Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sk1960
Msg: 16
The Irish Government Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Well my friends ... Ireland and Europe is not alone in their financial woes. I won't attempt to minimize it, but here in Canada we are about to see a National budget rolled out by our government that will rival any European cuts. Rumours have it that we will see up to 100,000 civil service jobs cut, along with a myriad of day to day services for Canadians - even now I have heard stories of up to 2 months or longer waiting for Employment Insurance first cheques to arrive .... I read in the paper that the Premier of our Province were recently in Ireland to invite you all to come to Saskatchewan .... cause jobs are so plentyful - and I heard they had to increase security and crowd control because so many showed up for job fairs. Employment is on the rise - housing vacancy rates here in Regina (our capital) is at about 1% - with average salaries starting at about $15 Canadian and the average 1 bedroom apartment between $800 and $1000 - there isn't much left over ... Remember our tax rates are about 35% on an average. that is not to say that life is still pretty good here .... for the most part, but if there is anything I have learned its that the grass is not always greener (well except in Ireland that is ....:)
 ControlledFolly
Msg: 17
view profile
History
The Irish Government
Posted: 3/16/2012 4:35:33 AM
At least the Irish press are trying to ask the hard questions, unlike the sycophantic lap dogs more worried about keeping their press pass or access to latest celebrity gossip we have in the UK.

Not sure going back to the punt is a good idea right now, i think its too late, besides look at sterling, the uk isnt massively benefitting from not being part of the single currency except for 'identity'.

With the Euro nose diving, and the greeks have actually defaulted last friday ( not widely reported by main stream media) the normally other currencies notably the £ and $ should gain strength but they are not. Even the Asian currencies are remain static in relative terms. Something is very fishy here, look at the north american currencies US/CAN $ and mexican PESO, they are identical in exchange rates.

Single global currency anyone?

OK tinfoil hat off, but it all does seem rather odd, at the end of the day if the EURO crashes then the rest of the world will collapse apart from those places that will house ill gotten gains in offshore accounts and tax avoidance... hello Vodafone o/.
 MARS-MAN
Msg: 19
view profile
History
The Irish Government
Posted: 3/24/2012 5:03:12 AM
Never did think much of any Irish politician, always found them far too arrogant, devious and shifty, they are nothing but cheap sales men in expensive suits, selling ideals they know little about, to a population they know even less about.
 6stringsandotherthings
Msg: 21
The Irish Government
Posted: 3/26/2012 5:56:15 AM
Hi all, I have a question that some of you may be able to help me with. I have no opinion one way the other but this may help with a college paper I have to write. From what I understand of the politics N.I. Ireland all the sectarian issue basically started in the 17th century and progressed from there . It would seem to me that Ireland as a whole would want to unite after Margret Thatcher (for the most part) stated that G. Britain no longer wants too or holds any interest in N.I. In my view (which may be wrong) the Loyalist have been abandoned by the English. My question is; "why wouldn't the Loyalist want to unite with the R.O.I"? My intent is not to start "The Troubles" all over again and I understand this is a very complicated issue and I would like to hear from both sides of this issue from people living in Ireland. I don't want to start a debate I just to see the different views. If this is the wrong forum I apologize.
 6stringsandotherthings
Msg: 23
The Irish Government
Posted: 3/27/2012 6:05:55 AM
Hey biggles5000 thanks for the post. Best of luck to you and I will see if I can find a timeline of Irish history prior to the 17 century. Sadly, the current economics problems seem to be effecting every nation on the globe right now...........
 MARS-MAN
Msg: 25
view profile
History
The Irish Government
Posted: 3/31/2012 4:31:42 AM
I also rent, but if my Landlord even attempts to put up my rent to cover the Household Charge, then I will give him my notice and get somewhere else to rent, where I live there are plenty of other places on the DAFT website that landlords have had empty for months and will not only be willing to rent, but negotiate down the price as well.
 trollingtheline
Msg: 26
The Irish Government
Posted: 4/14/2012 5:27:37 PM
In response. Human nature has been the downfall of this great country for centuries. Hasn't this country always stood by and watched the fall? My family immigrated from Ireland years ago yet always spoke of the same plight. Yes, this is a golobal event, The gov't wants others to believe the lies (they always have) there most likely isn't any debt other than what has been lied about for too many years. When will Ireland respectfully stand up intellectually? Respectfully yours.
 MARS-MAN
Msg: 30
view profile
History
The Irish Government
Posted: 4/18/2012 3:43:20 PM
I agree, it will push a lot of people over the edge, especially as the 100 house hold charge will go up as well next year for most house holders and like most taxes they will simply go up and up. It will also have a knock on effect on an all ready depressed housing market, as all these extra costs will have to be factored into the running of any house hold, and I bet the banks will make provision for it when calculating any mortgage, making it even harder for people to buy a house.

Everything this and the previous Government has done has had a disastrous effect on Irish society as a whole, we are back to the bad old increasing taxation, mass emigration, increasing poverty, wholly arrogant politicians who stride around like lords of the manner, issue edicts and expecting that the people will not only suffer in total silence, but be grateful for it too.

But, the people of this country can not go without blame either, scandal after scandal about politicians taking backhanders for the last 25 years, and people still voted for them, still would not hear a bad word said, the "sure, he is one of us," mentality prevailed, people knew that the leaders of the country were on a gravy train, milking the system for all it was worth, AND STILL PEOPLE VOTED FOR THEM!!! It was only when the entire country was driven to the edge of economic oblivion that people woke up, and then what happens, they vote in FG as our rulers, the wishey washy FF wanabees.

May what ever GOD you believe in have mercy on us all, cos our Government sure as hell won't.
 MARS-MAN
Msg: 37
view profile
History
The Irish Government
Posted: 4/29/2012 8:36:05 AM
OI....us Martians had nothing to do with it :)
 MARS-MAN
Msg: 46
view profile
History
The Irish Government
Posted: 5/9/2012 12:47:28 PM
The treaty is already dead. The new French president (depending on who you listen to) wants to change the emphasis/tweak/renegotiate the fiscal treaty. The Greeks have voted in their droves against the old regimes that got them into the mess, the Germans can't get the two-thirds majority in their parliament that is required to ratify it.
And yet, we Irish are being told we have to say "yes," to a treaty that may have to, and quite likely will be rewritten.

It is all a complete farce, it really goes to show that politicians across Europe are stumbling around clueless and just making it all up as they go along.
Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  >