Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Do YOU keep the Christmas spirit all year long? : )      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Padawan61
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Do YOU keep the Christmas spirit all year long? : )Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
"There are none so blind as those who will not see". Think about it.....

Why is it that the do-gooders believe themselves to be the only ones who can see??

If you must rely on the "pay-it-forward" system ... meaning you have benefitted from someone else's generosity at one time ... perhaps you're not as "all-seeing" as you may think. Because if you were not so blinded by absolute faith in God, there would've been backup plans to deal with life's uncertainties ... without having to depend on the charity of others. Think about THAT.

Another one of those proverbial lemons is ... "giving back to the community" that charities use to brainwash people into giving. "Give back" ... why?!?! Some of us have never asked the community for anything so we have nothing to give back.

I shall remain "the piss in everyone's water supply" ... thank you very much.

or would you like somebody to come along and offer you a hand UP??

There's no such thing as a hand up. That's a clever euphemism for hand OUT ... just to make it sound more appealing to the recipient.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Do YOU keep the Christmas spirit all year long? : )
Posted: 12/3/2011 8:27:29 AM
I'm out of a job myself but I offered to pick him up and take him where he needed to go without wanting nor asking for anything in return.
So what did you fuel the vehicle with... cat pyss?

I feel sorry for those that do nothing for anyone without expecting something in return and hold people in contempt that do.
From your posts, you should probably think of saving your sympathy for yourself, you seem to need it more than the rest of us.

My reward isn't in the fact of boasting what I did for that person.
And yet here you are listing your good deeds and soaking up praise.

The point is,would YOU like the world to KICK you when you're down, or would you like somebody to come along and offer you a hand UP??
And here's my point.

If you're in dire financial straits yourself and are either reliant to someone else for help or soon to be reliant, exactly what is right about giving something away to someone else? It's not your money that you're spending for the other person, it's money that belongs to whomever is helping you out. I would never expect someone else to pay for something that I take credit for... it's unseemly and I dare say, not very christian-like.

I have no need to sit here and list the things I do to help others, whether they're absolute strangers to me or a close family member.

As for circumstances changing on a dime... that only happens to people that are unprepared. Some of us have ensured that we have a pretty damned good financial buffer so we're not going to be reliant on another person. We're also the people that will take whatever crap job is out there rather than sit at home unemployed and whining about not being able to eat while feeding half a dozen cats.
 lacalli
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/3/2011 9:21:06 AM
Sunny, I just remembered a story you'll relate to. My first year teaching was in a desperately poor neighborhood. The kids got free breakfast and lunch and Operation School Bell and Healthy Kids otherwise they literally wouldn't have had food and the basics. Some of them didn't come to school when it rained because they didn't have the shoes/clothes. Well, at Thanksgiving the school passed around its yearly flyer asking for canned goods for the poor. So I stood up in front of the class and dutifully read the flyer and the kids are looking at me perplexed and it's real quiet (which you know doesn't happen. Ever . ) Finally, one boy politely raises his hand and says, "but teacher, we're poor." And the other kids all nod. So we had a discussion about people who didn't get school breakfast and lunch and didn't have any food to eat at all. And that class ended up making a garden in the back of the school(that got tagged weekly but what can you do?) with the help of a Gardening Angel volunteer (fantastic program)and donating the vegetables they grew-their idea. [Ok, the struggles with the local gang which was 77th division turf were really bad and they dug it up a few times too but I like my Hallmark version and it did turn out well in the end]
 SunnyBlueSkies23
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/3/2011 12:42:06 PM
I like your Hallmark version too. Thanks for sharing!
 MsMicki
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2011 7:49:28 PM

If you must rely on the "pay-it-forward" system ... meaning you have benefitted from someone else's generosity at one time ... perhaps you're not as "all-seeing" as you may think. Because if you were not so blinded by absolute faith in God, there would've been backup plans to deal with life's uncertainties ... without having to depend on the charity of others. Think about THAT..

