Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > What is dating like now?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SoBayNative
Msg: 26
What is dating like now?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Received the following email from you:
Try reading. The only "Pissy" response was supported by at least 5 other posts that spider was being nasty an mean spirited "Troll". It seems your looking for an argument. Good luck. You are being blocked

Why would you bother to email me then block me? Not cool. Why do you care? I suspect you'll be off here soon enough angry and bitter when it's your attitude. I never wrote a personal email to you. And it's spelled "you're." I reported your email.
 cotter
Msg: 27
view profile
History
What is dating like now?
Posted: 11/21/2011 9:56:40 PM
OP ... I square dance (also love wearing the petticoats as does poster #2) and I also do cued ballroom dancing ... used to help teach it. I've been dancing both of the above mentioned dancing since I was 19 years old.

The type of square dancing I do (Western Style) is called in English all over the world and I have danced here in the US ... in Canada ... in Germany.

If I'm at a bar, it's only to sing Karaoke ... not pick up men.

I've been to several POF parties and even sponsored some. There has always been some sort of dancing and it appears that it is the type of dancing that doesn't require any instruction.
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 28
What is dating like now?
Posted: 11/22/2011 1:27:02 AM
Dancing is not a requirement if you want to date.
I go dancing from time to time and most of the guys my age do not appear to have any dancing skills beyond bopping around to the tunes. It's all fun, you don't have to be Fred Astaire and the dance floor is usually so packed, you can barely move.

You can take dancing classes if you want, or turn on the stereo at home and dance by yourself. But it would also be good if you joined meetup groups for photography, arts, theater etc., which you list as interests. In my experience, meetup groups usually have twice (or more) as many women as men, so even by scarcity alone you will be popular.

And don't despair, starting to date can feel awkward after such a long time, but try to be friendly and approachable, you'll be fine.
Good luck

HeresL00kingAtYou
Msg: 29
What is dating like now?
Posted: 11/22/2011 2:54:43 AM
Others are cooking classes, wine tasting classes and art appreciation
 Ready_Real
Msg: 30
What is dating like now?
Posted: 11/22/2011 6:34:29 AM
Makes you wonder why there aren't more things that require less ---- whatever ---- for some of us who cook only for the purpose of ingesting healthful fare, could care less about alcoholic beverages and think that "all the fuss" over wine is fine but when a bottle of the stuff costs $700, it's socially unconscionable for people to spend that kind of money given so many needy members of the population, and can't draw stick figures.

Anyone ever join a bowling club or a tap dancing class for singles??
 rearguard*2
Msg: 31
view profile
History
What is dating like now?
Posted: 11/22/2011 7:47:21 AM
The major issue for me is what do you do with someone after a few "standard" dating activities? At this age most have a life full up with various activities that don't involve going out for dinner, drinking wine, concerts, etc, except on occasion. You need someone who will fit into some form of daily life which is built together.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 32
view profile
History
What is dating like now?
Posted: 11/22/2011 9:08:47 AM
I would happily do a cooking classs with Mr. Here's lookin but he is too far away!
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 33
What is dating like now?
Posted: 11/22/2011 10:10:42 AM

I would happily do a cooking classs with Mr. Here's lookin but he is too far away!

Wine tasting is good too. *We need a nice little wine glass emoticon*

But it is a good idea...lots of things available for meeting other singles. With meetup.com someone hosted a sushie making class. I thought that was pretty neat....doing something new, promotes conversation...and if that doesn't work out..hey, you can amaze your family and friends with your "cooking" (or not.. in this case) talents.

...mae
 Giggles10000
Msg: 34
What is dating like now?
Posted: 11/22/2011 10:56:17 AM
Actually I think if you don't like dancing then to go and meet someone and then never take her dancing wouldn't be very fair. I think the OP should find things he likes to do and see if there is a meetup group for it and look for a lady that way. If you find someone who shares your love for a hobby then you have a good start toward building a future together; but if you go dancing with the intent to find someone and never do it again the lady is going to be resentful in the future that you never take her dancing.
 ohenryx
Msg: 35
view profile
History
What is dating like now?
Posted: 11/22/2011 10:58:47 AM

rearguard*2:

The major issue for me is what do you do with someone after a few "standard" dating activities? At this age most have a life full up with various activities that don't involve going out for dinner, drinking wine, concerts, etc, except on occasion. You need someone who will fit into some form of daily life which is built together.

An excellent question. If you find someone with whom you have a mutual attraction, the first few dates are easy. But "dinner, drinking wine, concerts" are not things that most of us are wanting to do several times a week, after the initial glow wears off.

Maybe this is why so many relationships these days wind up as FWB?

Ring...ring...

"Hey, it's me. What are you up to this evening?"

"Nothing, just watching a little TV. Why?"

" You want to come over and hang out?"

"Why not? I'll be over in a few minutes."
 lotustemple
Msg: 36
What is dating like now?
Posted: 11/22/2011 11:26:32 AM

Who wants to dance? I just want to know if the guy's gonna put out after the first coupla dates or if he's wasting my Starbucks allowance.

This made me laugh, she was just being silly.

Seriously though, learn to dance if it appeals to you and want to learn. Don't do it to appeal to women. Dancing is not a dating requirement. Personally i would be turned off if asked to go out dancing by a guy i am getting to know. Don't want his hands on me until i decide if i like him or not.
 AintNoDeal
Msg: 37
What is dating like now?
Posted: 11/22/2011 5:59:58 PM
OP - Why are worried about dance? You never did it before, you have no interest, no skill, no experience -- let's face it -- you are NOT going to dance at any function.

The good thing is -- YOU DON'T HAVE TO! Women write "dancing" in their profiles because they aren't thinking, they're just filling space. How many women have you taken for a nice romantic walk on the beach? How many times has that happened in your life?

I've been to beaches dozens of times, plenty of times with girlfriends, and 95% of the time, the beach is crowded, it's windy, sand is blowing in the woman's face. She is not running in slow-motion like in some ancient movie. She is not at some secluded shore having an affair with an army officer like some even older movie. When you take a woman to the beach, she complains that the sun is too bright, the sand is too hot, it's too windy, the seaweed smells, the birds are pests, they don't want to touch the water or go near it. They wrap up their hair, eyes and face, and hunch over. They can't wait to get back inside to wash sand out of their hair. That's what usually happens on the beach.

What happens at a dance club? They don't like this song. Or the next song. Or the next song. Oh, wait, they LOVE THIS SONG! -- That's when all the women go to the bathroom to sing in the stalls.

DUDE!! Are you getting the picture? You weren't part of this scene years ago - don't worry about it now. Go back to your smooth moves you had back in the day. A little rusty, sure, but at least you have some experience to fall back on.

BTW -- dancing classes? Are you serious? Dancing classes are about some exercise and socialization. Women just want to get out of the house! You will NOT be dancing those moves at a dance club.

When a woman say she wants to go "dancing" it means she just wants to GET OUT OF THE HOUSE every once in a while instead of sitting on your rotten couch trying to block your roman hands.
 ohenryx
Msg: 38
view profile
History
What is dating like now?
Posted: 11/22/2011 8:56:25 PM
^^^ I usually agree with AintNoDeal, but I have to take exception to the above post. Dancing is a "good thing" (tm applied for). Many women really do like to dance, and how many opportunities are you ever going to have to hold a woman in your arms, and feel her body up close and personal? All of this without even asking her for a date, or paying for an expensive dinner.

If you don't know how to dance, then learn. It's like learning to swim, everyone should know how. No, not ballroom, not the tango or country line dancing. Straight forward slow dancing. Wait for the slow song, walk up, ask her to dance. If you're wearing clean clothes, and she can't smell you from 50 yards downwind, odds are she will say yes.

Now, with regards to what you said about "walking on the beach", yeah, I'll give you that one. Dead on.
 sensualsandie
Msg: 39
What is dating like now?
Posted: 11/22/2011 10:54:04 PM
If you want to meet women on here and the chances are slim so dont expect much.... Then I would go to dancing classes for sure and you make get a little trimmer into the bargain. We all like them fitter baby.......
 SWroadrunner
Msg: 40
What is dating like now?
Posted: 11/22/2011 11:27:26 PM
Your profile pic makes you look about 25. So are you serious or doing a research paper..

Group dance classes are really good places to meet ladies. Pick a style. Swing, jazz, west coast swing, lindy. You will be surprised. "Dancing with the stars" has really put new life into the activity.
 sassyscorpiochick
Msg: 41
What is dating like now?
Posted: 11/23/2011 12:22:04 AM
If you would like to learn to dance, try googling USA dance. It's a national organization and you should be able to email someone and find out where to take lessons. There are all sorts of lessons that are fun. Swing is really fun. Waltz is easy if you'd rather not jump around. Dancing is a great way to meet people. They usually hold social dances somewhere near where the lessons are held. You will have your pick of ladies to dance with.

I took lessons for a long time, and it really filled a hole in my life at the time. That being said, my guy does not dance, refuses to take lessons, but dancing isn't everything!

Figure out what you'd like to do, a bowling league or a book discussion group WHATEVER! lol

Send out a few messages, and take someone to lunch. That's what dating is like now. It's getting to know someone, just like it was years ago.
 takingmytime3309
Msg: 42
What is dating like now?
Posted: 11/23/2011 4:46:28 AM

Your profile pic makes you look about 25. So are you serious or doing a research paper..

My post was specific to dancing, so I'm not sure why anyone would question my intent. Thanks for the compliment.

No, that actually is my recent picture and I actually am 49. I have always looked significantly younger than I really am. Made it hard to get into bars when I was younger. Back then women my age would always say "No" because I looked too young.

I was married at 27 and looked about 17. Comments were flying all over the reception.
Now, people usually say mid 30s. I never heard mid 20s until now.
Damn, if I really look that young I need to go to a cougar bar.

Since all I can find is formal dance studios, I put "Willing to learn" in my profile. Maybe a bigger fish will bite. Well, not literally.

Thanks
 trinity818
Msg: 43
view profile
History
What is dating like now?
Posted: 11/23/2011 2:25:07 PM
Personally, I think you are waaaay too sensitive for internet dating. You will find that given the anonymity of the internet, people will say all kinds of things to you. Best to laugh it off and not take anything seriously.

But, as far as dancing goes... I used to date a guy who was really good at swing dancing. ALL of the women in the bars he frequented LOVED to dance with him. If you are good at it, you will definately attract MANY woman in real life.

Good luck to you.
 zippytwo
Msg: 44
What is dating like now?
Posted: 11/23/2011 2:49:14 PM
What is dating like now? Darned if I know!
 cutiecaliente
Msg: 45
What is dating like now?
Posted: 11/27/2011 6:09:55 PM
what annoys me... is when someone disrespects you...
if you you are going to call...
call...if you do not...
it shows what type of manners you lack...
i treat people how i want to be treated ....
 jimbronson
Msg: 46
view profile
History
What is dating like now?
Posted: 12/1/2011 9:07:56 PM
I take dance lessons weekday evenings. I go 2 or 3 times a week for an hour or two and have been for over a year. Fox Trot, Waltz, Swing, Cha Cha, Rumba, Salsa, Merengue. You have the opportunity to meet many women. If the ones who attend dance class don't appeal to you, they have friends too. I've gotten invitations to parties and other social events as a result of attending dance classes. I recommend it. Beats bars for sure. Remember the adage: "Guys that dance get the babes!"
 msjuipter
Msg: 47
What is dating like now?
Posted: 12/2/2011 7:09:31 AM
I've always been very social so my thought are dating now not too different than then just so easy to set it up. Yes, lots of people are rude & in a hurry (if you're not interested then they want to move on, don't want to take time to really get to know you). Woman set the pace, I've been fortunate & have met many wonderful guys, just not the right one yet. Takes a while for their true face to be shown. Have fun & don't take things too seriously, enjoy yourself & as time goes by it will all come natural. Good Luck, keep us posted.
 54hollywood
Msg: 48
What is dating like now?
Posted: 12/6/2011 5:18:30 PM
I was married 39 yrs to a wife that didn't dance a step and neither did I. At 58 I found myself divorced and dating. I also found out that danceing is fun and good exercise. I hit Blues Bars and Jazz clubs. I also catch Polka in the fall. There are a few swing bands around and that is great fun.
Just get up and act like you know what you are doing. No one else know the righ way and who cares anyway. Old Jim
 chrylann
Msg: 49
view profile
History
What is dating like now?
Posted: 12/7/2011 5:25:45 PM
So, if you are a good dancer, you are a good lover. I am a fantastic dancer, no really.

Sex is not only expected, but most of the time, that's all they want (Which is one reason I "go dutch" and the second reason is, I've heard so many men women are looking for money, someone to pay their bills, etc. I don't want your money, nor need your money.

Males havent changed much. I think we are all pickier, because we don't want to make the same mistake(s) twice or three or four times, so we step carefully and slowly into the pool of fishies, and because we don't have as much time to recover from the mistakes at our age, and finally, we'd rather live alone than live in misery again.
 JAXDiver
Msg: 50
view profile
History
What is dating like now?
Posted: 12/7/2011 6:08:48 PM
Well, I believe enough women told you to learn to dance! LOL

Find a studio which has several types of dance and see which you like. I suggest learning one very well. You won't be able to sit and you'll get to meet good people. It's actually a lot of fun.

Now, what the ladies haven't mentioned is Yoga! Stretching is more important after your forties and yoga is good for you too! [wink, wink]
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > What is dating like now?