your past. Just don't give them any reason to. And for a non-career type position ... fine print isn't something to lose sleep over. In today's economic climate ... a person has to do what they must to get a job

NEVER LIE on your application... I was in HR for 10 years and we DID let people go for this very reason. Word gets out ... sparks an inquiry and they are DONE. Also grounds for being denied unemployment benefits.

Who said anything about lying?? Just don't volunteer any information that is not relevant to the job applied for. If a person was applying for a position with Wally World ... why tell them you have any sort of degree at all?? It's not like a cashier or stock boy require such qualifications.

Networking is your best shot at getting a job

I disagree. It doesn't work for everyone ... nor all industries. From my experience, networking is mostly meeting people who'll tell you how they might know of some opening. Usually, such openings don't exist and those people are just flapping their gums in order to feel important.

Every job I've ever got was posted in the newspaper or online. So I normally roll my eyes at "the hidden job market".

You having a Bachelor's Degree still puts you in the minority of the populace. Yes, a degree won't magically get you a job, but it sure helps

Certainly OP's sociology degree has put him in the minority of the populace. So minor that he hasn't found a job. Guess the degree wasn't much help after all.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2011 2:40:21 PM

Every job I've ever got was posted in the newspaper or online. So I normally roll my eyes at "the hidden job market".
I completely understand why you are skeptical in regards to this, but there truly is a 'hidden job market'.

In all the places I've worked in my life, only one was because I answered an advertisement for employment - the rest were word of mouth references.
 thebigsexybootydaddy
Msg: 58
Posted: 11/24/2011 3:17:31 PM
I wrote a book that might help you if you are under 40 or so. Check out this youtube video. I've been unemployed and know what its like. hope this helps.
http://youtu.be/9n7Pq23Urfo
 Padawan61
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2011 9:21:43 PM
Every job I've ever got was posted in the newspaper or online. So I normally roll my eyes at "the hidden job market"

I completely understand why you are skeptical in regards to this, but there truly is a 'hidden job market'.

In all the places I've worked in my life, only one was because I answered an advertisement for employment - the rest were word of mouth references

Like I said Lint ... "networking" and "the hidden job market" may work for some fields, but not others. It's simply my experience that there are very few "hidden jobs" in my employment market of industrial electronics. Such jobs are always posted if an internal candidate can't be found and I have to take my chances against other applicants. Sometimes I win and sometimes I lose. As I said in my previous post ... I was able to convince my current employer to hire me within two hours using a resume padded with techno-babble. Though it wasn't really padding as I did do the work listed.

The thing they did tell me to do was to put my education lower on my resume and put the more relevant jobs I've done over the years that aren't teaching related near the job. So make it a situational resume not chronological

That's very true. In your situation, a Functional resume (what they called Situational) is the best for moving emphasis away from major gaps in employment and concentrating more on your skills and experience ... paid or otherwise. Chronological ones are definitely a detriment in your case.

I keep applying.. and one day something's going to click and I'm going to find something. I'm definitely not comfortable sitting around at home. I've always worked and I've always loved to work.. so one day that application will go to a company that doesn't mind my crutches or my education and it'll sort itself out

Yep ... you just have to hit the jackpot once and find a company where your skills are valuable to them.
 me_me_me_pick_me
Msg: 60
Posted: 11/25/2011 10:07:08 PM
Create your own job. Offer to tutor students. If your grades are as good as you say, you should be able to help in other areas.

Figure out what the going rate is, put in the time to find clients using social media, Craigs List, other online resources.

No body owes anyone a job. Go and make your own if all the doors are being slammed in your face. We're all good at something, use your skills and help someone who actually needs it instead of companies that aren't hiring.

As far as those that are hell bent on job searches, a good book to get it is called, "The Power of Who" which is a way of doing networking in order to find employment or pretty much anything. Google that and read some of the reviews on Amazon or wherever. It is a bit different.
 Javan2
Msg: 61
Posted: 1/18/2012 2:44:20 PM
Can't find work ? Sell Insurance !
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >