Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 83
Serial textersPage 4 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Who can type that fast without numerous errors?

There are a few fast typists who can type as fast and accurately on a full sized keyboard as the average person can speak but I would hazard a guess very few who can peck at thier blackberry or similar device that fast without it being incomprehensible. It's not just the typing errors that are lost but inflection in speech humour etc etc.

As far as not being able to do anything else while talking on the phone I don't know about others but I have prepared and shared a meal while talking to a girlfriend on the phone - ( this is land line stuff and may be too scary expensive for those with a cell phone ) I call that a good way to share some time together when you can't be there in person for some reason or another.

There are many other things you can share over the phone from a distance but it does require both people to be not worried about the cost of the call.

Personally I do not want to monitor texts to exchange one or two sentences of abbreviated english at a time as a means of communication.

The way people worry about the time they spend talking on the phone reminds me of when long distance rates from England from Canada were in the dollars per minute range back in the 60's and everyone in our family lined up to exchange a few quick words with our relative all the time worrying about the minutes.

I have seen more than a few posts from women who say that it is very important that a man be able to put together a decent profile and write a thoughtfull coherent message... from what I can gather this does not seem to apply to texts.

I am wondering if anyone has met someone IRL (after communication only by email and text prior to meeting ) and found out that they speak the same way they text... how sexy would that be? Has anyone thought that the way someone texts is sexy as opposed to having a sexy voice.

If someone is important in your lives why is it so hard to spend a few minutes talking on the phone. Being afraid to speak in public had been a common fear for many years. Is speaking with someone over the phone also a fear that is becoming prominent in our society.
 5150Rivergirl
Msg: 84
Serial texters
Posted: 12/23/2011 11:06:31 AM

just how bad is phone sex in your lives - some things are worth taking time to share.

thats what im sayin!!!!

I guess they sext? LOL
 cooldog65
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Serial texters
Posted: 12/23/2011 3:49:03 PM
At least with talking, your hands are free for phone sex. Try that with sexting. Try texting with lube covering your hand.

The main difference for me is talking brings a real deep connection on a more intimate/emotional level. Texting lacks that. Are people afraid of real deep connection?

Cell phones, at least the current models are not as ergonomically ideal as the flip open model for talking, but a headset takes care of that for me.
 Capn_America
Msg: 86
Serial texters
Posted: 12/23/2011 6:14:08 PM

At least with talking, your hands are free for phone sex. Try that with sexting. Try texting with lube covering your hand.

Hmmm...the thumbs down seems to indicate a man with an open mind who experienced....

But I agree with all the rest lol. Cant dig texting at all. Can barely dig phone, for me talking on the phone is just to make sure the person on the other end is reasonnably well balanced and doesnt have the voice of Roseanne Arnold or something. Real life, eye plunging, choking on your drink in shock meetings are way better
 cooldog65
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Serial texters
Posted: 12/23/2011 6:54:44 PM
^^^^^ Yes I do have an open mind Capn_America, but will not try to text with any kind of gooey substance on my hand.

Phone sex is always better when you talk. You get that mind/body connection. Can you beat that? No pun intended.
 LikeApples
Msg: 88
Serial texters
Posted: 12/24/2011 8:50:54 AM
For the most part, texting doesn't interrupt life. If you're on a phone call, the world has to stop. You can text while out with friends, while watching a movie, while driving (no no no no no...but I do), and even at work sometimes.

Beyond that, there are other advantages as well:

A text chat can last for hours. You keep yourself on the other person's mind for much longer than a 30 minute phone conversation.

You can be sure what you've said is what you wanted to say. With texting, you don't need to think too quickly and you never get the "Wow, that was such a stupid thing to say" feeling. Type it, read it, read it again, send it.
 5150Rivergirl
Msg: 89
Serial texters
Posted: 12/24/2011 8:55:56 AM

For the most part, texting doesn't interrupt life

interrupt life? If thats how you look at possibly getting to know a potential mate, I dont think dating is for you.

A text chat can last for hours. You keep yourself on the other person's mind for much longer than a 30 minute phone conversation.

Phone calls can last for hours too. I've had 6 hour phone conversations.
 LikeApples
Msg: 90
Serial texters
Posted: 12/24/2011 8:58:51 AM
Dating is for me. A potential mate is not.

Six hours on the phone? Oh my. I couldn't do it.

Of course, it's funny that you're telling me what is and isnt...while we're both on the same site with the same goals.
 JKLULZ
Msg: 91
Serial texters
Posted: 12/24/2011 12:48:56 PM
B.S.

I don't mind talking on the phone, but if you want to talk on the phone for hours, then forget it, let's do coffee.
 JKLULZ
Msg: 92
Serial texters
Posted: 12/24/2011 12:53:38 PM
"For the most part, texting doesn't interrupt life. If you're on a phone call, the world has to stop. You can text while out with friends, while watching a movie, while driving (no no no no no...but I do), and even at work sometimes.

Beyond that, there are other advantages as well:

You can be sure what you've said is what you wanted to say. With texting, you don't need to think too quickly and you never get the "Wow, that was such a stupid thing to say" feeling. Type it, read it, read it again, send it."

This is the dumbest thing I've read on the internet this week.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 93
Serial texters
Posted: 12/24/2011 4:53:52 PM
You can text while out with friends, while watching a movie, while driving (no no no no no...but I do), and even at work sometimes.

You do realize that you can also talk on the phone while doing all of those activities and more ... - talking at a movie is rude but some people do it . As far as driving goes you can have a hands free phone conversation. I have yet to see hands free texting - maybe by someone with really talented toes.

