Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LegendaryD
Msg: 6
view profile
History
What's your dating cut-off for Christmas?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
It's interesting really:

I noticed an increase of my profile views this month. Usually I would go a handful of months without any views. It's always the month of December for me. Heh.

But I won't dwell, nor brood if I'm alone for the holidays. As long as I have those that matter to me-- all should be fine.
 mysterychick63
Msg: 7
view profile
History
What's your dating cut-off for Christmas?
Posted: 12/9/2011 12:38:15 AM
I know your post is serious to you, but you put a smile on my face! Even made me chuckle a little. THERE IS NO 'RIGHT OR WRONG' TIME! Last winter I was kinda feeling like you are... awkward to meet someone around the holidays. So, I spent the months of Dec & Jan REALLY shopping through the profiles. I started getting serious about what I wanted mid January. When I narrowed my search down to 3 men, I spent the following weeks spending equal phone time with all 3 to get to know them further. Waited until the week AFTER Valentines, (cheesy holiday) to hook up with them. By the end of February, I chose the one I wanted to date. I spent time getting to know him, did a lot of things with him. I even thought I might be in LOVE with him! Long story short, I was so happy to have a "someone special" to share the holidays with! Well, after investing a lot of time & emotion.......... it ended the week after Thanksgiving. The point here is.... No matter how careful you plan..... timing ISN'T all that important. Let love happen whenever it may! Good luck & Merry Christmas to you!! :)
 StraylightRunn
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/9/2011 1:28:20 AM
My cut off date is usually the first day below 70 degrees. By that time women aren't wearing short skirts and attempting to attract me with a lack of clothing. Because I find this undesirable I cut it off until next summer.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/9/2011 5:16:36 AM
An experienced dater such as moi subscribes to the "Halloweenie" Theory- that the time frame from post Halloween thru till AFTER V-day is riddled w/ emotional & financial drama, so until 2-15-12, all intelligent single life form would be wise to
#1-limit themself to FWB or FB or masturbation for sexual release
#2- if u want a real relationship & are a guy w/ limited finances OR cheap- wait till after
#3- if u r a woman w/ a sensitive nature & a romantic soul, dodge the bullet of disappointment & pain by hiding out till 2-15-12

generous, affluent men & tough hearted women can weather the storm

Me, I had my heart broken during this time frame & I am a sensitive soul, so I will hibernate my heart
PS-be sure to have your last hurrah in a very HOT halloween costume b4 u break up or are dumped...go out w/ a bang, so to speak!
 Paderic
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/9/2011 6:43:09 AM
I don't understand why you wouldn't want to meet someone new just because of the winter solstice.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/9/2011 8:18:09 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i used to be a trusting soul...deep down I still am, but had a really bad experience 11 years ago that has scarred me 4 life it was this time of year
 femaleconnection
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/9/2011 8:21:23 AM
I dont turn off meeting anyone just because Christmas is right around the corner...let life take all the twists and turns it will take and stop trying to control everything.

Why would anyone purposely turn away from meeting someone new? You never know when someone awesome will enter your life-trying to tie that to a calendar doesnt make sense to me.

No one says you have to invite them to anything you have already planned...

But, that's just me.
 dondea
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2011 8:27:23 AM
If you are alone and have no plans or just going to visit family, why have a dating cut-off date? You may miss an opportunity of a lifetime.
 mariacba
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/9/2011 3:48:52 PM
Don't think or plan too much,just feel,do waht your heart tells you.Love happens at any time
Merry chirstmas
mariacba
 MikeWM
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2011 4:24:26 PM
Pmsl

Was only just talking about this with somebody on here last night

I've tended to avoid ANY form of interaction even casual or purely physical ones from the middle to the end of november right up until after valentines day as there seems to be a LOT of people who go out of their way (perhaps subconciously) to avoid being "alone" for those two periods

You also tend to see a lot of very illmatched couples forming in those time periods too where their coupling "limps" along until just after whichever of the two it started not long before

So the first week of the new year and feb 15th to the end of the month both seem to have huge amounts of recently formed relationships falling apart in quite dramatic fashions which is far from being a coincidence IMO

And being totally honest, although I'm not really a huge fan of either of those annual "events" I do also allow for the fact that however objective I might think I am, underneath all of that I'm just as human as anyone else. And just as capable of being influenced by my own subconcious without realising it too.

So I have never classed the period between november and feb15th as being a "good" time to start any form of ongoing non platonic interaction
 Walts
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/9/2011 4:29:50 PM
It's not the season itself kidlets, it's the "expectations" of some during this season, and other little holidays that can drive a person around the bend. I was invited to a Christmas party last weekend by someone I just met, and I asked her why???? Point blank answer,,," I don't have a date". I asked her why she couldn't go by herself, and she mumbled sumttin about going to the party "alone", and her feeling uncomfortable,etc. Soooooo, I answered,,,,""you want me to go so you can be "comfortable" in front of your co-workers????? What happens after I had my tenth whiskey and I start doing my nakey dance on our table?????"" She took that as a "no". Of course,she found "someone" to go with her.

I know (not think) that an awful lot of people feel the pain of being "alone" for the holidays,etc. It's a time when this lonliness is magnified because of the fairy tale stories that have been told. Hell, Christmas specials always seem to have a little love affair and a newly matched up couple. Of course, they NEVER tell ya the story after January 1st,,,,NEVER. Reality usually kicks in around January 7th.

I don't shut down my heart at this time of the year,in fact, it opens up, to the point, I'm easy pickings,if I let myself be. But, at this time of year, I'm keenly aware of some people's reasons to have "another" around. I don't like some of those reasons, so my brain is always very close to that open heart of mine.

So, no "official" cut off date for me, but, I'm also not gonna jump into anything just because I get the warm and fuzzies in this heart of mine. Hell, at this time of year, all it takes for the tears to get rolling is to listen to Faith Hill sing "Where are ya Christmas". Gets me EVERYtime.
 bhri
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/10/2011 12:41:31 AM
Do the mature thing and talk about it early. If you find someone that you like, then after a date or two, bring the subject up. Just say that it is still early and that you do not want any undo pressure between the two of you at this time. Set some arbitrary limit like $5 and make a game of it to see who can get the best present by spending the least. Just because some people make more of an effort around this time should not turn you off. But if you set a cut off because you do not have any time to devote to a date, well, that is something entirely different.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 27
Posted: 12/10/2011 2:09:29 PM
Same as the rest of the year for me. I don't look to date, if it happens it happens. So this time of year if I meet someone - that's fine, I'll go with it but probably keep it light and more casual until the holidays are over.
 Debisusanne
Msg: 28
Posted: 12/10/2011 2:32:13 PM
i've never even thought about christmas as being a block to dating.

But i can see now that the lonely.. get lonelier at this time.. and then there are the desperate.. blah

But.. who will i kiss on New years eve??.. oh nooooooo
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/14/2011 8:10:47 PM
Duuuuuuude; as long as there are crockpots of turkey n chutney stewin n rum n eggnog drinks to be had; I'm available as the month is cold!!

Accept for Christmas Eve....and day

(Callll meeee)

kissmeyoufool
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/15/2011 10:32:47 PM
I LOVE to over-analyze everything...and this thought never even crossed my mind!
Bahgeezurs...I wouldn't even THINK of buying a gift for someone I had just met in December, nor accepting one. (Well, maybe a card or even a candy cane...)
It's just another month...enjoy it!
 Debisusanne
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/16/2011 8:17:18 AM

Now is the time to break up with someone, not start a new relationship.

lol.. right.. I have HAD one b/f break up with me before christmas.. to avoid gift exchange..

**But one funny dating story.. (wasnt funny at the time)

I was on a 1st date with this fellow.. he had expressed that he would be home on christmas all alone.. Kids were going to the Ex's... and that was true for me too.. So, I invited him over for a christmas feast.. (yaya.. i know not a good 2nd date thing)

Well.. the poor guy forgot to tell me he was extremely diabetic.. and dinner was late.....
Long story short.. He had a massive diabetic seizure.. I called the paramedics.. and they "revived" him.. the romance of the evening was dead.. and SO was my appetite.. :))
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >