Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 31
Serial textersPage 2 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Along the same vein...it always makes me laugh to see FB updates along the line of 'At x's house, great party, great friends, having a great time'....If you're having so much fun, why the heck are you breaking away from that to update your status on FB ? LMAO
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 32
Serial texters
Posted: 11/21/2011 9:10:00 AM

I hate calling. I prefer texting tbh. I only call people who im really close to. Otherwise to me strangers arent really worth calls when I can text them

I have to wonder if Seinfeld was still running if we would have an episode entitled Phone Worthy ( as opposed to Sponge Worthy )
 walkingtall38
Msg: 33
Serial texters
Posted: 11/22/2011 10:20:51 AM
I don't mind texting from time to time and it has its purpose but yes...some people are ridiculous with it. Its all they want to do, and frankly I find it to be rather impersonal and hard to get to know the person through it.

Actually met one person that things seemed to be going well via e-mail and texting so I asked if we could actually talk on the phone to get to know each other better. Never heard from them again after that lol

Just silly really
 getanet
Msg: 35
Serial texters
Posted: 11/23/2011 12:28:40 PM
I can see the "convenience factor" in texting. Calling and talking takes undivided attention. (However, you'd like to think a potential date could at least do so before meeting.)
Texting, ultimately, I think is just "safe." In that, you get to sit back, contemplate and type out a response and then send it. No one has to be "quick on their feet" with texting. Hearing someone's voice is pretty personal and adds to the getting to know you quotient. It may just be too personal for some unless they know/are involved with someone.

Personally, it takes so damn long for me to work those little keys texting to spell out a simple message, it bores the hell out of me.
 nowadaz
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Serial texters
Posted: 11/23/2011 12:54:43 PM
I agree with femaleandflirty 100%. I also find chatting impersonal as well. A phone call or web chat is good then texting and chatting only as a tool for making plans or meeting up somewhere.

Shawn
 _allen_
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Serial texters
Posted: 11/23/2011 5:42:26 PM
I'm a serial texter and proud of it. Rarely do I speak over the phone. I don't care for it.

My mobile is my life. I use it for personal, business, social, entertainment, and everything in between. The only aspect I do not use my mobile is to talk. I prefer to text friends, associates, and clients as it's not too time consuming and does not require my full attention (i.e. send a quick text and move on to the next task).

Not everyone who are serial texters are hiding something. Texting is my preferred method of communication just as talking over the phone may be yours.

Though, when it comes to online dating, I will not give out my mobile number until "after" we meet and setup a real second date. This is the reason why I prefer a meet as soon as possible as oppose to courting one another over email, SMS, video chat, etc for weeks on end.

I've never been a fan of phone conversations. I've always felt it's better to speak in person as opposed to over the phone. When friends want to talk, I immediately setup a date, time, and destination - usually done via text.
 tsmith26
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Serial texters
Posted: 11/23/2011 7:20:12 PM
Texting can be ok if it is kept to a minimum. If your serious about creating a real relationship phone contact and talking in person is the only way. I'm trying my best to get away from communicating with text. If a girl will not talk on the phone after the first few texts I feel that I should move on.....
 CapHaddock
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Serial texters
Posted: 11/23/2011 7:37:33 PM
Why don't you meet them for a cup of coffee, instead of scheduling time to talk? If you still hear excuses, you know the person isn't meant for you - either he is too busy to make time for you, or he's lying. Either of these is a deal-breaker at the start of a relationship.

Talking over phone, chatting, texting are signs that a person isn't real. An initial conversation is fine, but if someone doesn't want to meet after 2 good discussions, then something is amiss.
 apinlondon123
Msg: 40
Serial texters
Posted: 11/24/2011 8:15:22 AM
Well we can't state for fact that something is amiss. They could be very shy or just havn't built up the confidence yet.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 41
Serial texters
Posted: 11/24/2011 1:20:51 PM
Texting is great for messages that dont require a responses, but trying to use texting/IM/chat to actually get to know people is ridiculous. There are more mis understandings over text/im/chat than anything else, because tone of voice is not present. So many failed 'blooming' relationships all because someone was too lazy/shy/busy to pick up the phone and use thier voice.

I rarely text, and when I do it is for something like 'Im running late, please wait up' and such. I dont try and get to know people this way, it is a huge waste of time and effort.

Just read these forums and see for yourself, texting/chat/im doesnt work for getting to know someone new.

When I meet someone new, I make it clear-if they try to resolve an issue over text, Im outta there. If they try and set up something rather important over text, Im otta there. Communication is very important to me and I wont communicate important issues over text. If they dont like that, they are best to move along.
 dmzvisitor
Msg: 42
Serial texters
Posted: 11/26/2011 8:34:25 AM
If you get a text, don't you have their phone number (my phone works that way, but I don't know if that is common)? So call them. If they freak out, are evasive, or hang up immediately--you know they are married/in a relationship. If they cannot handle a phone conversation, they are dweebs.

Take action when you reach your limit (on texting) and if the other person doesn't reciprocate, you probably aren't a good match. Let 'em go and move on.

I will text because it is not as time consuming nor does it require my full attention. I work 2 jobs. I don't have the time or the desire to have phone conversations. I'm not hiding my contact from someone nor do I have an "addiction". I just don't like to talk on the phone. We can talk in person. Not everyone who prefers texting has some sort of secret agenda.

hmm. I'm not sure I want someone texting me who cannot or won't give me their full attention. But that's an aside-to each his own. More importantly, the poster above is willing to meet, so problem solved. Again, each of us has to do what works for us and quit worrying about the other--if it is THAT difficult at the beginning, it will only get worse. If s/he is "so great" that you are willing to stretch your boundaries a bit, well, get used to it 'cause that is how any relationship with that person will go. And maybe that's ok. It's when you have stretched beyond your comfort zone and find it irksome that you should know to cut it off, no matter how hot the other is.
 JokinglySerious
Msg: 43
Serial texters
Posted: 11/27/2011 9:32:45 AM
I had some 40 year old woman ask me if I would like to text rather than talk and I was BLOWN AWAY...You want to text before we talk?

So here's the deal: A lot of guys who do this are either in some sort of relationship or they're juggling a bunch of women at once. While this isn't true all the time, it's true a lot of the time.

I love to text, but only after I've had a few conversations. How can someone understand my humor and context if we haven't spoken. I see it as very, very immature.
 ChefdeFlambe
Msg: 44
Serial texters
Posted: 11/27/2011 2:17:48 PM
Some people just aren't comfortable on the phone. personally I get jitters and go blank sometimes on first contact, but I usually go with whatever the lady prefers, but I don't like all texts all the time.
 Deke245
Msg: 45
Serial texters
Posted: 11/27/2011 3:39:58 PM
Maybe they don't want their wives to know they're talking with someone? Something to consider....
 lakeal
Msg: 46
Serial texters
Posted: 11/27/2011 5:45:09 PM
A good balance between texting, talking on the phone and definetly in person is the way to go, At the right time all can be useful.
 karmal32
Msg: 47
Serial texters
Posted: 11/27/2011 6:40:33 PM
Agreed. I figure if I want to text before I get to know you, I can just stay on here. Duh.... None the less, textin is cool with folks that you know. But I think when getting to know someone, a traditional phone conversation speaks wonders
 united1frvr
Msg: 48
Serial texters
Posted: 11/28/2011 4:57:29 PM
OP...I do agree with Strayraylight...it is much easier to be clever via the written/typed word, tone can be mistaken for many things (aggression, pompousness, timidness) which means a phone call sometimes can be a bit of a buzzkill in setting up a date.
Also texting allows people to review what they are saying before they say it and send it, we live in an overly politically correct world where any number of things can be misinterpreted as being insensitive.So on the side of the texters...I think it's genuinely okay to text, just only to a certain limit...a phone call is required, personally I find first phone calls kind of exciting...everyone has thoughts as to what the person you are messaging sounds like, and it's even better when you are pleasantly surprised at how sweet a voice they have.

Don't discount a guy for texting, he maybe a really good guy ;)
 walkingtall38
Msg: 49
Serial texters
Posted: 11/28/2011 5:01:47 PM

it is much easier to be clever via the written/typed word, tone can be mistaken for many things (aggression, pompousness, timidness) which means a phone call sometimes can be a bit of a buzzkill in setting up a date.

What? Really? From my experience from forums to texting to anything involving people "speaking" to each other via the written word a lot more misunderstanding has occurred.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 51
Serial texters
Posted: 11/28/2011 5:43:17 PM

it is much easier to be clever via the written/typed word, tone can be mistaken for many things (aggression, pompousness, timidness) which means a phone call sometimes can be a bit of a buzzkill in setting up a date.

What? Really? From my experience from forums to texting to anything involving people "speaking" to each other via the written word a lot more misunderstanding has occurred.

I've had MANY more misunderstandings via email/text than I've ever had when speaking with someone. Tone, inflection, response time, laughter or not, etc., can all be heard. It can not be read (there are rare occasions when you can tell you're cracking someone up via email/text, but it's a no-brainer when you can actually hear the laughter.)

~OT~ I'm a texter. Didn't used to be. Then I discovered the convenience factor. Short, to the point and can be done anywhere/anytime without disturbing anyone else. There's nothing worse than sitting in a restaurant and the person sitting at the next table is yammering on their phone. Much like public transportation, airports, hospital waiting rooms, etc. I don't particularly care to hear one/half of someone's private conversations ~ texting solves that issue. To each their own.
 snakenamedjoe
Msg: 52
Serial texters
Posted: 12/2/2011 1:40:17 AM
Ok, I think I have a unique perspective on this.

I hate text messaging. I always have. It's impersonal, and often rude to the people around you. Kind of like whispering secrets.

But, when I joined this site, I went and got a new phone that was specifically better for text messages. Why? Because most of the women I know text like crazy all the **** time! I assume that's how you like to communicate these days, and I've certainly not encountered any reason to believe otherwise on this site. I get tons of dates just by texting. One girl showed up for a date and had a lisp, which I though was cute, but it was a complete surprise to me.

A couple of girls have called me up, and then we'd start talking on the phone more. Sometimes I don't feel like texting so I call them. Most of the time I text, and most of the time it works - but I hate it.

If you're upset that a guy texts and doesn't call - and I know this is a novel thought - try telling him that you don't like texting and prefer to talk on the phone. Who knows? Maybe they don't like texting either.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 53
Serial texters
Posted: 12/2/2011 6:04:46 PM
^^^^^^ So you hate texting and always have and think it is rude but you went ahead and got a phone specifically for texting just so you could get laid more often. Glad to hear you are a man who sticks to what he strongly believes in.
 onlydateIF
Msg: 54
Serial texters
Posted: 12/3/2011 10:41:09 AM
OP, I know for myself, I am worth the incredible effort it takes to pick up a phone and call me, aren't you?? I absolutely refuse to text! If that's what a guy has to offer me, I am automatically disinterested
 walkingtall38
Msg: 55
Serial texters
Posted: 12/3/2011 12:47:29 PM

Texting the whole time raises a huge red flag.

Really? Just raises my blood pressure mostly.
 snakenamedjoe
Msg: 56
Serial texters
Posted: 12/5/2011 8:48:28 PM
@ Paddy_O_Lantern

^^^^^^ So you hate texting and always have and think it is rude but you went ahead and got a phone specifically for texting just so you could get laid more often. Glad to hear you are a man who sticks to what he strongly believes in.

screw you. I got a phone for text because I'm open minded and not stuck in the 20th century. Tech changes, and we have to adapt to it whether we like it or not, or get left in the dust to rot. According to your statement everybody on here is a big old pervert because we're just trying to get laid more often.

I'll have you know I've turned down sex twice in the last year because that's not what I'm looking for. I've only had sex with one woman (my wife at the time) in the last 15 years.

I got that phone to help meet women - and there is nothing dirty about that. And it's worked. I've had far more dates since I got that phone.

But you know, I can't even begin to describe how asinine your comments are with text alone. Maybe we should talk over the phone.
 earthboundangel67
Msg: 57
Serial texters
Posted: 12/5/2011 10:26:02 PM
I dont mind texting. I kind of agree with spot as well. I am also a parent, so, when the phone rings, all ears are focused on that & interrupting me. Lol! Texting allows me time to chat & get to know someone, yet still be in the same room as my kids and enjoy their company as well. I also dont mind talking on the phone though. But find in person much better. Do agree with the other posters in that I prefer to have at least one conversation on the phone to find out what the other person sounds like. I have been told I have a great voice on the phone, which I would like the other person to find out as well. I think we have to learn and embrace all the new technology, without it taking over us or who we really are. I say whatever works for each person.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >