Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > no pic: worth the risk?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PlatonicISfineTOO
Msg: 301
no pic: worth the risk?Page 13 of 28    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28)
How's that "weight loss programme" going ??

(an example of TMI on the www)
 RIPTIDE59
Msg: 302
no pic: worth the risk?
Posted: 2/16/2012 7:19:51 AM
@msg 351 Platonic; I take my chances. Your monologue seems to be basically correct. Good points.
 Paderic
Msg: 303
Posted: 2/16/2012 7:32:50 AM

In short, just because I don't choose to place my business out there for billions of total strangers to "know", it doesn't mean I deserve some silly retort like "well you must have something to HIDE"............

Deserve has nothing to do with it. With the amount of data available in this thread, you should anticipate it.

If you think you can convince people that they shouldn't have this reaction, have at it. Don't be surprised, however, if your words fall on deaf ears.
 PlatonicISfineTOO
Msg: 304
Posted: 2/16/2012 8:05:37 AM
Thread "atmosphere" is not the crux of my point....duh.

It's immaterial that "reactions" are necessarily negative, or positive for that matter. Anyone can "choose" to rationalize their use of their own personal information in any way they wish...it's their own risk, it's their own business..

The salient point is that the total risk can not be truly quantified OR qualified, given the known and unknown nature and capabilities of the digital/cyber envirnoment.

To ignore or dismiss those real, already-known pitfalls seems to further buttress a strange naivete....but again, that's an individual choice indeed.

Additionally, the subject is not my "manners".....I certainly have not hurled personal attacks at any indidivual....that's bogus on its face......YOU on the other hand seem to want to overly "personalize" disagreement through s rather feeble attempt of discrediting the "truth" about web exposure and violations of privacy, which is patently boneheaded.

Believe as you wish...rationalize your own choices of participation...fine, fine with me.

Succinctly, if you have not encountered "idiots" on the web, then you and I shall have to look at "web-life" through totally different prisms....the reality is there are "idiots" in daily life, therefore subsequently there are "idiot chatters" on the web.........simple.

Please know there are also quite diffferent levels of "participation" on the web.....some may believe in what they view themselves as "transparency", while others may be totally "cloaked".......so what ?? there exists no "requirement" to do either....My "participation" is deliberately "passive"..not "active"...so I don't resort to "merchandising" myself in a deliberate effort to advertise myself in order to "attract a woman".....again, there is nothing nefarious in that level of participation...can it be ?? of course ! but I have met many already disingenuous, bogus women with what looks like a very transparent profile with detailed personal information, and a ton of pictures....but so what ?? that's essentially meaningless.

If someone is "silly" enough to believe there is some inherent "goodness" about blasting their highly personal data and picture globally on the web, then that's their business.....I would submit that seems to me a bit parochial and self-serving to say the least.

But.....to each his own.....but everything has a "cost", and the "cost" can be very very high
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 305
Posted: 2/16/2012 10:51:33 AM

Actually, people with pictures don't give a crap if you choose not to have one.

And yet they have gone on for 15 pages here about it, and continue to do so.

seki1949
Msg: 306
No pic: worth the risk?
Posted: 2/16/2012 11:03:15 AM
Kags,

Him.. no wonder you're single you're a shallow ****

Welcome to PoF! Please don't feed the Natives!

Politely, Seki
 Paderic
Msg: 307
Posted: 2/16/2012 3:04:39 PM

And yet they have gone on for 15 pages here about it, and continue to do so.

What would be the point of having a discussion board if nobody posted to the threads?
 statemachine500
Msg: 308
Posted: 2/16/2012 6:40:50 PM
I would agree with much of what Platonic has posted.What's with Anchuka and her pic going on about not responding to people without?.Basically,I can't see very much of people with a pic here anyhow,guys my age do not generally get contacted by women unless they are considered a real prize for some rea$on.

If I could see a member on this very generic site which interested me,I would send a pic.That simple.I like to speak my mind about a variety of topics on the forums,I would rather remain largely anonymous concerning these.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 309
Posted: 2/16/2012 6:48:48 PM

What would be the point of having a discussion board if nobody posted to the threads?

Well, some threads generate few responses because most people actually don't care about the subject.

TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 310
Posted: 2/16/2012 7:34:25 PM

And, what is most important to me in a potential mate is intelligence, character, etc., and I just find it hard to believe that a photo is so all-fired important, just to reply to or to email someone. I am aware that virtually everyone disagrees with me-

I don't disagree with you.
Don't worry about it.
Take 2 pills and call yourself in the morning.

PlatonicISfineTOO
Msg: 311
Posted: 2/17/2012 8:13:14 AM
No one is assaulting or assailing "opinion"...that's silly to do that on ANY sort of forum but particularly crazy to do so on a "dating website".

Let's be crystal clear: The "net" is not "dangerous"...it's what it can and is likely to facilitate and/or "violate".

"Danger" of malicious-use of personal data placed on the "web" is not somehow fictitious......that's a sophomoric point of view indeed. The danger as you put it can even be "life threatening"...and the record is full of valid examples of that as well.

No one must agree on this point....I certainly don't need to see more "convincing evidence" than I already have, working in a highly regulated business, and in government on the federal level.

The net is not some innocuous "sandbox" for users to play in, without possible negative consequence.

That notion would be quite beyond ignorant.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 312
Posted: 2/17/2012 8:46:16 AM
So a lack of picture is the only thing protecting you from
the malicious use of personal data placed on the web?
Seriously?

You're here, you've already placed yourself out there.
No one needs your picture to find out everything about you,
if they were really that interested.

Surely being in a highly regulated business and in government
on the federal level *snort* has taught you that?

statemachine500
Msg: 313
Posted: 2/17/2012 5:32:27 PM

So a lack of picture is the only thing protecting you from
the malicious use of personal data placed on the web?
Seriously?

Do not submit exact data.That way hackers that might breach security do not get exact info.
 FreschFisch
Msg: 314
Posted: 2/17/2012 6:28:12 PM
Certainly. In the order of attractiveness physicall as well as emotionally Ive found them to be the most attractive even! Your own instincts will tell you what is right and not or what you like in a person. I love to read and I like people so I will read them. Desparation is easy to spot. Some people are just held up by professional worries and/or being exposed/shy.

Id warn you though.. Date them before you convince them its ok to turn on their pics! Some people are just so freakin shallow! I have no issues with "competition". Ive had a couple girls I have gotten private pics from and asked them to turn their pics on and experience online dating. This being after having good conversations but no actual physical meeting. So they turn it on and I'll ask them a bit later "hey hows your mailbox". They are suddenly very busy! hahahaha gotta laugh at that!
 FreschFisch
Msg: 315
Posted: 2/17/2012 6:52:44 PM
Get off the girl Platonic...

youre ignorance and inexperience is apparent.. The federal government at ALL levels advocates the use of ALL social media. EVEN DOD so Im not sure what federal govt you work for.. Users are encouraged to put themselves out there Responsibly.. SAAR.. and every identity has a facebook even so WTF really..

The concept being openness or TRANSPARENCY which is congressionally MANDATED makes malicius activity easy to spot. But you are probably desktop. Imagine how you must look to them sneaking around!

The fact that you are even connected to the net is all the exposure that is needed for your life story to be told.. Go ahead though.. Stay in the dark
 PlatonicISfineTOO
Msg: 316
Posted: 2/18/2012 9:15:38 AM
no one is silly enough to suggest that the "lack" of a photo on this or any other site is "insurance" for anonymity....that's nutty indeed...

but you keep believing what you want to believe, and I'll keep believing what I KNOW as truth....fair enough ?
 FreschFisch
Msg: 317
Posted: 2/18/2012 9:28:55 AM
newer met a crook who cared what you looked like. Plenty of girls do... The question was I guess if the person without one is worth the time. To me they are cuz I care as much about what you say. peace
 PoetArtist
Msg: 318
Posted: 3/1/2012 12:26:15 PM
I just don't understand why someone wouldn't post a picture...or even worse, someone posts an old picture, etc.

If you're looking for any kind of "in-person" relationship, you have to meet in person.

So why not get it over with?!
 DRFK
Msg: 319
Posted: 3/2/2012 6:17:55 PM
I've met soooooooo many fine women that had no pic.....the weird thing was that they were all from Moscow.
Vodka anyone?? lol
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 320
Posted: 3/2/2012 6:30:37 PM

poppyseed100:
I don't have a public picture because there's someone from work on here and my life wouldn't be worth living if he found out.

If that is all it takes to 'make your life not worth living', that a coworker might see you here. Then you have more problems than I even know where to start with. Come on, 'would make your life not worth living'? you need
 samsara101
Msg: 321
Posted: 3/2/2012 7:53:08 PM
Not always the case. I have only just put a picture on. I met someone 5 years ago with no picture - only recently broke up. He was my first & only date on POF & I thought we had something - maybe I settled but that's another issue. Anyway I don't consider myself unattractive but didn't like being right out there. I didn't lie in my profile when I described myself & trusted that guys would believe me. Of course now I have heaps more replies but I don't necessarily like that.
 ChristmasCat
Msg: 322
Posted: 3/2/2012 8:44:12 PM
I couldn't agree more.....without a pic a was getting more sincere messages...once the pic went up I couldn't keep up with the messages....and this was all in 48 hrs......And yes I am sick of the comments and find it to be very distasteful....but pic or no pic you just have to sift until hopefully you make that connection....I personally go for the personality before the looks and wish that someday men would think that way.....wishful thinking I guess!!
 AJ2517
Msg: 323
Posted: 3/3/2012 4:15:49 PM
Nirvana and Christmas, you both are very attractive women...I agree with both your posts to an extent.....For me, physical attraction is the first thing I look at.....Obviously a woman doesn't know my "definition" of physically attractive so really hard to describe in words...What is attractive to some is maybe not as much to another.....I look at the pictures and yes, for some of you women that find it hard to believe of a guy, I read the profile also!...My point is my first thing is attraction, but it is far from being a done deal as far as meeting a woman....I need to hear a voice, to hear emotions, laughs, talks about whatever and that sort of thing....That is huge for me.......Is passing over someone who you are not attractive to possibly be the person you would enjoy?...Possibly but it is what it is.....We all get "passed over" for lots of different reasons so using the one I just mentioned is just another fact of life....Anyway, a woman can be very attractive to just me, but if her personality, issues, insecurities that are very bad show up, I am not going to be happy with "looks" only.....Christmas, you are attractive so I take it you got emails from the good the bad and the ugly....lol......It sucks to have to weed thru the BS and the guys that are low lifes but in the end, I need to see a picture......Profiles also can be easily worded to sound great also until yopu talk to someone, that also is why I need a phone conversation really soon...Emails and texts are very poor forms of communication, especially at the beginning when you do not know each others personality and how they write....Like I said, I agree to a point with both your posts but also see it differently.....Guess that is why we write on here, to hear other opinions and see where someone is coming from!
 rickinpx
Msg: 324
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2012 12:23:37 AM
Maybe! If your pictures are also on America's Most Wanted. Seriously.. If they are not that comfortable with themselves than they may have other issues. Props to everyone comfortable enough with themselves to post it for a million people to see.
 statemachine500
Msg: 325
Posted: 3/6/2012 5:06:31 PM
rickinpix,you state you have a thin body type.I see a pot belly in that bus pic.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > no pic: worth the risk?