Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Xc0de
Msg: 58
Serial textersPage 3 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I only text to my sister but I rarely text her. I use free google sms service for it. Noway I would text anyone else. It's difficult for my sister to email and calling at the right time is difficult. I don't even use a cell phone. Even email can be limiting. I don't like talking on the phone however I will do it with someone I like. Did you know some of text message doesn't actually go through and some of your cell phone providers save text messages for certain amount of time and they can read them. One reason I hate the cell phone is that they can track you and smart phone is even worse if you live on that thing they can pretty much know about your whole life.
 Capn_America
Msg: 59
Serial texters
Posted: 12/6/2011 1:17:06 PM
Fairly new to this online dating. Had contact with two men that are only texters. Made arrangement with two of then two different times to chat on the phone-had excuses-I understand things come up but twice twice each. But they will text me all day and evening long if I respond. What is up with this? Done with them. But what is it with all this texting before talking, talking, and then texting.

LMAO Welcome to my world. I didnt realise having a cellphone and texting was a prerequisite to meeting someone. Doesnt anyone believe in good old fashionned "looking in the eyes and whispering sweet nothings over a table" approach anymore?I dont even own a cellphone!!! Am I that cliché, am I that 20th century???

LOL

5150Rivergirl
Msg: 60
Serial texters
Posted: 12/6/2011 3:31:51 PM
Ive been running into that lately. Whole thing is a turn off and I shut it down real quick. I wont put up with it and move on. Some say Im cold. Eh. Thats fine. I just dont fill up my valuable time for nonsense.
I am a huge texter, but, when it comes to all this dating stuff: If you dont take time out to talk to me, then I am not going to waste my time

Actually nipped one in the bud a few weeks ago . Met a fireman off here and after some emailing, we exchanged numbers. Because he was on duty for a few days, we texted. When he texted me that he was home, we talked about taking it to phone. Didnt hear from him. Called him. He replied with a text. I didnt reply. He proceeded to text me over the next few days. If I wasnt busy working, Id reply once, short. He finally started calling and we have talked. We do both, because sometimes its just easier to text when one is at work. I dont consider it( a game. IMO, calling is more personal and shows the person is more interested in getting to know someone.
 badbrains213
Msg: 61
Serial texters
Posted: 12/7/2011 10:07:20 AM
who on earth could possibly prefer texting to speaking on the phone?

i mean, seriously??
 mgiddin
Msg: 62
Serial texters
Posted: 12/7/2011 5:03:17 PM
I use both, voice and text. During the day its nice to text a few quick messages but I'd prefer to talk or meet in person. As for setting up a meeting date/time and then they back out. Well I'd read that as they have something else going on the side, or they're more interested in that than you. Probably not worth your time.
 hopkinslady
Msg: 63
Serial texters
Posted: 12/7/2011 9:32:59 PM
I completely agree with this. Infact, that is included in my profile now....if you give me your number in the first message you send me. I WILL NOT REPLY! Geez what is wrong with people?
 Schrödingers_Dog
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Serial texters
Posted: 12/8/2011 3:40:36 PM
Texting is for updates and directives: "Running late. See you in 5", "Don't forget the whipped cream!". It's not for conversations.

If I wanted a conversation that limited me to one or two sentences at a time... Well, I wouldn't.
 Capn_America
Msg: 65
Serial texters
Posted: 12/8/2011 3:42:37 PM

Texting is for updates and directives: "Running late. See you in 5", "Don't forget the whipped cream!". It's not for conversations.

If I wanted a conversation that limited me to one or two sentences at a time... Well, I wouldn't

I think I`ll add that to my profile!
 Schrödingers_Dog
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Serial texters
Posted: 12/8/2011 3:54:44 PM
Feel free, Capn. Soyez le bienvenu. Yours for the taking.

I was having a conversation on FB with a woman a couple of weeks ago. Multi-paragraph replies, the whole thing. It wasn't until the conversation was wrapping up the I inadvertently refreshed the page and it suddenly showed "posted with FB mobile". I actually had a brief moment of nausea thinking of someone cramped over their phone, thumbing their lengthy reply to me.
 Capn_America
Msg: 67
Serial texters
Posted: 12/8/2011 4:42:58 PM

Feel free, Capn. Soyez le bienvenu. Yours for the taking.

Lol thanks dude. And I took a peak at your profile, and if you work in what I think you work, I`m jealous as all hell and hope you make a living on it dude, kudos to you!
 kcladyz
Msg: 68
Serial texters
Posted: 12/11/2011 8:22:27 AM
I have one of those. every time we try to hook up something happens and he can make it. he is a nice man but refuses to call me. he will only text. drives me freaking nuts!!!! I do myself prefer texting as well but i do want normal phone conversations
 Jonmac8123
Msg: 69
Serial texters
Posted: 12/12/2011 1:53:01 PM
I thought that was only a problem with women?? I haven't figured this one out, and they will even go as far as texting me back an excuse why they didn't answer when I called?!? Very irritating...
 Celticwaves
Msg: 70
Serial texters
Posted: 12/12/2011 2:21:45 PM
OP-I have the same problem particularly with younger guys. They want to text but not call. I wonder if it is easier to text than to pick up the phone, call you and ask you out. So my policy is not to to make meeting arrangements with men I have never met or answer questions about sex via text. Either have the balls to call or get out of my way. I have dating to do.
 5150Rivergirl
Msg: 71
Serial texters
Posted: 12/12/2011 3:10:12 PM
texting me back an excuse why they didn't answer when I called?!?

I eff'ing HATE that! If I call, get your vm, and then you TEXT me back with, "did you just call?" Dude! Seriously?

You return a call WITH a CALL back. Not a text.
You cant answer the phone, but you'll reply with a text? (Im not talking about during working. Im talking about with both have the ability to chat freely)

I just ignore their reply back text. I watch them get all pissed off that Im not returning THEIR text from MY PHONE CALL.

Edit: If someone is THAT SHY, that they are afraid to talk via phone/ask me out, then they shouldnt be dating. :laugh:
 VirgoInJaxBeach
Msg: 72
Serial texters
Posted: 12/12/2011 3:11:31 PM
I am also new to this, but I'm interested in a message or 2 first, then if interest is there agree to meet. No way am I giving my number to someone I haven't met. As for that part, A text or 2 is ok, but I prefer to talk...texting can be impersonal, and alot can get lost in the message since you can't hear the tone and inflections in the voice. too much texting tells me you aren't interested....and you are probably driving ...and I am behind you....in the fast lane as you alternate from 45 to 65 mph....hang up and drive...sorry got caught up in a flash back driving down JTB
 Celticwaves
Msg: 73
Serial texters
Posted: 12/12/2011 3:13:06 PM
[I eff'ing HATE that! If I call, get your vm, and then you TEXT me back with, "did you just call?" Dude! Seriously?]

Well said sweetie.
 Capn_America
Msg: 74
Serial texters
Posted: 12/12/2011 3:28:44 PM

I wonder if it is easier to text than to pick up the phone, call you and ask you out

