Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cooldog65
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Serial textersPage 5 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
^^^^^ The above 2 posts apply to both genders, not just men.

How did we communicate before 21st century technology? We talked. We just sucked it up and talked. Has technology turn people timid?
 njm7911
Msg: 111
Serial texters
Posted: 1/2/2012 7:44:38 AM
I may not be able to speak for all men, but I can say, I am sure there plenty of guys who may be a little shy at first and feel more omfortable getting to know you through texting first. Once they feel comfortable with you, then they will gladly talk o the phone. Besides this is 2012, the old-fashioned times are pretty much gone. If you want to talk to a guy, don't be afraid to step up to the plate as an independant woman and tell him. Don't just ignore him or think he is a loser. On that same note, it is 2012 and a lot of people text instead of talking on the phone. As for the comment that if they have time to text they have time to talk. Not always the case. I myself have texted people here and there while at work or in between different things. But sometimes you can't actually take the time to have a complete conversation. No I am not trying to make excuses. I am just trying to clarify what women think, which in "some" cases is wrong. Yes I am sure you will have your occasional weirdo who will never talk on the phone. But that doesn't mean all guys are exactly the same. Give a guy a chance to see who he really is before you judge him.

Thank you for your time and have a great day! I mean, thank u 4 ur time n hav a gr8 day!
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 112
Serial texters
Posted: 1/2/2012 5:09:38 PM

Screening people through a phone convo rarely works anyway unless they are so mentally unstable that just go on some kind of rant on the phone

I whole heartedly disagree and I screen by using the phone for my renters - I will not interview someone as a potential renter if they can't manage a phone conversation. Likewise I will not bother meeting someone if they can't find the time, desire or courage to talk on the phone first.
 mustardmoon
Msg: 113
Serial texters
Posted: 1/2/2012 9:00:28 PM

How about the phone plan someone has? Sure there are unlimited nights and weekends.

Exactly. I share 700 minutes with 3 people. But texting is unlimited.

Constantly talking to random strangers on the phone is stressful for some people. So its easier to just text them and figure out if you're actually going to meet . Screening people through a phone convo rarely works anyway unless they are so mentally unstable that just go on some kind of rant on the phone. Generally you have to meet someone in person to figure out what they are like.

Yep, some of us hate talking on the phone. And nothing is going to tell you what a person is like more than an in person meeting. You can talk on the phone till you are blue in the face. You won't know if there is chemistry until you meet them. There is nothing wrong with email and text until you get to the point of meeting.

Oh, and there is an element of privacy to texting. I don't want my kids listening to my business. When I'm texting, they don't.
 cooldog65
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Serial texters
Posted: 1/2/2012 10:30:57 PM
My plan has unlimited cell to cell minutes anytime. I've been with Sprint since 1998. I have unlimited everything.
 C_R_A_Z_Y
Msg: 115
Serial texters
Posted: 1/3/2012 4:03:57 AM
I don't text, I refuse to meet anyone without talking on the phone first. THey can't do it, they can move on...that is how I roll.
 DMV_Living
Msg: 118
Serial texters
Posted: 1/4/2012 3:04:08 PM
A couple of times I've fallen into serial texting but a majority of the time I'll use it to break the ice before the inital call. Throw a quick one-liner or joke. Sometimes I don't even bother with texting until after the phone call. I just go by gut feel.
 cooldog65
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Serial texters
Posted: 1/4/2012 4:01:20 PM
I forgot about this as an option to texting (not a fan of)...sending voicemail back and forth. Voicemail has that option without calling phone. I remember doing this when I had an argument with my ex. If you want to hear a voice, a good way to bridge the gap between texting and phone call.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 120
Serial texters
Posted: 1/4/2012 4:24:57 PM
I find that since the advent of call display many people don't leave a message anymore and when you ask why they say well you could see that I called you it must have shown up in your call display - again I attibute it to text induced fear of verbal communication. They say one of the most important skills in advancing in a career is being able to express yourself verbally. I wonder if this obsession with texting is going to diminish that skill in those who don't practice.
 cooldog65
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Serial texters
Posted: 1/4/2012 4:35:22 PM
^^^^^ Unfortunately, that decline has already started. First handwriting, then eye contact, now verbal. Sad...

All these people who don't like to talk on the phone...what did they do before texting? Pass post it notes, smoke signals? No...they talked. It's a form of communication that treats a person as an option, not a priority.
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Serial texters
Posted: 1/4/2012 9:01:20 PM
Interesting preferences. I dislike phone conversations and texting. I closed my text plan, so I can't even receive text messages. It's great because now flaky friends have to call to cancel an arrangement.

I don't really have time or the desire to communicate with someone for long periods of time over the phone unless I have a specific reason for doing so, like discussing when and where to meet (although e-mail is great for that as well) or a phone interview with someone out of town. I Skype with close friends and family instead of phone to make it more personal.

If I had prioritize what I liked most it would go like this:
1. In person
2. E-mail (to communicate the most necessary stuff until we can meet ASAP)
3. Phone conversation (to communicate the most necessary stuff until we can meet ASAP)
No texting or IM - I find it completely impersonal
 Amelyssa
Msg: 123
Serial texters
Posted: 1/5/2012 8:17:16 PM
I can understand that nervouness may be a factor in intially communicating with someone, then texting is an appropriate starter. However after a week or two, I find texting to be rather annoying and impersonal. I'd rather have a conversation on t he phone with someone and see if there is a connection.
I stupidly wasted two months texting back and forth with someone as he was far to terrified to talk to me on the phone. I finally got fed up and told him to pretty much piss off. If he cannot put in effort to get to know me , then I do not have the time to waste on someone who puts a poor effort in getting to know me.
Leave the serial texting to the tweens
 redkatt
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Serial texters
Posted: 1/6/2012 6:42:49 PM
All I can write is this texting thing gets old very quick!

lobo65
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Serial texters
Posted: 1/6/2012 10:19:09 PM
I HATE texting. A few of the women I've dated that were even in my age group loved to text for some reason. I would rather talk on the phone to set up details for a date. Texting is very impersonal.
 5150Rivergirl
Msg: 126
Serial texters
Posted: 1/7/2012 8:24:01 AM

I may not be able to speak for all men, but I can say, I am sure there plenty of guys who may be a little shy at first and feel more omfortable getting to know you through texting first

if a guy is that shy to talk to a girl, he should not be dating.

i find that theory hard to believe though. if you are on a dating site, obviously you arent THAT shy to begin with
 Oneblaqndn
Msg: 127
Serial texters
Posted: 1/8/2012 1:10:43 PM
To me that is a coward hiding behind a keyboard, and something might be wrong with him. His looks may be busted, overweight or just lied on his profile about how he looks.. I would tell a guy to call me and not to text, because I drive alot and in GA it is illegal to text and drive, so if he doesnt call then to hell with him. At that point if he is still trying to text then I will insult his adulthood, and that usually works to make him stop and call or stop contact period.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 128
Serial texters
Posted: 1/8/2012 6:04:38 PM
I may not be able to speak for all men, but I can say, I am sure there plenty of guys who may be a little shy at first and feel more omfortable getting to know you through texting first

How old are you???? I think the last time I was too shy to talk to a girl on the phone I was in my early 20's. I guess texting and email is a good way to hold onto your shyness until later in life - not necessarily a good thing considering girls tend to gravitate toward men who are confident and being shy does not exude that.
 DeadPoetScience
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Serial texters
Posted: 1/10/2012 10:34:01 AM
It's called text messaging for a reason. Because it is a messaging platform, NOT a communication platform, NOT a conversation. You want to shoot me updates, ETA's for our dates, sweet nothings, etc? Text messaging is great. You want to have a conversation? Call me or face me. No exceptions.

The only "official" relationship I've had since my divorce was with a serial texter, and I'll never date one again. She admitted the only person she spent any amount of time on the phone with was her daughter. So many times we'd be texting all night, and then she'd say something weird and fall asleep, so I'd be left hanging until morning. Last Thanksgiving, we decide to be an official couple. Then one day two weeks later, she goes silent. After three days, I ask her what's up, and she proceeds to "remind" me that we broke up Tuesday night. I honestly had no idea what she was talking about, so she "re-explained" to me via text how we decided we were incompatible and that we were breaking up. To this day, I still don't know what she was talking about, because I didn't feel like we were so fundamentally incompatible. Why would I want to be in a committed relationship with someone whom I felt was incompatible with me?

Perfect example of someone who doesn't know how to communicate. She seemed ok in person, but she hid behind her texting, so she didn't have to work at getting out what she really meant, answering my rebuttal questions, etc.
 kirb32
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Serial texters
Posted: 1/17/2012 6:08:42 AM
Not everyone likes talking on the phone. Personally after work i cant stand to talk on the phone but that could be because that is what i do for 8 hours at work. If I have to I will but i prefer not to.
 cinsav
Msg: 131
Serial texters
Posted: 1/17/2012 6:47:52 PM
if a guy is that shy to talk to a girl, he should not be dating.

i find that theory hard to believe though. if you are on a dating site, obviously you arent THAT shy to begin with

It's not about being shy... texting is a GREAT way to communicate. There are those of us with actual careers that are demanding. And, while I may be at the office or in the field I am thinking about you... HOWEVER, I don't have time to get into a 20 minute conversation listening to you complain about how Nancy, two cubical down from you, stole your Activia from the breakroom fridge for the third time this week.

I can shoot you a text asking you how your day is going, in hopes that you'll also recognize that I am while I am busy I am still thinking about you.

And you ARE right, being on a dating site DOES mean you aren't that shy. But don't assume that just because uses texting more than talking that he's "scared of girls." Unless he's unemployed and not going to school... then yeah.... in those cases.... you have a point.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 132
Serial texters
Posted: 1/17/2012 10:36:28 PM
There are those of us with actual careers that are demanding.

Yes and believe it or not people with actual carreers used to survive not so long ago without cell phones email or texting what did we do... we used the phone a land line for cryin out loud - just imagine the horror - and yet many of us still liked to talk on the phone after the working day was done - it was so much more efficient than smoke signals or morse code
 cinsav
Msg: 133
Serial texters
Posted: 1/17/2012 11:08:37 PM
Yes and believe it or not people with actual carreers used to survive not so long ago without cell phones email or texting what did we do... we used the phone a land line for cryin out loud - just imagine the horror - and yet many of us still liked to talk on the phone after the working day was done - it was so much more efficient than smoke signals or morse code

Gee imagine that... most of weren't born in 1952. We grew up with technology... we grew up in a different era... how dare we clamber to that which we know..... we should be like you! Walking through the snow, five miles, one way, to school with no shoes.... right?

Get over yourself. MY generation isn't yours. We have what we know, what works for us... sorry you don't get it, sorry you don't understand it, sorry if you're afraid of it.

Stop trying to force or imply 1950's and 1960's behaviors to our generation.....

I really felt the urge to tell you to stop getting our way, driving 20 miles under the speed limit, completely lost with your handicap sign hanging on your mirror, with your "my great grandkids are honor students" bumper sticker, and of course those lovely "Terminator" sunglasses you wear over your prescription lenses.... but I promised myself I'd start being nicer on PoF..... so I'll let you slide. THIS TIME.
 bridge2crescendo
Msg: 134
Serial texters
Posted: 1/18/2012 8:49:41 AM
I say the key here is balance. As some clearly would rather text, and other's woul clearly rather talk. I disagree that is a red flag. It is a prefrence. You might be offended if someone judged you for yours? Sure, some folks may be trying to work something on the side. Some may simply be shy. Some may have limited minutes. Some may be busy. For those that work a lot (or have kids around in ear shot,and privacy in diologue is desired) text makes a conversation still possible.
Don't hear me say that there is no value in actually calling (or taking a call). That should clearly happen at one point.
Call him. But don't judge him if he text's a lot. That's not fair.
 wookiex
Msg: 136
Serial texters
Posted: 1/18/2012 3:57:33 PM
love these forums, lol it's better than any reality show out there!!

there's an app for iphone called Voxer, voice texting. stop bickering now :p
 cinsav
Msg: 137
Serial texters
Posted: 1/18/2012 6:37:21 PM
Well, young man, in about 25 years, when you actually have something of value to protect, you'll probably eat those words.

