Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > no pic: worth the risk?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 151
no pic: worth the risk?Page 7 of 28    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28)
NOT WORTH THE RISK...no photo usually means he has something to hide...girlfriend/wife/ex and/or outstanding warrant for arrest or is on the sex offender registry and is afraid he will be recognized. That boloney about not wanting their boss to see is BS. I did go out with an eye doctor who said he did not want his patients to know he was dating...ok...and he checked out, but he was also a smarmy guy who propositioned me on the first date. My new rule is no pic---no play.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 152
view profile
History
no pic: worth the risk?
Posted: 12/21/2011 1:43:06 PM
While I presume that nx is being funny, its not a good idea to write stuff like that on the net. Once written, it can never be erased, and the world is now filled with various kinds of police who read things and presume everything is completely serious and true.

Good thing you don't have a pic, because some nutbar cop organization is probably looking for you right now......

In any event, the paranoid loonies who rant about how people without pics are all liars, cheaters, perverts, criminals and other kinds of freaks will not change their opinions, and probably have never thought about the fact that for centuries people used snail mail, without pics, in response to personals ads to find love and live happily ever after. Today, if you don't have a facebook page you are considered a potential wierdo, and if you do have a facebook page, you are probably an idiot, because everyone you ever even remotely have contact with gets to know every intimate detail of your life.
 elainesfriend
Msg: 153
Posted: 12/23/2011 2:49:28 AM
hi all! i have looked at guys profiles with/without pics,but in this techno age,most people know how to download a photo,right?Some guys offered to SMS me their photo,which i declined. Or of course, theres the "my pic is a bit old"...ive met quite a few of those! if theyre going to be seeing you in person,at least they could post a recent photo, or at least tell you its a 10 year old photo!
 me2011
Msg: 154
Posted: 12/23/2011 10:05:44 AM
I consider myself a fairly good looking man. I am divorced, been divorced for 5 years. But I teach at a local college and don't feel comfortable about posting pics, largely because of students seeing me on there. Some may disagree, but I just don't feel comfortable. I live in a small town. I always attach 3 recent pics without them asking. You've given me some good insight. I guess I'll just count on meeting in person and forget the online thing. Seems like there is alot of deception going on.
 me2011
Msg: 155
Posted: 12/23/2011 10:20:25 AM
I understand that you're speaking from experience. I do not post pics . I am a college professor in a small town in Eastern Ky. I'm sure the college would not object, but I don't feel comfortable posting my pics for students to see, for a number of reasons and none of them are deceptive in any sort of bad way. I'm an honest normal man. Been divorced 5 years and am not seeing anyone. Anytime I email anyone, I attach 3 current pics. But if no one trusts me because I don't post myself, that's something I'll deal with. Not disagreeing with you, I see your prespective.
 rec_diver
Msg: 156
Posted: 12/23/2011 10:24:15 AM

me2011 : I do not post pics . I am a college professor in a small town in Eastern Ky. I'm sure the college would not object, but I don't feel comfortable posting my pics for students to see, for a number of reasons and none of them are deceptive in any sort of bad way.

Right, this comes back to probably what I think is the only "honest" reason for not posting pictures.

Your actions are motivated by irrational fear, disapproval, or concern over what random strangers might think, and you're only hurting yourself and severely limiting your chances of finding a relationship partner, but I'll give you that it's not necessarily because you're butt ugly or morbidly obese or married or otherwise hiding something or being deceptive.
 me2011
Msg: 157
Posted: 12/23/2011 10:47:15 AM
It's not the random strangers, it's the students that I face on campus. I'm a decent looking guy, 5'11 and weigh 170. I'm not a hearttrob and I feel I have good personality. You may be right in a way however. I think my chances are severely limited. I guess I choose my destiny. I do feel much more comfortable being attracted to a lady in person.
 rec_diver
Msg: 158
Posted: 12/23/2011 11:42:38 AM
me2011 : It's not the random strangers, it's the students that I face on campus.

Who gives a rat's ass if a college professor is dating?

Yeah a student who "might" happen to see you and recognize you on a dating site may say, "hey check it out it's Mr. SoandSo from Earth Science!"

And..? Unless you're a male seeing a male and you're afraid of ridicule.. and have you ever considered.. maybe those hot coeds are into older guys..
 soicat
Msg: 159
Posted: 12/23/2011 12:36:06 PM
I think some very attractive women don't post a pic because they want men to read their profile, and judge them on that rather than their looks. I have more confidence in a woman with no photo telling me that I won't be disappointed in her appearance - and indeed to date I never have been - as a picture that turns out to be ten years old, or one that happens to be flattering.

Of course, I don't have a photo because I'm hideous.
 rec_diver
Msg: 160
Posted: 12/23/2011 12:38:15 PM

soicat: Of course, I don't have a photo because I'm hideous.

Too bad your honesty won't be enough to compensate for your looks.
 Rokei57
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2011 5:49:59 PM
I have found by talking to people on here that many times they have something to hide....usually married or in a relationship. I don't reply to anyone without a picture.
 soicat
Msg: 162
Posted: 12/24/2011 9:11:19 AM

That's true. Thank God I have money.
 CynM
Msg: 163
Posted: 12/24/2011 9:28:07 AM

One of the best I've had all day. Thanks!
 statemachine500
Msg: 164
Posted: 12/24/2011 11:37:44 AM
And..? Unless you're a male seeing a male and you're afraid of ridicule.. and have you ever considered.. maybe those hot coeds are into older guys..

I am sure he has.Have you considered the kind of trouble he could get into with that kind of outlook?

There are many reasons somebody might not bother posting a pic.I did have one and somebody biatched after a heated thread.It's a lottery in any event and I'm not prone to playing lotteries.Online is total distortion.A woman 5'6 and 190 lbs acting c0c$y and picky?Only in your dreams in the real world with me honey.I will avoid being part of the online dog pound for now.
 lotustemple
Msg: 165
Posted: 12/24/2011 12:12:14 PM
Profile hidden, no pic. A guy has to gleen what he can from my posts and if we resonate then so be it, i'm not holding my breath. Dating in the real world is much easier because you know if you have chemistry or attraction right off the bat.

I just can't sell myself like a hooker behind a glass wall all dolled up and ready to go. Can't and won't, i'd rather be single.
 greencuda
Msg: 166
Posted: 12/27/2011 2:32:02 PM
I am one of the people with no pic. I have no problem sending one but due to being attached which is stated on my profile, and recognizing a lot of people on this site who would not understand looking for something outside an existing relationship, it is just easier to send a pic privately. discretion by definition!
 KittyStarstruck
Msg: 167
Posted: 1/2/2012 2:20:23 AM
I'm going to say pretty much the same thing as that teacher guy. I am not fat or ugly, but I am afraid to put my picture up on POF because I am a doctor and work in a major metropolitan hospital in Los Angeles. Maybe I am being paranoid, but I don't want any of my patients to see me on here!

Once I get chatting with a guy and there is some chemistry, OF COURSE I will send him emails of myself to his own private address. I refuse to put my picture on POF because POF claims to "own" your picture (ever noticed the POF print on the bottom of some pics?)

So, no, I am not unattractive. I am smart. I don't want people to know my personal life. And like another poster on here, if you require a pic on POF and WON'T give me your personal email address, then you will never see me.

And miss out on a young, intelligent, vivacious, cautious, loving person. I hate people who judge you just cuz you don't post pictures to POF. I own my own pics, and I will share them with the gentleman of MY choice. I don't like being a Billboard! But I can guarantee you, you will like what you see and hear. So please don't be close minded and say, "no fish, no look at profile"......WE WILL SEND PICS......JUST NOT TO POF!
Love and Peace to All,
KittyStarstruck
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 168
Posted: 1/2/2012 11:54:54 AM

...You have money? Too much emphasis is placed on looks anyhow

Just kidding....so don't be sending those nasty e-mails.

...mae
 mainelyhere
Msg: 169
Posted: 1/2/2012 12:44:01 PM
people say its because they are cheating, im sure thats sometimes the case. but more often i believe its because people know they are not stunning examples of humanity and they delude themselves into thinking "if i get him(or her) to fall in love with my personality first, my looks won't matter"
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 170
Posted: 1/2/2012 2:16:41 PM
believe its because people know they are not stunning examples of humanity and they delude themselves into thinking "if i get him(or her) to fall in love with my personality first, my looks won't matter

...And in some cases it's just the opposite. If they can entrap them with their good looks....their personality won't matter.

...mae
 Paderic
Msg: 171
Posted: 1/2/2012 3:36:08 PM

I hate people who judge you just cuz you don't post pictures to POF. I own my own pics, and I will share them with the gentleman of MY choice. I don't like being a Billboard! But I can guarantee you, you will like what you see and hear. So please don't be close minded and say, "no fish, no look at profile"......WE WILL SEND PICS......JUST NOT TO POF!

Not judging, just not wasting my time playing email games with someone who has seen my pictures but won't reciprocate. As I said earlier, you get one or two emails to send a picture.

And you will have to send the first email, I don't look at profiles without pictures.
 Paderic
Msg: 172
Posted: 1/2/2012 5:00:02 PM
You make my point exactly. What you see is not always what you get, and that goes both ways. What is the problem with providing a photo or two or three - whatever it takes - after having contacted one another and deciding there might be a connection. I just don't get it, I really don't.

You had a point?

What is wrong with providing a photo within one or two emails? Why wait until you know there is a connection?
 Paderic
Msg: 173
Posted: 1/2/2012 5:16:39 PM
Ergo, why the photo?

Because you've looked at mine and presumably made a judgment partially based on them. If you're not going to level the playing field, the game can not proceed.

If people don't want to respond to you, they won't. Arguing about it in the forums isn't going to change anyone's mind.

I could turn your last post around on you. It's your right to not send a photo, but it may also be your loss...
 Paderic
Msg: 174
Posted: 1/2/2012 5:33:11 PM
Superficial is probably the most abused word on POF (along with shallow).

Do you look at the pictures when you look at someone's profile? Do you form any opinion whatsoever based on those pictures? How they dress? How they wear their hair? If yes, then you're just as superficial as anyone else on here.

If you don't even look at the pictures, you are probably the one person I've encountered on POF that is in a position to use the word. Of course, I probably won't believe you...
 pinkladysmiling66
Msg: 175
Posted: 1/2/2012 6:44:18 PM
Sometimes it is worth the risk. I myself am a little timid about puttin my picture on the net. But will share after a contact email or two.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > no pic: worth the risk?