Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Girls in the Military      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 16
Girls in the MilitaryPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I would date someone in the military. I would have to really like her, though, because for the relationship to progress we would need quality time together and bonding, both emotional and physical.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a week or two a month to be on my own. If I really liked her, I wouldn't cheat a bit. But, when she is home, we have to make time for each other or it's a wash.
 OyVay...
Msg: 17
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/21/2011 5:25:28 PM
Not at all the same, but somewhat similar, since what I am going to say is not military related.

Over the years, I have known a number of guys who work in the boats, tugboats. They work a schedule of one week on, one week off in many cases. Their trips can take them offshore, up and down long rivers, or just harbor runs.

It can allow you to live just about anywhere, flying to and from your gig. Many have told me it can put a strain on their relationships, especially new ones. Many people want to know they can see their loved one every day, or at worst several times a week.

It takes a unique and self sufficent person to accept this type of life. Some just aren't cut out for it. Best to have a long and honest discussion, that this will be your life for the forseeable future, if not your entire career.

Good luck.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 18
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/21/2011 6:17:04 PM
^^^ What she said, and a big +1 on the THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!
 Casper66
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/21/2011 10:16:15 PM
Everyone is different some can handle long distance relationships and some can't, my Dad was in the military and later was a longhaul truck driver gone for weeks at a time but when he was at home we made the best of it and those are my favourite childhood memories. My Mom had to be strong because essentially she was a single parent when my Dad was away, some will be able to this and some won't. You just have to keep on looking OP and be honest about the time you have available to devote to the relationship, building trust takes time which is needed in this type of situation.
 smokincigars
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/21/2011 10:37:37 PM
As a veteran, first let me thank you for your service to our nation.

Is your military service a turn-off to men? For some, it will be. For others it may be a turn-on. And for still others, it won't make a lot of difference, except ...

... Your job is going to sometimes interfere with your social life, especially where civilians are concerned. Alerts, exercises, night and weekend duty, lots more -- depending on what you do and where you are, it may not be worse than the demands of a civilian job -- but it probably will be.

Every now and then, it will completely disrupt any relationship and temporarily disrupt even casual dating, when you are reassigned or deployed far away. Even going on leave can punch a temporary hole in your social life, unless he goes with you.

But as a military woman, you have a big advantage over the women "outside the gate": military men inside the gate with you. It's not a good idea to date the guys you work with, and there are restrictions on dating those of significantly different ranks, but the average Air Force base has several thousand uniformed personnel assigned and the men outnumber women by a sizable margin. You can't help but be popular with the single guys on the base! Just remember that HE can also be deployed or reassigned at any time too, and unless you are married the odds are you won't see him again for several years, if ever.

You have a few other advantages over many civilian women. First, you will be in excellent physical condition, that's required by regulations -- no fretting about your body looking good, it will be. Second, you will have a steady job and income, which means you can go out to meet guys when some civilian women will be too broke to go anywhere. Third, you will almost certainly know more about understanding and dealing with good men, and how to identify the bad ones, because you will come into contact with both types on a daily basis. Fourth, you will probably have a job civilian men find interesting, even if they have no idea what you really do. Fifth, you will have a degree of self-confidence that many civilian women don't develop until they are much older than you, if at all; this can be like catnip to a lot of men.

Go for it!
 Ambrose85
Msg: 21
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/21/2011 11:20:27 PM
The only thing I have to say (take it as a compliment or not) I would of gladly taken a girl like you on a date. There is nothing wrong with a girl being in military, but as for me unfortunately there is a thing called fraternization which alas I cannot go past for you being officer and all of that. I am sure for someone attractive like you military should not be a problem though especially when it i seems that your profile is set for people who live close by anyway. Plently of men whould love to date a fly girl.
 BegrabMeinHerz
Msg: 22
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/21/2011 11:49:47 PM
Yours is no different than a lot of other jobs which require people to be away for long periods of time. Some people accept it and some don't.

Since you're looking for dating and don't say if your looking for exclusive dating it really doesn't matter.

If you're looking for that relationship type of event you will meet two types of men.

The one that will be devoted.
or
The one who will enjoy cheating on you when your gone.
 JCinVicBC
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/22/2011 5:01:05 AM
I don't want to date anyone in the military. However, I do think girls look sexy in BDUs.

That said, I did hit on my friend's CO once back in high school. She was really cute.
 country_grl_24
Msg: 24
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/22/2011 8:09:15 AM
To all the vet and active military members who replied...Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!! :) To those who are not military but support the military...You Are Very Welcome!! :)
Capn America..u were the first to reply and i thank you as well for your sweet response. :)
I do feel better about this situation. I know some guy will accept me for what i do for a livn. Communication is def a must though! And skype. :) lol
Ambrose85...im not an officer. :)
 country_grl_24
Msg: 25
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/22/2011 8:11:10 AM
waitingfortimetoostop...
I am def looking for a long term relationship!! I do not believe in cheatn and cant stand a guy who does. I was cheated on and i will not let that happen to me again.
 Ambrose85
Msg: 26
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/22/2011 4:31:46 PM
well thats really surprising to find out. =)

Most of the fly girls I know was officers especially the ones on flight crews.
 walkingtall38
Msg: 27
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/23/2011 1:35:06 PM
Doesn't bother me in the least although I'm prior military myself so I know how it goes. Actually would be kind of nice to an extent because I can relate to the military lifestyle so gives something to relate on.
 sschooly
Msg: 28
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/23/2011 3:45:02 PM
Hang in there. I had the same problem when I was active. I was TAD constantly and it's hard I know. I did untimately date and marry but not everyone wants to be with someone that is gone half the time. It makes it really hard to meet and get to know someone.
 dmoman989
Msg: 29
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/23/2011 6:05:59 PM
If you ever get to the Kansas City area we can have a coffee!
 Stoic_Jester
Msg: 30
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/23/2011 7:58:45 PM
I'm in a similar position ... on call 24/7 365 and gone for an undetermined amount of time.

