Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 56
Spotting a fake profile???Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I don't have a web cam, just got a lap top last year, & I have facebook, but only have close friends & family on it.
If she doesn't meet after 1 week, move on. Something is wrong if she keeps making excuses & canceling, so don't wast your time.
 NolitaFairytale
Msg: 58
Spotting a fake profile???
Posted: 3/9/2012 6:16:17 PM
There's someone on here pretending to be the Canadian figure skater, Shawn Sawyer.

I don't think I'm allowed to give out usernames, but it's Ottawa, Ontario and he has a pic of Shawn Sawyer and another pic of someone in a ski mask, can't even fully see the person's face so it's a good "fake" pic. No other pics. Most info relating to Shawn Sawyer (zodiac sign, height, etc.) is wrong.
 damsel19
Msg: 59
Posted: 3/9/2012 7:14:11 PM
It is common for flakes and fakes on here and if she doesnt want to meet, then forget her. She may be a schoolgirl playing around or even a schoolboy. There is a programme that susses out fake pics. It is called tin..something or other.
Nothing you can do to validate if she is real at the end of the day except the physical meet. Webcams are cheap enough and have you spoken on the phone? Heard her voice?

I understand women being wary and she may have Facebook etc but doesn't want you on it. I would move on if I were you if she wont meet up in a week or so.
 completelyhappy
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2013 10:11:24 AM
Wish I had known this. This lovely guy contacted me and was very interested and interesting and from out of state so I suggested he stay at our local hotel.

He started saying things like "let's befriends" when he had initially said long term - and the last email from him was "could I book and pay for his hotel". I said no and of course haven't heard from him...
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2013 11:09:42 AM
The person who is most important to listen to is yourself. Listen to your gut...she's canceling for silly reasons? Plan a definite meet and greet in a public place and if she cancels. forget it. And you're right...ya just can't be too careful.
 AndreiShadows
Msg: 64
Posted: 5/8/2013 12:06:08 PM
I'm pretty darn good at this. As a female who has been looking for females before, most of the profiles I came across were fake and so I developed a good eye for this. I can help you spot both women who are using fake pictures, men who are pretending to be women, and scams.
BUT FIRST
Here's how to get them to prove they ARE real:
Ask for cam, IM, or phone number before meeting up
Ask for a picture of them doing something ridiculous (my standard is put your thumb on your chin and your pinky on your nose) that cannot be faked.
Meet up, only way to know 100%

Men pretending to be women:
Has a ridiculously hot picture
Has a unattractive picture up but only has 1 or 2
Is interested in sex, posts sexual comments in profile, wants to pic trade
Speaks in masculine terms (doesn't actually sound like a woman, can be hard to spot but it usually works for me)
Profile is short or nonexistent
Says if you don't trust me that's your fault and you can stop talking to me

Women using fake pictures:
Has a long profile or medium profile
Refuses to send pictures or complains
Says if you don't trust me that's your fault and you can stop talking to me
Sends cropped pictures or only pictures of a "them" in social situations
Doesn't have ANY social media

Scams:
Pretty easy to spot, hot picture, overly friendly, jumps to sex right away and then directs you to a cam site or social media account

Women can be very flaky because for us it's kind of frightening going to meet up a strange man and there is a potential for a dangerous situation. I always cam first then meet up (without giving out my phone number). Some women like me don't send extra pictures because of pic collectors. Some don't give out their number for safety purposes. I was here two years ago and the guys who I met were STILL contacting me trying to get me to hook up with them until I changed numbers a few months ago. I had a Facebook but I would never give it out to someone I met on POF until we established that we were actually friends (never happened lol)
Ask for cam and IM, tumblr, twitter, any social media that's a little more impersonal. Do that before you meet up.
When you've already agreed to meet up, then it is safe to ask for their number and they should be willing to call you or text you. If they're flaking on you, move on to the next one, they aren't interested enough.
Many people on here (men and women) are not actually open to "dating". They can be on here just to pass time. When people are not open, they get flaky, so I say don't waste your time if the girl is too flaky. If she's saying it's for safety reasons respect it, but even I have a way to communicate with men before we meet so they know I'm real. I'm paranoid, but I understand that they have to also know that I'm real. If someone doesn't get that, I wouldn't waste time on them if I were you.
 AndreiShadows
Msg: 65
Posted: 5/8/2013 12:10:00 PM
I wouldn't say that people who are too busy are full of shit. I AM that busy at the moment. I would say, though, that someone who uses busy as an excuse might not have dating as a priority and that can be a deal breaker to certain people.

I currently have two men "on hold" until I'm free to actually date and pay attention to them. I'm not making them wait long (less then a week) and I was honest about my situation and honest about when I would be free. It was up to them to continue pursuing me.
 spot4username
Msg: 67
Posted: 5/8/2013 12:33:52 PM
I was messaged by a little "23" year old the other day. I knew by his one photo that it wasn't him. Sure enough he used the photo of a famous model. I reported it. Not only is it not him but the model he chose is only 17. So he used the photo of an underage kid. Of course I reported it quite some time ago but the profile with the underage photo is still up.
 SimpleCltMan
Msg: 68
Posted: 5/9/2013 12:54:47 PM
I can spot a fake profile from the pictures. They look too produced or they have been altered in some way. I don't know if guys pictures are like that, but there are some women pictures that you KNOW are fake. The dead giveaway... She is WAYYYYY to pretty to need plenty of fish to date. Most women that are a 9 to 10 don't need POF or any dating site. They are flooded with guys hitting on them. And if that hot 9 or 10 woman WANTS to talk to me? I am VERY skeptical that she is real. I did meet a woman which I would say she was a 9, but it was only after talking to her on the phone, checking her facebook, & her sending me a picture with the local paper and date. I just didn't believe her. Why am I not dating her? She was WAYYY out of my league. Guys were hitting on her when I went to the bathroom. She is a sweet lady, but dating her would have been REALLY stressful, very competitive, and not worth fighting every dude in the metro area who things she could do better. Ha... So yes there are fake profiles, but you just have to take it with a grain of salt and be smart about it.
 35brock
Msg: 69
Posted: 5/10/2013 11:30:57 AM
There's a really easy way to check photos. Save the photo on your computer and then go to google images. In the search bar there's a little photo icon on the right hand side, click on that and then you can add the photo and search that way.

Good idea in theory. But google images doesn't always work. People can edit or photoshop pictures enough so that it doesn't show up some image search.

We have been talking about meeting up, for a few days now which you would think validates that she is real, however she has been canceling every time for silly reasons so I am just wondering more and more if she is a genuine profile.

It's also possible that she is simply a flake.
 mizzlemaise
Msg: 70
Posted: 2/22/2016 11:53:32 PM
Plenty of fakes.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 71
Posted: 2/23/2016 6:48:17 AM
a webcam may not be 100% proof..one has to look closely..scammers have been known to feed a 5 or 10 minute loop of an attractive person smiling, gesticulating..unless you are watching closely, you may not notice that the actions repeat..an endless loop..
 south_city
Msg: 72
Posted: 2/23/2016 7:05:16 AM

Good idea in theory. But google images doesn't always work. People can edit or photoshop pictures enough so that it doesn't show up some image search.

Also a lot of pictures from Facebook or Instagram don't show up on a image search.
Posted: 6/13/2016 1:57:14 AM
I noticed in the last year or so that scammers have smarten up about using professional model-like photos and started using more "regular" looking people and fewer of those "pro pics" (although a few months, a Latina with a profile of slick looking photos looked at my profile and when I did a photo search it turned out to be the images of a professional model and when I contacted her FB to tell her that someone is likely using her pics to 'catfish' people, she emailed me that the POF profile was her, so sometimes something too good to be true actually is)

But anyway, a few things I noticed about scammers and time-wasters:
Profiles with lots of "I"s (I like swimming, climbing, etc - I do this and I do that) ... grade-school level writing is filled with "I ..." sentences. Also, be leery if a there is a lack of contraction (like I've, I'm, don't, etc.) I suspect language translations avoid them

Profiles with "stiff" language. It appears that many scammers will come up with a generic profile in their language and then translate it to English and usually it will be checked by someone with decent English language skills who will fix the glaring grammar problems, but it will retain the clumsy tone to it. Recently, I read a perfect example of this, but the scammer changed the text AFTER sending me a PM intended for someone else - in which I replied continuing the conversation ... amazing, I just happen to get a PM from another user who used the same language (and I continuing the conversation as if nothing changed)

A couple of times I would get contacted by real people, but who were just interested in playing text-games ... nothing you can do in advance since they're doing everything right until they text an excuse not to meet. The one who like to string along people are the ones after cancelling their texts get more 'loving and emotional" - I never got emotionally invested in this type of 'texting relationship' so in the end it ends up being practice for my texting skills.

As far as the scammers looking for money, I also claim to have already have sent them the Western Union and I give them a fake Western Union Control Number (MTCN) - its a 10 digit number - and what I'll do is say "I just sent out the $1,000 Western Union for that emergency. The control number is ... I want you to get that money ASAP! With love" - the best case is that the greedy jackasses with spend all day going from WU to WU looking for the phantom money and the worst case is that they check the number and know its fake - either way, the scammers will know that you are screwing with them
 Cowgirlwannabe1
Msg: 74
Posted: 6/13/2016 8:24:38 AM
if they do not use the first person

but say: " am Jeff" or " am looking for a nice woman"

if they call you pretty or my dear

lot of military may be fake
bad grammar

if he gives you his phone number in his first message

if he pushes you to go off site
to email, skype or phone
Posted: 6/14/2016 5:41:45 PM
Also, if anyone has "favorite" you - delete it. It took me a while to figure it out, but scammers pretty much use that function as a bookmark. Scam PMs dropped when I deleted them.
 Red_Fish_Blonde_Fish
Msg: 76
Posted: 6/15/2016 7:11:08 AM
If it is a glaring fake, block/delete, report, etc.

If it is someone you are not sure of & want to meet, plan a coffee or quick/cheap meet asap.

Don't put so much ENERGY into fakey-fakey nonsense.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2016 6:30:49 PM
dont waste any more time with this one is my advice. She clearly is not genuine from what you say and if you dont get the chance to actually see her in the flesh, what choice do you have but to move on...You could ask for her number to call and hear her voice, that should sort things out... I think I know the answer.... dont you?
 IT2018
Msg: 78
Posted: 11/5/2016 6:06:17 AM
I had a very strange experience just recent. Was emailing this lady very nice person and then the day came to meet so she 4 hrs before she tells me I was in a care accident and need to cancel. then he next weekend she says my Son is sick and taking him to the hospital. So I said please be honest and tell me if your interested in me or not. When she blocks me and removes me from Facebook?
 hemingway234
Msg: 79
Posted: 11/5/2016 6:48:55 AM
Shes' either accident prone or not interested. She probably won't be winning the lottery this week!
 PrettyBr0wnEyed1
Msg: 80
Posted: 11/5/2016 10:29:20 AM
I've seen, encountered and observed many catfish on here. I'm waiting for someone to pop up on catfish with a story or many stories. I've only personally encountered one and long story short, I don't know who they were really were, but they were NOT who they were portraying. The person had 2 pics and opted to delete their profile shortly after asking for my email address, so I couldn't go back and reverse search or anything.

Long story short, if something seems sketchy, go with your gut, because it usually is. Hey, I've seen some using Deon Sander's pic, Tupac, some social media relevant people. I've seen a user posing under multiple profiles. I've had a person using fake pics respond stating he was doing to bust her cheating fiance, so it definitely happens a lot on here. If you sense something is odd, it usually is.

1. You can do the reverse image search.
2. Get an alternate number - google voice, snapchat offers users to call without having to exchange numbers and there are tons of free mobile apps.
3. Get a blocking app, just in case.
4. Snapchat is good, because you can exchange video snaps and even cam one another.
5. Don't let a lot of time go before meeting face to face, but use all of the safety factors when meeting.
 hemingway234
Msg: 81
Posted: 11/7/2016 6:30:24 AM
As far as scammers go....... all you have to look for is one thing.... the Nigerian boiler-room scammers ask for your email address (there is no need for email, the messaging system on the dating sites works just fine).

By the way, there is an internet dating guru on the web telling women to give out their email address. Brilliant.
 PrettyBr0wnEyed1
Msg: 82
Posted: 11/7/2016 6:19:28 PM

By the way, there is an internet dating guru on the web telling women to give out their email address. Brilliant.

You always think email route is safe, but it's not.

This one was aggressive and angry and I tracked his "alleged number" down to within a 3 mile radius, but who knows who he really was.

I did end up speaking to him when I gave him my google voice # and the first thing he said was "why won't you meet me?" instead of telling me where he'd seen my photos, because that was the initial ploy that he used.

So I'm not sure if whoever it was if they were a Nigerian scammer or a creepy potential serial killer on here, because some guys that I've seen in my local search have looked like they had that potential.
 LexiInMDR
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2017 5:48:18 PM
Another dead giveaway is when they say they're Catholic, yet they list their status as divorced.

Nothing against Catholics, but the ghostwriters seem to use that one a lot.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2017 5:58:24 AM
My brother was married in a RC church (having been baptised and confirmed in one); he's now on his third marriage after two divorces. Both of my sister's sons were baptised in a RC church, even though she wasn't married. Some views are somewhat outdated.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >