Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Aries_328
Msg: 24
view profile
History
A very elaborate scam????Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I kind of made up the kidnapping part. So, I thought I would look it up...

http://www.soca.gov.uk/news/159-kidnap-threat-linked-to-romance-fraud

SOCA has warned of a sinister development in the murky world of ‘romance fraud’, after a British national was kidnapped

Now obviously you’re not planning on visiting West Africa to put your new flame to the test but is it really that difficult to understand that this is a significantly large criminal organization and it is only a matter of time until they work out the details to bring it closer to your home. Depending on where you look it looks like the dating scams are getting up around a billion a year. That’s not your school yard thug money.

So, caped crusader, you’re all about the game. :) Just the fact that you’re intrigued enough to follow through with the meeting means they have you. It doesn't matter what brings you... just that you show up.

Good luck
 SharkByte81
Msg: 25
A very elaborate scam????
Posted: 11/15/2011 7:15:43 PM
I would like to point you towards 419 eater but I'm not sure if we are allowed to post links to other sites... lol google that, read the stories and you'll very soon realize you have a lad on the hook. real them in slow, be very careful not to give them any real info about yourself and have fun with them
 HopingToNotSayYikes
Msg: 26
Posted: 11/15/2011 9:02:43 PM
I agree you can have a ton of fun with them, I once gave the phone number and address they requested, but it wasn't mine, it was to the secret service officer who deals in such Nigerian scams.

But I forgot to add, when being cautious this includes never being lured into instant message or video messaging with someone you don't know is legit, because those are easily hacked.
 carelesswhisper00
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/15/2011 10:35:09 PM
Scammers can very easily get your address from the net if they have your phone number. I really hope she doesn't show up and you are wondering what to do next. I would not give this person another thought period.
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/16/2011 12:54:25 AM
Have you heard about the scam, where the 'date' arrives with a 'boyfriend' or 'husband' a few steps behind? Then the dude, usually a big fella, throws a fit and threatens to re-arrange your face unless you unload your wallet in his pocket...

Are you that bad off, that you have to find out how it will play out? Either way you are playing a losing game with someone who's trying to lure you in god knows what kind of scheme...
 worknovertime
Msg: 31
Posted: 11/16/2011 3:07:05 AM
Oh..yes. this is a scammer.

She is going to be trying to hit you up for money..soon.

If you want to play, go to 419eater.com
They will teach you how to scam the scammer.

wasting a scammers' time and money is a public service.
 Aries_328
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2011 7:42:27 AM
good advice from 419

Lets for arguments sake say that you did tick off a scammer so much he decides he's going to hop over on a plane to pay you a visit. Where's he going to go? Assuming you were not so stupid as to divulge your real address, the scammer wouldn't have a clue where to come looking for you. Are you a UK scam baiter? If so, pretend you live in the US and vice-versa.

OP you already failed the cardinal rule. They have your telephone number. I would say that you should just pass this one up and wait for the next but I believe it would be you that is passed around. Pass it up entirely.
 charlie_girl_2
Msg: 33
Posted: 11/16/2011 9:45:56 AM
Yes, it is a very elaborate scam and I think you know it, but don't want to give up on this woman and will jump through all her hoops and yes, give her (all) the money that she WILL be asking you for, because you cannot believe that she isn't real and that she really doesn't "love you"!

This scam happens so often. There was a thread on this that went on and on and on about a man 50something who refused to believe that 21 year old beauty was lying to him! He had already sent her $10K and was going to send her more, but stopped in on the forums to see if we agreed. NO matter what we said, he still insisted that she was really into him romantically and couldn't wait to meet. Yet, he kept sending her money (told us all right here) and wanted to, as you put it, play it out. Why!

It has been noted that in Florida, the older men really get taken in by these scams and to the tune of millions of dollars. Yet, it still goes on.

The pictures are usually fake and used over and over by several who are the same person who is really a skinny little Nigerian raking in the big bucks off gullible guys like you.

I do hope that I am wrong, but I truly believe that I am not.
 dolly419
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/25/2011 12:12:41 PM
so what happened? did you go and meet her? online dating looks more and more like something i need to stay away from!
 ForumsGee
Msg: 40
Posted: 11/25/2011 2:33:19 PM
Your gut feeling is right on track! There are wayyy too many red flags here. You have an enquiring mind..but dont waste your time.. there are so many other women that you could be spending quality time with (one of them right here in Florida :) but really...why bother? All of what you said sounds way too complicated.
 KittenCatt
Msg: 41
Posted: 11/25/2011 2:39:13 PM
I don't understand, OP.....you and men such as you who put so much effort and energy into these - what I can only surmise as - "fantasies" of these exotic, foreign women who you seem to think are going to become your dream come true. Why not put this effort into local women who don't engender all of these ridiculously obvious red flags?

And these mysterious women who "began getting romantic soon"...yet you still want to get to know them. And if a local woman began doing that, you'd be gone in a second. I don't get it.
 Aries_328
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2011 2:39:51 PM

Your gut feeling is right on track!

If it requires gut feelings to see this please do not date online.
 angel4664
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2011 9:36:40 PM
I'm gonna guess this person is from match.com. I have had a couple guys on there that have turned out to be just scammers. Be careful
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 44
Posted: 11/26/2011 6:48:39 AM
OP do not meet this person. There are so many red flags here, this whole situation seems very wrong to me. I would be afraid for your safety if you arranged a meeting w/her, who knows who she will have with her!
 cadnb
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2011 3:17:31 PM
i love horror and creepy things but like....this sounds scary!

i dont know if its a scam, but assuming you have accurately described everything, it sounds wrong....and kinda disturbing.

dont invite this person to your house
 Aries_328
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2011 10:51:52 PM
well....

From Original Posting 11/15/2011

She wants to stop by here on her way back to Ky in 8 days...I am really intrigued as to how this will play out so I'm continuing with this..If anyone here can give me some more insight I would appreciate it..In the meantime I will keep posting.

His last post was Posted: 11/15/2011 1204 PM.

So... He said he was going to follow through with the meeting. The meeting time has passed. Spontaneous Combustion?
 DeborahC56
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2011 6:20:54 AM
I think he got scammed and was too ashamed to let us know what happened.
 Shearsx2
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2011 9:24:56 AM
I have had the same experience with guys out of state, they live one place in states but happen to be out of country for a job. Phone usually not working, gets romantic fast, wants to come by on way back to the states, and one actually wanted me to send him money and said if i did'nt i could go to jail, and he was a spy lol. My advice to you is end it now and do not talk to people out of state, my experience has been the same with all out of state, most are scammers so please end all contact before you get scammed. All we're also widowed, 1 child and they all had the same sad story. RUNNNNNNNNNNNN
 Shearsx2
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2011 9:26:28 AM
RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
 TuffGuy666
Msg: 52
Posted: 11/27/2011 9:51:06 AM
Scam? Yes. Elaborate? No. Just par for the Internet course.

If someone wants to "get romantic" before you've even met, it's either a scam, or a very desperate and/or mentally disturbed woman. This case sounds like scam. In either case, you want to grab your wallet and run like hell the other way.

I predict that very soon this woman is going to ask for money.

Didn't your momma ever tell you that if something seems too good to be true, it is?

Like P.T. Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute.

Just for fun, if she wants your address, give her an address to your local FBI office.

"If she needs to come up here from Houston I will fly down and pick her up in my corporate jet."

Someone with a jet needs to find women online with Nigerian sounding names that barely speak English? Uh huh.

Troll
 Pingshooter
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2011 4:45:14 PM
What's amazing..they continue to ply their trade, even with all of the advertising, warnings, because they know..somewhere, someone is gullible enough to get hooked into the scam.
 gingerchick30
Msg: 54
Posted: 11/27/2011 8:09:23 PM
I'm curious how this all played out too!!! Hope the OP is ok?? Was he taken away by the Nigerians?? Don't keep us in suspense OP!!
 J2453
Msg: 55
Posted: 11/29/2011 3:27:43 PM
I was scammed on another dating site. Only lost a bit of pride thankfully. Surprising how many scammers are on these sites. They seem to all have similiar scenarios: widowed, lost a kid or has a young one, want to make you theirs and build a wonderful loving relationship. Then wham.....they ask for $$$$$. Beware people, it's not neccessarily the good guy or gal at the other end:(
 snowgoddess
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2011 6:07:49 PM
you're being played!
if you want attention, meet her at public place with no cash or cc on hand, park far and walk to the place! I personally knew a guy, desperate, all he wanted was some TLC - he got more than what he bargained for. She played him big, he brought her home, she kissed him, they snuggled, she robbed him and his house (must have been with a team).

Be weary, be very very weary!

im just saying - you're better off going to the local watering hole and buying a group of ladies a round, with no motive. if one of them comeover and say thanks, go from there!
 SunshineAngel99
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2011 8:29:14 PM
I wouldn't take chances as scammers often work in groups.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >