Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Are there any lawyers or doctors on this site?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Laha Math
Msg: 26
Are there any lawyers or doctors on this site?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Behave yourself and you won't get in trouble. Engage in online sex exchanges and they are in cyberspace forever, and can get you kicked out of the House of Representatives, the Senate, and (almost) the White House, let alone the AMA. Never underestimate the power of a hacker, nor the sheer rotten meaness. Did you know the National Security Agency scans all Internet communication? Every last bit. How far do you trust clandestine government operatives? Getting paranoid yet?
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 27
Are there any lawyers or doctors on this site?
Posted: 11/29/2011 8:58:43 PM
I have met a medical doctor, a psychologist, and a lawyer from online. I have also met a couple of college professors. Another man claiming to be a doctor contacted me but he was TOO weird. I have seen profiles of cops.

I am a college instructor and I have had former students contact me: I just tell them "no, thanks." They did not think it "weird" that I am on a dating site.
 HakkenKraks
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/29/2011 9:15:32 PM
I'm curious, what was the age range of the physicians who claimed it was unprofessional, and what was the context in which they 'caught' you browsing PoF?

Edit: Nevermind about the context, just re-read the post and finally caught it. Still curious about the age, though.
 susang909
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/29/2011 11:26:42 PM
To all the doctors here I need CPR!!!
 Lolita_LeBron
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/30/2011 9:07:45 AM

I am a physician… and according to HIPPA you never ever discuss patient specific information with any non-authorized entities period whether they be online or in the real world.

You are correct. I have read of one other thread that another gentleman posted, who was a lab technician, where he spoke about what went on inside the lab where he worked. I don't see anything wrong with any medical professional on a dating site, as long as he doesn't talk about sensitive and privileged information about his/her job. Basically, what I posted originally was meant as a no-no, any place and any time.
 kevination
Msg: 31
Posted: 11/30/2011 9:51:10 AM
Doctors and lawyers are usually well off and dont need a tool like a dating site when they have thousands lining up anyway
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/3/2011 2:31:27 PM
Your co workers stated their opinion to you as if it's fact. There are cops & firemen on this site, & there are probably doctors & lawyers too, they just are careful not to reveal their professions to the general public, but wait until there is meaningful contact & they are going to meet someone. They don't want to publicly advertise what they do for many reasons, it's better to be low key about it. Any dating can lead to akward situations & open you up to trouble, don't let your friends scare you off from internet dating. I know a lawyer who met her husband, a doctor, on another site, they married, & just had their 2 child. Just be choosey & screen out any potential weirdos by having coffee meets, etc, & you should do fine w/no problems.
 teetotaller1
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2011 2:52:41 PM
I am a lawyer and met a two lawyers here . I met up with one in LA and we are great friends and the other I hope to meet one day and we are pen pals..

I think lawyers recognise each other in the way we think and express ourselves. We are no different from any other profession where we handle sensitive client information and are duty bound to privacy rules.
 larissan04
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/4/2011 5:59:01 AM
there are some doctors and lawyers on this site, but not that many. as a matter of fact, i was on pof a few years ago and i met a few doctors and lawyers back then. i am friends with them to this day! but now i don't think there are as many doctors or lawyers on this site.
anyway, i think pof has changed a lot over the years in general. people don't seem interested in meeting. instead they want to send endless emails back and forth for months. i have heard this from other people as well.
 wwibloved
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2011 6:58:32 AM
There are plenty of lawyers on this site - I am one of them. It sounds to me like those two were just trying to get you to 'sit up straight' in their presence. There are a lot of professionals in the work place that want nothing so much as to feel that they are the center of everyone's attention and have everyone by the short hairs - constant games to convince themselves of as much will and do ensue. Hard to believe how childish accomplished people can be, isn't it?
 BigDAngel
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/4/2011 9:23:05 AM
I've gone out with a few professionals that I met here on POF. Among them were both a lawyer and a doctor.
Professionals just need to be a little more selective and discrete. Nothing wrong with using an online dating site - it's more about how you conduct yourself in your description and encounters.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 37
Posted: 12/4/2011 10:40:42 AM
I've met a couple of lawyers from this site, dated one one and off for a couple of years, and have chatted with a couple of medical professionals, as well.

I've also heard from several cops here on POF over the years, but I refuse to date them, so it never went anywhere.
 platypus_man
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2011 1:32:37 PM

there are some doctors and lawyers on this site, but not that many

There are more than you think. They just don't advertise their occupation here. I've met three in the past few years here, and none of them had their real profession anywhere in their profile.
 mancubs
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/4/2011 7:15:31 PM
Hey man do what the hell you want its a free world
 free_pizza
Msg: 40
Posted: 12/4/2011 11:19:48 PM
Yes, but many of us don't actively use the site for dating. According to another poster, there are apparently many prospects lined up for us in real life so we don't need it. Still trying to figure that one out but will chalk it up to anger issues by a rogue poster.

Also, like many have already said, during the few weeks that I did actively use this site, I did not list my real occupation. Would rather attract someone for who I am rather than what I do. It appears that many other professionals share the feeling.

I see no stigma attached to your situation and wonder about the context in which your colleagues chastised you for online dating -- unless is was specific to POF. Then they might have a point.
 FedFireRon
Msg: 41
Posted: 12/10/2011 9:18:07 AM
I did take a cop out on a date, she was a real nut job.
 MandyLOVESCandy
Msg: 42
Posted: 12/10/2011 9:55:47 AM
there are a lot of of "on-line" doctors and lawyers

meaning that their "Virtual" MDs & LLBs/JDs are not valid in the real offline world..

faith211958
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/23/2012 12:37:43 PM
I'm a member of POF and I had the same question.
I need to know if the reply had come from a male or a female
 Lilbitofsugaandspice
Msg: 44
Posted: 10/23/2012 1:44:48 PM
There ate I dated a couple
 2hotcougar
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/23/2012 2:11:02 PM
sounds like you might be a status person i look at the heart and soul of a person not at a persons bank book
 lobo65
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2012 2:42:52 PM
I am a Kinesiotherapist working at a V.A. hospital. I only had one incident occur when I was dating because the lady knew one of my patients. I told her I couldn't divulge any info. about him, and she understood. I don't have to worry about dating patients though. The majority of mine are WWII male veterans.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 47
Posted: 10/23/2012 2:47:06 PM
I'm not a doctor, but I'm on this site and willing to PLAY doctor. (wink)
 sexysunfish68
Msg: 48
Posted: 10/23/2012 3:51:41 PM
Why would doctors and lawyers be on this largely sleazy freebie site lol! Any professional man can get women in real life I would say. i.e. money and status. helllooooo!!! duh!!!
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 49
Posted: 10/23/2012 5:15:22 PM

There ate I dated a couple

Say what?

Why would doctors and lawyers be on this largely sleazy freebie site lol! Any professional man can get women in real life I would say. i.e. money and status. helllooooo!!! duh!!!

Because it is free and because the same people are on all the sites. In my time here, I have met an MD, a dentist, a psychologist, and at least two lawyers. I have been contacted by more but we didn't meet.

The medical doctor was short and lied about not only his height, but his age. The psychologist (not my first go 'round with one, but I met the other in real life), was cuckoo. The dentist was pompous and boring. One lawyer was, well, shady--the other was flaky.

Professional men are not always wealthy and if they are buttheads, they will only retain women who are status seekers.
 dandan7979
Msg: 50
Posted: 10/23/2012 7:56:51 PM
I am a lawyer. Though I did not use this site for online dating, I used another pay site with fairly good results. I had some good first meets, first dates and am now pursuing a relationship with someone I really like (we have only been together about 6 weeks, but we have talked how we both can see ourselves having a future with each other, which is a good start, IMO).

When I was active on the other site, I saw plenty of other lawyers and doctors (although more lawyers). This notion that "professional" people (as if these professions are the only two that should be considered "professional") don't "need" online dating is absurd. In fact, I used online dating in large part because I was so busy. I simply don't have time to spend in bars trying to meet people, and when I do go to the bar, I like to hang out with friends.

I found online dating a great way to meet potential mates, and schedule short meets, which often took place during lunch or right after work.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Are there any lawyers or doctors on this site?