Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BMB81
Msg: 116
men asking why and how you're singlePage 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
It happens. I just tell them I just got out of prison and I'm enjoying my freedom! LOL And of course by prison I mean a long marriage.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 117
men asking why and how you're single
Posted: 2/21/2012 6:01:15 PM
I've been in & out of relationships, timing is everything...
 onceagain57
Msg: 118
Posted: 2/21/2012 6:49:25 PM
Well...DUH...get the same from woman too....come on....course then I have to tell em the story.....sheees!
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 119
Posted: 2/22/2012 2:16:29 AM
What they're saying is that the brochure and sales pitch seem interesting but instead of reading all the fine print they just want you to tell them where the crazy is hidden!
 canumeltme
Msg: 120
Posted: 2/22/2012 2:55:06 AM
i always say i choose to be and thats the way i like it. i dont need a man, i just like the companionship. i am choosey and havent found anyone worthy of me.
 MssCrystal
Msg: 121
Posted: 2/22/2012 3:32:59 PM
I get this alot and I always respond by saying "I haven't found someone who I feel meets my standards" which is the truth!
 AngelofHonesty
Msg: 122
Posted: 2/22/2012 4:23:23 PM
Most men say that if a woman is beautiful, remember men are VISUAL creatures. I get that remark on a daily basis! I usually respond by saying, it's because I have zero tolerance for bullshit, I'm too damn picky, and won't settle for anything less than a genuine gentleman. It's not a turn off to me at all, actually I consider it to be a compliment if anything.
 Infinity_G
Msg: 123
Posted: 2/24/2012 4:00:33 AM
Most men say that if a woman is beautiful, remember men are VISUAL creatures. I get that remark on a daily basis! I usually respond by saying, it's because I have zero tolerance for bullshit, I'm too damn picky, and won't settle for anything less than a genuine gentleman. It's not a turn off to me at all, actually I consider it to be a compliment if anything.

Usually, can already be assumed that a woman is beautiful, she has a boyfriend, at least where I live. Smaller towns, rather attractive woman aren't choosing to remain single.

They're usually already paired up with someone (or even married) the person they went to their senior prom with.

Though, I wonder how often those that choose to remain single, are they almost always turning down dates when asked out?
 astefko
Msg: 124
Posted: 2/24/2012 7:00:30 PM
I think most of the time when a guys says this its his way of attempting to compliment you & maybe express that he feels lucky to have found you.
 sarahsno1
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2012 6:03:43 PM
ask the same question back? if they think that their ok then why cant you be as you're both in the same situation? Dont get worried by these comments tell them the truth which is probably cos you havent met the right person, not rocket science me thinks!!
 juicyfruit21
Msg: 127
Posted: 3/31/2012 9:05:26 AM
I have been asked that question....and I just say because Mr. Right has not found me yet....but I've had many close encounters of the wrong kind. :) good luck!!
 motownmaniax
Msg: 128
Posted: 3/31/2012 10:18:20 AM
If I'm in the mood to respond (I used to get the question at least a couple times a week on here so got fed up with fielding every email) I flip it back. The usual answer is they can't find anyone that sparks a connection and they won't settle. Duh? Talk about answering their own question.
 lacalli
Msg: 129
Posted: 3/31/2012 12:37:04 PM
I'm finally out of the halfway house I had to live in after prison and finished the 3 month stint in rehab. I'm sorry I tried to kill my ex-husband while in an alcholic drug-filled frenzy. All I remember is a big kitchen knife and a lot of blood but now that I've been sober for 60 days my counselor says the memories will be flooding back and I can start processing them. But I'm lonely and I need a companion and in prison all the girls said POF was the best place to meet men so do you want to go out?
 OneGodfather
Msg: 130
Posted: 3/31/2012 12:41:46 PM

I'm finally out of the halfway house I had to live in after prison and finished the 3 month stint in rehab. I'm sorry I tried to kill my ex-husband while in an alcholic drug-filled frenzy. All I remember is a big kitchen knife and a lot of blood but now that I've been sober for 60 days my counselor says the memories will be flooding back and I can start processing them. But I'm lonely and I need a companion and in prison all the girls said POF was the best place to meet men so do you want to go out?
..... you owe me a new monitor now Lacalli.... *note to self dont drink tea when reading threads*
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 131
Posted: 3/31/2012 3:19:07 PM
Usually, can already be assumed that a woman is beautiful, she has a boyfriend, at least where I live.

That's pretty much anywhere, if the woman's not brand-new to town. Not necessarily a boyfriend, but many options on the line. I don't think the "why are you single?" line is a good one. Maybe in a light-hearted, side-comment sort of way, sure, in the context of flirting -- not as a big "question".

There are other ways to deduce why she's single, to get a better assessment. What she (or he) says isn't going to give you THE definitive full answer anyway. Especially on a first meetup/date. Some women are too picky than what they're really worth. Some are emotionally distraught. Some aren't single for too long, and you caught them at the right time with luck, etc. Some are psychologically incapable of finding a great match for them, because in their minds there will always be something 'not right' or 'wrong' (basically stems from fear of commitment/monogamy/going-steady/etc). And many (who may fall into an above category) just like being single anyway.
 a_Libra_rising
Msg: 132
Posted: 4/15/2012 4:43:03 AM
I was once asked by a young, local teenage girl who sat next to me on a bus going to the north of Thailand "Why are you so fat?" ...... Mind you this was almost 10 years ago when I was 20 + lbs lighter than I am now ...... WTF right? ... I could have tore her head off right there ... luckily however I'd been living in these parts long enough to know she did not mean this in an offending way ...

hahahahaha I would have told her, "cuz I ate your family for dinner and i'm going to eat you for dessert if you don't stop asking me stupid questions!!!"
 bethesdafoodie
Msg: 133
Posted: 4/15/2012 5:03:21 AM

i am choosey and havent found anyone worthy of me.

This is the kind of response, which while I admire, I tend to run as fast as possible away from.

Being choosey is one thing, but thinking very few people are "worthy" of you is another.

I've been there and done that as far as asking about why someone is single, and it really is one of those questions that unless you subconsciously know the answer and like the answer, it's better off just not asking it.

I've realized I really don't need to know that a gal is single because she's dating 5-6 guys at once, meeting a new guy every weekend, has a couple kids and doesn't have time for dating, hasn't been a female very long, is married,constantly gets caught cheating etc.

If I know the answer is somewhat palatable then I'll possibly flirt about why she should have a ring on her finger, but otherwise I've heard some pretty jacked up but serious answers.

I used to think that if a gal isn't ready to settle down I'll just let her know to give me a call when she is, but then I realized she's probably going to take a LONG time before wanting to settle down.

After a while anyone that's dated any number of party girls or mentally unstable time bombs knows instinctually "why" they're single.

When I get asked the question, it's pretty much always answered because I spent my prime focusing on my career instead of going out and partying.

I do feel that while the question itself is usually answerable based on how someone portrays themselves, it's an answer that should be able to be answered truthfully unless you have something to hide.
 nubeginnings64
Msg: 134
Posted: 4/15/2012 8:00:05 AM
Yeah, it's an extreme over reaction to pleasantries sent via email, since after one or two he hardly knows you & holding it against people is silly. I often let someone know they seem nice & if they take offense then it's their issue to resolve.
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 136
Posted: 4/15/2012 10:48:28 AM
I've been asked this so many times over the years. I say I was busy working & raising my 2 children, & didn't have a lot of time to date. Most of my free time was spent with my children.
 fall-blossom
Msg: 137
Posted: 4/15/2012 12:20:59 PM

Asking someone why they're single has got to be one of the stupidest questions.

Then I am guilty of this. One guy who got back in touch with me after six months who was gorgeous was asked this question by me. I met him in person finally (I didn't want to meet him initially due to the one hour distance) and he said I was a puzzle he wanted to put together after all these months had gone by. Well, I now know what he meant and he never contacted me again. The reason he is single is because he is taking advantage of his looks and physique and going out there to conquer and destroy and put another notch in his belt. And to top things off this guy is an educated seasoned real estate agent. I mean where's the respect in that? So, now I know never to ask that question again!
 ColeenAnn
Msg: 138
Posted: 4/15/2012 12:58:35 PM
I just tell him "I'm single and you're going to have to be pretty awesome to change that."
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 139
Posted: 4/15/2012 4:25:12 PM

Asking someone why they're single has got to be one of the stupidest questions.

I agree. And when I've been asked this silliness I respond with: "I could ask you the same question." And inevitably? The answer returned is classic: "I'm picky." And I think that's stupid as the original question. Does anyone really state the truth anyway? "I'm a jerk, women leave me because I am simply an ***hole." or? "I biitch all the time, I have a negative attitude and I think all men want is sex, so most don't stick around too long." Of course not!!! (And those answers likely aren't the real truth anyway, I'm just saying that the truth as to why I'm single may or may not be the REAL truth, but it's the truth as I see it. The "formers" in my life my have an entirely different view as to why I'm single.) My exhusband was a good father, likely the most handsome man I've personally even known, to die for funny, and basically a good guy. He just wasn't the right man for me as time moved forward. He was single because we divorced. Just like I have been single because we divorced. Does this realllllly need to be asked and answered? I think not. JMO
 arwen52
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2012 6:46:35 PM
I ask this question of guys when I first meet them. I prefer to ask it in person. The answers are fascinating. How someone answers that question can tell you a lot about them. I don't mind being asked at all.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >