Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Decision On Keystone XL Pipeline Delayed      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 201
Decision On Keystone XL Pipeline DelayedPage 9 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
I thought I had a pretty good idea of what an industry could do to a landscape. Mountain top removal. But *this* is monstrous. This is "restored" land. . . . http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/4fb527f66bb3f72b7f000003-1200/oil-companies-are-required-to-return-the-land-to-its-original-condition-and-this-reclaimed-section-populated-with-wood-bison-is-not-far-from-the-pond.jpg

http://www.businessinsider.com/photos-destructive-canada-oil-sands-2012-10?op=1
 Olwhatzhisname
Msg: 202
view profile
History
Decision On Keystone XL Pipeline Delayed
Posted: 11/21/2014 8:41:30 AM

as for the deluded feds/albertans that think they're gonna pipe that shit through my province and ship it by tanker, think again,

Its already being shipped through your province - by thousands of rail cars careening down rail lines that crisscross your province - ending up at the very same ports that a pipeline would serve to ship it by tanker.

Its getting there thousands of rail cars at a time while you sleep, work, play. ....going right past you over bridges that span waterways, through populated centers, past lakes, along busy highways, burning millions of gallons of diesel fuel & spewing these massive amounts of toxic diesel exhaust hydrocarbons all along the route, just to rail it to its destination 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
 overunity
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2014 9:50:29 AM
^^^They also ship far more than just oil, perhaps in lessor quantities but far worse in some cases, high pressure anhydrous ammonia being just one example.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 204
Posted: 11/21/2014 10:30:19 AM

but those 35 jobs?

How will Americas economy survive if they do not invest in 1900's technology and give the billionaires tax breaks an incentives to build this pipeline?
 calguy14
Msg: 205
Posted: 11/21/2014 12:13:16 PM
Some retard put a bullet in a high pressure gas line Wednesday, north near the B.C border.

1900's technology?No they have far more advanced technology available,and if they have to they will deploy it to more closely monitor the pipeline,for both the movement and protection of the fluids.
 Olwhatzhisname
Msg: 206
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2014 12:14:37 PM

^^^They also ship far more than just oil, perhaps in lessor quantities but far worse in some cases, high pressure anhydrous ammonia being just one example.

True. All being hauled through your community by a turn-of-the-century form of transportation, thousands of gallons at a time by rail giant Warren Buffet & his Berkshire-Hathaway rail empire.

Iron rail lines, & the spikes, plates, & wooden railroad ties that tie it all together to make up today's rail lines is 19th century transportation technology that hasnt changed much at all in the past 100 years .
 overunity
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2014 12:40:06 PM
Also note that some older railways still have wooden ties that can approach 100 years in age, that only get replaced individually when they "appear" to need it, on a visual inspection when (and if) done for rot or damage.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 208
Posted: 11/21/2014 1:38:37 PM

1900's technology?No they have far more advanced technology available,and if they have to they will deploy it to more closely monitor the pipeline,for both the movement and protection of the fluids.

More advanced technology such as?
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 209
Posted: 11/21/2014 2:01:26 PM

19th century transportation technology that hasnt changed much at all in the past 100 years .

Fuel-Efficiency - CSX
www.csx.com/index.cfm/about-csx/.../fuel-efficiency/
CSX Corporation
Trains can move a ton of freight nearly 450 miles on a single gallon of fuel. ...

And swell technology it is, too!

Not so much this:
3 years and nearly $1 billion later, cleanup of Kalamazoo ...
michiganradio.org/.../3-years-and-nearly-1-billion-later-...
Michigan Radio
Jul 25, 2013 - 3 years and nearly $1 billion later, cleanup of Kalamazoo River oil spill continues .... says it has cost the company almost $1 billion to clean up the spill so far. ... Three years after the Enbridge oil spill, cleanup continues.
 Olwhatzhisname
Msg: 210
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2014 2:38:53 PM
A year and a half, & nearly a half-billion dollars later, cleanup of the deadly Lac-Megantic rail disaster oil spill continues

Quebec government seeking $400 million for Lac-Megantic rail disaster cleanup

— The government of Quebec is seeking $409 million Canadian from the bankrupt Montreal, Maine and Atlantic Railway for cleanup and reconstruction in the town of Lac-Megantic, where one of the company’s trains carrying oil crashed last year in an accident that killed 47 people.

The tragedy occurred early in the morning of July 6, 2013, when a runaway Montreal, Maine and Atlantic Railway train hauling 72 tanker cars of crude oil smashed into the town’s center, derailed and exploded.

