Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  > How Would You Fix CA?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Gogetter56
Msg: 482
How Would You Fix CA?Page 21 of 26    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26)
j

You have to be really out of touch with reality for what the majority of US Citizens are dealing with on a daily basis as well as what mom and pop type small businesses have to deal with on a daily bases to be saying what you are saying.

First off, when you look at incomes, as someone has already pointed out recently in this thread, the cost of living vs. income is where the rubber meets the road. In CA the cost of living is extraordinarily high, which requires a lot larger income to survive, much less thrive than it does in Texas as well as some other States that are doing better by far than CA is.

Next, when you look at small businesses, the biggest expense for them, along with nearly any business is labor. California’s Labor Laws are some of the most stringent in the country. Big businesses can adjust the cost of their products to absorb the cost of doing business in CA but small businesses do not always have that luxury and that is especially true for mom and pop types of small business.

I’ve used my own experiences in business to try to explain this enough to know that it only gives people ammunition to call me a liar and attack me personally, because I can’t be telling the truth. Well, the truth is often stranger than fiction. That is a fact and from personal experience I can tell you that CA goes way too far in it’s regulations.

I can also tell you from personal experience how insidious illegal’s are to CA. All I have gotten in return for that is being called a bigot and a whiner.

You think the right is too far to the right only because the left has shifted so far to the left that they think that the right has shifted. I’ve got news for you. It’s not the people that watch Fox News that are the Sheeple. It’s the people that watch everything else BUT Fox News that are the Sheeple, because the only TV News that isn’t slanted way too far to the left IS Fox News.
 j_ff_ray
Msg: 483
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/18/2013 9:25:48 PM
You can pull all the emotional talking points out that you like. In the end though, the numbers don't lie. The California economy is better. It works. We earn more after taxes than most all other states. Yes we can improve but look around, this is hardly a broken land.

Would you like to see a chart of the REAL takers in this country? Let's take a look at which states give, and which take.

This chart is how much each states residents get back for every $1 in taxes they pay. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-19/blame-fdr-and-lbj-for-moocher-paradox-in-red-states.html

Looks to me like it's the so called 'blue' states supporting all of those red states. Why is that? Why are all the arguments being floated here proving to be so wrong when applied in the real world?

The Moocher Myth is this: People who vote Republican are successful, responsible strivers who pay taxes and keep the U.S. government afloat, while people who vote for Democrats are irresponsible moochers living off government programs. The modern right is fond of claiming that the 'liberal states' on the map are the “sense of entitlement” states.

But research then and now has pointed out the EXACT OPPOSITE conclusion, that the states that got the most per capita in federal dollars were more likely to vote for Republicans. It is almost an exact match...

The real reason?

Voters in net tax beneficiary states have the luxury of voting for presidential candidates who pledge to cut taxes and halt the expansion of government while knowing that their congressional delegations will continue to protect federal spending.

In other words, it's a giant lie to justify the money that is LITERALLY taken from the pockets of Californians. You guys are getting ripped off and abused alright, you just have your fingers pointed in the wrong direction...

While you are busy pointing at all your neighbors, the 'red states' are quite literally scooping up a large portion of your federal tax money.
 OCRebellion
Msg: 484
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/18/2013 9:38:34 PM
Oh J...once again it's the song and dance, with postings that are VOID of substance. The bloomberg article you posted is an "opinion" piece. Did you fail to read that "disclaimer" at the bottom of the article. For someone that seems to talk a lot, you have nothing to say. I mean ...seriously...is your a$$ jealous of the sh*t that comes out of your mouth!

PS - you're right...the numbers I posted don't lie. They are national statistics, not opinion pieces.
 j_ff_ray
Msg: 485
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/18/2013 9:41:28 PM
I mean ...seriously...is your a$$ jealous of the sh*t that comes out of your mouth!

Lovely and so ironic.

j_ff_ray
Msg: 486
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/18/2013 9:58:07 PM
BTW these numbers aren't opinions, they come from the U.S. GAO in DC.

If the people arguing here really cared about getting 'what they earned,' they'd pay attention to the real money grab.

Our state taxes are 1% over the national average. Total. That amounts to approximately $500 more per year for a Californian who earns $50,000. Not trivial but we also get a lot for that.

Meanwhile, OVER 25% of your FEDERAL taxes, a much larger tax, goes off to other states. That amounts to SEVERAL THOUSAND of your dollars, every year, that you are taxed but which go to others.

If you truly cared about income redistribution and 'keeping what is yours,' you would be far more concerned with the thousands of your Federal dollars that leave our state borders every year. That money far exceeds the money spent on the many state problems listed above, most of which are simply not accurate or what they imply.

Perspective anyone?
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 487
view profile
History
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/18/2013 10:24:09 PM
$630 billion in debt works? Double the next closest state. Why are our wages higher, thank the unions, why are we broke, thank the unions too. Higher wages means more revenue for California...where the hell is it? The state spends it faster than they make it. We now have a dwindling business base which leads to dwindling taxpayer base.

It's working? California has 1 in 10 people unemployed

What the hell is working so well? Higher incomes...BIG DEAL we don't get to keep it.
 j_ff_ray
Msg: 488
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/18/2013 10:35:27 PM

California no longer "teaches" students, they "train" them to pass standardized tests in order to jockey for the largest amount of money for their school district - this is out of the mouths of many teachers at several public forums and, to be upfront and honest, been told directly to me in meetings

Here is the one thing I completely agree needs correcting. Standardized testing as means of punishment and reward for districts encourages abuse and de-emphasizes real education and critical thinking. Bad idea, even worse execution. I was once a teacher too.

The US though puts more emphasis though on higher education, whereas most other nations focus on pre-18 so in the end, we surpass most. That is why you see so many foreign students here. If our education was really that bad, we wouldn't be able to compete, yet clearly we are. Forest for the trees...

But yes, if we got rid of CA standardized testing I'd be happy too.
 j_ff_ray
Msg: 489
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/18/2013 10:45:50 PM
Tu, we had a surplus in this state until the Enron deregulation fiasco, which drained our coffers overnight.

Next, we elected an inexperienced actor as our governator and the world economy crashed, breaking our state budget.

We elected Brown, and we now have a balanced budget, we are on the road back. I fail to see the same political angles that you do.

BTW, I have heard the "I'm leaving California!' rant for about 30 years now and it makes me giggle. They come running back when they discover that Burger King is an upwardly mobile career and they run out of money.

I grew up in scenic small town Montana and watched wave after wave of people from CA come and go back, always complaining about taxes and money - but unable to make a scratch in the dirt to pay their bills in Montana. The fantasy doesn't match the reality.

Life is damn good here. You will appreciate it more if you leave.
 j_ff_ray
Msg: 490
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/18/2013 10:57:42 PM
$630 billion in debt works? Double the next closest state. Why are our wages higher, thank the unions, why are we broke, thank the unions too. Higher wages means more revenue for California...where the hell is it? The state spends it faster than they make it. We now have a dwindling business base which leads to dwindling taxpayer base.

It's working? California has 1 in 10 people unemployed

What the hell is working so well? Higher incomes...BIG DEAL we don't get to keep it.

Actually we do keep it, I did the math above.

North Dakota as an example weathered the economic collapse better than most states because it is an economy built around serving itself. Low paying service jobs don't go away in a collapse and that is all they had. The same holds true for a lot of depressed states. They didn't lose as much because they really had little to lose.

We however fill the world with exports and rely very much on a healthy world economy. When the world sneezes, we catch a cold. Our jobs however create exports that bring money home, a lot of it and it goes to the rest of the country, so that they can get by. See above posts.

You can look at left or right, or look at reality. In this case, the reality has nothing to do with politics. It is simple supply and demand, an export-based economy varies more than a service economy.

If you really want a service economy and want to give up the exports, I don't know what to say...
 j_ff_ray
Msg: 491
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/18/2013 11:38:05 PM
It’s not the people that watch Fox News that are the Sheeple. It’s the people that watch everything else BUT Fox News that are the Sheeple, because the only TV News that isn’t slanted way too far to the left IS Fox News.

If I was driving and noticed everyone else was on my far left, I'd check to make sure I wasn't drifting off the road.
 j_ff_ray
Msg: 492
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/19/2013 12:06:19 AM
J , I assume you to be a liar because you are not good looking enough to be this stupid.

Where exactly is that PhD from?

