Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Christmas/holiday dating and the no gifting rule      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 barbiebabeRN
Msg: 26
Christmas/holiday dating and the no gifting rulePage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
And the no dating from Nov. to after Feb. is an Old Husbands Tale!
 pillowprincess72
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Christmas/holiday dating and the no gifting rule
Posted: 12/10/2011 2:24:58 PM
Controversial OP, and are you living by these same rules this Holiday Season?
 free4all131220
Msg: 28
Posted: 12/10/2011 4:04:42 PM
I see nothing wrong with giving a Christmas gift to someone you just started dating, just don't get silly, don't go overboard on the dollar amount, also don't get anything too personal(stay away from the lingerie..sp?) so soon. no jewelry 'til you've been exclusive for a while. a small flower gift of some kind(no red roses)would be fine, along with a friendly(not too romantic)card
 arwen52
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2011 4:52:18 PM
Who made up these rules?

I don't agree to them.

Do what makes sense to you.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/10/2011 5:03:32 PM
No rules...

Get a gift if you want to...don't get a gift if you don't want to....simple.
 TerrieLynnC
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/10/2011 5:22:14 PM
I don't agree with the OP's timeline.......

I say if your lucky enough to meet someone new during this time of year just take it easy and hang out and see what happens.........I think the gift part is fine and is just up to each individual but I do agree that you shouldn't go overboard......something nice but simple.
 lacalli
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/10/2011 5:23:17 PM
see nothing wrong with giving a Christmas gift to someone you just started dating, just don't get silly, don't go overboard on the dollar amount, also don't get anything too personal(stay away from the lingerie..sp?) so soon. no jewelry 'til you've been exclusive for a while. a small flower gift of some kind(no red roses)would be fine, along with a friendly(not too romantic)card

Me neither. I like giving gifts and they don't have to be a big deal. It's a nice feeling finding something you know someone will like and letting them know you were thinking about them. Last week I actually mailed a Christmas gift to a good female friend I see once a year on vacation back East. I found something totally perfect for her in a catalog. If I was dating someone and I found something I knew he'd like I'd get it for him. I'm glad the OP reminded me not to date for those crucial 4 months per year. I guess Easter and 4th of July are not off limits.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2011 5:27:04 PM
"LMAO! I remember the "pre hump" agreement thread from a couple of years back.
Now that was funny shit.."

Thanks, I wrote that funny shit...it's still on the humor forum if you want the link...don't pass up an opportunity to shameless self promote!

On to the regularly scheduled topic........wow, OP, you sound like you'd be a hoot to meet! I think you should post your holiday dating rules on your profile, maybe even a T shirt?

I'd guess some woman scammed you (or it seemed to you) for a lot of money, you seem really hung up on that which is fine (for you). I have a lot of helpful suggestions of ways to creatively and legally be able to write off any money you may (cough) spend on a date. I am a qualified professional, but I digress....

What I try to avoid, which DOES seem to present more during the holidays is the "I'm so tired of being alone" men. Gee, it's such a turn-on, someone wants to date ME because they're tired of being alone...I'm so touched! (sarcasm OFF).

It's a shame for you that you attach such strings to the very idea of and meaning of a gift. It's a joy to buy and do things for people that are special to you. Buying a gift for any other reason is a waste, and NOT a gift at all. Barter, swap, guilt...yeah THAT'S fun!

So yeah hide your sexy, attractive self away and deprive all these lonely women, that's your choice. Seriously, thanks for doing any potential interest the favor.
 ro1970
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/10/2011 5:35:54 PM
I don't agree with any of these timelines on here........

I've pretty much cut off dating.......all year around..........

No dating, period....end of statement, full stop, case closed.

Why???? doesn't have anything to do with holidays and gifts........

there's just nobody out there I want to date....not to mention the fact there isn't anybody WORTH dating....pure, plain, and simple........
 AnEvilgenius
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/10/2011 5:53:50 PM
People have always told me I'm special and gifted, so my company should be enough.

