Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 john_in_bh
Msg: 29
Spotting a fake profile???Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I have been here a long time, and I have to tell you as much as POF sucks in many ways I have only encountered a fake scam profile ONE time the entire time I have been on. I have gotten a lot more of that on other sites.
 Sweet_nezz
Msg: 30
Spotting a fake profile???
Posted: 12/7/2011 12:03:45 PM
I agree with chinadol6977....No one on this POF deserve to know more about you than you know about them....smdh. We all have to protect ourselves from these fake/scamming ***holes!
 SC67
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/27/2011 5:12:39 PM

your thoughts?

fake fake fake...although flake might also be a description. This e-mailing here & wanting to chat here & then moving to Yahoo...no thanks. Red flag!
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/27/2011 6:12:57 PM
If they don't want me looking at pics of them or see what they are posting, I don't want to meet them period

That's my rule also.

If you to hide anything from me, at all, either for real or imaginary reasons; I probably dont even want to know you.

anaej16
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/28/2011 7:11:18 AM
Just meet her!

If she cancels then tell her you dont like to play games!
J
 Portlanderr
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/28/2011 7:43:12 AM
I think it's a fake profile, probably someone in Nigeria or someplace who wants your money.

It's happened to me a few times too. A suggestion, have her send you an e-mail, an actual e-mail not chatting on Yahoo. Once you have her e-mail, find her IP address within the e-mail (you can go on line for instructions on how to find it), then type her IP address into a web site to trace (google it, there are many sites where you can trace an IP address). It sounds complicated, but it only takes a few minutes. The country of origin comes up once you trace the IP address.

If her "address" is anywhere other than where she says she's from, she's a scammer. Block and delete her.

It's happened to me twice on here, the first time it was a guy in the military -- supposedly. But there were red flags all over the place, starting with his horrible English. I reported him to POF, and his profile was deleted.

Here are some red flags:
- Horrible English
- Contradictions in where they grew up, what they do for a living, kids, etc.
- Telling you right away how much they're falling for you, or love you
- My guy on here used to find romantic quotes from the internet that he'd send to me, they were so lame, I guess he thought I would be swept off my feet
- Pictures
- Cancelling dates/meetings or not agreeing to meet
- Won't/can't give out their phone #
- Ask for money for whatever reason

Remember too that some scammers are in the US. The second scammer that contacted me was actually in Los Angeles, even though he told me he was in Maine. And one morning he left me a message saying he was traveling for work, couldn't get back to the US because he didn't have any money (had his wallet stolen?), and said he was thinking about killing himself. I shrugged, told him to go ahead. I haven't heard from him in a while . . .
 dmzvisitor
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/28/2011 11:44:34 AM
Posted By: christ on a crutch on 12/3/2011 9:35:22 PM
Subject: Spotting a fake profile???
the rule of 2's applies here. if a woman cancels twice, she's not interested. if i send a woman two texts/emails/vmails without a reply, she's not interested. that's my rule of thumb, anyway.

whether she's fake doesn't matter. it's enough that she's not in sync with you about meeting. time to move on.

Yep. After a 2nd miss, I send an email saying something like, "I guess you aren't ready to meet yet. You have my contact info; let me know if/when you are." Then I'm done.

This only applies to someone who has the courtesy to actually cancel vs. not showing up. You stand me up, you don't get another chance. (You probably don't want one, but hey, it makes me feel better to deny you the chance to try and lie and wheedle your way around me).

I like the rule of 2, because something can always go wrong--once. If someone's life is truly in such disarray that things go wrong more than that, I'm not interested. But usually, the 2nd excuse is likely to be a lie, anyway. Either way, I'm moving on.

edit: I just saw your follow-up. Why are you waiting around in any way for her? She is either not real or incredibly rude. If you put up with this and she DID turn out to be real, you have *already* taught her she can treat you badly. Honestly, why don't YOU think you deserve better? You are hot and relatively young. Move on!
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 37
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:10:46 PM
I normally find if something feels 'off' it really is.

Forget the webcam idea and schedule a meet - soon. If she keeps coming up with reasons to delay, move on.
 sersa1e
Msg: 38
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:32:57 PM
no facebooking strangers!!! met after 10 or so messages... they either agree, say later, or say thanks no thanks

if they flat out dont reply they are probably fake

Don't make my mistake. I talked to a 20 yr old girl for months online, she turned out to be in reality as old as my mom...meet as soon as you feel a connection.
 cutenperky2
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/28/2011 1:53:43 PM
Dont you have a cam? If she wont go on a cam maybe she aint who she says she is try that
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 40
Posted: 12/30/2011 9:38:44 PM
Trust & follow your gut instincts. There is something very w/this situation.
 walleyej
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/19/2012 3:54:13 AM
I agree with Gwen.I've also found that even "free" sites that require payment to upgrade,have scammers on them.They go by differant names like,online ambassador,affiliate member and so on & on &on.To those people I say SHAME ON YOU!!It's a dispicable act to prey upon someones desire to find a partner in life.I have seen one profile of the same person on the same site with the same pics for over 5 yrs.These people get Paid to generate subscription!! Meet soon after contact or MOVE ... ON.
 rec_diver
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/19/2012 7:57:50 AM

walleyej: To those people I say SHAME ON YOU!!It's a dispicable act to prey upon someones desire to find a partner in life

Yes I'm sure all the scammers and frauds and axe murderers are going to be very upset at your disapproval. Hopefully they will read your post and decide to turn over a new leaf.

walleyej:I have seen one profile of the same person on the same site with the same pics for over 5 yrs.These people get Paid to generate subscription!