Quebec Justice Minister Stephanie Vallee said in a statement Monday that the province has already spent $126 million in Canadian dollars for the cleanup effort and expects to spend another $283 million to clear wrecked buildings and decontaminate the oil-soaked soil around the site of the crash.

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/06/16/business/quebec-government-seeking-400-million-for-lac-megantic-rail-disaster-cleanup/
 Strings6
Msg: 211
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2014 7:02:54 PM
Cotter,all of the things you listed are done everyday all around the world to provide you with your lifestyle and until you give up that lifestyle completely all of your complaints ring hollow....just saying you care and accusing others of not caring because they don't say they care in the way you would have them to is not going to accomplish anything.

I hear consumers all the time who say that it does not matter that they are part of the problem,they "care" and that makes them special and they are allowed to criticize what they use everyday and who provides it for them.
 cotter
Msg: 212
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2014 7:48:45 PM
Message 216 ...
Iron rail lines, & the spikes, plates, & wooden railroad ties that tie it all together to make up today's rail lines is 19th century transportation technology that hasnt changed much at all in the past 100 years.

Message 219 ...
Fuel-Efficiency - CSX
www.csx.com/index.cfm/about-csx/.../fuel-efficiency/
CSX Corporation
Trains can move a ton of freight nearly 450 miles on a single gallon of fuel.

And swell technology it is, too!
I know, and it all goes right past the Columbus, Ohio suburb of Worthington. He no longer lives there though. In the few days he was gone, he moved a few miles south ... to Columbus ...

My brother-in-law was an engineer for CSX for over 30 years and now his son is training for the same job. I think this new guy "whatzamajigger" posted the same thing a few months ago.
 Olwhatzhisname
Msg: 213
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2014 8:46:45 PM

~The Rail Freight Industry(EXCLUDING passenger trains) burn a bit more than 4,000,000,000(4 BILLION) gallons of diesel fuel per year hauling non-passenger railroad cars.
http://www.factcheck.org/2008/07/fuel-efficient-freight-trains/

~Crude oil tankers account for about 11% of all freight weight presently(That percentage is growing every year now). The rail industry burns roughly 400,000,000(400 MILLION) gallons of diesel fuel per year hauling crude oil
https://www.aar.org/BackgroundPapers/Crude%20oil%20by%20rail.pdf

~Rail transportation cost is $5 to $10 per barrel higher than pipeline costs.
http://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R43390.pdf

~Including major derailments in Alabama and North Dakota, more than 1,150,000(1.15 MILLION) gallons of crude oil was spilled from rail cars in 2013 alone.
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2014/01/20/215143/more-oil-spilled-from-trains-in.html
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 214
Posted: 11/22/2014 8:20:18 AM
^^^^^

All great reason to invest on alternative sources of energy so we do not get left behind.

Though it is understandable that people without of the intellect or any level of intelligence would be able to understand that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the, yeah that was just a total coincidence file:

Senate Keystone “Yea” Votes Took In Six Times More Oil & Gas Money Than Opponents
by Sarah Bryner on November 19, 2014

...The 59 senators who voted for the pipeline have received, on average, significantly more money from the oil and gas industry than those who voted against construction. Over the course of their careers, those 59 took in over $33 million in campaign donations from the industry, compared to the approximately $4.2 million received by the 41 who successfully blocked the bill’s approval. On average, those voting for Keystone have received $572,000 from oil and gas interests, compared with just $103,900 for those voting against it...

http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2014/11/senate-keystone-yea-votes-took-in-six-times-more-oil-gas-money-than-opponents/
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 215
Posted: 11/22/2014 8:46:42 AM
Keytone is anticipated to generate 2000 construction jobs for 2 years and 50 permanent jobs. Much or most of the oil piped to Texas refineries is anticipated to be sold on the foreign market. For this benefit, of which very little will be realized by America, the piping route goes through one of the largest reserves of fresh water in the world. So, while piping petroleum may be one of the safest methods of shipping, it is not without the risk or potential for spill. And frankly, the spill record for Keystone 1 sucks.
 Strings6
Msg: 216
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2014 10:35:10 AM
Msg 224,the snotty attitude isn't called for because money is being invested in alternative energy....you see it takes a certain amount of common sense to know it can't be done overnight and it has to be affordable for people especially poor people,they other issue so many claim to "care" about yet have no workable solutions for other than what somebody should else be doing about it.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 217
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2014 10:35:36 AM
I think it's a shame that one of the primary arguments in favor of doing this to help Canadians to save money on transporting their oil to other countries, is that if we don't, they'll threaten us with an even BIGGER mess, by shipping it by rail, in tankers not properly designed to do so.

That is the "it's less dangerous to build the pipeline than to ship by rail" argument in a nutshell.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 218
Posted: 11/22/2014 10:53:03 AM
I don't think anybody is threatening anyone...let alone Canadians. Oil will be moved one way or another. There are hundreds of pipelines and thousands of rail cars criss crossing both our countries as we speak and have for years...plus tankers and trucks. . Both countries are drilling and pumping out oil in our seas. As long as there is a need..oil will be transported. Your country is a much larger consumer than ours due to population. Yes, let's find a safer way. No one like spills in the Gulf, or on land or tragedies like Lac Magnantic. Oil is big money, all of us are consumers and it's really, really big money in the pockets of politicians (more so in your country than mine).

None of truly knows the "right" way, we can't stop the movement of oil, let's just hope they can find safer ways.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 219
Posted: 11/22/2014 11:44:42 AM

None of truly knows the "right" way, we can't stop the movement of oil, let's just hope they can find safer ways.

FYI: Solar an Wind already can do that.

But do not let the facts get in your way of giving up and claiming there is nothing better.
 calguy14
Msg: 220
Posted: 11/22/2014 12:10:38 PM
@HFX#218
Various wireless sensors that communicate as nodes within a network through very secure software defined radio,similar to the types used for container traffic at large U.S ports.There is also drone technology that can be put to use.Apparently they plan to double up the flow and pressure sensors as well,and to increase the number of valves to limit flow.
 overunity
Msg: 221
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2014 12:14:10 PM
Msg 227: Well I think using Canadian crude would be safer, cheaper and longer lasting for the American people than invading foreign countries half way around the world to secure your supply of crude.

To below, and why is that? To keep the war machine in business?
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 222
Posted: 11/22/2014 12:16:27 PM

Well I think using Canadian crude would be safer for the American people than invading foreign countries to secure your supply of crude.

and when you understand that not a drop of the oil going through this proposed pipeline will not be used domestically, you will be well on you way to understanding how your comment makes no sense.
 Olwhatzhisname
Msg: 223
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2014 1:07:44 PM
^^^Most idiots dont even realize that the United States IMPORTS Canadian oil sands-derived crude oil for domestic consumption. They will just post dumba$$ crap that they believe, because they read it on some agendist blogsite, & it supports their agenda.

Canadian oil sands-derived crude oil is just one part of our multi-source energy portfolio. Millions of gallons of it goes to refinery in thousands of railroad cars that criss-cross the country 24/7, burning millions of gallons of diesel fuel, because some crybaby doesnt want a pipeline to pipe it to refinery.

Oil companies generate substantial quantities of crude oil and related substances from the natural bitumen in oil sands, particularly deposits in Alberta, Canada. In 2012, the United States imported 438 million barrels of oil sands-derived crude oils, 125% more than in 2005.

http://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R43390.pdf

US oil companies also refine this CANADIAN crude for export, earning outside $$$ that helps reduce the trade deficit, while increasing GDP.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 224
Posted: 11/22/2014 1:41:05 PM

FYI: Solar an Wind already do that

Um, I didn't say anything against solar and wind. I don't think you needed to add the smart azz comment about facts. But carry on.

And I don't know about you but my car doesn't run on wind or solar and neither do the other gazillion vehicles on the road right now. Cars like the Tesla make up a very, very small market. I don't see too many houses with solar panels either...there are some and more all the time as well as more wind turbines on the landscape. They're just not everywhere.

When the likes of David Suzuki give up flying around the world and give up their mansions...all the while preaching "green"...I will think about getting an electric car. Meanwhile I will keep putting gas in my small car and motorcycle.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 225
Posted: 11/22/2014 2:15:30 PM

Um, I didn't say anything against solar and wind. I don't think you needed to add the smart azz comment about facts. But carry on.

You said there where no alternative sources and I quickly showed that you where wrong.

No need to get testy when someone points out your errors now.

And I don't know about you but my car doesn't run on wind or solar and neither do the other gazillion vehicles on the road right now.

Which is because oil won the propaganda battle many moons ago, and since then the tax payers have been giving oil an advantage.

Cars like the Tesla make up a very, very small market. I don't see too many houses with solar panels either...there are some and more all the time as well as more wind turbines on the landscape. They're just not everywhere.

They are not everywhere because they are not afforded the same advantages and subsidies that oil is.

When the likes of David Suzuki give up flying around the world and give up their mansions...all the while preaching "green"...I will think about getting an electric car. Meanwhile I will keep putting gas in my small car and motorcycle.

When you understand that one less person on a plane makes no difference because that plane is flying anyway, you will well on your way to understanding how stupid your comment is.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Decision On Keystone XL Pipeline Delayed