Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > How much of a difference does 20 pounds REALLY make?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 seventiesbaby2
Msg: 128
How much of a difference does 20 pounds REALLY make?Page 9 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
Well since i had my galblader out 2 yrs ago I gained 30 lbs... my weight now fluctuates almost in a 20 lbs range. I can wear a 12 or I can wear a size 16. I have found that each 10 lbs is a dress size. I posted my heavy pics on here so if a guy meets me and I am thiner he wouldnt be upset. I think most guys dont like over weight ladys. It does make a difference in the clothing i can wear. But poeple in my real life dont notice it that much.. i think becasuee my weight is constantly all over the place. 20 pounds does show... at least i am staying fit jogging daily ... but i do hate being overwieght
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 129
How much of a difference does 20 pounds REALLY make?
Posted: 2/16/2012 3:16:59 PM
"The greatest beauty tip:
For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his / her hands through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone. People, more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed, never throw out anyone. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms. As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands; one for helping yourself, and the other for helping others. be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."

"Make-up can only make you look pretty on the outside but it doesn't help if your ugly on the inside. Unless you eat the make-up."

"The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she shows & the beauty of a woman only grows with passing years. "

Audrey Hepburn

I hate to see a woman beat herself up. I also hate to see a woman beat another woman up...as I've said before, women should be like a sisterhood to lift eachother up!
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 130
Posted: 2/16/2012 5:34:29 PM
@sweetness, my comment was directed to the woman who was apologizing for being a size 10 when she used to be a size 8- I told her she looked great- a positive comment...I called no one in here a bone...

I am going to edit any further comments that I may be thinking though... Audrey Hepburn was correct & I do not want to do any injustice to her wonderful, positive quotes.

I think Welsh made a really great statement in this thread, I don't have it in front of me, but if you look for it, it was very good advice...

So often in the forums ( & real life), I've seen women rip other women to shreds, like I said, we should encourage eachother in a positive way

oops- found it!

Nor do I care - if I met you for coffee I don't think I'd be saying "he looks 20 pounds heavier than his pictures", I can't tell.

Thing is, 9 times out of 10 times when I meet a guy for coffee he says "hmm, you are shorter than I thought". Well, it says on my profile that I'm 5'1" - to me that's short, I'm short. So either folks don't read profiles, they have no idea the difference between a size 8 and a size 12, can't tell the difference between 150 pounds and 170 pounds and so on. And just because you have a toupe doesn't mean you're not bald...and since when did grey hair become the new "multi-coloured" hair.

If I find the man sitting across from me interesting, charming, witty, etc., I really don't care if he's bald, blonde, 25 pounds overweight (by the insurance scales), has brown eyes, etc.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 131
Posted: 2/16/2012 7:16:26 PM

No, your comment was that "only a dog likes a bone", which basically referred (from the context in which you stated it) to any woman that was less than a size 10 being a "bone". I deliberately refrained from bringing clothing sizes into it, since the woman you referenced looks like a very beautiful lady to me, at least from her thumbnail pic, and really it didn't matter what size she is or was. It was your comment that stood out glaringly as being contradictory to your own statement of "supporting all the sisterhood" or whatever nonsense.

Do you see the difference yet? Or does the sisterhood you speak of only work if one's agenda is realized?

no, i never said anyone less than a size 10 was a bone, sorry if you mis-interpreted or read more into anything. I agree she looks lovely. How is supporting of sisterhood nonsense? No I have no agenda, other than to, in that particular post, be supportive of a lovely woman who went from a size 8 to 10.
Feel free to read whatever you like into things, that is your perogative
Every woman deserves to feel happy & confident within herself regardless of size & hopefully shouldn't have to apologize for herself
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 132
Posted: 2/18/2012 7:06:56 PM
I wonder how much the average pair of breast implants weigh

They weigh approximately 1lb each.

Alternatively consider how much fat is lipo suctioned off the average patient paying for this procedure - is it significantly more than 20 lbs.

Depending on the area & the extent, approximately 2lbs, the liquid removed would fill a 2 liter plastic soda bottle. Lipo is not a magic cure, but a tool to help get you to your healthy weight goal, & help with fat in places, that no matter what the patient does, there isn't any reduction in that area through natual ways. The patient should be working out on a regular basis before Lipo. After lipo, the patient has to start walking right away, & has to follow heathy eating habits & a regular excercise program, forever. There has to be serious lifestyle change. If not, the fat will come back. Not all in the same place where the lipo was performed, as some but not all of the fat cells are removed during the procedure. The fat will come back, in other places as well, back, arms, butt, etc. The sucess also depend on how much the patient excercises after the procedure, & genitically how elastic the skin is. If the patient doesn't excercise as directed, or doesn't have elastic properties in the skin, the result can be hanging skin. I'm not in the medical field, but I got this info from a lady I met who works in a plastic surgeons office.
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 133
Posted: 3/3/2012 8:36:23 PM

If the lady is short, 20 pounds is a lot.

I pretty much agree. It's amazing how the self esteem rises when you lose 20-30 pounds as well. Smaller jeans, face, arms, boobs equals feeling good even if you still have more to go.

I worked my ass off (literally) to lose 40 pounds. I felt good n thought I looked better. Id notice men glance n look away real quick. Gained 20 pounds back n cant go anywhere without someone approaching me for something... directions, recipes, holding doors open, help pump my gas, phone # ... as much as these guys piss n moan about weight most men do appreciate curves!
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 134
Posted: 11/1/2012 1:58:44 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread cuz I have a female friend...she used to be heavier & lost some weight...she found that the females she made friends w/ when she was heavier are not so friendly now that she is not their eating buddy/fat friend. I think a couple are even jealous, they stayed heavy, one even gained...
HAS any had that happen? needed new friends AFTER a weightloss, cuz the old ones were unsupportive/saboteurs???
 justdeb1111
Msg: 135
Posted: 11/3/2012 6:27:15 PM
Muscle weighs more than fat. You can look at one person who is physically active either in their job or the gym, and another who is a couch potato. Height and weight being the same, the couch potato is going to look "heavier".

It's not about the actual weight, obviously, it's about how it is carried and where.
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 136
Posted: 11/3/2012 6:58:20 PM

Society has slipped ridiculously into complacency on this issue, because of " rights " of people to eat whatever they wish. In the same breath the government bemoans the state of the health care system, while they issue permits for fast food chains.

or, "allowing" people to do other things terrible for their health such as regularly wearing 4" heels as you state you do, when done regularly causes stress on joints in the ankles, knees, hips, & back. Leading oncologists believe that wearing high heels regularly causes inflammation that will lead to cancer in the longer run..see getting all holier than thou can back fire..but wearing heels is about looks so that's OK and good, right?

bring on the ban on high heels; Big Brother knows best!
 colomtman
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2012 7:40:46 PM
well as someone said on here ...beauty is all in the eye of the beholder... however..over 33% of our population is obese.. with a high BMI and our kids are showing the signs of disease that an old man would have because they have been obese for their formative years...
by the time your in your 20,30.40s and up if you have been obese all your life..then you already are an old sick person.. its bad for your heart..joints..health ...so 20# may not be unattractive to someone..but it is a death sentence to the one that is packing it... if that extra weight is fat and not muscle...
 Paderic
Msg: 138
Posted: 11/4/2012 7:01:19 AM
For those that don't think 20 pounds is much, I would suggest that you carry two and a half gallons of water (or nine liters) around for awhile.

Or while those of you in the US are shopping for your Thanksgiving turkey, hoist a 20 pounder and imagine distributing it around your midsection.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 139
Posted: 11/4/2012 8:49:05 AM
To get the idea of the diffrence of 20lb ... go to the store pick up four 5lb bags of rice. Carry it around while you are doing the rest of the shopping. Before you are ready to go and pay. Go and put the rice back, That relief you feel when you put the rice back. That would be the diffrence that 20lb make feels like, Except we carry it 24/7.
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 140
Posted: 11/4/2012 9:20:40 AM

To get the idea of the diffrence of 20lb ... go to the store pick up four 5lb bags of rice. Carry it around while you are doing the rest of the shopping. Before you are ready to go and pay. Go and put the rice back, That relief you feel when you put the rice back. That would be the diffrence that 20lb make feels like, Except we carry it 24/7

REALLY makes one wonder how those NFL Linebackers who weigh 320 lbs. are able to sprint so fast and move fast..or NBA players, many of whom exceed 250 lbs.., many are north of 270..

maybe we should only hire male firefighters, construction workers or cops who weigh under 150 so they can move faster, with more endurance??
 HaydenFan
Msg: 141
Posted: 11/4/2012 9:47:07 AM

REALLY makes one wonder how those NFL Linebackers who weigh 320 lbs. are able to sprint so fast and move fast..or NBA players, many of whom exceed 250 lbs.., many are north of 270..

maybe we should only hire male firefighters, construction workers or cops who weigh under 150 so they can move faster, with more endurance??
I trained with one of those 280 lb freaks just to 'try' and keep up lol. Outstanding when those giants are so agile isn't it?

Op I'd have to say that yes 20 lbs does indeed make a difference. I'm now far more active and fit after getting back to the gym. For me it's less about vainity and more about respecting one's physical health. I will add that I'm exponentially more attracted to women that are athletic and confident as well. It really does show through in their personality and it never takes more than four sentences to tell if it's for health or just vainity.
 Paderic
Msg: 142
Posted: 11/4/2012 10:03:17 AM

Most professional athletes have high BMI numbers because they carry a lot more muscle tissue than the average person.

As for the NFL, I suspect you're talking about linemen and not linebackers (I doubt there are any linebackers in the league that exceed 300 lbs). Some linemen do carry quite a bit of adipose tissue around their midsection, but they are also extremely strong. As a result, they are able to move quickly in short bursts, which is ideal for their specialty. Not many are able to run very fast for any distance.

NBA players that weigh 250+ also tend to be well over 6'6" tall. The league average is about 6'7" and 225 lbs.

For the average citizen with a sedentary lifestyle, an extra 20 lbs of fat is significant.
 Debisusanne
Msg: 143
Posted: 11/4/2012 11:14:08 AM
I've recently lost (only) 12 lbs.. and am now getting hit on by the ANTI fat chick guys..

fat chance they have a chance.. :))

I didnt lose it to attract them.. i just want a green BMI and cool clothes to wear..
 chelseajkt1
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2012 1:34:04 PM
Don't forget about bunion surgery with the heels.
 chelseajkt1
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2012 1:46:14 PM
I know of a woman who swims who had to gain weight to accomplish her swims. She has done 3 out of the 7 world ocean swims. For the Ireland swim she had to gain weight. I would love to be as strong as she is. I'm also a swimmer not nearly as good as she but probably do it 2-3 times a week. I'm healthy and work out in different ways. One summer I did nothing more than walk and my legs doubled in size in 3 months. I also used to do ankle weights. My weight is mainly muscle and I have a large bone structure. I'm toned and that's good eneough for me. If I'm 20 lbs over good luck in trying to lose it. I've seen the pain women have gone thru for bunion surgery for no reason other than wearing heels.
 CDMer
Msg: 146
Posted: 11/4/2012 1:53:57 PM
20 pounds of fat makes a huge difference in one's appearance and in one's energy level, life expectancy, blood pressure, joint wear and tear and in general, one's state of both physical and mental health.
 chelseajkt1
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2012 3:28:10 PM
My joint wear and tear is from 2 car accidents no fault of my own. This last accident probably about 100,000.00 was put into me due to the accident as I call it Humpty Dumpty has been put back together. It's not always due to weight. My blood pressure is fine. I probably do more exercise than most people. I work out on a total gym, have cords, bands, medicine ball, weights and I swim in addition to an elliptical. I don't know of very many people who have experienced what I have and still have an upbeat attitude. I had an accident where the driver came down the wrong side of the road hit the car in front of me, broadsided my car I got hit worse in all he totalled a small car, my SUV and his truck. How would you like to be his insurance company?
 usernonymous
Msg: 148
Posted: 11/5/2012 5:45:00 PM
It's not about the number of pounds, its about % of weight lost. A person who goes from 200 to 180 would be more noticeable than a person going from 400 to 380.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 149
Posted: 11/5/2012 7:16:29 PM
20 pounds can be a HUGE difference. i lost some weight over the last couple years and i dropped about 20 pounds. i had a ton of people coming up to me telling me how much better i look now. and im not really a small guy either, at 5'10 200 lbs. if people can easily see 20 pounds on me, imagine 20 pounds on a woman, who will most likely have less muscle tone and be shorter. the difference is drastic in many cases. anyone on here who has lost 20 pounds since taking their pics should remove all the older pics and replace them with new, thinner pics. itll probably help.
 Confuzzled4ever
Msg: 150
Posted: 11/5/2012 8:04:42 PM
It's both really..

20 pounds is a huge difference unless you are an extremely obese person.

but losing the weight will also make you feel better and will boost your confidence..

So you look better.. and you feel better.

both make you more attractive to the opposite sex.

I didn't lose any weight.. I'm just super happy and smiling all the time. LOL

I get hit on constantly now it's ridiculous.

So it can also be either one or the other, rather then both..

Although.. if you're not happy or confident in yourself.. you might not see an increase in attention even if you lose the weight.. In my opinion anyway..
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 151
Posted: 11/5/2012 8:52:47 PM

I'm resurrecting this thread cuz I have a female friend...she used to be heavier & lost some weight...she found that the females she made friends w/ when she was heavier are not so friendly now that she is not their eating buddy/fat friend. I think a couple are even jealous, they stayed heavy, one even gained...
HAS any had that happen? needed new friends AFTER a weightloss, cuz the old ones were unsupportive/saboteurs???

Sadly, I soooooo know what she’s going through (and what you’re asking.) For me, it was 20 years ago and I still remember the nastiness/cattiness/meanness/ridiculousness very clearly. At the time, I was mystified. Not so much so now. Unfortunately? There are still times when things from other women will crop up and prove to me that I have very few true female friends. I don’t care to figure out the “why”s involved anymore. I no longer let other people’s problems become mine. I’d suggest your friend cut her losses and make friends who only those who celebrate her accomplishments.

~OT~ 20 pounds, in my world is a HUGE difference. I’d be adding a 1/5 of me to me. NO WAY! My SO and I both recently added weight (5 pounds for me, 10 for him) on purpose. He added lean mass and I added fat pounds. We were both in need of a little and so we consciously did so. But when the weight gain was achieved, we both went back to maintenance in order to stay exactly as we wanted to be. I’m certain some won’t like our attitudes on weight gain, but we both agree ~ if either one of us gains weight to the point of looking chubby or fat? It’ll be problematic to the relationship. 20 years ago when we met, we were both over-weight and over time, we both adopted lifestyles conducive to healthy living. Many people will overlook the love-handles, the tummy-pouches and even the saddle-bags/double chins, etc. I think it’s more than great so many think differently than I (we) do. Fortunately in life, we only live our own lives because I’d not be willing to overlook 20 pounds in my SO, even if he were adding straight-up muscle. I don’t like the muscle-head look (or mentality) and I wouldn’t do well with someone who doesn’t mind if I gain fat because I don’t have the wherewithal to keep it at bay. This is definitely one of those topics that I firmly believe is a “like-minds” do best. JMO
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 152
Posted: 11/6/2012 7:24:38 AM

Weight makes such a huge difference in the way people look. Weight makes you look so much older.
I know, you don't wanna hear that.

true, within a certain range, around 'normal, fit' boy type/weight.

anorexia also does make one look a lot older too, I know obesity is a more common problem, but the bone-rack anorectic cougars who think they look "hot" at 45 because they are skinny (5;6", 100 lbs.,or less. ) are also sadly mistaken ..
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > How much of a difference does 20 pounds REALLY make?