I've seen lots of profiles with the same pictures during the entire 5 years I've been on and off this site in between relationships. A person might keep the same picture for 5 years because they don't think they look any different, or they know they don't look as good but they want to get dates, but it probably has nothing at all to do with them being a scammer or because they are being paid to generate paid memberships by the site owners.

walleyej:Meet soon after contact or MOVE ... ON.

I'll give you that one walleye.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/19/2012 8:04:59 AM

I've seen lots of profiles with the same pictures during the entire 5 years I've been on and off this site in between relationships. A person might keep the same picture for 5 years because they don't think they look any different, or they know they don't look as good but they want to get dates

i met a guy on another site from almost 10 yrs ago. His pic was old then. Guess what, he's on POF w/ same pic...scary...
 andyw722
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/19/2012 8:42:24 AM
I was on match for a few months and found nothing but scammers most of them led to malaysia even found same photo with two differant profiles i favourited both of them and reported it to match on which they did nothing.Look at the eye colour in the photo and in the desciption in the profile most of the time if they are not genuine they won't match up.
 RIPTIDE59
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/19/2012 9:48:09 AM
@ Ping Good message, Thanks. Also, if a profile is all head shots. For many reasons, big red flag. Obviously, no pic; no response. Meet ASAP. Don't get caught in the e-mail succubus. If it feels bad don't do it. Again, some posters assert that only 20% of theses profiles are dateable.
 Sully8545
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/19/2012 11:12:05 AM
A woman in my area took pictures of someone on TV and posted them has her profile pictures. Someone is in for a shock if they meet her.
 mysteriousblueirisheyes
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/19/2012 4:35:44 PM
Could be a dude, dude....
 AddHomonym
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/28/2012 11:59:09 AM
OP, stop sending messages to skanky tramps. Any genuine person can easily provide other pics or phone conversations. Not having access to a public computer with a cam is pretty unlikely, except for maybe some rural communities in developing nations.

I hope you haven't been sending her money?
 ColeenAnn
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/29/2012 1:25:32 AM
You've been talking to her on the phone? Then ask her to take a pic and send it to you immediately - one of her holding up 3 fingers, a piece of paper with todays date, etc., to prove it's recent. If she makes another excuse, then it's time to move on. I've busted hundreds of scammers on multiple sites for a few years now - tineye.com is about the best reverse-image site I've found for detecting stolen pics.
 1sexything
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/29/2012 3:43:21 AM
the rule of 2's applies here. if a woman cancels twice, she's not interested. if i send a woman two texts/emails/vmails without a reply, she's not interested. that's my rule of thumb, anyway.

Not true at all I have had to cancel many dates due to things that happen in life. Example just this weekend I have had to cancel twice. Once due to weather and 2nd do due to weather and a cold soooooo I do not agree with that rule at all. 2's
 QTEDUK8R
Msg: 51
Posted: 1/29/2012 6:27:53 AM
A few tidbits of advice from someone who has learned the hard way!! and from chatting with a man from Nigeria who was surprised I "caught" him so fast!!!

- no web cam is very suspicious
- ask for other pictures to be sent to your email or on pof...if they don't have any other pics ...suspicious
- watch their language and spelling, do they use very common simple words and is the grammar waaaay off...suspicious

TRUST YOUR GUT!!!- you don't have woman's intuition obviously but trust your man intuition if it doesn't add up to you you're probably right!!!
 nighsize
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/29/2012 9:32:26 AM
Probably a fake, but DEFINITELY a flake. Too many things point to someone who doesn't really want to meet up in real life. My question to you, OP, is why would it even matter if the profile is fake? The person is acting flaky. Take a hint and believe in the truth shown by her behavior. Your time would be better spent seeing if there is a connection with someone who will happily meet up for coffee/drink, etc. rather than giving you the run around.
 SerendipityHappens
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/29/2012 9:56:13 AM
I got one on my first day here. After a few messages exchanged I knew he was not as he presented...

Well written profile but his IMs had many simple grammar errors that suggested he was a non-native english speaker. When I asked him about it he insisted that he spoke english as a first language until I finally got him to admit that he did not..

He was WAY into me after just a few messages and thought I should take down my profile to devote my time to him alone .

He resisted talking about myself and seemed just ridiculously overly interested in me and wanting me to share very personal/emotional things to force me into some kind of weird bond with him.

His profile said he lived near me but he said he lives in a city several states away but will be moving to my state soon.. RED FLAG

His photos looked like the ones that come with the picture frame.

He is a widow.. but spells his wife's name Jenifer. I know that it is possible to spell Jennifer with one N but highly unlikely. Also he TOLD me about her death and where and when it happened and there is nothing in the news about it and NO obituary RED FLAG.. You can google this stuff and you'll ALWAYS find something.

I asked him if he has had a lot of snow (when I knew darn well that his city hadn't seen snow this year) and he told me that yes they had a lot and it was really cold.. (on this day it was 55 degrees in his city) RED FLAG ON FIRE

He told me his daughter was in second grade... In the next chat I asked his daughter's age and he said 5

No cam.

And basically a lot of other little things that didn't add up which he would blame on "being confused"

I really wanted to string him along and wait for him to ask for money but I was getting bored and would rather use my precious time trying to actually find someone.... so I called BS and he got upset and I haven't heard from him since.
 AddHomonym
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/29/2012 10:39:52 AM

the rule of 2's applies here.

I really like this rule and I think I might start using it.

People are cowards and flakes, even very professional and well meaning ones. My guess is that people are raised to believe that conflict is something to be avoided rather than met head on.

When I was in college, I had a full course load, three jobs, two girlfriends and I sat on the student council. I have never been busier in my entire life and yet I always managed to make time for both of my girlfriends. (I also got straight A's and a scholarship)

If someone tells you they are too busy to make a phone call or talk to you, they are full of shit. What they are doing, is hoping you will just go away and save them the trouble of having to be honest with you.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >