Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > no pic: worth the risk?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Moonchild51
Msg: 401
view profile
History
no pic: worth the risk?Page 17 of 28    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28)
Hey Boomer, congrats on the weight loss and I hope it was simply that you have been watching diet/exercise and you're not sick! I can't produce printed proof, but have heard numerous times that having a pic posted attracts more response from the opposite sex. Does it work better? Hmmm...of that I am not so sure!
 rearguard*2
Msg: 402
view profile
History
no pic: worth the risk?
Posted: 10/24/2012 7:02:11 AM
Really depends on the pic. Bikini shots generate a lot more interest from men than a pic with a miniscule person in the distance of a landscape scene.

Me, I want to know who has my pic, and I only send it to those who ask.....
 GardenGal2008
Msg: 403
Posted: 10/24/2012 7:41:23 AM
yes if there is no pic then you need to ask your self why .....with this age its way to easy to post a pic and yes most married men will not post a pic .......because someone might know them and tell their wife............or worse their wife might see it her self ......and what was she doing on this site??????
 TAWT
Msg: 404
Posted: 10/24/2012 7:45:48 AM
no pic... 'Delete'

Well, that's nice. But it presumes the person with the pic you're ogling is posting one that is current and representative of their actual appearance.

A picture proves nothing, but it sure does suggest a lot.

I met a man here a while back who didn't have a pic on his profile. But he is smart and a wonderful writer, so he got my attention. At some point I asked him about it, and he told me just didn't want everyone in town finding him on line, because he knows everybody. I thought that was a little odd, but what they hey. Anyway, he sent me a pic by email and I didn't even have to ask, we met, and there you go. He's a super guy; a little irascible from time to time but I can deal with that. *Pinches cheek*. Plus, he does know everybody in town. Always fun to go out with him and hear the banter.

Not having a picture proves nothing, but it can suggest a lot.

It's your job to figure it out. I woulda missed a good one had I been anal retentive about profile pictures. Yay for me.
 betteroffsingle
Msg: 405
Posted: 10/27/2012 7:52:58 AM
The woman I am now dating exclusively had no photo on her profile. She initiated contact with me and I met her without seeing her picture first. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised....and couldn't be happier. I realize this may be the exception and not the rule though.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 406
Posted: 10/27/2012 8:15:39 AM

Why do singles aged 45-55 lie about their age, body type and marital status? They may not lie about all of them, but it is a sure bet they fib on one.

Really?! All singles do that? I'm amazed at how you know everyone in that age group.

Well, let's see. I'm 54 as of October 1st (that's the age on my profile), I will come right out and tell someone I'm fat (and it states that on my profile) and I am a widow, which is also stated on my profile. So tell me where I'm "fibbing".

If you think that everyone is lying to you, you will always find the people who lie

Here here...I agree w/ SSC SAF...I have pics up 1 month old, one head shot, 1 body shot & all my info is correct...I could pass 4 younger, but why BOTHER? Why bother w/ anything? Take it or leave it is my motto...

I had a friend who used a deceptive photo, she met tons of men, but had no 2nd dates...what is the point?
Some no pic people may be shy or have a job that makes it awkward, BUT in my vast experience the large majority r in a relationship/married or not very good looking...
 AJ2517
Msg: 407
Posted: 10/27/2012 9:53:38 AM
Be who you are is what is important...Covering up something or ages of pictures etc. make no sense....No way would I meet a woman without a picture.....And yes, I would hope it was current
 lightninbug22
Msg: 408
Posted: 10/27/2012 10:52:01 AM
I prefer not not have my photo posted on these sites--but in fairness, I posted pictures. I feel that both parties should be on an even field as to getting to know each other, including pictures; I just changed my mail settings to no contact without a picture. Makes sense that married people could easily be on here without a photo.

BTW, I feel that I could make a killing taking profile pictures--some of the men on here have such awful pictures, both in quality and the way they look in the pictures, the poses, what they are wearing (or not). I mean, these shots look worse than mug shots, and I know that they probably make the men look worse than they do in person. Who posts pictures like that? Are they just clueless? Posting those pictures to me gives me an idea of their (lack of) intelligence, as well as not making them look good. Hmmm...perhaps a job opportunity for me as a photographer...
 timeforall
Msg: 409
Posted: 10/27/2012 12:49:13 PM