I don't doubt you have one. I just want to know who gave it to you.
 j_ff_ray
Msg: 493
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/19/2013 12:33:02 AM
Do they have a refund policy?
 OCRebellion
Msg: 494
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/19/2013 6:04:50 AM
Hmmmm....that's classic. And J...at what fine institution did you fail to finish your college degree? Perhaps you shouldn't knock someone else's education...especially given that you still have yet to post anything of substance.

Good morning Dr. Mike....let's grab coffee at one of the 6 or 7 Starbucks in our neighborhood ;)
 mamasboy069
Msg: 495
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/19/2013 6:17:50 AM
hahaha wat a buncha useless nonsense,jibberish crapola fueled by the pipe,er beer can have another 1
looks like yall been up all night chasen Neon Rainbows hahaha

nittwitts

hows that hope an change workinout 4 u?
ur only as good as ur worst employee.
dont trust folks who post in middle a night.
 j_ff_ray
Msg: 496
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/19/2013 8:33:00 AM
I see someone is stalking my profile. Try stalking a library next time, you might come out ahead.

Also a little sugar at Starbucks helps take that bitter, biting edge off of the coffee. Give it a try.
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 497
view profile
History
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/19/2013 8:47:00 AM
BTW, I have heard the "I'm leaving California!' rant for about 30 years now and it makes me giggle. They come running back when they discover that Burger King is an upwardly mobile career and they run out of money.

Well, I guess you could read about it if you chose to. It's called the 2010 Census (now dated 2 years) and if you read it you might find California failed to add a seat in the House for the first time in like 80 or so years. Did our population increase, yes thanks to immigration, which many might site as illegal. Oh and if you are curious, Texas added 4 seats.

I have always thought bigger meant better/more efficient. I mean after all we wish (well we do) to tax richer Americans/Califorians more because they make more, need less and can afford to give more...so why is it the most populated state in the union does not run more efficiently? Why is it that with all the revenue California makes we are in the hole. With liberal logic, California should be able to give the Feds extra, schools extra above and beyond what other states do...after all we make more. Yet the only way we remotely manage is to take more from our taxpayers.

BTW projections SUCK, what happened to California's 2012/13 projected surplus?
 j_ff_ray
Msg: 498
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/19/2013 10:47:32 AM
It's the ebb and flow of business TMF, we are an export based economy and our fortunes are going to ebb and flow with the worlds economic tides.

When the world economy is good, companies here do amazingly well. When pockets are tight, we are going to be the first to feel it. To blame it on partisan politics is missing the real problems and it leads to a failure to address them.

We could certainly improve and so could every state. I wouldn't want to mess with a clearly winning formula though, I have seen many other states and trust me, we really do have it good here.

BTW, our budget is balanced and we do have a small surplus. Amazingly.... From Christian Science Monitor, a very respectable publication:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2013/0123/Jerry-Brown-s-second-act-With-California-budget-balanced-what-now

j_ff_ray
Msg: 499
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/19/2013 11:11:55 AM
An interesting article that directly addresses the question of whether our taxes actually drive people from the state. According to a study shared by CSM, they do not.

Pundits love to scare their listeners with tales of impending doom, an age old formula, but those who take the time to actually research what these pundits say often find quite different conclusions....

... The research showed that millionaires not only were unmoved, so to speak, by their taxes being raised, “the highest-income Californians were less likely to leave the state after the millionaire tax was passed,” wrote Charles Varner and Cristobal Young in their report.

In fact, the richer the Californian, the more likely he or she was to stay, the study found. Nor did the data suggest that lowering taxes lured millionaires to the state.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/new-economy/2012/1101/High-taxes-don-t-drive-the-rich-out-of-California?nav=618205-csm_article-bottomRelated
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 500
view profile
History
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/19/2013 11:23:43 AM
CSM, I've read it...

Take a gander at the LAO

Chapter 1

The Budget Outlook

This publication summarizes our office’s independent projections for California’s economy, tax revenues, and expenditures from the state General Fund, as well as the Education Protection Account (EPA) created by Proposition 30. Our forecast is based on current state law and policies, as discussed in the nearby box.

