Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > no pic: worth the risk?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 twilitesprite
Msg: 276
no pic: worth the risk?Page 12 of 28    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28)
No pic raises the red flags.

He is married
He does not want to be caught
 whitebirch
Msg: 277
no pic: worth the risk?
Posted: 2/11/2012 9:44:34 AM

I pretended to be just a customer and ordered then went to the bathroom. He then pounded on the door, saying my name over and over again, as I used the bathroom! I waited until he stopped (20 mintues) then ran out of the cafe.

oh man!! what an experience!!! was he still in there when you ran out of the cafe?
 seabreezeandyou
Msg: 278
Posted: 2/12/2012 5:26:49 PM
no picture---no meeting--definetly. It's not tough to take a picture with most any phone and put it on the site
 flgirl7007
Msg: 279
Posted: 2/12/2012 10:01:38 PM
I won't meet someone unless they can provide a photo. I would say that the percentage of them being good looking vs. bad are 50/50. I have met some that don't want other people contacting them. THEY want to choose who they contact so have their profiles invisible even though they are attractive.
 RIPTIDE59
Msg: 280
Posted: 2/13/2012 7:16:26 AM
re: msg 324: Spot on!!! Just one addition: Let's make a full body pic mandatory for profile submission. Agreed this is not a fake "filter". However, for the 20% of dateable profiles , a body shot would still be more illuminating.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 281
Posted: 2/13/2012 11:26:05 AM
What I dislike is when you have in your profile they must have a posted pic and then on your mail restrictions they must have a posted pic and then they proceed to post one long enough to email you and then remove it and then flood your inbox with bs about why they feel so confident they are the one for you. And I find that each and every person without a pic will not take a simple no and go away...they each and every one of them tries to create the illusion of romance right off the bat with cheesy sayings like dear, hon, sweetheart...which just screams...PLAYER!
 Paderic
Msg: 282
Posted: 2/13/2012 4:53:35 PM
Or they post a picture of a tree.
 JoseMadre
Msg: 283
Posted: 2/13/2012 9:12:58 PM
I don't post pics. If someone is interested enough in me to request it, and I am so inclined, I will gladly attach a pic. If she is especially inquisitive, I will go get today's Register and take a pic of me with it and an edited copy of my California's Drivers License (no address or license number, but with name and age.) Just not interested in superficial attraction. If she has a great heart I don't care what she looks like, and if she is rude I don't care how aesthetically beautiful everyone else thinks she is.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 284
Posted: 2/13/2012 10:57:28 PM
...I'm thinking we should all be made to hold up the daily newspaper so that we can see for ourselves how current everyone's pictures are. And if you are a "serious dater"...then the driver's license should come into play.

...mae
 Giggles10000
Msg: 285
Posted: 2/13/2012 11:20:41 PM
I think that is a brillant idea Mae...I met someone the other day and while I liked him, he was about 10 years older than he said and so I had to say I was sorry. He said everyone does it ...I said...I don't.

Imagine if everyone had their real ages...how much better the age brackets would look!
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 286
Posted: 2/14/2012 5:18:35 AM
...I'm thinking we should all be made to hold up the daily newspaper so that we can see for ourselves how current everyone's pictures are. And if you are a "serious dater"...then the driver's license should come into play.

great idea...but then what would we do w/ the people who photoshop?

PS- we can also tell from the clothing style, hairstyle & even makeup style if a pic is somewhat current (in a woman) & oftentimes, even w/ a man...
 rearguard*2
Msg: 287
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 5:41:34 AM
People can put up whatever picture they or the rest of the world like, or no picture at all. It changes nothing about what happens the first time you meet in real life, and you get the real impression of the other person, and decide in an instant where the possibilities of a future together lay.
 Paderic
Msg: 288
Posted: 2/14/2012 5:54:42 AM
People can put up whatever picture they or the rest of the world like, or no picture at all. It changes nothing about what happens the first time you meet in real life, and you get the real impression of the other person, and decide in an instant where the possibilities of a future together lay.

True, but if someone I don't recognize approaches me on a first meet, it's going to be a really short date.

I'm unconvinced. I will continue making initial contact only with users that have pictures posted. I have yet to be pleasantly surprised when I finally did get a picture from someone who contacted me without one. So far, it's been the opposite.

I caption my pictures with the date they were taken.
 kamikazekate
Msg: 289
Posted: 2/14/2012 2:06:58 PM
I've been so busy that I haven't had the time to post a pic. A young lady friend of mine is going to snap the pics and post them for me, and she owns her own cute clothing store, and is crazy busy. Since she has a great little camera, I haven't pressed the point. Sometimes, life has intervened and there's no pic because the person has so much going on, and hasn't got the right camera! Guys still emailed me, so they're hoping I'm not too ugly! LOL!
 rezyteri
Msg: 290
Posted: 2/14/2012 6:23:37 PM
I have been on and off of here. The first time I was on here I met someone that did not have a pic. I talked to him on the phone and we got along. But upon meeting him there was the problem - I was not attracted to him (being nice in saying he was not attractive to me)
It does have to do with chemistry.
And the excuse of 'because of my job'. That just doesn't cut it for me anymore. If someone you work with saw you were on POF that would mean they were also on POF.
I have the philosophy that this should be on equal ground. I have a pic so you should have a pic.

I also have a problem with meeting someone that does not look a thing like their pic. I try to keep current pics on my profile.
 seki1949
Msg: 291
Posted: 2/15/2012 9:15:50 AM
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Teaching is a small town might be a legit reason.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 292
Posted: 2/15/2012 11:30:03 AM

And, once again, I ask "what makes you think that any given photo is up-t0-date, or even of the person whose profile you are reading?" These sites are so vulnerable to abuse by people who hope to attract someone via misleading or false statements/photos and hope that the person will overlook it when they meet. Sad, but true.

Applause, applause.

browneyesboo
Msg: 293
Posted: 2/15/2012 12:14:11 PM
I don't understand people who say they can't post a picture
because of their job or they live in a small town..or whatever
other excuse.

Why is it anyone else's business what you do on your off time?
Is POF some dirty little secret you don't want people to know
about? What does that make the people you meet from POF?

If you don't want to post a picture...simply don't.
Just don't make up lame excuses.
 Paderic
Msg: 294
Posted: 2/15/2012 12:15:40 PM
And, once again, I ask "what makes you think that any given photo is up-t0-date, or even of the person whose profile you are reading?" These sites are so vulnerable to abuse by people who hope to attract someone via misleading or false statements/photos and hope that the person will overlook it when they meet. Sad, but true.

Applause, applause.

Those that post deceitful pictures are easy enough to screen out when the deceit becomes evident. Poeple with no picture at all are easy enough to screen out at the point they refuse to share a picture. I don't see the problem.

If you don't care whether users reply to your emails, don't post a picture on your profile.

If you think you're going to persuade most users to respond inspite of the fact you don't have a picture, dream on. It's not going to happen.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 295
Posted: 2/15/2012 12:31:35 PM

It does have to do with chemistry.

And how many people on here with pics, maybe you yourself included, have met someone else with pics on here, and still there was no "chemistry" in person.

Having pics on here does not guarantee chemistry in person.

TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 296
Posted: 2/15/2012 12:34:01 PM

If you don't want to post a picture...simply don't.
Just don't make up lame excuses.

And so I don't.
But a lot of people with pics keep coming up with lame excuses as to why people with no pics should post them on here, even though the site does NOT require them.

Paderic
Msg: 297
Posted: 2/15/2012 3:55:30 PM

But a lot of people with pics keep coming up with lame excuses as to why people with no pics should post them on here, even though the site does NOT require them.

Actually, people with pictures don't give a crap if you choose not to have one. They are merely posting the reasons they exclude non-pic profiles from their searches and ignore email from non-pic profiles.

