Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Chat Not Working      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 skippyjohn
Msg: 13
Chat Not WorkingPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
This message addressed to the penney pinching nerds who run POF.Your previous chat was hopeless your new one makes the old one look like an advanced technical innovation.Did some nerd convince you idiots at a business meeting that this was a positive ,profit increasing corporate move.My contract expires in Feb.2012 i would imagine me and thousands like me (hopefully) will cancell quickly and put you nerdy mopes out of business for your sheer technical ineptitude.How can you meet someone when the dating service we are paying for introduces a new chat format that simply doesnt work .If i was a shareholder in POF. i would be very concerned about the level of incompetence being displayed by your management team which obviously approved the latest Merry Xmas screw up.Get your act together or its sayonara in FEb.furthermore i will go out of my way to cyber bad mouth you dolts until you clean up this mess.
 edgeofseventeen
Msg: 14
Chat Not Working
Posted: 12/23/2011 8:21:07 AM
Me too! Sometimes I can chat very briefly, then it just freezes. Other times I can't do anything with it. I sent a message to POF with no response as of yet.
Chat Not Working
Posted: 12/23/2011 12:24:15 PM
Hello

I have the same problem no problem connecting
But when I go to type I have to beat the keys to get it to type!!!

Its very frustrating to chat with anyone now this has just happened this week
since they changed the chatting!!!!

please fix it !!!!!!!

merry christmas
Robin
 Falcon91
Msg: 16
Chat Not Working
Posted: 12/24/2011 6:47:49 AM
Ok....for all you people to know, I'm not a POF tech staff...I'm attempting to trouble shoot the problem for you....no one has supplied me with the information that I need to start completely trouble shooting.

1. for those of you on Internet explorer switch browsers it's a unsecure browser
2. If you give me the info I requested there then I can trouble shoot...as I have said I have nearly every browser
3. Request stuff....don't whine about it....I'm attempting to help and I'm starting to catch heck for helping what does that show?
 lclizardking2
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Chat Not Working
Posted: 12/25/2011 11:48:31 PM
the chat sucked before the change, now its worse, lol un beleivable
 lclizardking2
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Chat Not Working
Posted: 12/25/2011 11:49:58 PM
if u get a chic that wants to chat, just tell her to yahoo u , lol **** pof chat
 BigFish
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Chat Not Working
Posted: 12/30/2011 12:47:20 AM
we should clear up keys not working issues next week.

Its pretty much old machines with very little memory and our chat currently uses way to much memory. In the mean time if you close other programs while chatting it should work in most cases. We did a update today that has fixed it for most people.
 Falcon91
Msg: 20
Chat Not Working
Posted: 1/4/2012 3:02:03 AM
like the big fish said GIVE IT TIME....For those of you who don't know beta testing and updating can take days, months, or even years. So give it time, just be happy that he still runs the site and remember the testing team has lives too.
 Notricksters
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Chat Not Working
Posted: 1/4/2012 3:23:19 PM
POF PLEASE go back to the old chat!!!
 Falcon91
Msg: 22
Chat Not Working
Posted: 1/6/2012 6:10:00 PM
You really don't get how computer softeware is developed do you?

No offence but working with coding is a lot different then working at a everyday job. In code one small mistype and the program crashes, it takes a long time to develop code.

That doesn't even account for beta testing, and final testing.

Also you targeting me with a direct comment here's one for you.

You may have lives, but you complain on here. These guys have to deal with the comments shot at them from everyone on this site, which if I recall is over 1 million people. On a daily basis the average person deals with maybe MAYBE 100 people, coders, developers, owners, and testers have to please millions of people. So before you start saying they need to hurry up think of how much has to be invested in all this.

I can vouch for Markus on this one, I'm a former server admin for a game server group. Everytime something went wrong we had to go into the files figure it out bring the server online test if it worked. If it didn't we had to shut the server down figure it out and test again. So why not lay off telling him they need to hurry up.

EDIT: Just saw you were a paying member, as has been said have some patients. You may complain your entitled to as a paying member. But when the admin says "The software is being tested currently to fix this". That's when you lay off of complaining for a bit and let him announce a update to the site when the coding and testing gets done.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Chat Not Working
Posted: 1/7/2012 1:08:58 PM
I don't know, seems like the chat has been working fine to me on both my computers. For those having problems, try removing your old version of Flash Player and updating to the newest version.

Windows XP

Go to start/ Control Panel / Add and Remove Programs and uninstall Flash Player.

Windows Vista and Windows 7

Go to start/ control Panel/ add and Programs And Features and uninstall Flash Player.

Then go here to install the latest version of Adobe Flash Player.

Link

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP
 Falcon91
Msg: 24
Chat Not Working
Posted: 1/7/2012 3:13:50 PM
^win^

Anyway follow his steps combined with mine and you should be able to get it working
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Chat Not Working
Posted: 1/7/2012 9:50:56 PM
I don't think my pc can handle the chat. It only uses an Intel Core i7 2600k, 8gb DDR3 1600 ram, ATI Radeon 6850 and SATA III 128gb SSD.
 Falcon91
Msg: 26
Chat Not Working
Posted: 1/7/2012 11:37:02 PM
show off steel.....I'm gonna build a computer to out due yours...then we get on games and yell who has the biggest epeen xD
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Chat Not Working
Posted: 1/8/2012 11:55:30 PM
show off steel.....I'm gonna build a computer to out due yours...then we get on games and yell who has the biggest epeen xD

Man, before this pc I built 6 months ago, I was still running an Socket 939 AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ system with 4gb of DDR400 ram, 320gb SATA II 7200rpm hard drive, and an ATI Radeon 3670 as my main system. I ran that sucker until the power supply blew out which took out my motherboard in the process. i'd would be still running that system today if it didn't break on me. So that's when I was like yep time to go upgrade and just go big like i did back in the end of 2005 when i built my last system so that I can have it for at least 4 years if not more without having to go build another system. I build my system mostly around longevity reasons, which is why once I build my systems I rarely have to upgrade the hardware for the life of the system itself.

I knew you had a fast modern box most likely based on your posts previously in this section. Which is why I mentioned it works for you but older boxs without much ram were the ones going tits up. Even my laptop with 2gb and win 7 runs fine. I dont have a crappier box to check on. But even it purrrrrs along. (wink)

Yeah not by choice though if my old pc was still working i'd be still using that today. I have another old socket 478 Pentium 4, 2.4ghz, PC with 1gb of DDR400 ram, intel extreme graphics IGP lol and a PATA 40gb 5400rpm hard drive running Windows XP. So I decided to take that out for a test on the chat and see if it causes any issues and nope. So if that thing can run it then i suspect between system resoruces being taken up and outdated flash software that, maybe to blame on other peoples pc's that are having issues with this chat. Adding more ram if they are only using 512mb will help but also reducing the amount of programs running automaticly in the background that don't need to be in start/run/msconfig under the starup tab will also help a lot as well in freeing up those system resoruces being taken away from the hardware.

But yeah if you are running an old system with only 512mb of ram it's time for a new pc. I mean Windows Live messenger requires 128mb of ram now lol. Upgrading outdated ram alone wouldn't be worth the cost of an old pc using DDR1 and DDR2 ram still because those types of ram have sky rocketed in price esp DDR1 since ram companies no longer produce them anymore. While DDR3 the newest generation of ram is dirt cheap, because it's in production and will be for some time to come until the end of 2014 when they totally stop production and move everything to DDR4 which should be out some time by 2013. Besides that, the lowest amount of ram you can get in DDR3 is like 1gb of ram sticks now, that's how cheap DDR3 ram has gotten because ram companies wouldn't make any money from anything less then 1gb of ram sticks now. Plus, pc's are soo dirt cheap now of days, that a typical pc user can get a new 350 dollar HP Pavilion p6t series PC for example with an intel Pentium G620 Dual Core CPU, 4gb of DDR3 ram, 500gb hard drive, an intel 2000 series HD IGP with Windows 7 which will be more then enough to do typical computer stuff on, that will last a long time for those types of users.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Chat Not Working
Posted: 1/11/2012 4:04:40 PM
Funny how some are having issues with it when i have had no issues on it even with my old Pentium 4 Dell sx260 pc that was made back in 2003! If that pc can run the chat fine, i'm sure prob everyone that's complaning about that chat on here more then likely has a newer system then that one can run it.

If your one of your pc's is only a week old then it should be able to def run it with no issue. Something tells me it's either some software issue on your computer, a virus of some sorts or a really slow internet connection causing your problem then.
 Driverman1228
Msg: 29
Chat Not Working
Posted: 1/11/2012 4:43:09 PM
do you know how to retrieve your last chat session
 BigFish
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Chat Not Working
Posted: 1/11/2012 11:55:29 PM
Hopefully pushing out a new version on the 12th that will cut the ram use in half.
 Falcon91
Msg: 31
Chat Not Working
Posted: 1/12/2012 12:45:16 AM
Unless you saved it you can't.
 faithdawson
Msg: 32
Chat Not Working
Posted: 1/12/2012 10:42:23 PM
When mine actually decides to open I try and type something and its like the keys are sticking and I have retype everything...driving me nuts!
 Falcon91
Msg: 33
Chat Not Working
Posted: 1/12/2012 11:18:22 PM
Faith, there will be a fix upcoming. It has been stated, give it time. The keys sticking is a user side instead of server side, soooo....follow some of the instructions in this thread and see if it works for ya.
 Mistybreeze201
Msg: 34
Chat Not Working
Posted: 1/16/2012 2:01:41 PM
I have a Dell Inspiron 1545. Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU, T4500@ 2.3 GHz, 2.00GB ram, 64 bit operatin system. Nothing special here. I have never had any trouble the chat .
 KoolKyle
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Chat Not Working
Posted: 2/25/2012 4:18:32 PM
A girl told me in a message that she responded to my IM but I never got her reply. The chat isn't working. Every time I IM a girl it says she never responded or she left the chat, but I know that's not always the case. I can't receive their IM's. Is anyone else having this problem?
 dragonman53
Msg: 36
Chat Not Working
Posted: 2/26/2012 7:37:41 PM
when i go to chat box it's wants me to download new firefox but if i do this firefox stop me from going to see my free movies help please
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Chat Not Working