The Budget Forecast

Projected $1.9 Billion Budget Problem Must Be Addressed by June 2013. The 2012–13 Budget Act assumed a year–end reserve of $948 million. As shown in Figure 1, assuming that no corrective budgetary actions are taken, we project that the state will close 2012–13 with a $943 million deficit. As discussed later, lower–than–expected savings related to the dissolution of redevelopment agencies (RDAs) and other budgetary erosions contribute to this shortfall. We also expect that the state faces an operating deficit in 2013–14—the difference between current–law revenues and expenditures in that fiscal year—of $936 million. These estimates mean that the new Legislature and the Governor will need to address a $1.9 billion budget problem in order to pass a balanced budget in June 2013 for the next fiscal year. This is a dramatically smaller budget problem than the state has faced in recent years.

http://www.lao.ca.gov/reports/2012/bud/fiscal-outlook/fiscal-outlook-2012.aspx

Also, Jerry touts a budget without the $40+ billion in special funding and a grossly underfunded pension.
 OCRebellion
Msg: 501
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/19/2013 1:15:42 PM
Oh J...yes, I took a look at your profile. Should we tell the forumites that you did the same to mine. So, by your "logic" you would be stalking my profile. As far as coming out ahead, I did that long ago - contrary to whatever you may convince yourself to believe. Your delusions don't make for reality, so continue to sprinkle and sniff whatever fairy dust your on.

You use CSMonitor as your "source"..come on. It's a slanted publication. Try using actual facts.

Also, about those millionaires ...yes, they are leaving the state - since the passing of prop 30. It's being written about quite consistently (I posted about that) and I personally know of some through my business dealings. The loss of those tax revenues will be realized towards the end of 2013 and definitely for 2014.
 j_ff_ray
Msg: 502
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/19/2013 1:38:51 PM
Yes, I was looking for a way to block you and a couple of other folks here.

This is an economics discussion and while there is obviously going to be a little back and forth, to get so angry that you have to start stalking my profile for something personal to use is just creepy and unstable.

j_ff_ray
Msg: 503
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/19/2013 1:47:45 PM

Projected $1.9 Billion Budget Problem Must Be Addressed by June 2013. The 2012–13 Budget Act assumed a year–end reserve of $948 million. As shown in Figure 1, assuming that no corrective budgetary actions are taken, we project that the state will close 2012–13 with a $943 million deficit. As discussed later, lower–than–expected savings related to the dissolution of redevelopment agencies (RDAs) and other budgetary erosions contribute to this shortfall. We also expect that the state faces an operating deficit in 2013–14—the difference between current–law revenues and expenditures in that fiscal year—of $936 million. These estimates mean that the new Legislature and the Governor will need to address a $1.9 billion budget problem in order to pass a balanced budget in June 2013 for the next fiscal year. This is a dramatically smaller budget problem than the state has faced in recent years.

TMF, a year ago we weren't having a debate about if the budget was actually balanced. We were discussing what to do about a 27 Billion dollar spending deficit.

That we are even having this conversation is a big win for us both and for everyone in CA....

mamasboy069
Msg: 504
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/20/2013 6:59:52 AM
Well looks like the Copy an Paste Crowd finally ran outta steam 4 magazine,book,political puter sites,an the rest of the nonsense bs to post from.Fuel 4 the Pipe is gone ,an the beercan is empty hahahah .
get rid of liberal dems runnin the place,,,entitlement programs for lazy ppl who wont work,they turned into a Pig thats continually sucken outta the well of freebies,,,an start enforceing immagration laws that r already onthe books
its all simple stuff,,,,an the Fake Treehuggers that r shuttin down all the work in this state,,,,,y u think gas in 5 bucks a gallon?it funds there bs, tree huggers there shud b a bounty on them

hows that hope an change workinout 4 u?
ur only as good as ur worst employee.
neva trust ppl who post in middle a night.
 j_ff_ray
Msg: 505
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/22/2013 9:38:53 AM
Well looks like the Copy an Paste Crowd finally ran outta steam 4 magazine,book, Blah blah buh liberal blah blah entitlement blah blah treehuggers, buh buh blah, blah blah immigration blah buh pig buh buh.

So winning an argument to you means outlasting your perceived opposition and then declaring victory when they tire of your bluster?
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 506
How Would You Fix CA?
Posted: 2/22/2013 4:51:19 PM
"Last man standing" gets the prize - is not just an old saying....
Show ALL Forums  > California  > How Would You Fix CA?