Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > New runner, Any advice??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gingerchick30
Msg: 19
New runner, Any advice??Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I found the Hal Higdon half marathon training app, but it's only for Iphone, and I have an Android phone. Anyone know of an Android app that's similar or where I can find the Hal Higdon training app for Android??
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 20
view profile
History
New runner, Any advice??
Posted: 1/5/2012 11:12:44 PM
As someone else mentioned it... MUSIC!!! Not just any, but something you really love. You could compile mellow rhythms sandwiched between energetic music and time it to your desired length.
 aboutgettingby
Msg: 21
New runner, Any advice??
Posted: 1/9/2012 11:19:53 PM

"Galloway's Book on Running" is amazing. I think the author was Jim Galloway.
Make sure you get good shoes that really work for you, Galloway sold shoes in his running store.
Some shoes just don't work for a person. Find your brand?
Eat healthy and drink a lot of water.
Have fun.
Take it easy running down hill.
Be a good coach and take care of your body. Give it lots of;water, rest, massage, healthy whole food so it has all the vitamins and nutrients to function properly. Stay away from vitamins(your body doesn't know how to use them with out the other stuff in good food), eat right, sleep right, think right (let go of stressful negative thoughts) and you will have a great race and life.
Best
Scott

Get and use Galloway's book as your Bible. You can pretty much predict how difficult the race will be and what your time will be based on his training programs. He covers almost any pace at any distance.
 SuperFunGuy
Msg: 22
New runner, Any advice??
Posted: 1/11/2012 12:03:11 PM
Number one thing. Runners with excellent foot support. Nike shox or gel padded runners. OMG! Love em!
 911love
Msg: 23
New runner, Any advice??
Posted: 1/11/2012 2:35:14 PM

the only folks who successfully train solo are usually hardcore, long-time jocks.

LOL; that is funny!

I trained with others for my first offical 5k about 9 years ago and ever since Ive trained on my own. I often meet up with other runners at events, or I might run while training once with other runners. Ive run 5, 10, 15k's on my own and one half marathon. I am running my second next month. You have to have an independant mind and determination!
 aboutgettingby
Msg: 24
New runner, Any advice??
Posted: 1/13/2012 12:04:14 PM

LOL; that is funny!

I trained with others for my first offical 5k about 9 years ago and ever since Ive trained on my own. I often meet up with other runners at events, or I might run while training once with other runners. Ive run 5, 10, 15k's on my own and one half marathon. I am running my second next month. You have to have an independant mind and determination!

Not sure how you could ever train with anyone long term, you run at your own pace, you have your own off days different than others, you have things in your life that are specific to you and impact your training schedule etc..

The only thing I ever found beneficial in training with others is speedwork sessions, great for motivation, and long runs, if you are running 20 miles your pace doesn't matter and you can plan them a couple of weeks in advance.
 911love
Msg: 25
New runner, Any advice??
Posted: 1/13/2012 4:41:22 PM
The reason I don't train with others is cause of the pace issue. I always feel like I have to catch up or slow down. But the other women I do run with are all very inspiring! Yeah I am definitely not a hard core jock! LOL!
 itspeaches
Msg: 26
New runner, Any advice??
Posted: 1/14/2012 4:10:27 PM
keep hydrated.
Do not wear ankle socks. (rubbing on heals sucks).
Don't worry about everyone else's pace, run at a comfortable one.
 gingerchick30
Msg: 27
New runner, Any advice??
Posted: 1/16/2012 3:31:40 PM
I signed up to do a 3 hour walk to raise money for a new childrens' hospital in my town. I think it will give me a little taste of what I'm up against for the half marathon:) I'm excited to get a little practice AND raise money for a good cause!
 billingsmason
Msg: 28
New runner, Any advice??
Posted: 4/6/2012 4:03:56 PM
I run to military cadence... helps take the mind off how much it can suck, or how much I'm hurting, or want to quit.
When I started it was hard to go any distance. Now I measure it in time, can go for 3 1/2 hours.. no idea how far that is, but with practice I am recovering in just a few blocks of walking. Still feel drained after a big run(next day).
Smoking doesn't seem to effect it either- funny.
Parkour is a solid cross training break from the norm. Like cross country on crack...