...It's a choice for us, a lonely one at times but like you said, an incredible life... If we are lucky, we find someone who understands and is a match made for our life styles . Someone like that is truly a catch !
 slimmer9999
Msg: 31
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/23/2011 8:09:01 PM
I don't think it matters. Military women are in pretty good shape, and that is hard to find these days.
 angelo0311
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/23/2011 8:47:33 PM
serious turn on . leaving all the time sucks but i get it .I would assume most people would get that .Im sure theres also people who think cause your in the military you might be a little too tomboyish . Im a former marine ,i know most girls in uniform arent like that .
 ALadyNotaTramp
Msg: 33
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/24/2011 12:59:16 PM
To all our active and former military... men and women alike...

THANK YOU!

We civilians can only know a part of what it's like for you. But so many of us are behind you 100%.

And those who aren't... you are entitled to your opinion.... but keep it to yourself.
 Ms Cheevious
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/24/2011 2:10:53 PM
THANK YOU for your service to our country.

It's a choice for us, a lonely one at times but like you said, an incredible life...

I agree, absolutely a wild and incredible life! A neverending E ticket ride. Hang in there!

I did 24 years myself (75-99). Good times, bad times...... lots and LOTS of times I wondered WTF am I doing here?????........however, I have NO regrets. Wouldn't trade those experiences for anything.

If we are lucky, we find someone who understands and is a match made for our life styles . Someone like that is truly a catch !

You WILL find him ....just be patient, and DON'T settle.

blueceleste - like i said the american military is fighting a lie so i doubt u would know what that means.

Enlighten us.

blueceleste - my bf was in the air force (b4 i met him) for 5 months they kicked him out cuz he has "small hands for a man."

gurl, please .............THIS is the guy who told you we are fighting a lie?.

blueceleste - that is why i wont join the military

AR 600-9 and the other services' equivalent regs is just ONE reason why you CAN'T join the American military.
 Capn_America
Msg: 35
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/24/2011 2:21:32 PM
Hey Mischevious, just took a quick look at your profile. I'm pretty sure you lied about your age, cos you look stunning! Really really! Anyways, didn't want to do a public display, but restrictions prevent me from messaging you, I just felt a compliment was deserved!

christyis4real
Msg: 36
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/25/2011 8:32:35 AM
I am thankful that you dont want to be with a military guy cuz they are one of the most respectful, hardworking, dispiline kind of men. They deserve a good women. Not a closed minded, ignorant, selfish b****.

HAHAHAHA You are kidding right? You should have said "A LOT" of Military guys are respectful,hardworking, and disciplined". Just because a dude is in the Military, doesn't mean he's automatically the " All American Hero" who arehardworking,respectful and disciplined

Trust me, I have experiance with this subject.

Thank you for your service, and I will say that if a man TRULY falls in love with you knowing that you are a Military woman, then he will wait for you and work out the strain on the relationship due to you being away on TDY's, Deployments and Excercises. Takes a strong person to be a Military Significant other.
 Draegoneer
Msg: 37
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/25/2011 7:27:57 PM
I didn't want to get involved in this 1 but I will because it deals with military personnel. I was in the U.S. Army for 4 active years and 4 inactive. I would have no quarrels with a girl in the military. I know what it's like being that service member who signed a contract. It's a lot different from a regular job that might require travel with totally different purposes and reasons for being.
 country_grl_24
Msg: 38
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/27/2011 5:34:43 AM
I have been in the military (airforce) almost 10 years. I just re enlisted for 5 more. I love my job and the benefits are great. My social life is lacking but i have to do whats best for ME and yall have said if the guy can handle me being gone, then there is nothing wrong with me staying in the military. :)

Thank You to all the vets!!! And Thank You to all the civilians who support us!! I am currently deployed for the holidays but i am fine cuz i have alot of support back home. :)
 PoeticPatriot
Msg: 39
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/27/2011 6:37:12 AM
Many men have grown soft and will make excuses not to date any woman. Knowing upfront that you're in the military tells me that you may get deployed to another country at any time and I'll simply have to suck it up and deal with it. I think it would be exciting and fun to be with a woman in the military because from my dealings, most of them are highly motivated individuals. They do their training, go to school, work a job and maintain a house. It's unbelievable if a man is blessed enough to have one.
 Allen63DH8
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Girls in the Military
Posted: 11/27/2011 4:17:15 PM
I would date a member of the military as I am not only a Veteran, but also a military brat. My dad was a WWII, Korean war, and Vietnam veteran. I know what it is like as the one at home as well as the one deployed.

I know the military lady who I date will not be able to be home all the time, but that doesn't mean we could not have a relationship. I know what it feels not to have support from home and not get mail while deployed. I also know how important it is to get that support and mail. The military member is defending and supporting our Nation. The spouse and family should support them. The military places that support so high that the mail has the same priority as meals and ammunition. People need to realize and understand how important that support is, especially if they are in relationship with a member of our military.

To me, a relationship is not about "me, me, me". It's about how well both people in the relationship places the other before self. The moment one or the other fails to place the other person first, the relationship fails.

Date a military girl? Faster than Infantry calls in Artillery!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Girls in the Military