Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > no pic: worth the risk?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HelloRUthere
Msg: 526
no pic: worth the risk?Page 22 of 28    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28)
All most have to do is ask for a pic. Some of us live in small towns where our privacy is important to us and don't want the whole town in our personal business. Please respect that.
 Moonglowone
Msg: 527
no pic: worth the risk?
Posted: 12/31/2012 9:37:41 PM
I agree with you. I feel it is their loss if they don't take the time to get to know you. I would meet a man without a picture. It isn't a marriage obligation just to meet. Lol. Maybe you will have a nice evening if nothing else.
 Moonglowone
Msg: 528
Posted: 12/31/2012 9:48:54 PM
Right on, how can you tell what kind of person he or she is from a photo ? I don't have a photo on here, I send them to those whom are interested. They are recent. But, beauty or lack of, is in the eye of the beholder. I would not respond to a profile on looks alone. If you have nothing in common other than the person is a 10, it won't last anyway. Unless that is what you need for your ego.
 Moonglowone
Msg: 529
Posted: 12/31/2012 9:58:08 PM
You go girl well said. I know a lot of people too. Everyone does not need to know your business.
 Moonglowone
Msg: 530
Posted: 12/31/2012 10:03:52 PM
Thank you! You said it well.
 DaBeauty
Msg: 531
Posted: 1/1/2013 4:41:46 AM
No pics tells me they are hiding something!
 intuit07
Msg: 532
Posted: 1/1/2013 8:07:45 AM
You learn something new everyday no pic for men means married.
I also agree that you can at least get thru a cup of coffee with almost anyone, but I have married people
I never saw as attractive I don't go by the package and I hate to be judged by my looks believe i have more
brains than boobs, yes they are real. so tired of answering that one.
 intuit07
Msg: 533
Posted: 1/1/2013 8:09:55 AM
I posted a pic and it was like getting fan mail and a few stalkers mixed in at least one true pervert. So I don't post a photo but this site allows you to send one as you meet people so that has worked out well.
 nirvanawithu
Msg: 534
Posted: 1/1/2013 1:28:24 PM
Sure have and I was pleasantly surprised although I did want a photo after getting to know the basics for a little while. I'm sure many would say no chance, but I always figured they might be shy about someone from work seeing them etc., or they could be really pretty and not want a ton of emails. Looks are great, but I've always had more of an interest in their intellect and other attributes necessary for a match. I've also never been in a huge rush either. So far, no regrets :-)
 gwinnie11
Msg: 535
Posted: 1/1/2013 3:24:57 PM
I have nothing to hide and I do have a pic,them men want a barbie doll type women and lets face it guys and your not going to fine that,once they see a pic thats it and not wanting to get to know a person is vary shallow, I look so much better in person but thats your loss and you should say in your profiles that your looking for "must be wonderful looking"and your vary picky.
 WarmSummersDay2
Msg: 536
Posted: 1/1/2013 6:35:00 PM
You'd be surprised how many hide under hats, behind sunglasses, motorcycles & large dead fish!

This forum is a Fascinating discussion... all seemingly from one side of the story.

Suppose your family is well known in your area, in the areas of sports, church, volunteering, business, politics, community, etc.
You have a wonderful, supportive family... and you would like to find a match that is based on YOUR personality first, not the awesome reputation of you & your family???
What if you are open to finding a partner who is an ideal fit for YOU, who then naturally fits into the broader connections with your family...???
Interestingly, your picture tends to give it away before you can even start an individual conversation... because smaller community is, what it is.

I have private pics that I happily send after their first reply. :D

PS- This is my first post- wish me well!!!
 WS1254
Msg: 537
Posted: 1/1/2013 8:53:21 PM
For a first post - well done.

Particularly liked the hide behind sunglasses etc.
How may photos are like that !
If you have a photo make it of you, not a pair of sunglasses.
But the one I liked the most was the large dead fish - my question do women find dead fish interesting.
I doubt it
 hectormon
Msg: 538
Posted: 1/6/2013 10:41:22 PM
Well the reality is that "we men" probably never look at profiles of women without a picture unless we really bored or desperate. It's just our nature.
Women, they are much more forgiving and "may" respond if we have a good written profile since they are more in tuned to our personality, but that said, they will expect one sooner rather than later. That layer of trust is thin at this point.
 StageCat1
Msg: 539
Posted: 1/8/2013 7:49:21 AM
In my experience, the men who've had no pics have been cheaters. So, NEVER AGAIN! Of course, even though I have in my profile not to contact me if you don't have a pic, guys still do. I ignore them. I mean, really, it's bad enough that they're cheaters - but they can't read, either??? WHAAAAAT???
 lightninbug22
Msg: 540
Posted: 1/8/2013 1:26:29 PM
...and along the lines of photos/no photos, there are many people on here with photos, that, when viewed, give little or no idea of what they really look like. Not much different from having no photo, IMHO. I have thought about blurring my photos, putting on a hat and sunglasses, and standing 20 feet away from the camera behind a motorcycle, and posting those just to see how many responses I get. Seriously, by the time we are adults, I would think that we would have been on the planet long enough to know what a good photograph looks like!
 _FishingForAMermaid_
Msg: 541
Posted: 1/8/2013 3:42:25 PM
There are pros and cons to everything - including whether or not to post a pic on POF (or any dating site). Henry David Thoreau said "it's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see". Each person has to decide whether or not a profile with or without a pic is worth checking out. It's a matter of trying to get a gut feel in terms of the character of the person behind the profile. Whether or not there is a pic, it is always taking a chance.

As far as having a picture on one's profile goes, in many instances it is not something worth having (i.e. to put it politely, some people are not photogenic at all). There are many reasons why an individual chooses not to have a pic posted. To think that in all cases the person has something "evil" to hide is wrong. Most often it is because of the nature of a person's work.

If communication is established between two individuals, one can always request a picture then. Or better still, move on to Skype with video.
 malinhead
Msg: 542
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2013 9:39:04 PM
You have absolutely no idea if the picture posted really belongs to the poster.Until you actually meet face to face you have no idea who you are dealing with.This is why you should always meet in a very open public location,you can never be too careful.
 CaptainAmericaOO7
Msg: 543
Posted: 1/9/2013 4:29:43 AM
Absolutely. I responded to somebody on badoo. I blocked them in the end because they were complete fakers. Nice pics of a woman but teen boy dialog. Pre-teen spelling and the day before a suggested meet they pulled out because they had to go on a sudden business trip to africa. Umm yes africa but which country? Lol. The photos were nice but clearly not his.

So, photos don't mean anything. Nothing online can ever be regarded as even remotely genuine. Its all fake until proven otherwise.
 lightninbug22
Msg: 544
Posted: 1/9/2013 8:01:35 AM

Pre-teen spelling

I just had to comment on this. A bit off topic, but how many of you decide against responding/contacting someone solely because of the many glaring spelling and/or grammatical errors in their profiles? To me, those type of errors either indicates 1) a teenager playing on the site, 2) someone who does not care enough to take the time to do a proper profile, or 3) just plain lack of education. Poor grammar and/or spelling throughout a profile (beyond just a couple of errors) will chase me away as fast or faster than no picture or a bad picture.
 WS1254
Msg: 545
Posted: 1/9/2013 7:36:44 PM
Lightninbug,
Never respond to profiles full of elementary errors.
You missed the 4th reason - Get together with a friend have a few glasses of champagne too many and create a profile.
They should go back and correct it later.
 lightninbug22
Msg: 546
Posted: 1/10/2013 4:14:52 AM

You missed the 4th reason - Get together with a friend have a few glasses of champagne too many and create a profile.

Oh snap! I should have thought of that one! LOL
 lowmiles2
Msg: 547
Posted: 1/11/2013 9:33:27 AM
I think it's worth the risk! Besides what risk are you speaking about. I would think one would check out the other if it got to a meet and greet.
 venusenvy777
Msg: 548
Posted: 1/11/2013 6:23:12 PM
Thats a major red flag to me. Ive always lived by "no pic no play" This has served me well
 CaptainAmericaOO7
Msg: 549
Posted: 1/11/2013 6:27:03 PM

Thats a major red flag to me. Ive always lived by "no pic no play" This has served me well

And yet you're still on POF
 ScheherazadeRimsky
Msg: 550
Posted: 1/12/2013 4:22:16 AM
I AGREE. Not posting a picture is definitely a red flag as to his availability. (By the way, they weren't nice!! They were simply slick, soft, gentle, and told you what you wanted to hear.) I finally got mad at one guy who I suspected of being married, and I asked, "What gives"? His answer: "I'm married." Also, since I make my living across the Internet highway, I find talking to men who don't know HOW to post a picture absolutely tedious. I don't want a man who is unwilling to learn or educate himself. Usually they have a sour grapes attitude: "I don't know it, don't want to learn, and it's dumb"!

NOW THAT I'M ON THE SUBJECT . . .
There's the trouble w/dating older men (my category). They are stubborn, refuse to learn, yearn for the old days, have one foot in the grave w/their incessant talk about "last love of my life" or this one, "Bucket List." I am sick to death of hearing about the stupid Bucket List. Just do it. A list???? I don't have a list, I simply LIVE MY LIFE and as full as I desire at the time. My outlook makes me feel years younger than the guys I'm "supposed" to date.

Whew! Got that off my chest. Feelin' much better.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > no pic: worth the risk?