Good luck with it. It's more of a mental challenge than physical one.
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 29
view profile
History
New runner, Any advice??
Posted: 4/20/2012 12:13:57 AM
To: The wise fool
Why not give your advise here on the forum so everyone can benefit? Are you advertising for your website?
 sportyfungirl
Msg: 30
New runner, Any advice??
Posted: 4/20/2012 6:32:12 PM
i ran my 1st half mara thon nov 2011. i've been running 5ks for over ten yrs. advise get great shoes and socks and do not get any pedicures. runevery day 2-3 miles daily1-2 times per week run long 6-1o miles. be sure to hydrate , both water and gatorade try energy blast gels by powerbar eat enough to support you mileage. feel free to power walk , you don't have to run the entire time. wet your hair and hat to stay cool.. get advice from marathon runners. it's a blast good luck have fun... Sheryl.. personal trainer, runner..
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 31
New runner, Any advice??
Posted: 4/25/2012 7:40:15 PM
I've been running almost everyday for about four years now.
I started with the cushy shoes and battled shin splints and other crap so much I switched to the barefoot fad.
I got hurt doing that, too, because my stride was a fundamental disaster! I haven't seen anyone here mention stride, just how to stay motivated and hydrated, but stride and form are VERY important to your long term running health.

With lots of practice, my stride is much better than it was. I run in minimalist foot wear or barefoot these days, with a forefoot strike. It's gotten to the point that my feet are nearly silent when they hit the ground. I sprint this way as well.

My advice to you on your running journey, no matter how you choose to do it, is to think of it as an athletic activity that requires coordination and grace. It's not a "fight through the pain" mental sport. If it hurts all the time, you're doing something wrong, that's my opinion. Research running form and evaluate where you are and where you want to be and work on it!

Your shoes don't matter; barefoot or not, if your stride is messed up, you will be, too.
 DragonBits
Msg: 32
New runner, Any advice??
Posted: 4/26/2012 6:36:58 PM
specifictruths
It's not a "fight through the pain" mental sport.

For anyone training to run, that is the single most important piece of advice. You can really hurt yourself by trying to run when in pain, especially if you do it several days in a row. I know 2 people that messed up their knees for life by ignoring pain while running.
 Truthbetold75
Msg: 33
New runner, Any advice??
Posted: 4/27/2012 9:33:04 PM
Too much running on concrete is no good for your knees, better to walk long distances then run on concrete. If you are going to run then you should consider running on a sandy beach or on grass only. Just think about the pounding your knees are taking while running on concrete like I see so many people doing today.
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 34
New runner, Any advice??
Posted: 4/28/2012 7:55:31 PM
You're right, Truthbetold75, but a runner can still pound knees into submission running on soft surfaces if they do it incorrectly.
 DragonBits
Msg: 35
New runner, Any advice??
Posted: 4/29/2012 7:37:56 PM
sportyfungirl women is inspiring, I should try and run at least a 10K. I switched today to running from elipical machine. I usually only run on a treadmill, it's convenient, a good surface and I can monitor heartrate.

Checked out the barefoot five fingers running glove, very odd feeling. I think I will get a pair, I can see how you should start out slow with them, your foot hits the ground in a very different way.
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 36
New runner, Any advice??
Posted: 4/30/2012 3:11:39 AM
^^^ I've been using them for 2 years now. Start slow and focus on mid-foot or fore-foot striking. No more than a half mile or so for your first 8-10 runs and gradually increase from there.
 DragonBits
Msg: 37
New runner, Any advice??
Posted: 5/1/2012 12:38:02 AM
^^^ I tried on the women's SPYRIDON LS and CLASSIC. Women's because my feet are small, and the two models were the opposite ends of the spectrum, with the SPYRIDON LS having the thickest soles. Thick being relative

I liked the classic best, but I only ran a short time on the threadmill they had in the store. And the classic was the easist to get on.

What model do you have?
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 38
New runner, Any advice??
Posted: 5/1/2012 3:23:15 AM
I started with Bikila but they fell apart too fast (both pairs).
I now workout and run in KSO, and hike in KSO Trek. KSO is quite durable and very minimalist and simple.
 DragonBits
Msg: 39
New runner, Any advice??
Posted: 5/6/2012 10:08:00 PM
specifictruths, what sort of surface do you run on and how many miles do you put on a week? Do you and your wife run together?

I run on a threadmill and would hope that even the Bikila would last quite a long time on such a smooth surface. I set the machine at a 1.5 degree angle to better simulate running outside. I think 0.7 angle is the best, but at 1.5 it means if I do run a 10K it should be easier than a 10K on a threadmill. Just got back into running, I am up to 4.5 miles in an hour, so I run / walk. Use the heart rate montor to judge how tired I am getting.

My two goals are related, to lose 20 lbs down to 142 and to run for an hour at about 6 MPH. (Last time I was running a hour I got down to 130.)

I saw you post the following, which is my thought as well

Yup, I look forward to a lifetime of sex getting better and better! It might sound shallow, but the main reason I watch what I eat closely and work out so much is so I can preserve my sexual health.

Not just sexual, but that is a big part of it.
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 40
New runner, Any advice??
Posted: 5/7/2012 3:24:27 AM
I run on all surfaces, and yes we run together on weekends.
My Bikilas fell apart because the rubber separated from the fabric on both pairs. I don't think it had anything to do with the surface I run on. KSOs have been so much more durable for me I've simply stuck to them a while.

Not just sexual, but that is a big part of it.

I heard a urologist say that people compartmentalize the body too much. His take on erectile dysfunction is that it's a vascular issue and it's quite likely that lots of other blood vessels are constricted or clogged; ED is just a symptom of a much bigger health issue.
 DragonBits
Msg: 41
New runner, Any advice??
Posted: 5/7/2012 6:20:09 AM
^^^ I am sure you and the Doc are right about the ED thing just being a symptom of bigger health issues. I am not worried about health at that level. I have exercised most of my life, but I do tend to cycle from doing nothing for a few months to pushing hard. 10 years ago I let myself go for over 11 months, then I got to my max weight of 190. I figure if I can stay at 140 I will be happy, but I have gotten down to 130 before.

LOL, maybe if 130-140 isn't too difficult, I will shoot for 120 just to see how it looks, but I doubt I could maintain it. I am ~5.5.

Exercise and sex relationship for me is more about being flexible in bed, having increased muscle stamina, things like that. A pleasing physique is really nice as I expect a women to also make a big effort for me. I don't like to see myself with a noticeable belly, nor do I was to see it on my partner. One reason I asked if you work out together.

What usually happens is if I let myself get out of shape it takes a couple of months of hard work to get back. The older I get the faster I can get out of condition and the longer it takes to get back. When I am out of shape if I try to go an hour on a elliptical machine I have a hard time making it. Then I might get home and take a long nap.

The other day 20 miles with rolling hills on the bike was a little tiring. The next day 2 hours of cardio was less tiring. But I am breaking through back to a level where I can see benefits from exercise. Moving faster, less muscle pain DOMS, everyday items feel lighter in weight. Same cycle I am used to in the past.

The challenge for me it to maintain a level after I reach my goals. Often once I reach a goal I somehow think I can stop.

You are lucky you have that attitude you do at a young age, it is far easier to maintain exercise when you have a lifetime habit of regular activity. Nice to see your positive post.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > New runner, Any advice??