Give me a break.....I've never been on welfare, or have someone pay my bills for me, but that doesn't mean I haven't benefited from someone's generousity. Maybe someone behind me in the grocery line reached in their pocket and gave me a quarter because I didn't have my debit card and found myself .20 cents short at the checkout. Maybe I had a flat tire and a perfect stranger stopped and offered to help me change the tire.
Paying it forward is a concept based on doing good deeds, because it usually results in the receiver helping out someone else later on. It has nothing to do with religious beliefs or giving back only because you once needed the help.
And so what if one of us had been to the point we needed charity, it doesn't mean we were ignorant fools without a life plan.
Good for you that you've never needed assistance.........one would think that would install of bit of gratefulness........but obviously not.
Scrooge had nothing on you.....
 lacalli
Msg: 27
Posted: 12/3/2011 9:39:07 PM
Give me a break.....I've never been on welfare, or have someone pay my bills for me, but that doesn't mean I haven't benefited from someone's generousity. Maybe someone behind me in the grocery line reached in their pocket and gave me a quarter because I didn't have my debit card and found myself .20 cents short at the checkout. Maybe I had a flat tire and a perfect stranger stopped and offered to help me change the tire.

You know, your post reminded me that about a month ago I was in line at Starbucks inside the supermarket and since I'm on crutches I have a hard time managing carrying everything and it takes me forever to do anything. When I got to the counter after everyone waiting for me to lean my crutches and take off my backpack and dig around in it only to find out that I had somehow left my wallet in the car, I was so embarrassed and all of a sudden I see this arm reach over my head and hand the cashier a Starbucks card. It was a local sheriff. It was such a kind thing to do. I asked him his name and the station is only a few miles from my house I'm trying to think of something nice to get him for Christmas. I had been feeling so totally down and it's amazing that such a small act of kindness made my week and turned me around for a while.
 Padawan61
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2011 11:51:35 PM
Give me a break.....I've never been on welfare, or have someone pay my bills for me, but that doesn't mean I haven't benefited from someone's generousity. Maybe someone behind me in the grocery line reached in their pocket and gave me a quarter because I didn't have my debit card and found myself .20 cents short at the checkout. Maybe I had a flat tire and a perfect stranger stopped and offered to help me change the tire

Oh puhleese!! If you needed an act of kindness for something as trivial as a quarter at the checkout ... you obviously don't understand the concept of being prepared. I've always had sufficient change on hand before going through any checkout ... with my debit/credit cards as backup. Otherwise I wouldn't be buying anything. As for changing a flat tire ... ever heard of reading the owner's manual??

Years ago, I was driving a beater with a faulty gas gauge, which resulted in me running out of gas. Someone did stop to offer his cellphone ... but I thanked him, sent him on his way because I already had a cellphone. Again ... being prepared. You should familiarize yourself with the idea.

Paying it forward is a concept based on doing good deeds, because it usually results in the receiver helping out someone else later on. It has nothing to do with religious beliefs or giving back only because you once needed the help

From some of the posts on here, many do rely on prayers to God for his intervention rather than actively making contingency plans of their own. So religious beliefs are a factor in some of these people being caught in doo-doo.

And so what if one of us had been to the point we needed charity, it doesn't mean we were ignorant fools without a life plan

From my perspective, you are.

Good for you that you've never needed assistance.........one would think that would install of bit of gratefulness........but obviously not

Gratefulness in my own abilities to plan ahead ... and not having to rely on strangers.

Scrooge had nothing on you.....

Ebenezer is an amateur. If you're gonna be a scrooge ... at least do it right.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/4/2011 1:00:12 PM
I do nice all year long, and it ain't got diddly to do with the Xmas spirit. It's just the right thing to do.

What galls my fanny is the people who act like**** all year and tone it down during the holidays, or worse continue being**** and expect everyone ELSE to be nice to them and ignore their rude behaviors.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2011 1:40:59 PM
I do try to keep the "Christmas spirit" throughout the year. But why?? It's not because I believe in a greater reward in the afterlife.

Not because I think it helps my Karma, Or because it benefits humanity as a whole, or to pay it forward......It's totally a selfish reason on my part. It makes me feel good to help someone.... I like the look on their faces.
 Glenoran1
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/4/2011 2:40:18 PM
^^^^ Well said. I, too, just do what I want to do, and it just happens to be pleasing others -- especially those who have little to be happy about. I only use the 'pay it forward' or 'pass it on' suggestion if they try to reimburse me in some way later on. By then I've usually forgotten about it anyway (wry grin).
 junipermoon
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2011 4:36:49 PM
true goodwill does not call attention to itself. it does not brag about its generosity or kind gestures. true goodwill does the right thing at the right moment without expecting recognition. martyrdom doesn't qualify, in my book. nor does false humility.

the 'christmas spirit' asks for neither thanks nor reciprocation. it simply shares and walks away.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Do YOU keep the Christmas spirit all year long? : )