However, since you mention it, let's talk about YOUR generation:

You have probably the greatest amount of debt in the history of mankind. The "I want it NOW" spending mentality has left your generation so deep in debt, YOUR great grandchildren will still be paying.

Some dude from the projects is out 'scratching' my record collection and calling it music.

Cell phone usage behind the wheel now causes nearly as many accidents and fatalities as drunk driving. All just because it was more important to tell your buddy your fart was louder than his than it was to watch the road.

I really feel the urge to tell you stop signs are not a suggestion, turn signals are not optional and it takes that pine tree 100 yards in front of you to stop doing 50 over the limit before the blue lights do.

It's more important to drive a flashy car, buy $400.00 sunglasses and $100.00 jeans that look like they were bought at Goodwill.

Can't have a conversation unless there's a screen in front of you, created reality TV because watching someone else's 'drama' is a whole lot better than dealing with your own baggage.....

you'll be lucky to survive to create the next generation....

Ok I'll play.

Where do you think my "I want it NOW" generation came from? If I'm not mistaken wasn't it YOUR generation that raised us? Wasn't it YOUR generations' amazing parenting skills that created us - note the sarcasm.

And, before going further - I sure as hell prefer the guy in the projects using irrelevant Frankie Vallie records to make better music. Sorry, I know you miss ole Frankie... I'm sure you had the honor of seeing him live in concert on your 40th birthday.

BUT - I do agree with you! Driving while using a cell phone is moronic.

However, I am grateful for my Droid... Opps... sorry... one of those new fangled gadgets that you can talk into and it uses magic to send your voice across the airways - anywhere in the world! Less you have TMobile than you're screwed.... but anyway. I can do EVERYTHING on that little devil box. Pay bills, check stocks, email, text next Friday's booty cal... I mean date, take pictures. I know this all still very new to y'all, but using a stone tablet and chisel just isn't conducive to us whimper snappers' busy lives.

I will give you that we do drive a little fast a little often... maybe it's because we actually have places to GO and things to DO. We're not heading to McDonalds early in the morning so we can take up 15 tables, drinking coffee and spending five hours debating on who Hot Lips Hoolahan should have hooked up with. We are busy with work and life. And, sure, maybe we do run the occasional yellow light or coast through a stop sign now and then. That's because we still have our reflexes... our reaction times are still quicker than a three toed sloth... so we don't have to start slowing down at an intersection four blocks away, like.... some people I know. Again, we don't drive 20 and 30 miles under the speed limit. We don't slam on our breaks in the middle of intersection because we've forgotten if we were actually heading the doctor (for the 10th time that week), the pharmacy to collect out 47 bottles of different pills, or to the bingo hall to hit up on Francine, after all she's just recently become "single." -- now's your chance.

Let me agree with you on another point.... yes... reality TV is atrocious. Don't blame me. I don't watch it. Your generation did give us Gunsmoke and A Man Called X - so I'll give you that much. But, you also gave us Leave it to Beaver (which I actually thought was an adult entertainment video.... till I saw it... then I wished I was watching an adult entertainment video) which in itself zero's out the aforementioned classics. And, don't try to make fun our SitComs.... I have two words for you.. "Happy Days"

My generation is pretty squared away - we have our faults as does every other generation. But, we making strides... huge strides. We are making technological breakthroughs that were once only dreamed of in science fiction writings, we breaking down racial barriers, we are realizing our impact on the planet and making changes, we are growing - despite our short comings and imperfections.

Texting and cell phones are what we use. Don't knock it because you don't understand it.

Oh and before I go.... a little reminded... "Every senior citizen should have life alert!!! Now you can go back to browsing the AARP website and complaining to your friends about how the government is going to take away your Medicare and "soshal" security.

** Disclaimer** before any of you get all worked up - we're not being serious here - we're having fun at each other's expenses. No one is trying to insult or hurt the other's feelings... it's all in fun**
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >