Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > running out of people to email      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 spot4username
Msg: 51
running out of people to emailPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I have messaged every man within a 50 mile radius who I have a genuine interest in. This includes here, OKC, and Match. I have only ever received no thank you or don't message me again responses. I check "new users" every day.
 ShowboatSupreme
Msg: 52
running out of people to email
Posted: 12/5/2015 9:18:06 AM
I feel for the folks in Timbuktu.

I've had gals that were chained to a mortgage 2 hours away in the desert message me.

Sadly, I'm chained to my job 4 miles away.

Skype is as far it'll get :(
 ohenryx
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2015 9:19:54 AM

It's not how many you have emailed--it is the quality of the email...

Dragracer428
There is many who would dispute that, there is an attraction or there is not, it can be that simple.
Could be the subject of another thread but I think it has been multiple times.

Indeed it has, innumerable times. To sum it all up succinctly:

If she doesn’t like your picture, you’re toast, message doesn’t matter in the slightest.

If she thinks you’re hot, you’re in, any message, including “Hi”, will work. (Exception for messages such as “r u dtf?”, unless you look like a young Robert Redford, in which case why in the hell are you on an OLD site anyway?)

Only if you fall into the great grey middle ground does the message matter in the slightest.

spot4username
I have messaged every man within a 50 mile radius who I have a genuine interest in. This includes here, OKC, and Match. I have only ever received no thank you or don't message me again responses. I check "new users" every day.

It’s like the realtors say, “Location! Location! Location!”

Here in Houston, inside the loop, if I do a search for new users within a 50 mile radius, there are hundreds (literally, hundreds if not thousands) of new profiles every single day. Even restricting by age, and throwing out those with no pictures, and those who are clearly unattractive (to me), I would have more each day than the maximum number of messages that this site allows me to send.

Spot, you are clearly a very attractive woman. If you want to date, you are going to have to get off of that island and out into the real world!

ShowboatSupreme
I feel for the folks in Timbuktu.

I've had gals that were chained to a mortgage 2 hours away in the desert message me.

Sadly, I'm chained to my job 4 miles away.

Skype is as far it'll get :(

“4 miles away” ?? You’ve got me beat, my commute is 5.3 miles. But if your commute is only 4 miles, why have you stated before that you bought a fast car (the Corvette) to shorten your commute time? Here, where I live, a fast car would not help the commute time at all, not one whit. Bumper to bumper traffic all the way, average 18 to 20 minutes to go 5.3 miles.

And “2 hours away in the desert” is not that bad. I mean, if she’s really cute, and sounds really lonely, well….
 ShowboatSupreme
Msg: 54
Posted: 12/5/2015 9:38:19 AM
Ohenry,

I start at 530am. I can sleep in longer and drive 100 mph to get to work. No traffic at that time.

It's unfortunate that some folks have no local dating pool per se.

Then again, having a large pool like LA is a whole other issue. Why would I suffer an hour commute to meet someone for a cup of coffee for the slim chance we'll click and she'll rent out her humble abode and move in with me so I can keep bringing home the bacon?

If she has a mortgage and lives more then 25 miles away (1 hour drive in LA), the house odds are against me. I'm no longer a betting man.

Some folks have created their own sense permanence and will struggle to meet someone. Jobs, mortgages...and yeah, some are chained to a scale. The gym rats that don't have time to date because their too busy being fit.

YMMV
 ohenryx
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2015 9:49:59 AM

showboatsupreme
Some folks have created their own sense permanence and will struggle to meet someone. Jobs, mortgages...and yeah, some are chained to a scale. The gym rats that don't have time to date because their too busy being fit.

I work out, not for weight loss, but to maintain a certain level of fitness. Required for dancing, and other fun activities involving women (smile). Recently, a weld broke on my home gym, and I have been going to LA Fitness to work out. I enjoy their facilities, the variety of equipment, the indoor pool, the sauna, etc. But I really feel “out of place” there, the joint is full of “gym rats”. Male and female. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the scenery, a beautiful young woman in spandex sweating like hell while vigorously exercising is a site any man would enjoy.

But I am so far removed from that life style it’s not even funny.

Then again, having a large pool like LA is a whole other issue. Why would I suffer an hour commute to meet someone for a cup of coffee for the slim chance we'll click and she'll rent out her humble abode and move in with me so I can keep bringing home the bacon?

Funny enough, I get this sometimes with my meetup group. We are scattered all over town, and many of the meetups are a good one hour commute, each way. If it sounds interesting, and I have no other plans, why the hell not? I usually have a good time, sometimes a very good time, and it beats the hell out of sitting home watching Netflix alone.

Many of the women only show up for the meetups that are conveniently close to their home, and I always tell them, “Sitting home alone is never going to make things better. Never.”
 Dragracer428
Msg: 56
Posted: 12/5/2015 1:18:47 PM

ohenryx wrote

Here in Houston, inside the loop, if I do a search for new users within a 50 mile radius, there are hundreds (literally, hundreds if not thousands) of new profiles every single day. Even restricting by age, and throwing out those with no pictures, and those who are clearly unattractive (to me), I would have more each day than the maximum number of messages that this site allows me to send.

I love where I live, except for the snow it is heaven but it is a very small place and an island. My search window is from 50-62 and in my area if 2 new profiles show up a week it is a busy week. Since I do not have nearly the appeal of Spotforusername you can see the difficulties. LOL Seeing what you write makes me think "lucky SOB". LOL

Cannot say finances have ever come up, every one I date seems to be in about the same position. Though it does not take long to see that my hobby/obsession chews up up my dollars at a horrific rate.
 Seki1949
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2015 6:06:27 PM

I have messaged every man within a 50 mile radius who I have a genuine interest in...

Very discouraging. Your mailbox should overflowth.
 Seki1949
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2015 6:11:16 PM

If we are talking about the desert to the east of the LA Basin (Palmdale, Lancaster, and other points south), that is what the Fast Car and Week-Ends are for.
 StumbledN
Msg: 59
Posted: 12/5/2015 6:35:47 PM
Msg 52

I have only ever received no thank you or don't message me again responses.

Msg 59

Very discouraging. Your mailbox should overflowth.

Methinks she was being facetious. You should have called B/S on that one.
 Walts
Msg: 60
Posted: 12/6/2015 6:30:16 AM
What's worse?????

Only having a "few" people to pick from, and finding one or two that you are attracted to, or staring at thousands of profiles and not finding one "thing" attractive about anyone of them?
 a_djentleman
Msg: 61
Posted: 12/7/2015 2:56:20 PM

Only having a "few" people to pick from, and finding one or two that you are attracted to, or staring at thousands of profiles and not finding one "thing" attractive about anyone of them?

Where does having hundreds of attractive women to message but zero who'll give you the time of day fall?
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 62
Posted: 12/7/2015 3:21:21 PM

Where does having hundreds of attractive women to message but zero who'll give you the time of day fall?

Into the lap of sobering everyday reality.
 castlehillsmile
Msg: 63
Posted: 12/7/2015 3:54:38 PM
Not only to email.
Real life as well.

On the weekend I had a very handsome man offer me assistance as I was trying to leave a wharf solo on the boat. I said thank you and he offered more assistance letting go lines and pushing the boat away.

When I said thank you he paid me a compliment.. something like.... "For a woman like you I would do anything"
My return comment. "Charming and helpful. What more can a woman want."

His final comments
"Wish you would tell my wife that."
"When are you back here? Want to get together?"
 StumbledN
Msg: 64
Posted: 12/7/2015 4:52:31 PM

His final comments

You should have said "Get together with you wife? Sure! I'll be glad to tell her what I think of you" :-)
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 65
Posted: 12/7/2015 5:32:01 PM

Have any of you out there in POF land ran out of people to email, that are somewhat "attractive" specifically to you?

You can message yourself, you know. I do it all the time.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 66
Posted: 12/7/2015 5:35:27 PM
Is that a euphemism?
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 67
Posted: 12/7/2015 5:58:23 PM
^ A what? Is that one of those new toys?
 a_djentleman
Msg: 68
Posted: 12/7/2015 10:16:17 PM

Into the lap of sobering everyday reality.

Well, at least it's not a bleak outlook... /sarcasm
 dreamriding
Msg: 69
Posted: 12/7/2015 10:19:28 PM

Have any of you out there in POF land ran out of people to email, that are somewhat "attractive" specifically to you?

You can message yourself, you know. I do it all the time.

I text myself. ;)
 castlehillsmile
Msg: 70
Posted: 12/7/2015 10:22:56 PM
Is texting yourself like the other things?

Talking to yourself is the first sign of madness?
Doing other things to yourself will send you blind?
What does texting yourself do?

p.s. I text myself regularly.
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 71
Posted: 12/7/2015 10:25:40 PM
^ You're texting yourself right now, aren't you?
 dreamriding
Msg: 72
Posted: 12/7/2015 10:26:26 PM
we grow hair on our chests?....

I think my phone is dead to my part of the world that I inhabit, sometimes....
 Cowgirlwannabe1
Msg: 73
Posted: 12/8/2015 5:47:39 AM
have you considered trying to do it ' old school' ?
maybe the type of women you are looking for are not on a dating site
 BeckyHT
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2015 9:02:22 AM

On the weekend I had a very handsome man offer me assistance as I was trying to leave a wharf solo on the boat. I said thank you and he offered more assistance letting go lines and pushing the boat away.

When I said thank you he paid me a compliment.. something like.... "For a woman like you I would do anything"

His final comments

This is the secret to happiness.

Because this is flirting. Flirting is what makes another person feel good. Flirting is akin to giving compliments. Don’t you feel happy and very special when you get a compliment?

What a difference we can make in the world by giving compliments! A little more personal pleasantries and a lot less bemoaning about the bad things in this world does promote happiness!

So flirt away! Guys do like to do it, and I like to at times as well!
 ohenryx
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2015 10:48:59 AM

castlehillsmile

His final comments

I like this. I really do. That man has big brass clinkers.

BeckyHT
This is the secret to happiness.

Because this is flirting. Flirting is what makes another person feel good. Flirting is akin to giving compliments. Don’t you feel happy and very special when you get a compliment?

Becky, I’m left wondering if you are on the same wave length as Diana (castlehillsmiles). She was taken aback that the man simultaneously admitted to being married and hit on her anyway. Many women take objection, strong objection, to being hit on by married men.

I’m not married, but I have had many women get offended by my attempts at flirting / hitting on them. I’m too old, I’m too fat, I’m not attractive enough, fill in the blanks. Only men that they find attractive should ever have the nerve to flirt with them / hit on them.

Me, I don’t care. If she’s pretty, and an adult, I’m in the game.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > running out of people to email