What you do with that information is your choice.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 298
Posted: 2/15/2012 4:36:30 PM

I don't care if you post a pic or not as long as you dont contact me...I REQUIRE THEM, as is my right, what everyone is saying is contact other users with no pic and leave those with pics alone. I have my mail restrictions to exclude those without pic yet everyday I get 4 to 5 emails from those without pics (to put a pic up long enough to send an email is a big over the top dont ya think?)...I even have it in my profile and yet I still get emails; and they don't send one...oh no! I get two to three emails from them with no reply from me...it has simply gotten old.

Yall say you want meaningful connections without the physical appearance playing ITS part, yet you don't write to others without pics ...so isnt that just a bit onesided?
 Anchuka
Msg: 299
Posted: 2/16/2012 2:52:25 AM
I wont allow anyone not having a pic to contact me. I put a few up to start and all I got was ooh some very suggestive fantasies from guys on what they wanted to do with me (yes just due to the way I looked) Or they have the right to call me darling or honey in a first contact. Get a life. I now only have the one photo up for everyone to see and if they are interested and can put more than 2 sentances together then they send a photo and if they ask nice I send my private back that shows my face.

As for is my photo up to date. Well its a couple years old now but I do have some from last year ( just add a couple more wrinkles I suggest LOL) but I am turning 50 this year and damn proud of it. Age is just a number. Its what is inside that counts (something a lot of guys still need to learn)
 PlatonicISfineTOO
Msg: 300
Posted: 2/16/2012 6:55:19 AM
Something to consider :

First, most of these idiots don't read and comprehend the Terms of Service and Terms of Usage/Agreement on these sites...if they actually comprehended what they agreed to by signing up in the first place they might reconsider placing a litany of highly personally identifying data and a PICTURE on any www "profile" exposed to billions of strangers in the first place...

The downside is enormous....I know better than to do anything like that in 2012. The capacity for "abuse" (willynilly) or violations of privacy can not be understated.

Nope, I would never be on Facebook either...nor LinkedIn, or any other social "networking site"......As a graduate school and professional school educated professional (who has also worked with the federal government), I have been taught to never put yourself "out there" on a "wholesale basis".

Most users don't realize and acknowledge that everything you post, everything you WRITE, "chat", "post", "blog", "email", etc etc becomes the legal property of the site owners......in other words, you just gave up your RIGHTs in toto....yep, you have no recourse essentially.. nope, I'm not dumb enough to give away my rights, and put myself at risk...

Additionally, many users don't know this is a foreign-owned site. The implications of that fact should be obvious, esp to any one in global business these days, or anyone who has legal training.....

Nope, I'm not dumb enough to do that in 2012...I know better.

Having said that, there is not anything necessarily nefarious in the motives of people that don't choose to post a picture....nothing........first and foremost, there ARE no guarantees "on the web".....therefore you should conduct yourself accordingly....

I will gladly communicate with a woman on my terms...i.e. "in the neutral corner" of being totally outside this obvious "filter".....meaning away from the website...one-on-one.....privately....and of course, I would provide only then, a picture and other pertinent, highly personal information......if a woman doesn't understand the pitfall of what I described, then too bad for her....again, I know better than to put myself "out there in cyber space", willynilly, with NO controls in place....

If you, on the other hand feel "safe" doing that, then you go right ahead and exercise your own choice to do that......

but I reserve the right to think you're a big fool in the current and future digital environment, which is rich in real danger...

In short, just because I don't choose to place my business out there for billions of total strangers to "know", it doesn't mean I deserve some silly retort like "well you must have something to HIDE"............I have news for you all....you SHOULD be interested in protecting your highly personal business, the use of your writings, and the use of your likeness........

but, I've communicated with some very very foolish (and dumb) women who seem to think their activity is totally innocuous....

stupid indeed
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > no pic: worth the risk?