It is; no face = not really a confrontation. Its kind of like forums, on the internet in general, its a mental thing; if you dont see it, it isnt really there...if I`d flush a woman with a text, I'd feel fine, it`s like I didn't do anything. No blame. Ploosh!
Whereas if you call someone, whoa...now your really dealing with another human being, so you got to use that sickenning thing called caring...lol
I think its a gross vulgarisation of what it is, but it works, its probably pretty much what goes on. In the minds of younger people? Not sure, in the minds of anyone who texts, its kind of like people my age.
Which I resent, by the way, for not having the balls to meet me somewhere to talk, or say, I wont talk to you cos you dont text lol.
I mean, come on.....
 lauramae18
Msg: 75
Serial texters
Posted: 12/14/2011 9:44:04 AM
I'm with you. I'm a texter. It's difficult to talk sometimes with my child around, or I'm at work. I do try to do one voice conversation a day. . But I love convertextions!
 5150Rivergirl
Msg: 76
Serial texters
Posted: 12/14/2011 11:55:08 AM
Work and children aere obviously reasons that it would not be wise for a phone convo. I am the same way when it comes to those 2 reasons.
I work all day, cant be tryin' the hook up via phone while Im tryin' to be discreet..lol. Since I do work full time, and my school age child is at childcare til 530ish, I wait until after bed for phone convo's. Between mealtime, straightening up house, quality time with my daughter, I even try to avoid texting til after bedtime.
What I mainly have a beef with, is never really talking on the phone to get to know someone and only resorting to texting.
I once had a guy a few months back, text a few times, then called when we both got off work. He actually treated this whole thing like a business interview deal. Talked all of 4 minutes. Said "ok, well, we will touch base later in the week as it gets closer to the weekend about going out. " No, "how was your work day, what are you in to.." etc. He called later, didnt get a sitter, and said ok, we'll shoot for next week" and that was it. I get that getting to know the person is what you do on the actual "date", but, this dude kept it so business-like, that it was a turn off and I never did call him back or bother with a sitter. Weird.
 babyqs4
Msg: 77
Serial texters
Posted: 12/15/2011 4:47:04 AM
I text everybody, it actually annoys me when I get a phone call. I only get a minimum amount of mins a month BC I am not a phone person. Texting is faster and easier but I agree that when u really want to get to know someone a phone call should be placed. I will call someoneif they are into voice verify or if I really like them so far through text. Otherwise I stay off the phone, I don't even call my mom on the phone so why would I call random ppl I meet. Apps make it easy to text ppl without giving out your actual phone number too (textfree) which is awesome.
 luvspjs
Msg: 78
Serial texters
Posted: 12/22/2011 6:23:33 PM
drop em! you tried they are obviously not interested or they would gladly accept.

I personally hate txting and dont even have a blackberry bbm thing. I think its just as impersonal to have conversation over txt as it is on the comptuer.

Which reminds me I dont even know anyones actual phone number anymore! I did when I was a kid because I had to push the buttons to call them!

ah Technology... and grrr to it too!
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 79
Serial texters
Posted: 12/22/2011 6:44:42 PM
I have to wonder...for all of those people who hate using the phone and find texting much faster and more convienient.. just how bad is phone sex in your lives - some things are worth taking time to share.
 mustardmoon
Msg: 80
Serial texters
Posted: 12/23/2011 6:41:53 AM

I very rarely talk on the phone. I don't care for it. I will text because it is not as time consuming nor does it require my full attention. I work 2 jobs. I don't have the time or the desire to have phone conversations. I'm not hiding my contact from someone nor do I have an "addiction". I just don't like to talk on the phone. We can talk in person. Not everyone who prefers texting has some sort of secret agenda

Thank you!! I despise talking on the phone!! I can have text conversation while doing other things. I can answer in MY time. Plus, I have more time to think about my response. I think cell phones are the greatest invention ever. And it would definitely be a deal breaker for me if somebody didn't have one.
 cooldog65
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Serial texters
Posted: 12/23/2011 8:43:42 AM
I am not a fan of texting. Texting has its purpose, but not for long conversations. For those that say it's faster than talking, that's a load of steaming, stinky monkey crap. Who can type that fast without numerous errors?

Technology...the 10 letter version of a 4 letter word.
 Fleuron
Msg: 82
Serial texters
Posted: 12/23/2011 9:17:40 AM

Which reminds me I dont even know anyones actual phone number anymore! I did when I was a kid because I had to push the buttons to call them!

Pushing buttons…how twentieth century.

Rotary dialing would have blown your mind. So much finger effort and time wasted waiting for the dial to return to place…how did we ever manage?

OT: I dislike talking on the phone. Cell phones may be a lot of things, but comfortable speaking into is not one of them. At least with the old fashioned phones you could hold it between your head and shoulder for long chats or getting a snack. These stupid little cell things are not made for conversations lasting more than a few minutes. So why not just text?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >