Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do people approach dating with an attitude of defeat?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OutMind
Msg: 35
Do people approach dating with an attitude of defeat?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

You make your own reality when it comes to dating.

Awesome statement dude. Just awesome.
 ApacheArrow
Msg: 36
Do people approach dating with an attitude of defeat?
Posted: 12/4/2011 7:48:53 PM
your right, Tiddlorz
I just am not interested anymore in going out with anyone on this site. Tho personalities may click? It just seems to go not go further? I always go with a possitive attitude. But the ending is more negative. So it is very disappointing. I am really just enjoying the forum now. Seems to be my only reason to come on PoF now
 Glenoran1
Msg: 37
Posted: 12/4/2011 9:40:21 PM
Op, a very insightful man once said to me and the other students in a course I was taking, "So you didn't like what you had for dinner two days ago. What does that have to do with what you'll eat tomorrow, or the next day?"

In context, his example reminded us that our future experiences don't have to reflect our past ones unless we continue the same pattern or make the same choices.

Expectations are either based on past experiences or an attempt to avoid repeating past experiences. The alternative is to make a strong, feelinged decision that, when the timing is right for you and the most compatible mate for you, the two of you will meet. Since you won't know if this one you're about to meet is 'that one', you go in with an open mind and a wait-and-see attitude. That way, if it IS him/her, it is validation of your decision and self-confidence, and you know the time was finally right for the two of you. If it isn't the one you seek, you thank them for their time and await your next opportunity with a feeling of 'no harm, no foul'.

At least, that's how I look at it.
 abelian
Msg: 38
Posted: 12/4/2011 10:22:54 PM
Does anyone feel like they approach dates expecting to be disappointed?

I always went in with a positive attitude and for the most part, I had a pleasant evening even if I was disappointed in some way and nothing came of it. If you had decent conversations before you met, you should at least be able to enjoy the evening regardless of whether or not you want to see the person again. Why would you bother to meet someone if you expected to be disappointed?

There has got to be a reason why so many of us have been unsuccessful. But regardless, after many failed dates, you can't help but become burned out on the whole system.

Well, you've gone out with 11 guys and you've been on pof 14 months. I would meet that many women in a little over a month when I was still dating. You can't be successful unless you actually meet people and go on dates.

When I'm attracted to a guy, we don't have enough in common.

Broaden your horizons. Get used to talking to people about what interests them. If you can talk in depth on most anything, then you will have more in common with more guys.
 Greatcatch12345
Msg: 40
Posted: 12/5/2011 4:24:12 AM
well..ur friend is giving you some valuable insight.You seem to be one of 'those'..That 'click' u are referring to..that expects 'love at first sight".And you're looking and critiquing every little thing..his eyebrows are too bushy...his nails arent polished...his belly is a little bigger than pic....his teeth aren't perfectly straight and bright white..etc,...etc...
I go into every date with a positive attitude..and can spot someone like you. Usually conversation is limited..body language is horrific....and eye contact is minimal. You are expecting to be swept off your feet by Don Juan...give the average guy a chance. Perfection aint out there..and i bet if you look in the mirror..u can find some faults as well...
 mustardmoon
Msg: 41
Posted: 12/5/2011 6:46:31 AM
Wow, I don't even know how to respond to all this. The funny thing is, that some of you are saying I haven't met enough people, while others are saying I've met alot compared to them. I guess it's all relative.

This is the deal. I'm not going to message and text someone for weeks only to meet them and not hit it off. That is a lot of blown time. If you can tell by the pic that there may be some attraction there, and you seem to get along messaging and texing, I say go ahead and meet. Why spend countless hours talking to someone with whom there may be absolutely no chemistry?

One other thing is that many people embellish their profiles with hobbies and interests that really don't hold true once you meet them. Many times the pics they post of themselves are inaccurate. I've been told by many men that they are tired of meeting women who are a good 40lbs heavier in person than in their pics. And no, looks aren't everything. But fake pics are a form of lying. I think that's the bottom line on POF. Lots and lots of lies and misleading information. I think it's rather sad. How does anyone expect to have a genuine relationship when they can't even be truthful in a dating profile? That is the stuff that is making me "cynical".
 Greatcatch12345
Msg: 42
Posted: 12/5/2011 11:56:08 AM
drop the dinner & movie thingy from ur profile...on a first date. It gives the apperance of wanting a free meal..and how can anyone get to know u during a movie?
 MikeWM
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2011 12:00:51 PM
I think foot fetishists might because its all about defeat for them innit
 Johnnie Freeze
Msg: 44
Posted: 12/5/2011 12:25:55 PM
Yep, this is why dont "date". I just *hang out* with friends..and if we click and want to *hang out* again, we'll do so..if we decide we like each other beyond platonic friends that it'll happen naturally.
 Linda136
Msg: 45
Posted: 12/5/2011 3:28:09 PM
I would think that you would know what you're walking into on that first "date", "encounter". Don't you email, text, talk on phone to see if there are some connections that a first encounter would expand upon?

I have not been on many "first encounters", but the ones I went on I knew enough that I was very hopeful things would work out and our relationship would just grow and deepen over time. We knew what we both looked like, we liked some of the same things. I liked his voice. We both were looking for the same thing - or so I thought, but apparently not since they didn't work out.

I guess I'm naive enough to think that what a man says to me is what he means. I say what I mean and mean what I say so I assume others do the same. Oh well, I digress...
 No_Fancy_Name
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2011 7:41:57 PM
MikeWM:

Foot fetishists "shoes" defeat over "sock-cess".

I'll go get some professional help now - I obviously need some after that statement.
 _shakti_
Msg: 48
Posted: 12/5/2011 9:15:37 PM
When I was dating, I went through phases on this. I would get out there and go on dates with an open minded and positive attitude, only to have things not work out a few times in a row and then begin to feel drained and negative. At those times I would take myself off the market and recharge.. and the cycle would begin anew..

I find the whole process to be exhausting to be honest and the prospect of dating again is looking far from tantalizing at this point.
 _shakti_
Msg: 49
Posted: 12/5/2011 9:25:52 PM
An underground queen? Not sure what that is supposed to mean, I must have misplaced my decoder ring somewhere...

Let me assure you that if what I truly wanted was some ego assuaging experience, that could quite easily be attained.

I'm not interested in meeting anyone right now, dating or otherwise. Thanks for your very illuminating comments though.
 ZsaZsa23
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/5/2011 10:07:38 PM
I just know over the last ten years I have had two long term relationships and had the same feeling that I would not meet anyone. It is self sabotaging and it would help if I did not think that way.
 LegendaryD
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2011 11:14:39 PM
After so many failed attempts, I've thrown in the gauntlet.

Heck, 99.9% of users can't even give a simple response.

Ah well, there's still hope.
 FitAt55
Msg: 52
Posted: 12/6/2011 4:37:52 AM
My goodness...y'all sure don't paint a very pretty picture here. Still - it's just one tool in the toolbox. I still think that the "old-fashioned" way of meeting people that you come across in the normal course of the day to be the best. You can pretty much gauge mutual attraction instantly and then take it from there.

It is kind of strange though - having been involved with various fitness sites where you can chat up just about anybody and can bank on getting a warm & friendly response to a message - the non-responses to friendly, well-mannered messages that one gets here are a little hard to get used to.
 ro1970
Msg: 53
Posted: 12/6/2011 4:45:27 AM
If I am so lucky to even GET a first date, I got into it with ZERO expectations, and that has served me well.

While I have made some friends on here I chat with from time to time, I don't even bother with the prospects of dating any longer. Too many times I personally have not been given a "fair chance" when I have given them to the other party.

So I am through with dating and relationships and just hang out on the forums and chat with my friends.

htownmilkman
Msg: 54
Posted: 12/6/2011 4:59:25 AM
I really dont think you should go on a date with anyone until you have talked to them through email or phone conversation for at least a month.You have to get to know the person see if you have a common interest. I wouldnt go out on a date unless you were just bored and didnt have anything better to do that particular day,but to go out just to see if that person is going to have a love coonection with you is a set up for disaster.Be careful out there.
 christyis4real
Msg: 55
Posted: 12/6/2011 5:35:35 AM
I go through sorta similiar.... this is what causes me to NOT date. I approach dates expecting to be rejected. So, I form an opinion on the date even before it starts. I've only went on dates with maybe 7 from this site and really 2 have not worked out in any kind of way so I have no clue why I feel this way. Maybe because none of them have really worked out FULLY. So, i basically go into it thinking that "it's not going to be a great date and they won't like me" mindset.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 56
Posted: 12/6/2011 5:44:54 AM

When I was dating, I went through phases on this. I would get out there and go on dates with an open minded and positive attitude, only to have things not work out a few times in a row and then begin to feel drained and negative. At those times I would take myself off the market and recharge.. and the cycle would begin anew..

I find the whole process to be exhausting to be honest and the prospect of dating again is looking far from tantalizing at this point.

I have had the same experiences, on & off...I did meet a few decent guys over the years though...

when I go through the re-charge- this is what I do:

#1- evaluate my choices in as far as who I agreed to meet & refused- maybe my picker was off???
#2- evaluated myself...was I overdressed, too chunky, too thin, too underdressed, etc. did I stay when I should have left & vice versa???
#3- extraneous factors...or stacking the odds in my favors...I am a FIRM believer in "Halloweenie Season" that from prior to Thanksgiving through Valentines Day, the majority of ONLINE attempts will not materialize, so use that time to "recharge" especially where I live-cold dark winters, etc. Another extraneous factor, sort of, is weeding them out...no pics, one word emails, too many pics, epic novel emails, etc.
Also focus on IRL. Alot of people who got fed up w/ the internet turned to singles dances, meetups or just pursuing their own interests.
#4- evaluate your own ad, pictures, even choice of site. There are many sites that are off-beat, geared towards folks w/ specific interests...biker sites, geek sites, S&M B&D sites, christian/catholic sites, BBW, inter racial, etc. Maybe you would be better connected in one of them...and, for booty call, there's always AFF, LOL
 mustardmoon
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/6/2011 6:45:14 AM
Virtuallylove, I find it fascinating that women are willing to message and talk on the phone with you for a month or more. Recently, I've had guys asking me for my phone number after I respond to them one time. Then they are asking me what I'm doing the following night. Of course I'm not moving that quickly. I usually block guys like that, but I've found that most people want to move fast on this site. For one thing, you can just tell so much more about a person upon meeting them. Their facial expressions, mannerisms, how they treat other people in your presence. Seeing someone in person if very different from talking on the phone or texting and quite frankly, I lose interest in doing a bunch of messaging for lengthy periods of time.

Anyway, alot of you have given some interesting insights and advice. I will definitely consider all of it as I'm moving forward:)

_shakti_
Msg: 60
Posted: 12/6/2011 7:27:50 AM
VirtuallyLove:
It could've been worse. You could've been called an "overground queen." They're so much more ditzy, which I don't think fits you well at all.
Lol.. thanks.. I think? But don't forget to worship me like a God, that is what I want after all

I detest the very idea of dating. Performing certain rather formalized rituals seems at odds with getting to know someone - which I think should proceed in a more natural manner. Get to know someone, then do fun things with them, has been my motto.
I totally agree.

The whole fast food concept of dating is a bit lost on me.

To that end, I prefer more intimate settings for the "getting-to-know" period - a walk, picnic in a park, home-cooking, that kind of thing. And lots of bikram yoga and tantric sex, of course.
Tantric sex might be jumping the gun just a tad, lol..
 jennarosa
Msg: 61
Posted: 12/6/2011 12:18:24 PM
Hi: I am the opposite, I am very much hoping to meet the right man. Most of the time, it doesn't work. I think they want a 20 year old and I am not it. Thanks for listening.
 mustardmoon
Msg: 63
Posted: 12/6/2011 5:35:32 PM
Virtuallylove, I'm going to be a bit nosy here. Why would you even want to start a relationship with someone who lived 500 miles away? Being in a relationship is about having someone special in your life that you can see and touch on a regular basis. I'm sorry, but I just don't get the concept of long distance relationships. I don't think I would be at all fulfilled with that life style. But each to his own, right?
 Sniper308
Msg: 64
Posted: 12/6/2011 6:01:18 PM

Absolutely.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do people approach dating with an attitude of defeat?