Posting those pictures to me gives me an idea of their (lack of) intelligence

LOL. I can tell you'd be a keeper . . . NOT.
 lightninbug22
Msg: 410
Posted: 10/27/2012 12:55:21 PM
Maybe not to you..... :-)
 lightninbug22
Msg: 411
Posted: 10/27/2012 11:15:40 PM
I am not for using Photoshop to enhance profile pictures beyond possibly making a photo lighter if it is too dark, stuff like that. Photos on here should be current and represent what the person actually looks like, but taking photos with cellphones, not holding the camera still, and at bad angles with bad lighting does not make anybody look good. It seems that there are way too many of this type of photo on here, I cannot help but wonder why the person in the picture does not realize how bad the photos look. Posting poor quality pictures has to reduce the number of people who want to communicate with you.
 tomorrowsmine
Msg: 412
Posted: 10/28/2012 6:25:42 AM
Far too many pics are YEARS out of date and probably of less value than having no pic. Meeting people is a gamble regardless of whether or not a pic is provided. We must also bear in mind that the vast majority of poffers would only offer the pics that show them in the most flattering light. Watch out for closed-mouthed smiles. Those sealed lips can mask some unbelievable dental horrors. Also bear in mind studio makeup and photoshop.
A photo is just a snapshot in time. I think if after a few emails and phonecalls there is obvious interest, then pick somewhere neutral to meet up and make sure there's an easy escape plan should the need arise. Meet sooner rather than later to avoid a buildup of the wrong picture of how you imagine a person is going to be. And remember that they most likely share all the same anxieties about you that you have regarding them!
 CheeryMom
Msg: 413
Posted: 10/30/2012 4:04:02 PM
No pic, no conversation. In my opinion, if you don't post a pic, you don't think very highly of yourself!
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 414
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2012 1:23:30 PM
"If you don't post a pic, you don't think very highly of yourself."

Nothing could be further from the truth. I think do not posst a pic because of my very public employment. My employer wouldn't like it much (we talked about that). And I need my job. I have no problem sharing a photo with someone, but I'm not "blasting" it all over cyberspace.

So if someone opts not to contact me because of that, oh, well.......
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 415
Posted: 10/31/2012 1:25:45 PM

In my opinion, if you don't post a pic, you don't think very highly of yourself!

What is your basis for that opinion?
 BluEyedShutterbug
Msg: 416
Posted: 10/31/2012 1:52:03 PM
I've been single again for many years, and my work has made a relationship quite difficult. But I have tried several of these services, and have met individuals with and without photos, and quite often I was more disappointed in the ones with photos. Either the photos were from younger years or right after a visit to a beauty salon. In one case the posted photo wasn't of the young lady I was meeting. So the issue to me is a non issue for me. I suggest either reading or watching "The Book & The Rose"
 AJ2517
Msg: 417
Posted: 10/31/2012 5:33:43 PM
For the people that don't have their picture on here because of their work, that to me is a lame excuse.....I wonder why they are even on here then?......I will admit there may be some extreme, and I mean extreme reasons why there is no photo but to see all the people on here with no photo, I doubt you are an "extreme" case....Now if you are on for the forums only, I can understand.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 418
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2012 9:42:14 AM
If you work in politics, law enforcement, or any other fields that require security clearances, then posting pics on here more than likely could cost your job. And those aren't necessarily "extreme" cases. Everyone does not work a boring, blue collar job.....
 curiousone421
Msg: 419
Posted: 11/1/2012 6:27:41 PM
I think it can be worth the risk. I try to approach dating with an "if I were blind" attitude. How am I treated? What is said to me? Am I being respected and regarded? Sometimes we tolerate more from a pretty package hoping that the inside is as pretty as the outside. I like to keep "Beauty and the Beast" in mind.
 Dan0777
Msg: 420
Posted: 11/2/2012 12:54:00 AM
I don't require others to post pics. I've posted pics once in a while. But I'd rather not for specific reasons.
I check the profiles, and ask for pics if we chat, as the discussions progress.
 CDMer
Msg: 421
Posted: 11/2/2012 7:41:56 AM
No pic, no click. That is my rule. Many times the profile photos are old or otherwise do not realistically represent the actual appearance of the woman but at least they provide a starting point.
 ohenryx
Msg: 422
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2012 10:18:59 AM
I can see both sides of this argument (bad pics, and realistic pics). I think lightningbug22 has a very valid point. There are a lot of pictures on this site which do not clearly show the person. Too far away, really crappy lighting, hats, sunglasses, looking away from the camera, so many people in the picture you can’t tell who it is that you might be asking for a date. My favorite in that category is the 50 year old woman posing with her smoking hot 25 year old daughter. I always get the urge to send her a message asking if she can set me up with the hot young chick in the picture. (But I never do, I’m a coward.)

On the other hand, I am a fan of realistic cell phone pictures, taken in the mirror. They do tend to be very realistic. But for crying out loud, if the picture comes out bad, do not use it. (Your hand holding the cell phone completely blocks out your face, for instance. Or the flash goes off, and the only thing you can see is the bright spot from the flash.) I mean, it’s not like this is costing you money for film or anything like that. Flash memory has a life expectancy of up to 100,000 write/erase cycles, so erase that damned bad picture and try again!
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 423
Posted: 11/3/2012 6:46:18 PM

I prefer not not have my photo posted on these sites--but in fairness, I posted pictures.

That line about fairness is so trite and overused.

Agreed.
Fairness doesn't apply here because the site does not force anyone to post pictures on their profile. Everyone gets the same free choice when they set up a profile, to post or not to post pictures.

What WOULD be unfair would be if the site did require a picture on the profile and someone found a way to circumvent that requirement, because they would not be playing by the rules.
 TantricJedi
Msg: 424
Posted: 11/3/2012 7:30:11 PM
If someone lives close by and has a wordy profile, I'll ask for a pic.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 425
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2012 4:09:11 PM
Makes sense to me BaggageHandler.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > no pic: worth the risk?