I'd love the link..he he he..
 YpsiJoe
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2011 11:19:42 AM
WTF, seriously there has to be rules on what months you can meet someone new. Love does not have those kind of controls. I have met new loves at all times of the year. I have never put any kind of rule on how I should go about it. Why do you think it matters when you meet someone. In fact I have meet someone at a Christmas party before. In terms of buying them gifts I think the normal rules of dating apply. Only you know where your relationship is at. But according to the love guru that posted this topic knows best, so everyone should turn down a perfect opportunity if it comes your way because its two weeks before christmas. Sorry dude but that is complete rubbish. I guess we know why you are on POF. I mean last year you probably had a supermodel in your house to pick you up for a date but you did not go out with her because it was new years eve. The year before you had to light your advent wreath for christmas and did not go out with anyone new. Hey is it ok if I go on a date on Columbus day, or flag day? maybe those days are important holidays for her and she would reject me for daring asking her out on such occasions. I think Cinco De Mayo might be the only holiday that it is ok, but then I get to pump her full of tequela and see how her and Jose get along.
 CountryTyger
Msg: 37
Posted: 12/11/2011 11:44:08 AM
LOL anevilgenius. I agree 100%. I don't play by a "rulebook". If a man has to have a "when it's ok to date and when it's not" calander, I'll pass, in a heartbeat!
 Walts
Msg: 38
Posted: 12/11/2011 1:34:00 PM
An example of what happens when people "start" seeing each other during these holidays is now in "Ask a Girl". Only one example,,,but, it's there.
 CountryTyger
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/11/2011 1:54:07 PM
My oldest son and his g/f met in between Thanksgiving and Christmas. 4 years later, they're still together with 2 kids. Not everything is black and white and should be on a calendar. It's about the people involved. No, not every relationship works out like that. But, dating someone in July isn't going to be any different than dating someone in between holidays. Anyone with common sense is going to know that the person they're dating will already have other plans, or will make adjustments to theirs to include you in them. It's not rocket science.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 40
Posted: 12/12/2011 11:36:45 AM
I say screw the rules. Two ADULTS can discuss how they want to handle the events around the holidays and they can do exactly what works for them.

Like anything in life, the issues can be resolved with communication.
 JustBrad67
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2011 4:57:08 PM

Who made up these rule?

Lex and Terry. Two wise men I've been listening to for several years.

Controversial OP, and are you living by these same rules this Holiday Season?

If I were available and started dating someone new, yes, I would live by them.
 Sully8545
Msg: 42
Posted: 12/12/2011 5:02:52 PM
No wonder why some people have so much trouble dating. Can you make it any more complicated??
 friends_first_
Msg: 43
Posted: 12/12/2011 6:53:11 PM
Why no dating season from November to February? I just joined pof in November. lol If that's the rules I hope it doesn't apply to all the men on this site. If it does they should just close off pof through those months of the year. lol
 southmeetswest
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2011 8:02:29 PM
merry christmas rock man!
i thought that was you, you evil genius...
good to see you again.
kaylee
 forumiteinca
Msg: 45
Posted: 12/9/2013 5:35:12 PM
An old thread but relevant once again. Gift giving at any time of the year or any occasion is always a challenge. What to give; what value should the gift be; what is the message being conveyed in the gift giving, and so on. It is easier to just wait until after Xmas and the New Year and then have some time to worry about Valentine's Day.
 arlo2
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2013 5:40:08 PM
Sorry. no hunting from Halloween until after Valentine's day. Till then, it's "wabbit season" :)
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/9/2013 8:30:55 PM
AnEvilGenius once said:

People have always told me I'm special and gifted, so my company should be enough.

Now, that's funny!!!! hahahahahahah and then some :)
 SuzieQForForums
Msg: 48
Posted: 12/9/2013 9:15:24 PM
Well my Match membership runs out Jan 10th so guess I planned this all wrong.
As for falling hard during the holidays, that's just silly. I can fall hard anytime, LOL.
 SWEET_MAVERICK
Msg: 49
Posted: 12/10/2013 9:19:50 AM

Sorry. no hunting from Halloween until after Valentine's day. Till then, it's "wabbit season" :)

It used to be called "Halloweenie Season" generally from Halloween thru V-day, it's no mans land!

I would advise anyone who was going to go on a pay site to sign up on 2-15, period. Date smarter!
 Classicalish
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/10/2013 2:24:03 PM

Lex and Terry. Two wise men I've been listening to for several years.

Hahahahaha!!! I always think about them when I meet someone between Thanksgiving and Valentine's Day.

I hate the holiday season and don't want gifts from anyone. I just started seeing someone who had a birthday coming up, and when he (jokingly) asked what I was getting him, I said, "Nothing. A blow job." Those are always good to give.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Christmas/holiday dating and the no gifting rule