If you're on a phone call, the world has to stop

Are you telling me that you cannot do anything else while you are talking - I'm guessing you are not much of a multi tasker. Some people are able to carry of two or three conversations simultaneously while on the phone - my ex used to be able to type legal documents and carry on a conversation at the same time with me on the phone

mustardmoon
Msg: 94
Serial texters
Posted: 12/24/2011 7:10:03 PM

There are a few fast typists who can type as fast and accurately on a full sized keyboard as the average person can speak but I would hazard a guess very few who can peck at thier blackberry or similar device that fast without it being incomprehensible. It's not just the typing errors that are lost but inflection in speech humour etc etc.

Paddy, would you please join the rest of us in the 21st century? I have an Android that is all touch. It auto fills in words. I can text at lightning speed. Texting is more comfortable many times with a stranger. As I said before, you have time to think about your response instead of getting nervous and saying something stupid during a real conversation. If I'm going to talk to a person, I had just as soon be meeting them for coffee.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 95
Serial texters
Posted: 12/24/2011 7:23:33 PM
Thanks for the invite but I think I will stick with phone calls over texts. If someone is too nervous to be able to have a conversation with me on the phone do I really want to meet them in person? If I am turned of by the way someone communicates verbally then why not find out before meeting in person.

I can remember being neneneeeervous so nervous on the phone when talking to a girl that I worried about saying something stupid - I think I was still a teenager when that happened last. I really do not want to feel like I am back in high school when it comes to dating.

I look at texting and primative email and email as a primative form of letter writing ( remember writing in ink - no room for corrections unless you were patient enough for many rewrites - it revealed more about how a person is able to organize and deliver thier thoughts ). What the next evolution in communication - a series of one's and zero's delivered wirlessly to a reciever hooked up to our brain... ahhhh how romantic.
 cooldog65
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Serial texters
Posted: 12/25/2011 4:25:15 AM
^^^^^ Excellent points Paddy. More technology isn't always better. It's amazing we were able to date before cell phones showed up. There's a sense of emotional connection you get through talking you can't replicate through texting. Sometimes, less is more (technology).
 Fleuron
Msg: 98
Serial texters
Posted: 12/25/2011 11:14:21 AM

I really do not want to feel like I am back in high school when it comes to dating.

I’d love to be with a man who makes me feel like a teenager again. ~Sigh~

Now back to arguing pointlessly.
 cooldog65
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Serial texters
Posted: 12/25/2011 4:45:58 PM
^^^^^ Let's dance! (Footloose)
 TylerDurd3n
Msg: 101
Serial texters
Posted: 12/28/2011 2:01:29 AM
married probably
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 102
Serial texters
Posted: 12/28/2011 6:03:03 AM
I’d love to be with a man who makes me feel like a teenager again

Makes me wonder if the a fervent desire to be appear young and innocent again ( and too nervous to talk to the opposite sex on the phone ) is part of the attraction to texting - it was after all something that kids took to first and adults adopted later.

It would be nice to have the enthusiasm and blind faith I had as a teenager but in order to do that would we not have to erase all that we have learned in the meantime? Do any women out there want to be with a man in his 50's who knows as little about women ( and himself and the world ) as a teenage boy?
 cutenperky2
Msg: 103
Serial texters
Posted: 12/28/2011 2:01:34 PM
maybe they can only text cause there wife is around or there girlfriend
 Fleuron
Msg: 104
Serial texters
Posted: 12/28/2011 4:45:19 PM

It would be nice to have the enthusiasm and blind faith I had as a teenager but in order to do that would we not have to erase all that we have learned in the meantime? Do any women out there want to be with a man in his 50's who knows as little about women ( and himself and the world ) as a teenage boy?

Whoops….my point flew by you completely.

The awesome, heated, heart-pounding , emotional and physical rush throughout my body is what I was referring to.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 105
Serial texters
Posted: 12/30/2011 5:38:30 AM
The awesome, heated, heart-pounding , emotional and physical rush throughout my body is what I was referring to

I got your point I was being obtuse. The feeling you are describing could also be decribing the reason some people participate in adrenaline sports or experiment with recreational drugs...

Oh oh catch that buzz
Love is the drug I'm thinking of
Oh oh can't you see
Love is the drug for me - Roxy Music
 scrappythetaz
Msg: 106
Serial texters
Posted: 12/30/2011 6:32:36 AM
How about having children around playing? And any parent who has little children know when they get on the phone the children want to know what you are doing and will constantly ask you questions.

How about the phone plan someone has? Sure there are unlimited nights and weekends.

And yes there are indivuduals who are players?

The right answer is to communicate with the individual your desires.

If they do not like what you have to say there is always "more fish in the sea".
 Kasp21224
Msg: 107
Serial texters
Posted: 12/30/2011 8:29:12 PM
Constantly talking to random strangers on the phone is stressful for some people. So its easier to just text them and figure out if you're actually going to meet . Screening people through a phone convo rarely works anyway unless they are so mentally unstable that just go on some kind of rant on the phone. Generally you have to meet someone in person to figure out what they are like.
 ChiSongbird
Msg: 108
Serial texters
Posted: 12/31/2011 2:36:15 PM
Avoid men who only text. They are full of bologna. If they can only text it is usually because someone is around. We are not 16 by a long shot. Real conversations are needed.
 mesmerized816
Msg: 109
Serial texters
Posted: 1/1/2012 10:34:06 PM
If a guy can't put the phone to his ear and have a real conversation with a woman he's interested in it is a big red flag and good for you for being done with them. Texting is convenient at times, but so many men seemed to have lost the art of real conversation and trying to romance a woman.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >